• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

MrCuddle

I got my smart clip for DS4 and a couple of cables (micro usb to usb, and female usb to micro usb), but when i try to plug my DS4 to my Nexus 4 nothing will happen. Isn't Nexus with 4.4 android supposed to have plug and play compability with the DS4? Any takers on the problem?

Ridiculous fishing is kind of fun, I mean nice enough game for £2.
Deleted Clash of Clans cos that shit was just a waste of time and battery.

Not played anything else, a nice rpg would be good along with some fast paced non fruit or sweet based puzzle game.

Mindwipe

Warhammer 40,000 Carnage is on sale for £1.19/$1.99, which is a big discount on it's previous price.

It's actually a pretty nice game for that money. Certainly better than the shitty tower defence one.

Vorg

Banned
Just a reminder that the Humble Mobile Bundle 6 is out.

Pay what you want and get:
Eliss Infinity
Duet Premium
Combo Crew Special Edition

Pay more than the average (currently at $4.53) to unlock:
Threes!
Mines of Mars
Joe Dever's Lone Wolf (with some kind of season pass)
Carmageddon
Time Surfer
Llamas with hats: Cruise Catastrophe

So for less than 5 bucks you get 9 games and still donate money to charity. Is that a great deal or what. :D

Lomax

Gamestop is selling the GameStick for $20:

http://www.gamestop.com/android/consoles/gamestick-stick-and-controller/109154

And the controller for $10:

http://www.gamestop.com/android/accessories/gamestick-controller/109153

Anyone familiar with this? No interest in the actual stick but the controller apparently works on all modern android phones/tablets so I'm curious.

Read a few reviews on the system itself and the controller was pretty universally panned as being terrible.

Fezan

Guys guys need a RTS in vien of generals or tower defense game but no pixel art. Price is not a matter and have z2 so can play top end games
Anyone

Any good Strategy RPGs like fire emblem? I already have FFT on Vita so I'm looking for something else.

The Hyperdevbox games are great, Spectral Souls (runs so much better then it did on PSP) and Agarest War are two that I have and play quite often to fill that SRPG itch.

KuroNeeko

I'm in the Kickstarter beta so I can't tell what it's like normally. Are all the sets out? Does it run okay?

Did you get your follow-up mail from Playdek? I got a mail from the original devs about a week ago saying the beta was ready for Android users and that Playdek would be mailing us (provided that we filled out the questionnaire they sent us earlier), but haven't received anything yet.

I'm pretty sure they said kickstarters would get all of the sets up to the current one.

:/

Qvoth

I'm in the Kickstarter beta so I can't tell what it's like normally. Are all the sets out? Does it run okay?

sadly my samsung galaxy s2 can't even run the game
gonna borrow my brother's s5 and try it out
i've never played the game though so i wouldn't know if all the sets are out since i don't even know how many sets there are

Both of these games have been mentioned previously, but I think they both deserve a little more attention.

Don't Touch the Spikes - Stupidly addictive game. Completely free with no in-app purchases (...yet). The new Duel mode they just added is a fun variation to the base game.

WWE SuperCard - I feel bad recommending a WWE game, but this is a really fun and addictive game. It's a trading card game, but not nearly as complex as Hearthstone or MTG. I don't think you even have to care about wrestling to enjoy the game. Free, but you can buy card packs with money. I'm not planning on spending a penny and I still enjoy it.

WWE SuperCard - I feel bad recommending a WWE game, but this is a really fun and addictive game. It's a trading card game, but not nearly as complex as Hearthstone or MTG. I don't think you even have to care about wrestling to enjoy the game. Free, but you can buy card packs with money. I'm not planning on spending a penny and I still enjoy it.

Yeah, plus it doesn't shove the IAP stuff in your face. You're matched with people around the same level as you, and you get new cards after each exhibition match, win (2) or lose (1).

From what I've seen, Ascension runs okay, device dependent. My S5 has issues running it. I have had to reboot the S5 twice now to get it working after the app chooses to start draining the battery as fast as it can while seeming to run one of the 4 cores at full throttle. Stability was a little improved after the patch they put out today, but not completely better. My Hisense 7" tablet seems to run it with only one issue - zooming in on a card I can't play dims the background but doesn't actually show me the card. Apparently, I'm not alone in the tablet zoom issue, either. When it does work on the S5, zooming works as expected and the game runs flawlessly. When it does work...

Regarding content, the IAP store has Return of the Fallen, Storm of Souls, Immortal Heroes and Rise of Vigil as well as the 4 Promo Packs. I thinks that's all of them, but I never played the card game (yet) nor did I ever play on an iOS device. Currently, the first three expansions are 99c each and RoV is 2.99$. I'm unsure as to what their normal prices may be, but I believe there is a sale through the weekend. All Promo Packs are 99c each. There's also a Bundle that is a "great deal" that has the first 3 expansions and first 3 Promo Packs for 6.99$ which is currently 1.05$ more than they cost if purchased individually.

As far as the game goes, it is fantastic, but the app that runs it is marred with some crap. If you don't purchase any IAPs, you have a horrible video ad that plays in the middle of a game. As an added bonus, the ad tends to crash the app, taking some progress along with it for your trouble. I took a chance and bought the first expansion for 99 cents and have yet to see another ad. So I bought the next 2 at 99c each. I'm thinking about picking up RoV as well, but will likely hold off on the Promo Packs for now, at least until I have a good feel of all the base mechanics each set introduces.

All in all, it appears to be a good presentation of an excellent game marred by some technical issues. I look forward to going back to the couch with the tablet and playing some more.

If anyone wants to add me as a playdek friend, please do. I'm usually up for some asynchronous turn based goodness. IGN is "Markoff Chaney".

I hope this helps!

Qvoth

just had my 1st ascension game (tutorial)
it's safe to say that it's a better and deeper game compared to star realms, the beautiful artwork on the cards definitely helps as well

shame i can't play on my galaxy s2, can't wait until i upgrade my phone

zulux21

so... if I buy some in game content will that make the ads go away, or even if I spend $7 on content will I still have to deal with ads every so often?

beyond that the game is running for the most part fine... a couple windows getting stuck open where I have to click around a bit... most of the issues just come with the ads that take me out of game for a min (20 second add 20 seconds of black before and after as the game unloads and then loads again) beyond that the app works well. Made me realize that we had been doing banishment rules wrong, so that's all good.

Hasney

Yeah, plus it doesn't shove the IAP stuff in your face. You're matched with people around the same level as you, and you get new cards after each exhibition match, win (2) or lose (1).

Yup. If anything, buying a top-tier card makes it harder from what I've seen. If you've got one big time card and a bunch of commons and uncommons, you're still up a few tiers, but can only win one match out of the best of 3 series.

Screw Pokemon, we've got this.

Phil S.

Banned
What are some great word search, solitaire, and word game games?

I'm also wanting some kind of racer.

Forgive me if I didn't give enough information for you guys to help. D:

Daigoro

wish I could get Ascension to run! shit still crashed on startup after two updates. looks like its a rampant issue for multiple devices as well judging by the reviews its getting.

check out snap attack and wordament for word games.

linsivvi

Well not the best, but the greatest potential, is Mazebert TD.

Inspired from the YouTD map from warcraft 3, the concapt is simple, creeps marching down a single lane, you have slots to build towers with the money you gain from killing creeps.
But the towers gain levels and can also can equip items.

Everything, from the maps, towers, items... is coming from the players.

So in short :
- Towers gain xp
- Towers can equip items
- You can use potions to buff towers permanently
- You can transmute towers/items/potions to get one of better rarity
- A LOT of different strategies possible (with the synergy between certain towers and items) and still growing.
- You gain levels as you play, using skill points to improve your global damage or attackspeed for example
- Leaderboards with highest level, highest survival time...
- Completely free, no ads
- Cross platform: android, iOS, pc, player account is cross platform too.
- New challenge with every realease, I won a challenge where people had to submit set items for towers. My idea got implemented into the game.
- A lot of ideas from the player become reality : new maps, towers, items, concepts...
- It's quite recent so it has a lot of room for improvement, the creator is nice and likes help (he's alone on this project).
- Regular updates and bugfixes with new content.
- Did I say it was free?

Give it a try!

I played this for a week or so and got quite addicted too. The game's pretty deep with the tower interactions, like setting up a chain xp network with the special towers, or a money combo to feed the satellite for mega damage, or feeding every item to the iron man for a super tower. So many ways to reach the end game.

I enjoy Fairway Solitaire (but not Fairway Solitaire Blast) for my Solitaire fix and Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey is a fun Bookwormesque clone. The only racer I've tried, other than Sonic & Sega All Star Racingwhich seemed pretty good, is Carmageddon. That's for when I feel like reliving the past, though. :)

Phil S.

Banned
wish I could get Ascension to run! shit still crashed on startup after two updates. looks like its a rampant issue for multiple devices as well judging by the reviews its getting.

check out snap attack and wordament for word games.

Ah, a Scrabble-like and a Boggle-like game. I'm digging them both, liking Wordament more at the moment! Thanks!

I'll be sure to check out your suggestions as well, Markoff_Chaney, so thank you, too!

vato_loco

Downloading so many games right now. Thanks for all the reccomendations!

I've been playing Spirit Stones for a while now, but it has become painfully obvious that the things they give you for free to get cards don't get you the good ones, just the crap. So I'm done with it, I hate when they get too greedy.

Any other card games worth the time? Not the ones where they automate battles like Blood Brothers.

Top Bottom