• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Koozek

I just finished Swordigo and it's probably the best mobile game I've ever played (and it's free!). Hopeully they're making a sequel to it. Anything similiar people can recommend?

I am also playing through swordigo and surprised everybody is not raving about it.
I doubt there is a similar game on android, there is a se sequel on iOS though.

Thanks for the tip! I'm playing it right now and it's really a fun, little game.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchfoo.swordigo&hl=de

jokkir

How are the Kemco games anyway? I assume they're all pretty bad?

Also, I wish more Square games would go on sale. I'm thinking of getting Hitman or TWEWY

RoadHazard

Gold Member
And after a brief Google search, Final Fantasy IV cracked could easily be found. Fucking SE.

How's Little Big Adventure? Remember loving it on PC, not sure how it holds up.

I'm also interested in LBA impressions. Loved the game and its sequel on PC, and wouldn't be opposed to playing it again on my phone if it's a good port with decent controls.

EDIT: Read some reviews, and aside from some issues with the controls (which, according to the game's update notes, have been improved) it's apparently a fine port. And it's basically no money anyway, for having one of my favorite classic adventure games available on my phone. So I bought it. Just installed, will post some impressions soon. Let the nostalgia commence!

If it's Xposed DRM, I assume that covers just devices that use Wanam Xposed, like my custom ROM does? Need to check that.

Yeah, anti-Xposed refers to the Xposed framework/modules. An Xposed dev posted more details at XDA a while back. Theoretically, it shouldn't affect people whose ROMs don't have any Xposed modules, but when I bought it a few months ago it displayed the same behavior, even though I didn't install any modules (though I guess it is possible that it was being tripped either by Greenify or a feature of my ROM; I didn't have time to test due to the 15-minute refund window).

People have reported that it is possible to get around the check by converting all of their Xposed modules from user apps to system apps (and rebooting), but if you want to update a module, you would have to convert it back to a user app, update, then convert it to a system app again.

As far as I know, the only anti-Xposed games are FFIV, FFIV: The After Years, FFV, FFVI, Puzzle and Dragons, and some obscure game in Japan.

heringer

How are the Kemco games anyway? I assume they're all pretty bad?

Also, I wish more Square games would go on sale. I'm thinking of getting Hitman or TWEWY

They are mostly bad, but I've been playing Band of Monsters and it's surprisingly decent. It's a monster collecting kind of game and it's free right now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, I've played a bit of LBA, and it seems to be a fine port. Except for Twinsen having crappy pathfinding (meaning that he will often just run into things instead of going around them) the touch controls work rather well (in fact, in many ways they are easier to use than the tank controls from the original, especially when fighting enemies - which might be both good and bad). There's also an optional virtual gamepad mode, and there is support for physical controllers.

But yeah, it feels like LBA, it looks like LBA (including the original CG cutscenes in all their low-res glory), and at the low sale price I'd absolutely recommend it to anyone who wants this piece of classic PC gaming in their pocket.

I'm probably missing something really simple, but is there an easy way to see what is currently on sale, on Google Play?
As mentioned above, App-sales.net (the website and the app) tracks most ongoing sales on the Play Store, so that's your best bet. I also recommend checking the CAG thread, since the OP updates it pretty frequently with deals from both the Play store and the Amazon Appstore. Finally, Android Police periodically makes deal list posts with deals from the Play Store, Amazon Appstore, and others.

And Episode 1 is on sale for $4.99 (Regular $6.99):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.revolution.bs5

On an unrelated note, Bloons TD 5, a tower defense game that's been in some Humble Bundles is Amazon's FAOTD today. And a few more Play Store sales were put up recently:
Canabalt HD - $0.99 (66% off) (Another previous Humble Bundle game)
Mines of Mars - $1.99 (60% off)
Record of Agarest War - $7.40 (51% off)

Murdoch

I've just finished Machinarium and hit the level cap for Google Play Games already! (Level 20) I must say though; this service is really quickly becoming rather fleshed out with all the recent additions and central dashboard app.

I've just started Swordigo (which funnily enough added google play games services integration yesterday) and I'm immediately impressed. I can definitely see myself playing this through to completion. More mobile games need to have this kind of quality, simplicity and polish if mobile games are to be taken seriously.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wish SE would put TWEWY on sale I am not spending $18 on it sorry.

Also wish Magic 2015 would get a bug fix update. Shit crashes all the time for me.

Sorry for the self promotion, we have released a little arcade for Android. The first impressions have been very positives, some people says that it's a mix between Super Hexagon and Flappy Bird lol.

If you want to play it, it's free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lubiterum.SpinRush

spin.jpg

Hope you like it :D

Firehead

I can only speak for Dead Space but it works surprisingly well on touchscreens and I normally hate 1st/3rd person shooters on mobile.. Very short game, though,

Ended up picking up Terraria. Already own Dead Space, apparently. Curious of the quality of NBA Jam and Monopoly.

Firehead

How are the controls for terraria?

Eh... They're workable. You move around with a virtual pad and when you use any tools, a magnifying bubble appears to help where you're mining.
The mining and whatnot works well; the virtual pad for movement is too hot though.

omg_mjd

Snagged a couple of the games that are on sale.

Terraria $2
Controls well enough my phone (6") despite the virtual stick. Looks like my kind of game (open world with crafting + retro aesthetics) so I'm glad to have a portable version of it.

NBA Jam $1
Pleasantly surprised to find the rosters somewhat up-to-date (as of the 2014 finals, so LBJ is still with the Heat). Just as fun as I used to have on the SNES. Haven't tried multiplayer yet but it's available for local and online.

Dead Space $2
Disappointed that this doesn't have the survival modes that were added to the iOS version. Single player campaign only. Good controls though and lot more fun than Shadowgun or Dead Trigger 2. No IAP.

Reaper $2.49 for IAP full game unlock (Dark Legend Edition)
Gorgeous game with controls optimized for touch. Kinda reminds me of games like Muramasa Rebirth and is an acceptable substitute when I'm away from my Vita (although playing it has made me want to go back to Muramasa for another playthrough).

Mindwipe

I've not tested it since the update, but there are a bunch of reports that the issues with FFIII and FFIV and Xposed are gone as of the two apps getting patched last week at the start of this sale.

I'm not convinced it was explicitly because of DRM anyway, FFIII used to crash on unrooted stock Android constantly because it was writing to memory areas that it wasn't supposed to. I think it was just a badly coded POS.

Heads up Kairosoft fans, Ninja Village is on sale for $1.20 (75% off):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.kairosoft.android.ninja_en

I've not tested it since the update, but there are a bunch of reports that the issues with FFIII and FFIV and Xposed are gone as of the two apps getting patched last week at the start of this sale.

I'm not convinced it was explicitly because of DRM anyway, FFIII used to crash on unrooted stock Android constantly because it was writing to memory areas that it wasn't supposed to. I think it was just a badly coded POS.

FFIII never had any issues with Xposed, it's probably been the most relatively-sound of Square-Enix's remakes as it hasn't had any major issues; it even works with ART (I believe FFIV was recently updated with ART support too).

Final Fantasy - Originally, the game didn't scale to larger screens, so if you played it on anything larger than 3.7", it would appear in a tiny centered window. It took them a year or so before they fixed this, now it scales properly.
Final Fantasy II - Same as Final Fantasy. Also eventually fixed.
Final Fantasy III - Relatively, no major issues.
Final Fantasy IV - Issues with Xposed (details) where the game doesn't start (reportedly fixed in the latest update. Awaiting confirmation)
Final Fantasy IV The After Years - Allegedly, it has no issues with Xposed.
Final Fantasy V - Issues with Xposed
Final Fantasy VI - Issues with Xposed
The World Ends With You - Reportedly, it has issues with Xposed (need confirmation)
Chrono Trigger - The game actually has 4 or 5 parts to download, with one part being the Play Store download, and the rest start downloading in the background at certain points in the game. It effectively serves as a Mostly-Online DRM.

As for whether the Xposed issues are DRM or bad coding on SE's part, it's tough to say either way, though bad coding sounds like a more viable theory. On one hand, the directory check it performs at the start, as described in the XDA post above, is a process that is wholly unnecessary to the games' operation. On the other, SE gains nothing by blocking Xposed modules.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Keep hoping for SE to include TWEWY even though it's new. I doubt it though. It'll just be more and more FF stuff on sale.

Assassin's Creed: Pirates for 10 cents!

Seriously, it's $0.10. Normally $4.99, so it's 98% off. I'll add more recent deals to this post in a bit.

Rayman Jungle Run - $0.75 (80% off)
Rabbids Big Bang - $0.49 (50% off)
Magicka: Wizards of the Square Tablet - $1.99 (50% off)
Knights of Pen and Paper +1 - $2.99 (40% off)
The Game of LIFE - $0.50 (50% off)

EDIT: Oh, and Monument Valley's price has dropped further to $1.99 (50% off)

EDIT 2: Looks like Amazon Appstore is planning to give away a bunch of apps tomorrow. If it's anything like Australia and Japan now, the list should include Carcassonne and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing.

Top Bottom