• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

lutheran

Huh, République seems to have stealth released on the Amazon App Store last week. Seems to be Kindle only compatibility, though. Still, it's now up and running on Android so I suspect a full release on Google Play is imminent.

Amazon probably wonders why people like us trash their appstore as it pales in comparison to Google Play. I can't believe they are tying up games like this one and TWD and TWAU to Kindle owners only and not Android phones and tablets. I can't find a fucking thing to spend my 3300 coins on still and they won't convert it to Amazon credit no matter how many of their dicks I try to suck. Believe me, it will be Christmas before any of those games above work with any Android product through their Appstore. Thank GOD we all basically stole those coins..

Lomax

Amazon probably wonders why people like us trash their appstore as it pales in comparison to Google Play. I can't believe they are tying up games like this one and TWD and TWAU to Kindle owners only and not Android phones and tablets. I can't find a fucking thing to spend my 3300 coins on still and they won't convert it to Amazon credit no matter how many of their dicks I try to suck. Believe me, it will be Christmas before any of those games above work with any Android product through their Appstore. Thank GOD we all basically stole those coins..

Some games get custom ports for the Kindle devices and they carry that specific version, though I don't understand why they don't also carry general Android versions of those games as well.

Personally while I've spent a few coins here and there on random things, I've spent most of mine on Zen Pinball tables, they are ideal for tablet play.

Santiako

Anyone have an opinion on Wayward Souls? Would be playing on a tablet. Considering dropping some of my coin stash on it but it seems like most android action rpgs I try have terrible touch control schemes.
Fantastic game, and has the best controls for a game of its type. Zero IAP. Definitely recommended.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
How is the game? Reviews don't seem to be good outside of the play store

Apparently is good as a mobile game but the PC port is a steaming pile of crap. But again I can't tell you from first hand experience because it won't run on my HTC One. :/

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Apparently is good as a mobile game but the PC port is a steaming pile of crap. But again I can't tell you from first hand experience because it won't run on my HTC One. :/

Don't feel bad, my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition can't run it either. I don't game on my Galaxy S5 though.

soultron

Banned
Fantastic game, and has the best controls for a game of its type. Zero IAP. Definitely recommended.

Yeah. Don't sleep on Wayward Souls, people. The controls are great for touch, the music is fantastic, and the sense of progression is tough but fair and there's no IAP. And there won't ever be. Lots of character classes as well, which further varies up the gameplay.

boltz

I agree. Game Dev story and Dungeon Village were the best. Ninja village kinda sucked. I hated their Soccer game too. Stopped buying them after that. The magazine one might not be bad.

I really liked Grand Prix Story and Mega Mall story was fun too. Haven't played any of the newer ones since I'm kinda burned out on their formula, but I don't think I can go wrong with $1.20.

Hasney

Top tier for me for Kairosoft (excluding Grand Prix as I'm a bit of an F1 addict, so biased)

Game Dev Story
Mega Mall
Magazine Mogul
Kairobotica

yogloo

Top tier for me for Kairosoft (excluding Grand Prix as I'm a bit of an F1 addict, so biased)

Game Dev Story
Mega Mall
Magazine Mogul
Kairobotica
My tier.
Football/grand prix/hero town?
Mega mall
Game dev story
Cafeteria
Is magazine mogul good?

Hasney

Magazine Mogul is great, it's very close to Game Dev Story. Pick a location and theme for the story to see how they blend and get the best staff in.

Humble Mobile Bundle 6 is up. Android-only, includes OSTs for all most of the games so far (Combo Crew seems to be the exception).

Pay What You Want:
- Eliss Infinity
- Duet Premium (Android Debut)
- Combo Crew Special Edition

Beat the Average:
- Threes!
- Mines of Mars
- Joe Dever's Lone Wolf
- More coming soon...

Suspect lots of people missed this at the bottom of the last page...
Feels lika a pretty nice bundle though I mostly bought it for Threes. Hopefully whatever they add next tuesday will be even better.

Chairhome

I'm really tempted to get After Years on mobile since they're using the FFIV DS remake engine. But I bought some of it when it came out on wiiware, then I bought the FFIV complete collection on PSP and never finished it.

medze

Didn't realize Wayward Souls was out so I'm glad I visited this thread. Got a plane trip on friday so now I have something to play! Hope it's as good as I've heard it is

(Per Wario64)
Dragon Quest IV was just released on the Play Store, same day as the iOS release. $14.99.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.dq4

It's a port of the DS remake, but it adds in the Party Chat feature that was removed from the DS localization. If there are no major flaws that surface, it sounds like this could be the definitive English version of DQ4. Check out the gameplay footage TouchGameplay uploaded to Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CCAMcaJMo8

inky

I put 30 hours into the steam version of Clash of Heroes. Already own it on my phone (bought it through Amazon) and I would also recommend it to everyone.

mao2

Another one for the Kairosoft fans. Magazine Mogul joins Ninja Village in the sale.

Magazine Mogul - $1.20 (75% off)
Ohh how did I miss this? Thanks for the heads-up!

I agree. Game Dev story and Dungeon Village were the best. Ninja village kinda sucked. I hated their Soccer game too. Stopped buying them after that. The magazine one might not be bad.
Yeah, unfortunately some of their games just aren't that good. However, I think Ninja Village is great. Just bought it last week during the sale and I'm really enjoying it.

Interesting, a post on CAG shows that Final Fantasy III recently added Cloud Save functionality, via a Cloud Save menu accessible from the title screen (Cloud icon in the upper-right corner). You have to manually upload and update your save, but at least it's more convenient than backing the entire app up locally.

yogloo

Bought and played Magazine Mogul. I'd rate it lower than gamedev story. It's not as endearing as gamedev and lacks the humor that comes from naming crazy names for your game.
The game play system itself is more refined than game dev though.
I guess it is a better gamedev story with a least interesting story at least for me.

Murdoch

Currently tearing my hair out in frustration playing Swordigo. Cracking little game but one of the boss fights I'm currently "enjoying" is just cheap and beyond frustrating.

louiedog

Looks interesting, need some fun strategy games so downloading now. I guess it's successfull ios game? Great to see those coming over.

It was actually an XBLA/WinPhone/Win8 cross play, then Steam, and later iOS game. From the small amount I've played on XBLA and PC it's pretty good.

heringer

If you are in the mood for something like Swordigo, Lemegeton is pretty decent. Gameplay is close, but not as polished. It also looks more like Castlevania.

I'm having fun with it, even if it's a bit rough. You unlock abilities, skills and different weapons. There's a free version to try.

Hasney

I despise it. "Oh hey, you wanna keep playing without waiting for some arbitrary time when we let you? Cough up, poor".

Fuck that.

Oh and "Hey, shall we notify you when your tank is full?" after every mission if you click no. Just constantly nags.

Anyone try the new Crazy Taxi game? Worried it looks like an IAP-fest.

Android Police posted a pretty scathing overview of it, mostly of how it fits into all of the F2P stereotypes (Oh! You're out of gas (energy)! You gotta pay us some diamonds, watch this ad, or wait ___ minutes to refill your gas meter!).

Looks like Sega/Hardlight spammed the review system since it has 10+ downloads and over 900 reviews.

I believe the download counter only updates every so often, something like once every 24 hours. EDIT: Unfortunately, I could only find the update timeframe for the dev-facing tools (24 hours), no word on how often the consumer-facing Installs count updates.

rossonero

It was actually an XBLA/WinPhone/Win8 cross play, then Steam, and later iOS game. From the small amount I've played on XBLA and PC it's pretty good.

I've just done the first two levels and it's pretty good. Still only scratching the surface but the strategy is fun and the humor is great.

I can recommend it to anybody that wants a turn based strategy game.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Skulls of the Shogun is now out on Android and only $1.99 with no IAP. I assumed it was a launch discount, but there isn't any mention of that. Not bad.

Woah! Mad legit!

Android really seems to be on the up swinging gaming wise as of late.

Tons of games are now hitting the platform coupled with a bunch of great sales! Have a ton of great stuff to play on my Nexus 7!

soultron

Banned
I don't have time to link to it right now, but Kitten Taxi is a fun little free game I grabbed last night. It's hand drawn and animated in a very Korean style, with charming little background tunes. Gameplay revolves around being a bank robber, dodging and shooting at cat police pursuers, and collecting coins. Very fun, simple game. Minimal IAP annoyances so far too.

Top Bottom