• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

DonMigs85

Hi AndroidGAF. I'm not that active in this thread since I still don't have an Android device (for now). But I'm amassing a good number of apps and games through bundles, or just checking app-sales for discounts. whats a fairly good android device for gaming these days?

The new Atom-powered Asus Memopad HD7 is a cheap way to get great performance:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231778

Review: http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/tablets/asus-memo-pad-7-me176cx.aspx

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've got a new reccomendation that's really interesting but might not be everyone's cup of tea. Noir Syndrome is a procedurally-generated murder mystery with really cool pixel art and fantastic period music. But it ends up feeling shallow by the nature of its design, since you go to different parts of a town looking for clues and have to deduce who in the city did it based on a matrix of what the clues give away (job/hobby/sex). Its a nifty time waster though. The dinner party mode seems more interesting since it's confined to one mansion, but haven't tried it yet...

Mattiator

Hello all a little off topic but thought I would ask anyways.
I just made the switch from iphones for me and the wife :)
Got Samsung galaxy s5s, does anyone know how to add Hotmail????

Should be an email app in stock Android you can customize to point to your Hotmail account.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

There's a general Android thread over here, but to answer your question the easiest way is probably to just use the Outlook app.

Should be an email app in stock Android you can customize to point to your Hotmail account.

Or that, but it would require a bit more manual setup I think.

Or do what I do: Set Gmail up to fetch email from your other accounts (via the web interface), and then just use the Gmail app on your phone. Means you have to do zero setup on the phone (except for logging into your Google account, but you're gonna do that anyway), and you can use the same app for all email stuff. You can "answer as" the other accounts as well, so it's a good solution IMO.

drotahorror

In light of The Witcher MOBA announcement, are there any (good and free) moba's on Android? I wouldn't mind trying one out and seeing how they play.

GoaThief

Download K9 mail from the play store, free open source mail client and it's fantastic.

Added bonus of better permissions than the junk your phone comes with so you don't have to worry about companies data mining and God knows what else.

More on topic; need a new game to play on my phone - any decent RPGs (preferably not in a retro 16 bit style) or adventure recommendations?

soultron

Banned
Eliss Infinity is awesome but the biggest drawback is you need 4 fingers to play it effectively. Which means you need to play on a flat surface, ideally a table. If you have a tablet you can play it across your lap, which is nice, but phones don't really work that well in that scenario.

kizzmaul

Neo Member
Does anyone have anything to comment on Enigmatis 2? I just played the first one (got it from Amazon for free) and it was very good.

Morts

I wasted some of my free Amazon coins on games that the store says aren't supported on my device, thinking there'd be some way to download and sideload them over USB. Am I screwed or is there someway to get them to show up in a unsupported device's Amazon App Store?

lutheran

Is there a decent Bejeweled clone with no in-app purchases on the Google Play Store? Like normal Bejeweled with a classic mode where you just aim to get a good score? I've looked but I can't seem to find any (Bejeweled 2 is incompatible with the Nexus 4 for some reason and Blitz is full of F2P bullshit). Oh and I don't mind paying for it, in fact I'd rather pay for it than be stuck with ads.

Thanks!

Yup I can't stand Blitz, I hate having a 1 minute time limit as well..

SorchaR

Is there a decent Bejeweled clone with no in-app purchases on the Google Play Store? Like normal Bejeweled with a classic mode where you just aim to get a good score? I've looked but I can't seem to find any (Bejeweled 2 is incompatible with the Nexus 4 for some reason and Blitz is full of F2P bullshit). Oh and I don't mind paying for it, in fact I'd rather pay for it than be stuck with ads.

Thanks!

Ive been playing Jewels Star which has a classic mode. I do believe it has an ad at the beginning when it starts up (just a static image), but I don't think it has any while playing.

KuroNeeko

star realms is out on android!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.starrealms.starrealmsapp

seems like it's made by the co-creator of ascension, a famous (i think) ios card game

holy shit guys, star realms is really good!

I second this. I stayed up waaaay too late last night playing through the campaign.

I see you can unlock online PvP by buying the main game, but does anyone know if it has asynchronous play? Will be a definite buy if so.

Currently playing Monsters Ate my Birthday Cake. It's pretty fun!

Anyone have portrait game recommendations? Maybe in the puzzle genre? Those are good for when I commute on the subway and have to hold the rail with one hand.

omg_mjd

Anyone have portrait game recommendations? Maybe in the puzzle genre? Those are good for when I commute on the subway and have to hold the rail with one hand.

Hoplite plays in portrait. One handed play depends on the size of your display though. But regardless it's a great game in the strategic roguelike genre.

Siegcram

Currently playing Monsters Ate my Birthday Cake. It's pretty fun!

Minute Quest is perfect for you. Been pretty addicted myself and you literally need one finger to play it.

Kinyou

Is there something comparable to appshopper for android? I have really a hard time keeping up with what games are released and what's on sale.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Why is Hearthstone still not out

Blizzard must not like money. I'm serious on this too! Waaaayyy to many devices out their for Android not to be a top priority now that the iPad version is out. If I was an actiblizz investor I'd have questions on why they are leaving all of that money on the table.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone play Ravensword? I played Aralon back when it came out on iOS but never completed it. Thinking of grabbing Ravensword...

Also, are there any Harvest Moon-esque games available on Andoird?

Murdoch

Has anyone noticed the persistent Google Play Games level on your gamerpicture when you boot up a G+ enabled game? I just unlocked an achievement in Machinarium and I've just hit level 18. This is going to drive my achievement hunting OCD to new levels :-(

I'm expecting an update to the google play games application to reflect this changes soon; or just in time for the Andriod TV release at the end of the year. Anyone else expecting this to be a pretty big deal if the hardware, price point and integration (Achievements, voice chat, friends lists) hit the sweet spot?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Why is Xcom incompatible with the Xperia Z1?

I'm assuming similar reason to why it isn't compatible with the Nexus 7 2012. Game runs, but theres a bug with whatever graphics processor is in it that makes the camera fade into complete blackness on some angles and makes playing really difficult.

I'm guessing the Xperia Z1 is also running into this bug.

Top Bottom