• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Salsa

im addicted to Don't Touch The Spikes

7UbT-QkDAlZpwatlRSffPuEKfNKRgoQL490uo5NjFs85o_OIvmR6KaIChFGgfhFcuw=w300-rw

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ketchapp.donttouchthespikes

qpEx1JhnqqbqSjZKP5qWLZRSMPCeibAn3IVxlZrg0d5QfLcTH0DrYKu1k0RRsrljtXU=h900-rw

flappy bird done right

too bad there's some ads and no way to remove em (no ad banner tho)

akileese

What's the consensus on the best bluetooth controller value/quality wise for android phones/tablets? I've got a Nexus 7 and was curious.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What's the consensus on the best bluetooth controller value/quality wise for android phones/tablets? I've got a Nexus 7 and was curious.

DS3/4? If you're rooted they shouldn't be too hard to get working (if you're not I believe they only work over USB).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone else not able to play Wayward Souls on their N7? Or is it just the bugginess of the L dev preview that stops it from running?

Anyone have the Gameklip? Thinking about buying a used Note 2/3 and attach a DS3 to it just for Android gaming and emulation, how is emulation on the platform?

omg_mjd

Anyone have the Gameklip? Thinking about buying a used Note 2/3 and attach a DS3 to it just for Android gaming and emulation, how is emulation on the platform?

Everything except N64 seems to work great. I've tried: DS, GBA, SNES and PS1. PSP should work well too (not sure since I don't have a Galaxy Note but on my phone turn-based games like Metal Gear Acid run well enough, MonHun not so much.)

im addicted to Don't Touch The Spikes

7UbT-QkDAlZpwatlRSffPuEKfNKRgoQL490uo5NjFs85o_OIvmR6KaIChFGgfhFcuw=w300-rw

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ketchapp.donttouchthespikes

qpEx1JhnqqbqSjZKP5qWLZRSMPCeibAn3IVxlZrg0d5QfLcTH0DrYKu1k0RRsrljtXU=h900-rw

flappy bird done right

too bad there's some ads and no way to remove em (no ad banner tho)

Huh, this game is way more awesome than I imagined it would be, thanks for that. It's kind of funny how it really is similar to Flappy Bird but somehow is actually a lot more fun in comparison. The only ads I see are interstitial ads that show up once every five games. It really isn't as intrusive as some games I've seen...

Speaking of which, there is a developer (あくのそしき which is probably "akunososhiki") who made some really fun games with awesome music like this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=akunososhiki.app.starVanisher

But I reinstalled them yesterday and was saddened that they have tons of ads now. The games are still awesome, but man, could you put more ads in a game?

(The developer also has a jukebox app showcasing all the music from all the games, which is pretty cool, actually. It has a minigame which, unsurprisingly, is filled with ads. lol)

Everything except N64 seems to work great. I've tried: DS, GBA, SNES and PS1. PSP should work well too (not sure since I don't have a Galaxy Note but on my phone turn-based games like Metal Gear Acid run well enough, MonHun not so much.)

N64 (via the free Mupen64Plus AE) works pretty great for me on my Galaxy S III and now my Note II. Full speeds, no real problems. There was a rather funny audio problem where everything was high pitched but I changed a setting and it was all fixed.

I hear Dreamcast works great, too.

reKon

Banned
Huh, this game is way more awesome than I imagined it would be, thanks for that. It's kind of funny how it really is similar to Flappy Bird but somehow is actually a lot more fun in comparison. The only ads I see are interstitial ads that show up once every five games. It really isn't as intrusive as some games I've seen...

Speaking of which, there is a developer (あくのそしき which is probably "akunososhiki") who made some really fun games with awesome music like this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=akunososhiki.app.starVanisher

But I reinstalled them yesterday and was saddened that they have tons of ads now. The games are still awesome, but man, could you put more ads in a game?

(The developer also has a jukebox app showcasing all the music from all the games, which is pretty cool, actually. It has a minigame which, unsurprisingly, is filled with ads. lol)

N64 (via the free Mupen64Plus AE) works pretty great for me on my Galaxy S III and now my Note II. Full speeds, no real problems. There was a rather funny audio problem where everything was high pitched but I changed a setting and it was all fixed.

I hear Dreamcast works great, too.

Is that suppose to be better than N64oid in terms of performance?

Is that suppose to be better than N64oid in terms of performance?

I can't say, but both N64oid and Mupen64Plus AE are based on Mupen64Plus, and M64P AE is newer and continuously updated, so I am guessing it is better.

I don't know about N64oid, but M64P AE is also completely free with no ads or nagging anywhere. (There is a donate version, but it has no extra features.) To me, that's a plus considering many emulators on the Play Store take others' code and do exactly that, sometimes violating licenses in doing so.

Meneses

Just spent a couple hours (that flew by) playing Duet.

Great game with a great soundtrack.

Got it from the Humble Android Bundle.

nilbog21

Banned
Hey guys what is the best Free Tower Defense game?

I just got an Android and I have a very long flight tomorrow. Not sure which ones I should download. I'm kind of limited on space (LG Optimus F6). I don't mind paying if its really high quality

..or really any addicting game that will help me kill 15 hours

EDIT: ALso does anyone know if Puzzle QUest 2 is worth it for 2.99$? I played the first one briefly on the PC and I really enjoyed it.. Has bad reviews on the app store though :/

I just got an Android and I have a very long flight tomorrow. Not sure which ones I should download. I'm kind of limited on space (LG Optimus F6). I don't mind paying if its really high quality

EDIT: ALso does anyone know if Puzzle QUest 2 is worth it for 2.99$? I played the first one briefly on the PC and I really enjoyed it.. Has bad reviews on the app store though :/
Kingdom Rush or Kingdom Rush Frontiers. The first might be free but I'm not sure.

Leezard

I played the demo of Puzzle Quest 2 on android, but I think it's kinda bad. The first one was much better.

Kuntz

Hey guys what is the best Free Tower Defense game? /

Well not the best, but the greatest potential, is Mazebert TD.

Inspired from the YouTD map from warcraft 3, the concapt is simple, creeps marching down a single lane, you have slots to build towers with the money you gain from killing creeps.
But the towers gain levels and can also can equip items.

Everything, from the maps, towers, items... is coming from the players.

So in short :
- Towers gain xp
- Towers can equip items
- You can use potions to buff towers permanently
- You can transmute towers/items/potions to get one of better rarity
- A LOT of different strategies possible (with the synergy between certain towers and items) and still growing.
- You gain levels as you play, using skill points to improve your global damage or attackspeed for example
- Leaderboards with highest level, highest survival time...
- Completely free, no ads
- Cross platform: android, iOS, pc, player account is cross platform too.
- New challenge with every realease, I won a challenge where people had to submit set items for towers. My idea got implemented into the game.
- A lot of ideas from the player become reality : new maps, towers, items, concepts...
- It's quite recent so it has a lot of room for improvement, the creator is nice and likes help (he's alone on this project).
- Regular updates and bugfixes with new content.
- Did I say it was free?

Give it a try!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Month 9.

Hearthstone is nowhere in sight.

I begin to doubt whether I will ever truly enjoy the wonders of such a CCG on my Nexus 7.

I've lost feeling in both my legs by now waiting.

My children beg to be fed. But there is no feeding until Hearthstone. Only waiting.

And waiting.

and waiting

reKon

Banned

Just buy Kingdom Rush. It's more than worth the few dollars

Pachimari

Month 9.

Hearthstone is nowhere in sight.

I begin to doubt whether I will ever truly enjoy the wonders of such a CCG on my Nexus 7.

I've lost feeling in both my legs by now waiting.

My children beg to be fed. But there is no feeding until Hearthstone. Only waiting.

And waiting.

and waiting
I'm waiting for the mobile release and now on Android instead of iOS.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

twisted89

Strange idea to increase the price with every update. Most of the people who've already bought it won't see it happen and so won't feel better about their purchase, and you're putting off the new customers you'd get by updating the content.

The fact that a major feature in an update is 'adding health bars to bosses' I don't think they'd be missing much.

Lomax

I played Wayward Souls some, part of the reason it's "punishingly difficult" is because the controls suck like just about every touch action RPG I've played on tablet. They are a bit more responsive than some, but it seems people have yet to really develop a control scheme or gameplay style that is appropriate. The game basically just swarms you with enemies and never gives you any health recovery, so you eventually just get chipped away to death. There's very little sense of skill and progression like you get in Binding of Isaac though there's clearly unlocks over time. I'll probably give it another try, but I can't say I'd recommend it, especially at $5.

linsivvi

I played Wayward Souls some, part of the reason it's "punishingly difficult" is because the controls suck like just about every touch action RPG I've played on tablet. They are a bit more responsive than some, but it seems people have yet to really develop a control scheme or gameplay style that is appropriate. The game basically just swarms you with enemies and never gives you any health recovery, so you eventually just get chipped away to death. There's very little sense of skill and progression like you get in Binding of Isaac though there's clearly unlocks over time. I'll probably give it another try, but I can't say I'd recommend it, especially at $5.

This. The control just isn't as good as some said. More often than not I moved at the wrong direction which caused my attacks to miss.

After playing Traps and Gemstones I wish more developers would use that game's control scheme. Up/Down on one side, and Left/Right on the other side of the screen. I almost never made a wrong move.

soultron

Banned
I must have really low standards or not much experience with virtual controls because I firmly stand by my assertion that WS's touch controls are some of the best I've laid hands on. I mainly play as the Rogue class, however, so perhaps some classes are more frustrating to play than others.

Do Square Enix have any intention of releasing Final Fantasy Tactics for Android?

I totally miss it from iOS. :(

It was released on Android in Japan. Heck, it was the first one to get the HD enhancements. Don't know why SE doesn't want to bring it over here; I'd lose all hope, but they finally brought over TWEWY to Android after two years.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Strange idea to increase the price with every update. Most of the people who've already bought it won't see it happen and so won't feel better about their purchase, and you're putting off the new customers you'd get by updating the content.

My exact feeling as well. People who already bought it won't care. You'll just be pricing out more new customers with each price increase especially when people who probably really were your target audience should have in theory already gotten in. Totally idiotic IMO.

Almyn

That is awesome news. The game is really well suited to playing on the phone. I definitely expect to be playing a bit of dragon pass in bed.

After doing a bit of searching I discovered it's already available on the Google Play store, I bought it and honestly it's left a pretty bad first impression. It doesn't play well on the phone, Or my phone at least (moto G) . All the writing and buttons are so tiny and hard to hit properly, It's not just a port of the ios app on Android. If you look at the pics on the store page you can see how the UI has been changed. It would probably play really well on a tablet, But on the phone everything is too small. I was so excited for it, But have came away pretty disappointed.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.herocraft.kodp

reKon

Banned

Good thing there's controller support I guess

womp

I only grabbed this because I have a Shield, otherwise I really am not a touch based mobile gaming fan. The great thing with the Shield is the awesome mapper which allows you to configure touch controls to the physicals...so I have the left touch 'analog' for movement as my left physical analog stick. Needless to say, the controls are wonderful now and the game is a lot of fun. :)

Sorry for the crappy pic...you can even map gestures...

I only grabbed this because I have a Shield, otherwise I really am not a touch based mobile gaming fan. The great thing with the Shield is the awesome mapper which allows you to configure touch controls to the physicals...so I have the left touch 'analog' for movement as my left physical analog stick. Needless to say, the controls are wonderful now and the game is a lot of fun. :)

Sorry for the crappy pic...you can even map gestures...

I was really considering buying a used Shield, but decided against it because other Tegra 4 devices have stylus support, and I just figured I could use OTG and my PS3 controller with my Note II.

Thinking about it now, I wouldn't mind kicking back with a homebrew device that has a game controller built in. I was interested in the Xperia Play for that reason, so I think I should fulfill that dream. It would be fun to use it as a "better" 3DS or Vita and play controller games on it, even Half-Life 2 and Portal (which I had no idea were ported to Android until a week or so ago).

drotahorror

This might seem dumb but does anyone know when 7D Mine Train is coming out on Android? I saw my cousin playing it on her ipad and it looked sick hah.

Top Bottom