• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

I'm assuming similar reason to why it isn't compatible with the Nexus 7 2012. Game runs, but theres a bug with whatever graphics processor is in it that makes the camera fade into complete blackness on some angles and makes playing really difficult.

I'm guessing the Xperia Z1 is also running into this bug.

I think the Z1 has the same CPU and GPU as my Nexus 5 which is compatible, the Nexus 7 2012 has a Tegra chip. They likely just haven't got around to testing it, there hasn't been a single update since it was released.

soultron

Banned
Hey, Adult Swim just released Delivery Outlaw for Android. If you enjoy Trials / difficult-physics racers, you should check it out (and it is free).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.turner.deliveryoutlaw

(Note: I am a producer on this title.)

Downloading now.

Also, as a weird note, I searched "delivery outlaw" (no caps) and it showed up as the 9th entry on the search results. Just in case that info helps you out in some way.

I'm using the Canadian Play store as well.

Looking forward to playing it!

SuperPac

Yeah, the Play store (I think) bases part of your position in search results based on installs for the app - and since it's new, we have a little bit of a problem. But it's also because there are quite a few apps with the keywords "delivery" and games with the word "outlaw." Hopefully that'll get better. Thanks for downloading! :D

I just finished Swordigo and it's probably the best mobile game I've ever played (and it's free!). Hopeully they're making a sequel to it. Anything similiar people can recommend?

mclem

Threes! is on sale for $0.99 at the Play store so I couldn't ignore it anymore. Delightful little game, now I get the hype.

Is that actually the real, official, money-goes-to-the-creator version, or one of the multitude of clones? I feel I ought to reward the people who came up with the game, but finding the real version is nightmarish.

Doczu

Is it just me, or are Kairosoft games almost unplayable on the Nexus 7 (2013)? They're a lot slower than on my Xperia P phone, and i'm playing on the low settings (the "high" graphics are just too slow!).

hitsugi

Runs great for me on my GS3 so far. The devs have said they're aware of the N5 issue and are working on a fix ASAP.

It was actually a couple of spots in particular where if you were holding an attack charge it would crash the game - namely NPC encounters. I submitted detailed reports and it should be fixed shortly.

Karkador

Banned
I second this. I stayed up waaaay too late last night playing through the campaign.

I see you can unlock online PvP by buying the main game, but does anyone know if it has asynchronous play? Will be a definite buy if so.

Yes, the online PvP is asynchronous, you can have multiple matches going at once, and the app will even push a notification when it's your turn.

The only thing it's missing is game modes for more than 2 players (the physical version of the game lets you play different game modes with more players). Still, it's a very addictive game, and a good digital port of it.

soultron

Banned
It was actually a couple of spots in particular where if you were holding an attack charge it would crash the game - namely NPC encounters. I submitted detailed reports and it should be fixed shortly.
Giving them repro steps is super helpful. I'm sure they appreciated it! :)

Yes, the online PvP is asynchronous, you can have multiple matches going at once, and the app will even push a notification when it's your turn.

The only thing it's missing is game modes for more than 2 players (the physical version of the game lets you play different game modes with more players). Still, it's a very addictive game, and a good digital port of it.
Well thank you gentlemen, I just installed this...trying to determine if it is worth full purchase at the moment. Can't get "beautiful" graphics to work, however.

Karkador

Banned
Well thank you gentlemen, I just installed this...trying to determine if it is worth full purchase at the moment. Can't get "beautiful" graphics to work, however.

I'd say it's worth it, since one purchase unlocks the game across all platforms (and it's slated to come out on PC soon)

soultron

Banned
Wayward Souls is damn good. Loving it so far. Finally, touch controls (and a great UI) for an action game on mobile that don't suck!

Soodanim

In an attempt to use the 2500 Amazon points I have, I bought Minecraft Pocket Edition. Is there any stand out reason it won't install on my N7 (2013, 4.4.4)? Installation from non-Play Store sources is enabled.

To be more specific, it downloads, brings up the "This are the permissions" box, and while nothing is greyed out, clicking install does nothing. I tried several times.

Never mind, it fixed itself.

Any more recommendations for decent games on the Amazon store? I have about £16 worth after Wayward Souls.

Santiako

Another recommendation for Wayward Souls, fantastic game and actually controls fine (that's a first for me in a touch action game!).

soultron

Banned
Really getting into Wayward Souls. It's a nice mix between a Souls game and Spelunky, I feel. The areas are randomized, so if you die, the layout will never be the same. Sometimes you'll get to the 3rd or 4th floor and it will be a completely different tileset with different enemies too. An example of this occurred today for me: I was playing the Hollowed Mines (or whatever it's called) and the 4th floor was full of mermen and a wet cave kind of environment -- something I had never seen in my 7 or 8 tries to beat that area.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Can anyone recommend some good, asynchronous multiplayer games? Any genre, although something like Frozen Synapse is probably not casual-friendly enough. I want something my gf and I can enjoy, but she won't play Scrabble with me.

SuperPac

We released a free-to-play version of Castle Doombad (tower defense where you're the bad guy defending your castle from heroes) on the Play store this afternoon. It is called...Castle Doombad: Free to Slay!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.turner.castledoombadfree

The gameplay, in-game economy, progression and structure are all the same as the paid ($2.99) version. However, this version includes interstitial ads, removes one of the IAP coin packs, adds a purchase to remove ads and unlock all traps, and adds a button to watch a video ad in exchange for in-game currency. Enjoy!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
We released a free-to-play version of Castle Doombad (tower defense where you're the bad guy defending your castle from heroes) on the Play store this afternoon. It is called...Castle Doombad: Free to Slay!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.turner.castledoombadfree

The gameplay, in-game economy, progression and structure are all the same as the paid ($2.99) version. However, this version includes interstitial ads, removes one of the IAP coin packs, adds a purchase to remove ads and unlock all traps, and adds a button to watch a video ad in exchange for in-game currency. Enjoy!

Ive heard many great things about the game on some older P1P episodes, will definitely try this Android version. I mean its free 2 pl...i mean free 2 slay...why not :)

Now that screen mirroring has come to the masses, is anyone playing games using chromecast and cast screen? I just gave it a go and it worked well video wise. Gotta do a little digging on why I get no audio on my One m7 (reboot chromecast fixed)

Any experiences with this or other forms of screen mirroring?

omg_mjd

Still loving Wayward Souls, even though I suck. Played a lot as the Mage, then switched to the Fighter for a bit. Just started using the Rogue and wow...I love how the characters play so differently from each other. You can feel how quick and agile the Rogue is compared to the others especially when you find yourself effortlessly slipping behind enemies and getting a blitz of backstabs in before they can react.

I just wish there was some kind of interaction between the characters and the environment ala Spelunky. I don't think the enemies can even damage each other. But nonetheless it's a great game. The random aspect really keeps things fresh. It's not just tilesets and enemies...some scenarios just appear out of the blue and can catch you offguard (one level had a dozen or so enemies attack me at once when normally only around 5 appear at a time).

And, no crashes so far.

Still loving Wayward Souls, even though I suck. Played a lot as the Mage, then switched to the Fighter for a bit. Just started using the Rogue and wow...I love how the characters play so differently from each other. You can feel how quick and agile the Rogue is compared to the others especially when you find yourself effortlessly slipping behind enemies and getting a blitz of backstabs in before they can react.

I just wish there was some kind of interaction between the characters and the environment ala Spelunky. I don't think the enemies can even damage each other. But nonetheless it's a great game. The random aspect really keeps things fresh. It's not just tilesets and enemies...some scenarios just appear out of the blue and can catch you offguard (one level had a dozen or so enemies attack me at once when normally only around 5 appear at a time).

And, no crashes so far.

Some enemies hurt other enemies, although I don't think they all do. I know some projectile attacks have definitely hurt them, and the second boss definitely does as wel.

omg_mjd

Some enemies hurt other enemies, although I don't think they all do. I know some projectile attacks have definitely hurt them, and the second boss definitely does as wel.

Nice. I admit that in the heat of battle I haven't been able to notice details like that.

Nice. I admit that in the heat of battle I haven't been able to notice details like that.

I only noticed the first time cause a projectile hit an enemy that would have otherwise hit me.

I'm stuck on the third map at the moment, the enemy variety is mixing things up.

moojito

The other day, orbital was the amazon free app of the day. It's really damn good. There's a free version (presumably ad supported), but I'd say it's worth the 3 quid.

dBY9mQh3JY7FtIzQXdMX6goA9_FJwbc7iSGEqmKIWClvxWHFezhF_Rn7dzPPvlIhmQc=h900-rw

You have to fire these orbs onto the screen which grow to a random size, and have 5 hit points. They lose a hit point every time they're hit by another orb (the orbs you fire bounce off other ones before settling down then growing to their random size). If an orb you fire bounces back down to the bottom of the screen, it's game over.

Definitely worth checking out.

The other day, orbital was the amazon free app of the day. It's really damn good. There's a free version (presumably ad supported), but I'd say it's worth the 3 quid.

dBY9mQh3JY7FtIzQXdMX6goA9_FJwbc7iSGEqmKIWClvxWHFezhF_Rn7dzPPvlIhmQc=h900-rw

You have to fire these orbs onto the screen which grow to a random size, and have 5 hit points. They lose a hit point every time they're hit by another orb (the orbs you fire bounce off other ones before settling down then growing to their random size). If an orb you fire bounces back down to the bottom of the screen, it's game over.

Definitely worth checking out.
I love that game

Some notable sales going on right now on the Play Store:
Final Fantasy III - $7.99; 50% off
Final Fantasy IV - $7.99; 50% off (Careful if you're rooted, FFIV has anti-Xposed DRM)
Worms 3 - $2.49; 50% off
Little Big Adventure - $1.99; 60% off
Superfrog HD - $0.99; 66% off
Chrome Wolf - $0.99; 88% off (a bunch of Kemco RPGs are on sale, but according to the CAG thread, Chrome Wolf is one of the better ones)

EDIT: Not sure why AppSales has the wrong sale prices, so I'll update this with prices from the Play store pages. Oh, and Prince's Batdance (track 9 of the Batman soundtrack) is free for Batman's 75th.

Hasney

Some notable sales going on right now on the Play Store:
Final Fantasy III - $7.99; 50% off
Final Fantasy IV - $7.99; 50% off (Careful if you're rooted, FFIV has anti-Xposed DRM)
Worms 3 - $2.49; 50% off
Little Big Adventure - $1.99; 60% off
Superfrog HD - $0.99; 66% off
Chrome Wolf - $0.99; 88% off (a bunch of Kemco RPGs are on sale, but according to the CAG thread, Chrome Wolf is one of the better ones)

EDIT: Not sure why AppSales has the wrong sale prices, so I'll update this with prices from the Play store pages. Oh, and Prince's Batdance (track 9 of the Batman soundtrack) is free for Batman's 75th.

And after a brief Google search, Final Fantasy IV cracked could easily be found. Fucking SE.

How's Little Big Adventure? Remember loving it on PC, not sure how it holds up.

Top Bottom