• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Halcyon

Does anybody have an opinion of 10000000? I am thinking about getting it but I get really bored with mobile games so I'm not positive spending 2 dollars is going to be worth it.

I like the idea of it with the graphical style and the bejeweled stuff, but the way I like to play these mobile games is for 5 minutes on a break. I can't spend 30 minutes trying to see how far I can get so if that's really the "end game" for this then i'm not sure i'll want to buy it.

Chairhome

Hope its not really against the spirit of this thread, but has anyone played Heads Up? Its a party game, not really a video game. Its like charades or other guessing games. Basically you have one person guessing an answer while other people try to act out or give clues to what it is. Pretty cheap, and they have themed answer decks, they just released a Video Game one. Really enjoyed playing it during the holidays. Recommended for when you want to kill time with a group of friends. My brother mentioned seeing people playing it while waiting in line at theme parks.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wb.headsup

Does anybody have an opinion of 10000000? I am thinking about getting it but I get really bored with mobile games so I'm not positive spending 2 dollars is going to be worth it.

I like the idea of it with the graphical style and the bejeweled stuff, but the way I like to play these mobile games is for 5 minutes on a break. I can't spend 30 minutes trying to see how far I can get so if that's really the "end game" for this then i'm not sure i'll want to buy it.
I'm not sure if it's worth it. It's of like bejeweled, but it's the type of puzzle game where over and over again in short bursts to save up resources to buy upgrades and to make it farther. There's not much replay value, but if you play in short bursts it'll take awhile to beat.

I'd say get it. It lasted me a good 8 hours or so.

Halcyon

I'm not sure if it's worth it. It's of like bejeweled, but it's the type of puzzle game where over and over again in short bursts to save up resources to buy upgrades and to make it farther. There's not much replay value, but if you play in short bursts it'll take awhile to beat.

I'd say get it. It lasted me a good 8 hours or so.

I will pull the trigger on it later. My rotation of games goes:

Tiny Death Star
Castleville
Papa Pear Saga
Arc Squadron

I can tell that i'm coming to the point in castleville where it will be impossible without spending money on it, so replacing it with a fully paid game would work for me.

Edit: I bought it and played it for about an hour. I like it...I think. I also might hate it. Ive been trained via the other jewel type matching games to look at these things a certain way, but you can't match them that way in this game which I find sort of infuriating and sometimes the "runs" only last 30 seconds or so.

VoidZero

Banned
iKoid has a new Bundle: https://ikoid.com/deal/bundle-4-dark-soul

It contains: Critical Missions: SWAT, Call of Cthulhu: Wasted Land, Ku: Shroud of the Morrigan, Cryptic Caverns HD and Lemegeton Master Edition(which is locked).
Looks interesting and the price seems right.

Also I was looking for a ccg or a deck building game and found Empire, has anyone tried it and can share some thoughts?

iKoid has a new Bundle: https://ikoid.com/deal/bundle-4-dark-soul

It contains: Critical Missions: SWAT, Call of Cthulhu: Wasted Land, Ku: Shroud of the Morrigan, Cryptic Caverns HD and Lemegeton Master Edition(which is locked).
Looks interesting and the price seems right.

Also I was looking for a ccg or a deck building game and found Empire, has anyone tried it and can share some thoughts?

Anyone else having awful problems with the controls for the cthulhu game? I'm trying to tap things and nothing happens.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Hey there folks. My review of Shiva: The Time Bender is up. Plays like "My First Runner", but if you're looking for an easy time or something to keep the kids busy for a while, you could do worse.

http://www.gamezebo.com/games/shiva-time-bender/review

In Shiva: TTB, time may be the only thing on your side, as legions of enemies from history’s most pitfall ridden locations do their worst in an attempt to thwart a punk rock caveman from capturing a plethora of crystal orbs littering the timescape…or something like that. The narrative isn’t very important here, but it does tie in nicely with the game’s main mechanic.

bigf00t

I've been playing a bunch of Hoplite lately. Really fun little tactical dungeon crawler, and fairly challenging in the later levels. It's really more of a procedurally generated puzzle game than an rpg. Reminds me a bit of Desktop Dungeons. The game is free and there are no IAP, but you can pay $2 to buy the full version of the game and unlock deeper dungeons.

Drake

Reading this thread makes me sad. I should have gotten a Nexus 7 instead of a Kindle Fire HD. I could root my Kindle, but I have too much stuff on there that I don't want to lose in the event that it fucks up during the rooting process.

Pau

Yeah, those are good, though they are more similar to Advance Wars than FE.
Hmm. I'm not too huge on Advance Wars. I guess that means that the units aren't unique and don't level up the way they do in Fire Emblem?

Has anyone gotten Spectral Souls? It sounds like the PSP version had a lot of issues with load time but that doesn't seem to be the case for Android.

I'm not really expecting a game that's as deep as SRPG's you find on other platforms, but just something to do when I'm bored and only have my phone with me.

Hmm. I'm not too huge on Advance Wars. I guess that means that the units aren't unique and don't level up the way they do in Fire Emblem?

Has anyone gotten Spectral Souls? It sounds like the PSP version had a lot of issues with load time but that doesn't seem to be the case for Android.

I'm not really expecting a game that's as deep as SRPG's you find on other platforms, but just something to do when I'm bored and only have my phone with me.

I picked up Spectral Souls over Christmas when it was on sale. It is so much better then the PSP version. No lag or slowdown on my Note 2. The Hyperdevbox ports are going to be the biggest and deepest SRPGs on the market right now and I would say that they are worth it.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Can anyone recommend some SRPG's on Android? Something in the vein of Fire Emblem.

If you don't mind some low-down, hardcore shit you could try Battle for Wesnoth.

I love a good SRPG but this shit is just too hardcore for my punk ass. I don't know if I've ever beat more than a battle or two, and I've tried more than once. It's really tough.

Try the PC version for free over at http://www.wesnoth.org/ . It's older than the hills. Seriously, this is really in-depth. Fair warning, come prepared for frustration.

Qvoth

record of agarest war
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hyperdevbox.agarestwar

Halcyon

I'm finally getting around to installing Bard's Tale. I'm looking forward to it, but it requires 3.5 gigs so I most likely will try and beat it then uninstall because I don't have a ton of room left on my Nexus 7.

Has anyone played it?

Zafir

I'm finally getting around to installing Bard's Tale. I'm looking forward to it, but it requires 3.5 gigs so I most likely will try and beat it then uninstall because I don't have a ton of room left on my Nexus 7.

Has anyone played it?
Ive played it a bit on my s4 and it seemed to play decent enough. I had to delete it for the same reason though.
I believe it is the same one as the PS3, 360, and Steam version. I think the Steam version has a different name but it is the same game.
It's regional name differences. Steam version was published by Ghostlight a uk company who released the EU ps3 version. They're both called Agarest: generations of war. NA version was released later and they used a different name, record of agarest war.

emb

Much to my surprise, I just won a tablet at work. It seems pretty cool, but I really don't know what to do with it so far. I figured I should probably play some games.

I downloaded Angry Birds and Cut the Rope since they were popular. Both are fun enough but for whatever reason the ads were really annoying to me. I'm pretty sure that most any free apps would have something like that for monetization.

So it's a pretty obnoxious, maybe selfish question, but are there any highly recommended games that are free, have no ads, and have no in-app purchases? Doubt there's much like that, but it can't hurt to ask. If nothing like that, then maybe some recs were those things are extremely non-intrusive and hard to notice? I see the list in the op (and I'll probably try out a few regardless), but from my quick skim I didn't see much mention of ad/purchase annoyances one way or the other.

Get the amazon app store. They give out a random(I think) app every day, so you could probably get some free games that way. Paid versions too.

What kind of tablet did you get?

Geedorah

Get the amazon app store. They give out a random(I think) app every day, so you could probably get some free games that way. Paid versions too.

Amazon actually negotiates a deal with whoever is putting the app out - from what I understand the dev's don't make revenue but they are offered free publicity. Beware some apps have some crazy permissions, otherwise it is a great deal and I've gotten some really fun games that way for free.

Amazon actually negotiates a deal with whoever is putting the app out - from what I understand the dev's don't make revenue but they are offered free publicity. Beware some apps have some crazy permissions, otherwise it is a great deal and I've gotten some really fun games that way for free.

Yeah, I like to check it daily. Don't always download them, but some good ones. I think I got Game Dev Story that way around Xmas which is really quite fun.

yogloo

Has anyone played it?
I found it too cheesy for my taste.

emb

Thanks, I'll try that out. And I got a Nexus 7.

Beware some apps have some crazy permissions, otherwise it is a great deal and I've gotten some really fun games that way for free.
Is it normal for the permissions warning to seem really worrying at first? I've run into this a lot just looking around so far, I'll start to download stuff, because why not, then just turn around after I see the permission list.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Anyone else having awful problems with the controls for the cthulhu game? I'm trying to tap things and nothing happens.
Yeah. I've owned on both iOS and Android. I don't recall any problems on my old iPod Touch 4 but on my hot new android shit it was a wreck.

Game is pretty tough, too. I never got too far but I recall wishing they had difficulty settings.

On my 2012 Nexus 7 the controls are very insensitive. Have to touch several times quite often.

Admittedly it's been a while since I played it, but I don't remember having issues. I actually played through it in about a day, had a lot of fun.

Finally Deus Ex is out for Android!

Go get it - great game IMHO.

Not up for me yet, but I'll put it on my Shield when it does. Thanks for the heads up!

That sucks it won't go to shield, at least it will work on my Note 2. Now to decide if 7.00 is worth it.

It's supposed to be great, I'd take one for the team and grab it myself for my Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 but I was looking forward to making a Gamepad Mapper profile on my Shield and playing it with physical controls so I'll wait until they update it.

It's supposed to be great, I'd take one for the team and grab it myself for my Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 but I was looking forward to making a Gamepad Mapper profile on my Shield and playing it with physical controls so I'll wait until they update it.

I'll probably wait until I upgrade to the Note 3, just a little more omph for the game. Should be getting it in a few weeks.

Just FYI, Deus Ex is producing sound glitches (speakers constantly crackling) with my Nexus 10 and from the reviews it seems like Nexus 7s are also effected (wouldn't be surprised if the entire range might have similar problems). The game works excellently otherwise so hopefully it's something they can patch out quickly.

Top Bottom