• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Boo, I was going to get Castle of Illusion since it's so cheap but even when I try to pay with my US card it still gives me $11AUD.

I dived in at .99. You aren't missing much, the controls are not the best (I don't know if it is MOGA compatible or will work with your shield). Although it does look pretty.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Tiny Tower Vegas is out for android

5Eg-4_syiLCaAivKHT5XRvXuIWiFje3GmCYRN4UmQaeHC-GnTT6YluARuddT0JB4ACk=h900-rw

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nimblebit.vegas&hl=en

I just played this for about 2 hours today. It's pretty good and going by the reviews on the store page, it works offline and doesn't have some of the annoying things the first game had.

It's good fun even if I refuse to pay to get ahead. It might take me a good deal longer to get the more expensive upgrades and floors but I can wait. I'm making 180/hour right now.

If anything, I could use some friends for this game. Need the code from the menu to exchange but I don't want to put it out in the open for anyone to see.

Doczu

Hey guys and gals. Are there any good Hearts of Iron/Europa Universalis clones on the app store? They may be turn based.

Oh and is it only me, or is the battery for the N7 2013 weak? I haven't got my unit a half a year and i start feeling that the battery is kinda weak. Is it possible that it happened because of usage, or rather some apps running in the background?

Chinbo37

I made a thread about this which totally died with no responses. Maybe its more appropriate here.

Ok I need to pull the trigger for a controller. I have a Nexus 10 and a Galaxy S5.

What I want:

- small form factor
- wireless
- DOESNT connect to the phone (i think this looks dumb)
- Great DPAD
- No need to root the device

Would be nice:

- dual analogs

I believe I narrowed the choices to:

- Steelseries Pro

pros - small, 2 analogs
cons - only 1 set of triggers

steelseries_free_header.jpg

- Drone controller

drone-smart-controller.jpg

- Nyko playpad (small one)

nyko-android.jpg

- FC30

- DPAD looks nice
- No analogs

Free-shipping-8BITDO-FC30-Bluetooth-Wireless-Controller-Support-IOS-Android-Mac-OS-Classic-high-quality-Gamepad.jpg

JMTHEFOX

I made a thread about this which totally died with no responses. Maybe its more appropriate here.

Ok I need to pull the trigger for a controller. I have a Nexus 10 and a Galaxy S5.

What I want:

- small form factor
- wireless
- DOESNT connect to the phone (i think this looks dumb)
- Great DPAD
- No need to root the device

Would be nice:

- dual analogs

I believe I narrowed the choices to:

- Steelseries Pro

pros - small, 2 analogs
cons - only 1 set of triggers

steelseries_free_header.jpg

- Drone controller

drone-smart-controller.jpg

- Nyko playpad (small one)

nyko-android.jpg

- FC30

- DPAD looks nice
- No analogs

Free-shipping-8BITDO-FC30-Bluetooth-Wireless-Controller-Support-IOS-Android-Mac-OS-Classic-high-quality-Gamepad.jpg

There's the Viaplay Gamepad F2 which is small, has dual analog nubs, has bluetooth, is wireless and has dual triggers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2MY1C44354

Soodanim

I was playing Kitten Taxi earlier and I felt myself wondering what else is out there. I'm looking for games where there's some degree of automation, but you control the upgrades. Things that come to mind are the Assassin's Creed (it's either Brotherhood or Revelations) mini-game where you send your assassins off on missions, MGS Peace Walker's base upgrades and Final Fantasy XII's system where the gambits can do things for you. Have you got anything for me, GAF?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Castle of Illusion is on sale for $0.99 (90% off): Google Play / Amazon App Store

Are the controls on this tolerable? I've got "opinion rewards" points, and just about everyone has Amazon Coins, so it is probably worth just checking out for yourself.

Castle of Illusion is on sale for $0.99 (90% off): Google Play / Amazon App Store

Are the controls on this tolerable? I've got "opinion rewards" points, and just about everyone has Amazon Coins, so it is probably worth just checking out for yourself.

Ah good, they finally matched it on the Amazon Appstore. I still have that boatload of coins from the GTASA deal a few months back.

Also notable on Amazon:
Rayman Jungle Run is today's Free App of the Day
Devious Dungeon is on sale for $0.99 (99 coins), with 30 coins back, effectively making it 69 coins. It was recommended earlier in the thread, and it's from the same dev as Wayward Souls.

Benedict

Ah good, they finally matched it on the Amazon Appstore. I still have that boatload of coins from the GTASA deal a few months back.

Also notable on Amazon:
Rayman Jungle Run is today's Free App of the Day
Devious Dungeon is on sale for $0.99 (99 coins), with 30 coins back, effectively making it 69 coins. It was recommended earlier in the thread, and it's from the same dev as Wayward Souls.

But they only pricematched it in certain regions. Full price here in Sweden Play store.

TableTop Racing is on sale on amazon as well for $0.99 with 60 coins refund when purchased. Worth it?

R1CHO

Hey guys and gals. Are there any good Hearts of Iron/Europa Universalis clones on the app store? They may be turn based.

Oh and is it only me, or is the battery for the N7 2013 weak? I haven't got my unit a half a year and i start feeling that the battery is kinda weak. Is it possible that it happened because of usage, or rather some apps running in the background?

Battery is not great in mine either. And seems to be getting worse.

Download Gsam battery monitor, to see the averages after a couple of cycles. It's possible that some app or service is draining it.

About grand strategy, I am also waiting for some kind of game in the vein of paradox's, but not luck so far it seems.

Is XCOM ever coming out? I got all this credit in Amazon coins for nothing.

Well, look here:
Link

But a couple things:
1) That's a cached page. It isn't on the store right now for some reason. Maybe it's a region thing? (I'm in the U.S.)
2) It is only for Kindles, meaning you can't install it on non-Kindle devices. See the many low ratings the app got on the cached page.

Lomax

Well, look here:
Link

But a couple things:
1) That's a cached page. It isn't on the store right now for some reason. Maybe it's a region thing? (I'm in the U.S.)
2) It is only for Kindles, meaning you can't install it on non-Kindle devices. See the many low ratings the app got on the cached page.

Yeah, amazon seems to mostly stock kindle versions of tablet-only games. I can understand it (especially considering all the free coins they gave away), but it is annoying. I just end up buying pinball tables with my coins, it's about all I play on my tablet anyway.

Well, look here:
Link

But a couple things:

Well that's crushing. I wanted to play on my Nexus 5 or 7.

These coins will rot forever. Guess I'll just buy on Google Play since Amazon won't play nice with the rest of Android.

I know everything is going to be a let down after playing Dungeon Quest. Now thats a real actual game. Great loot game. Trying to play Heroes of Destiny from Glu Mobile right now and I'm bored after three minutes. I can tell it's an IAP-fest anyway, unlike Dungeon Quest. If it wasn't for this thread I would have never found DQ.

I'm getting my first tablet, a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, and I have no idea where to start. I'm primarily interested in console/handheld style games, though I'll check out some flash/time waster games. If that doesn't help with recommendations, what are the essential Android games?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm getting my first tablet, a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, and I have no idea where to start. I'm primarily interested in console/handheld style games, though I'll check out some flash/time waster games. If that doesn't help with recommendations, what are the essential Android games?

Hitman go.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Thanks for the input.

btw, just wanted to chime in and say Wayward Souls is superb. Game plays well, the control scheme isn't hot garbage like most games of this type on smartphones and I love the art-style, it also has insane replay value. Just the complete package, well worth the 6 bucks. Highly recommended.

jengo

Thanks for the input.

btw, just wanted to chime in and say Wayward Souls is superb. Game plays well, the control scheme isn't hot garbage like most games of this type on smartphones and I love the art-style, it also has insane replay value. Just the complete package, well worth the 6 bucks. Highly recommended.

I agree, super polished game. I wish I could play with my Dualshock, but it's not unbearable with on-screen controls.

Error

what are some good adventure games? preferably point and click, or touch whatevs.

Here's another one on sale for the Kairosoft fans, Pocket Stables ($1.20; Regular price $4.99):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.kairosoft.android.horse_en

what are some good adventure games? preferably point and click, or touch whatevs.

Gemini Rue and Shivah are both Wadjet Eye adventure games, and are pretty good choices if you haven't already played them on PC. There's also Amanita's Machinarium, short and sweet. Double Fine's The Cave, which has been hit-or-miss with people. Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery, a highly-regarded game when it was released.

If you want ports of classic adventure games, there's also Revolution's Broken Sword Director's Cut and Broken Sword 2 Director's Cut (and the recently-released Broken Sword 5: Episode 1 and Episode 2). And of course, Jordan Mechner's The Last Express.

There are also some notable quasi-adventure games. King of Dragon Pass is a classic clan-management RPG/Strategy/Sim where you're tasked with some important decisions at certain points. Sorcery! and Sorcery! 2 are based on a series of choose-your-own-adventure RPG books; you make a bunch of decisions that determine which paths you take, who you fight, and how you fight. They have a nice style that frequently pay homage to their CYOA origins.

EDIT: Oh, forgot one. Layton Brothers: Mystery Room is more Phoenix Wright-lite than Layton; it's fairly short and simple, and doesn't take off the training wheels until the last few cases, but it's got a jazzy soundtrack (from Yuzo Koshiro), an interesting overarching mystery, a nice graphical style, and it's only $5 for all of the cases. Well worth the money, even with its flaws.

Error

Thanks for the input, will check out Gemini Rue looks cyberpunkish and something that's right up my alley.

bigf00t

Just another recommendation for Wordbase. It's a bit like words with friends mixed with Go and Tic Tac Toe. My wife and I have been playing it a ton, and she normally doesn't play any games, even on her phone. It's completely free and has no IAP that I'm aware of.

soultron

Banned
Is Out There worth it for someone (me) that loves FTL?

Really different from FTL (not as much about ship management as it is about cargo and upgrade trees) since it's more luck based, but it's very much worth checking out. Other than the localization (in English) being a bit off at times, it's a very polished game. Fantastic music as well.

There's no real-time combat or boarding. It's more about weighing costs/benefits of going to a place and seeing what will happen when/if you do.

garath

Here's another one on sale for the Kairosoft fans, Pocket Stables ($1.20; Regular price $4.99):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.kairosoft.android.horse_en

Gemini Rue and Shivah are both Wadjet Eye adventure games, and are pretty good choices if you haven't already played them on PC. There's also Amanita's Machinarium, short and sweet. Double Fine's The Cave, which has been hit-or-miss with people. Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery, a highly-regarded game when it was released.

If you want ports of classic adventure games, there's also Revolution's Broken Sword Director's Cut and Broken Sword 2 Director's Cut (and the recently-released Broken Sword 5: Episode 1 and Episode 2). And of course, Jordan Mechner's The Last Express.

There are also some notable quasi-adventure games. King of Dragon Pass is a classic clan-management RPG/Strategy/Sim where you're tasked with some important decisions at certain points. Sorcery! and Sorcery! 2 are based on a series of choose-your-own-adventure RPG books; you make a bunch of decisions that determine which paths you take, who you fight, and how you fight. They have a nice style that frequently pay homage to their CYOA origins.

EDIT: Oh, forgot one. Layton Brothers: Mystery Room is more Phoenix Wright-lite than Layton; it's fairly short and simple, and doesn't take off the training wheels until the last few cases, but it's got a jazzy soundtrack (from Yuzo Koshiro), an interesting overarching mystery, a nice graphical style, and it's only $5 for all of the cases. Well worth the money, even with its flaws.

This is a great post. Given me a lot of things to wishlist.

Installed Dungeon Quest and Dots (my favorite candy, by the way) based on recommendations here. Haven't played them yet but will report back when I do.

Drake

Has anyone played Baldur's Gate EE on their phone. I have a Galaxy s5. I'm wondering how difficult it will be to play on a 5.1 inch display.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Missed the $0.99 sale on Castle of Illusion...Bummer. Considering grabbing DQ8 still, despite the warnings. I've read that it runs fine on a Nexus 5, but then there's one guy who posts that it runs like ass on his Nexus 5. I don't know what to believe. :(

I am glad someone quoted your edit! I've been looking for a good investigate em up on Android for a while and I read your quote pre-edit and totally missed it.

CronoShot

Missed the $0.99 sale on Castle of Illusion...Bummer. Considering grabbing DQ8 still, despite the warnings. I've read that it runs fine on a Nexus 5, but then there's one guy who posts that it runs like ass on his Nexus 5. I don't know what to believe. :(

DQ8 runs like shit on everything, sadly.

I've played a bit of Dead Trigger. Is that about as well as action games control on a tablet? :| I have a screen protector on so that might throw things off a bit but I'm really not impressed.

Top Bottom