• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Coppanuva

Anybody know of an app like the Ds game clubhouse games? Basically something with a collection of board/card games with ai to play against would be great.

Cynar

Dragon Quest VIII was released yesterday for Android. Seems to work on anything above Android 4.0 but not ART.

$20 for the full game, minus voice overs and the orchestral soundtrack (probably due to file size considerations). Otherwise it seems to be a pretty decent port, judging by the feedback. A bit laggy depending on your device, but it looks pretty good!

$30 CAD. I'll pass.

It'd cool that DQ8 on there but $20 is a rip. Will wait for a deal.
Luckily Square-Enix does a lot of sales, so hopefully in 6 months the game will be $10 or less! Still, it is a good port (from what I've read - I don't own it) and it's an 80+ hour RPG with no microtransactions - I think the value proposition is there.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So don't hit me, but is Dragon Quest 8 any good? Most importantly does it have a good story? I have 0 experience with Dragon Quest, actually I don't think I played any 3D jRPG besides Persona. I couldn't really get into Braverly Default on the 3DS cause the story was so damn boring even though the rest of the game was pretty fun. For some reasons I just need a good story in RPGs.

Also I guess Phoenix Wright is never going to come to Android, isn't it?

aravuus

So don't hit me, but is Dragon Quest 8 any good? Most importantly does it have a good story? I have 0 experience with Dragon Quest, actually I don't think I played any 3D jRPG besides Persona. I couldn't really get into Braverly Default on the 3DS cause the story was so damn boring even though the rest of the game was pretty fun. For some reasons I just need a good story in RPGs.

The game itself is fun enough, but don't expect anything from the story. It's really, really generic.

In a lot of ways, Bravely Default is an evolution of the gameplay in Dragon Quest VIII. Neither game has a very intriguing story, so if the gameplay of Bravely Default does not appeal to you, don't get Dragon Quest VIII.

With that said, if you like JRPG mechanics, DQVIII is a really well made game that I found fun to play.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've been trying to use my $30 in amazon coins on their app store, but boy does that just make it clear how little they have compared to the normal Google store. I feel bad for those Fire users unless there's a way to shop elsewhere.

Well, one little gem I did find was a retro puzzler called Ending. Very slick and challenging, it's styled like a rouge board but it's about timing your movement to make it to the other side. Only a buck!

Matush

Does anyone else have problem with gaming on Samsung Galaxy S4? My phone is seriously overheating while playing more demanding games (recently Trials), I don't have any other background apps on, so it's strange.

basik

Does anyone else have problem with gaming on Samsung Galaxy S4? My phone is seriously overheating while playing more demanding games (recently Trials), I don't have any other background apps on, so it's strange.

I think thats normal...when I play order & chaos online on my s3 it gets very hot. does anybody else play order & chaos? its a good world of warcraft clone. yea its a ripoff and gameloft are shameless...but its better than nothing.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
I've been trying to use my $30 in amazon coins on their app store, but boy does that just make it clear how little they have compared to the normal Google store. I feel bad for those Fire users unless there's a way to shop elsewhere.

Same here. Amazon finally got XCOM:EU yesterday. I thought I'd finally found something to spend my coins on but no. It's a Kindle Only version.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Magic the Gathering 2014 works on Android from the Amazon store. The new version coming this Summer shouldas well. $10 and is legit.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
X-com doesn't work on a Nexus 7 (2012)?

Yep, it doesn't work.

I tried side loading it and while it's functional, theres a crazy bug where from certain angles the screen will fade into an empty black fog that makes playing a total nuisance.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good crossword app? Preferably one with downloadable crosswords from newspapers. I had a decent one called 2 Across for the iPhone but I'm finding it tricky to sort search results on the play store to find which apps are best.

Thrakier

If you are a really really really patient person....maybe you can have fun with it. The random encounters are through the roof in huge areas. And loading on ps 2 at least was horrible. I wouldn't play it again for 10.000 dollars.

Fantastapotamus

If you are a really really really patient person....maybe you can have fun with it. The random encounters are through the roof in huge areas. And loading on ps 2 at least was horrible. I wouldn't play it again for 10.000 dollars.

That doesn't sound like a game I wouldn't enjoy playing on a console, let alone on a tablet. Thanks, you just saved me 18€. Is Final Fantasy VI an okay port? I love that game.

yogloo

30 usd is kinda expensive especially considering the price of pc games. It would be nice to have dragon quest on the phone though.

Is there even a Hearthstone ETA time frame? Like hopefully sometime this year?

Trials is fun, but I'm also enjoying Zombie Road Trip Trials. Killing zombies and pulling off flips is kind of addicting.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Is there even a Hearthstone ETA time frame? Like hopefully sometime this year?

Trials is fun, but I'm also enjoying Zombie Road Trip Trials. Killing zombies and pulling off flips is kind of addicting.

Second half of 2014 is the estimated time they've given.

That doesn't sound like a game I wouldn't enjoy playing on a console, let alone on a tablet. Thanks, you just saved me 18€. Is Final Fantasy VI an okay port? I love that game.

Random encounters can be tedious and frequent. But this is a high quality game and the soundtrack is still pretty fantastic. No heavy duty load times so far, minus a semi long one on startup.

Framerate on my nexus 5 is mid to low 20s in towns, mid high 20s in the field. The fx (spells, water fx etc) also seem to be missing a few frames of animation. Fields have some popup in the distance but the overall package is still really great and sharper then the original PS2 version.

Camera control can be a bit of a pain but the button layout is well done and I enjoy playing in portrait mode for one handed convenience.

I'd consider this an easy buy and I have no problem paying a premium for quality gaming.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm waiting for KOTOR and FTL, personally. Has there been news that either of those just aren't coming?

Fantastapotamus

Random encounters can be tedious and frequent. But this is a high quality game and the soundtrack is still pretty fantastic. No heavy duty load times so far, minus a semi long one on startup.

Framerate on my nexus 5 is mid to low 20s in towns, mid high 20s in the field. The fx (spells, water fx etc) also seem to be missing a few frames of animation. Fields have some popup in the distance but the overall package is still really great and sharper then the original PS2 version.

Camera control can be a bit of a pain but the button layout is well done and I enjoy playing in portrait mode for one handed convenience.

I'd consider this an easy buy and I have no problem paying a premium for quality gaming.
I wouldn't mind paying 20€ for this but
-No great story
-not a great port
-high random encounter rate
-no VO
-low FR

doesn't sound like a game I would enjoy. Maybe I'll pick it up if it gets a bit cheaper to form my own opinion.

Are there any good city builder games on android?

I wouldn't mind paying 20€ for this but
-No great story
-not a great port
-high random encounter rate
-no VO
-low FR

doesn't sound like a game I would enjoy. Maybe I'll pick it up if it gets a bit cheaper to form my own opinion.

Are there any good city builder games on android?

1 an 3 never stopped it from being considered one of the best RPGs ever released.

The voice over and music are how the original Japanese version were. NA got remixes and VA.

Port is good but whatever floats your boat. I'm sure there's a great 'city builder' game out there for 50 cents. Lol

Fantastapotamus

1 an 3 never stopped it from being considered one of the best RPGs ever released.

Great, it's considered one of the best RPGs ever. I still want a good story and a reasonable encounter rate. Just because other people like that doesn't mean I have to. World of Warcraft is considered one of the best MMOs out there, I still don't have to like it.

The voice over and music are how the original Japanese version were. NA got remixes and VA.
So.....what?

Port is good but whatever floats your boat.
Good to hear, but a lot of other people told me it's a bad port.
I'm sure there's a great 'city builder' game out there for 50 cents. Lol
Uhmm...thanks? What's that about?

Fantastapotamus

He's passive-aggressively saying he thinks you're cheap and wouldn't be willing to pay the price for any good "full price" city-builder that he may know about.

Oh. Well, alright. Don't really care. Off playing Football Manager.

mclem

Can anyone recommend a good Mahjong app in English?

By which I do specifically mean proper Mahjong, not Solitaire.

louiedog

Hitman GO is now available on Android.

edit: It's not showing up yet, but Amazon carries other Square Enix Android games so you may be able to use some free coins on this soon.

I've been a huge apple device user since the ipod touch and app store hit years ago but I do also have an old android smart phone (very old) and a cheap android tablet for my brother last summer, but today I finally got my hands on my own Tegra 4 tablet mostly due to game testing but also wanting a better android device.

I have to say using HDMI out is so much nicer then the current apple way of doing things, the delay from tablet to tv is near instant compared to my iPhone 5 which using the lightning HDMI adapter has a good sevaral frame delay before inputs take effect making game playing on a tv harder then it should be, apple tv adds large lag too.

Been using a simple bluetooth controller I bought a while back to play Asphalt 8 on my TV and it's lovely, I nearly bought the project mojo to do this kind of thing but reviews for it were kind of ugly, also twice the price of this tegra note.

MattDoza

Oh wow, I've been waiting for this.

Finally Hitman, thanks for heads up.

Awwww fuck yes

This is what I've been saving those survey credits for! Got to level 15 with all but one 3 sta... err dotted. Love the background music.

4,49€ and still iap?
The fuck?
What Kind of iap are there?

I didn't even see any. But there is a set of levels with "coming soon." Maybe it's for additional content. But there is a hint system, that I opted not to use. Probably able to buy more hints.

Fantastapotamus

4,49€ and still iap?
The fuck?
What Kind of iap are there?

I think you can buy hints. If you are stuck on a challenge you can use a hint and the game shows you exactly what to do. I asume you can buy those since I havn't found a way to get them otherwise. If you have the internet this shouldn't really be a problem though. Also I asume there'll be a level pack at some point since there is a "coming soon" sign at the level select.

Karak

I've been a huge apple device user since the ipod touch and app store hit years ago but I do also have an old android smart phone (very old) and a cheap android tablet for my brother last summer, but today I finally got my hands on my own Tegra 4 tablet mostly due to game testing but also wanting a better android device.

I have to say using HDMI out is so much nicer then the current apple way of doing things, the delay from tablet to tv is near instant compared to my iPhone 5 which using the lightning HDMI adapter has a good sevaral frame delay before inputs take effect making game playing on a tv harder then it should be, apple tv adds large lag too.

Been using a simple bluetooth controller I bought a while back to play Asphalt 8 on my TV and it's lovely, I nearly bought the project mojo to do this kind of thing but reviews for it were kind of ugly, also twice the price of this tegra note.
Love my Tegra 4.

KemoSabe

I think you can buy hints. If you are stuck on a challenge you can use a hint and the game shows you exactly what to do. I asume you can buy those since I havn't found a way to get them otherwise. If you have the internet this shouldn't really be a problem though. Also I asume there'll be a level pack at some point since there is a "coming soon" sign at the level select.
OK thats fine.
Will get it asap...

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Hitman GO is now available on Android.

edit: It's not showing up yet, but Amazon carries other Square Enix Android games so you may be able to use some free coins on this soon.

Hadn't seen how it looks when it's running before, this looks really awesome. I love that they've gone for this different art style for the mobile version, obviously it's less intensive but it doesn't detract from what the game's doing in the slightest, works really well. Will definitely pick this up
when I get my free £50 of Google Play credit.

fin

Not sure if I posted in this thread before but I just released free 10 level demo of my game Instantion. Got some pretty good reviews, I'm pretty happy with it. It has a lot in common with The Swapper, so if you liked that you might like this too!

Try the demo here!

soultron

Banned
Not sure if I posted in this thread before but I just released free 10 level demo of my game Instantion. Got some pretty good reviews, I'm pretty happy with it. It has a lot in common with The Swapper, so if you liked that you might like this too!

Try the demo here!

No permissions required? Bless you, my friend! Downloading the demo now, only because need to change to my new CC info before I can purchase. :)

mattiewheels

Hitman Go is so slick. Probably the most polished mobile game I've ever played. Its funny that it's a AAA rendition of that game I just reccomended here, Ending. Turn-based stealth that gets really crazy after a few rounds, I really recommend both, this one because it's just so lovingly designed.

Top Bottom