• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

I'm also on the Hitman Go love train.

Are there any other games similar to it on Android apart from Xcom? I'd really love something like Valkyria Chronicles or Fire Emblem on my phone.

Woah I missed DQ8 coming out. Is it 100% the same as the PSX version?
No voiceovers. No orchestral soundtrack.

Other than that the content is all there. Seems to be a good port, but it will run at 20 framerate even on good devices.

Look at a few posts on the previous page for some more details :).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Monument Valley is great, but oh so short. It's so beautifully presented and realised though that I think it's still worth it. Just a shame that it couldn't last longer, as none of the levels were all that challenging.

jokkir

Monument Valley is great, but oh so short. It's so beautifully presented and realised though that I think it's still worth it. Just a shame that it couldn't last longer, as none of the levels were all that challenging.

It's too short. Sure, the presentation is nice put as a puzzle game, it really lacks since when it starts becoming somewhat challenging, it ends. It's a shame.

So I recently bought a generic bluetooth controller that works surprisingly well. I've been re-downloading games I've purchased in the past and bought some games (via Amazon =D) that works well with controller.

Any more recommendation outside of these?

GTA Trilogy
Asphalt 8
Riptide GP2
Crazy Taxi
Metal Slug
Sonic CD / 2
+ Emulators

Also, is there a way to force controller support on games that don't? It blows my mind that games such as NBA2k14 doesn't have controller support, I mean, the fuck? So is there any I can get the controller working with NBA Jam or NBA2k14? I just want a decent basketball game damnit!

I feel the same way. Just want NBA2k14 with controller support. Tried out ppsspp emulator with 2K13 on my S4 but it lagged hard.

omg_mjd

Out There is on sale for $2 at Google Play right now. Just did my first play-through and it's a brilliant game. The aesthetics fit the theme perfectly and the intuitive interface helps make the experience enjoyable despite the game's brutal difficulty.

Ok, i've got a rpg/strategy itch i need to scratch and i found some games on the market made by http://www.tresebrothers.com/star-traders-elite-captains/. Did anyone give them a shot on android? I'm mostly interested in Star Traders and it's sequel Star Traders 4x Empires.
Trese Brothers games are amazing! I think I've tried to pimp them out on this thread before. Long story short, these two brothers make some really addictive, complex, and just straight up fun games for Android. On top of that, they are CONSTANTLY updating their games with actual content. Furthermore, little to no microtransactions in the games at all, certainly none that are required purchases at all.

They have a few games and here's what you can expect from each one:
  • Star Traders - Their oldest and most successful game. Essentially a free-roaming spaceship sim, primarily focused on economy. HIGHLY recommended as there is just a ton to do in this game now since they have been adding onto it for a few years now.
  • Cyber Knights - Shadowrun-type game.
  • Templar Assault -XCOM-type game. Not as deep as XCOM, but similar style.
  • Age of Pirates - Their least inspired game, in my opinion. It's essentially Star Traders but with Pirates instead of Starships :). If you prefer Pirates to Space though, this is what you want.
  • Heroes of Steel - RPG with tactical combat. I believe there are going to be extra chapters released later on (which should be included in the Elite version) so this is still a work in progress.
  • Star Traders 4X - An ambitious 4X game based on the Star Traders universe. This is their newest game and as such is early in development, but still fun to play. It isn't as deep as something like Galactic Civilizations (at least not yet!) but it is still a fun 4X game for a mobile device!

Honestly, I recommend all of them, simply to support some developers who support Android Gaming immensely. They have generous FREE versions of ALL of their games, and you can buy the "Elite" (aka: full) versions of their games for a couple of bucks each if you want the full versions without ads. I recommend trying them all and seeing what fits you best.

(This all probably sounds like an ad, but I promise you I'm not affiliated with them at all... I just really like developers who take Android gaming seriously!)

Jinko

Inflation RPG is quite good IMO.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.infurerpgkuesuto

MXiezNhMi3AT1DHa6N0uOOzmlyXH5DUd8dj38h1wFVlhvNA9Xu_JO2Pzl-wy33CcKD8=h900

I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like repetition lol.

soultron

Banned
Hitman Go is so slick. Probably the most polished mobile game I've ever played. Its funny that it's a AAA rendition of that game I just reccomended here, Ending. Turn-based stealth that gets really crazy after a few rounds, I really recommend both, this one because it's just so lovingly designed.

Been playing it a lot lately. The control scheme is a bit cumbersome, but I honestly don't see how they could've made it work any better when the enemies move every turn you do. I'd have liked for an option to move multiple spaces with one swipe (or tap to start a move, tap again for the destination) but that'd be confusing since they move with you, turn-for-turn, space-for-space.

I also love how death was reduced to pieces being knocked over on a chess board. Means that there's no gore or violent animations. (Even as someone who plays the Hitman games on PC/console, I appreciate games being able to express something explicitly violent in a implicit, non-violent way.)

Really enjoying it, well worth the $5.

jokkir

I just checked now and saw Amazing Alex was free on the Amazon App store. Heart it was like Mighty Machine so might be worth a checkout. It's free anyway
3AQmK.gif

Matush

Despite it being F2P with IAP, I can't believe how much I do enjoy Trials Go. I am currently around 8000 place overall and working towards unlocking first Tier 3 bike. Good times.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Does anyone here understand the reason why Wii & Wii U controllers can't be paired with Android 4.2+ devices?

Does anyone here understand the reason why Wii & Wii U controllers can't be paired with Android 4.2+ devices?
Something about googy changing how the Bluetooth connects or something like that. It hasn't been fixed since. I'm not sure of the exact technical details.

Just a heads up, Civilization Revolution 2 is in development and will be coming to Android and iOS.
Launches for iOS on July 2nd, and on Android "soon." Here's to hoping it really is "soon" and is a good port!

Sounds like it will be a premium game rather than a F2P one though, so that's good news.

Prototype

Just picked up Boson X from the Google play store for 2.99, didn't even know it was on there.

Coolest endless runner I've played. So glad it came to mobile. I really enjoyed the original on PC and the extra levels are devious. Runs flawlessly on my S5.
EDIT:
Try before you buy, www.boson-x.com

Murdoch

So is no one talking about Android TV? I thought that was a pretty big announcement yesterday, complete with Razr set top box and concept control pad etc. Certainly more appealing on a personal level to that of Amazon's 'Fire-TV' offering.

Since this thread is a bit too quiet for my tastes, here's a few new things I haven't seen anyone talking about here:

Topia World Builder - Looks like a lite version of Black & White

Warhammer 40k: Carnage - Side-scrolling 2.5D action game with SPESS MARINS

Castle of Illusion - The Megadrive remake which was released on PC and some other places, no controller support tho

VVVVVV - Terry Cavanagh's gravity reversing platform pixelfest

Worms 3 - More worms

Groof

Since this thread is a bit too quiet for my tastes, here's a few new things I haven't seen anyone talking about here:

Topia World Builder - Looks like a lite version of Black & White

Warhammer 40k: Carnage - Side-scrolling 2.5D action game with SPESS MARINS

Castle of Illusion - The Megadrive remake which was released on PC and some other places, no controller support tho

VVVVVV - Terry Cavanagh's gravity reversing platform pixelfest

Worms 3 - More worms
Anyone tried Castle of Illusion?

Also VVVVVV is an amazing game with an amazing soundtrack and is worth everyone's while.

And let's not forget The World Ends with You releasing today.

co1onel

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Deemo yet. Made by the same people who made Cytus. It's also a rythm game, but the gameplay is somewhat different. After spending some time with it I much prefer it over Cytus's gameplay. The art is really beautiful, but the music is absolutely gorgeous.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Just got an Xperia M2, my first proper smartphone (thing I had before that was a barely functioning android phone). What are the must have games I've been missing out on? Loving the look of Hitman Go, does it run on handsets?

Here's a quick heads-up, for only Friday and Saturday, Amazon Appstore is giving away a bunch of premium apps:
Link to the Promo page

"$100 worth of apps for free" promo:
- Card Wars: Adventure Time
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- The Room Two (Kindle Tablet Edition)
- Doctor Panda's Bus Driver
- Wedding Dash Deluxe
- Ravensword: Shadowlands
- Sudoku 10'000 Plus
- CrossMe Premium
- Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek
- CLARC
- Dungeon Village
- Pinball Deluxe Premium
- Loco Motors
- PUZZINGO Puzzles Pro Edition
- Real Shanghai Mahjong
- League of Heroes Premium

- Plex
- Notepad+
- AccuWeather Premium
- Root Explorer
- Pho.to Lab PRO
- Informant 3
- Business Calendar
- Jump Desktop (RDP & VNC)
- EZ Money Manager
- MobiLearn Talking Phrasebook
- Splashtop Remote Desktop HD
- aCalendar+
- Travel Interpreter
- MyBackup Pro
- 2Do: Todo List

Hi AndroidGAF. I'm not that active in this thread since I still don't have an Android device (for now). But I'm amassing a good number of apps and games through bundles, or just checking app-sales for discounts. whats a fairly good android device for gaming these days?

Top Bottom