• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've been playing Bubble Witch 2 Saga and the more I play I realize that it's designed to make you spend money. :\ Maybe I'm just not that good at it, but getting a high score and sometimes even beating a level is too dependent on luck.

Really?!

No, but is this your first time playing a King game? They are pretty much the worst F2P (i.e. P2W) scams of them all, and I truly despise them.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Question:

I'm very far in a game that doesn't have Google Play Games support.

I'm getting a new phone tomorrow, how can I transfer the game file over to the new phone?

I'm not rooted.

Hook the phone up to a PC, see if you can find something that looks like a save file in the game's app data (should be under Android/data/com.developername.gamename/ or similar), and copy it over. If you can't find anything like that, you probably can't get to those files without rooting.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I've been playing Bubble Witch 2 Saga and the more I play I realize that it's designed to make you spend money. :\ Maybe I'm just not that good at it, but getting a high score and sometimes even beating a level is too dependent on luck.
Candy Crush is the same. I played it for a bit during boring commutes, just to kill time, and the game is about 90% luck-based and 10% puzzle skill. I never spent a single cent on it of course, but I was stuck for the longest time on a particularly tough level that was impossible to win without paying for lives or power-ups unless you were really lucky in the initial candy configuration.

Of course, even though I spent no money on it, I instantly uninstalled it when I learned of the Banner Saga clusterfuck. Fuck these guys.

louiedog

Apparently Republique Ep.3 is coming next week. How are the first 2 episodes? Anyone take the leap?

They aren't available on Android yet, only iOS. All three episode will launch at the same time on the 23rd.

It'll be coming to Google Play and Amazon which is good news for those of us with a ton of coins to spend.

JMTHEFOX

Is there a list somewhere of good Android games with 3rd party controller support?

I can't recall finding a list of good controller supported games, but I can give you some recommendations.

ArcaneSoul - A free Korean 2D sidescrolling ARPG inspired by Odin Sphere. Only one type of IAP and its not really obtrusive as other Freenium games. Totally recommend it. I suggest using Ellisa because her moves and sprites are satisfying to preform and look at (Her flaming lance animations are amazing and sexy). #EllisaMasterRace
Modern Combat 4 - A first person shooter similar to COD but with more weapon customization and balance than 3 and 5.
Final Freeway 2 - A 2D arcade racer in the vein of Outrun and its fun and challenging.
Another World - A well-done port of the action adventure game.
N.O.V.A 3 - What if Modern Combat was in space and you actually feel you're part of the story.
Riptide GP2 - Wave Race look-alike best known for its graphics and controller support.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
They aren't available on Android yet, only iOS. All three episode will launch at the same time on the 23rd.

It'll be coming to Google Play and Amazon which is good news for those of us with a ton of coins to spend.

It it is on the Amazon app store but it's an Amazon hardware exclusive (Kindle Fire, Fire Phone etc.).

soultron

Banned

Ah, I had assumed 1+2 were already out. Thanks for the clarification!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh man, Note 4 time. I need to add some legit games. I was actually thinking of trying my luck with DQ8 since this phone is so ridiculous. Maybe not, though.

What about DQ1 and DQ2? I want a fun RPG or something to play on the plane.

reKon

Banned
I can't recall finding a list of good controller supported games, but I can give you some recommendations.

ArcaneSoul - A free Korean 2D sidescrolling ARPG inspired by Odin Sphere. Only one type of IAP and its not really obtrusive as other Freenium games. Totally recommend it. I suggest using Ellisa because her moves and sprites are satisfying to preform and look at (Her flaming lance animations are amazing and sexy). #EllisaMasterRace
Modern Combat 4 - A first person shooter similar to COD but with more weapon customization and balance than 3 and 5.
Final Freeway 2 - A 2D arcade racer in the vein of Outrun and its fun and challenging.
Another World - A well-done port of the action adventure game.
N.O.V.A 3 - What if Modern Combat was in space and you actually feel you're part of the story.
Riptide GP2 - Wave Race look-alike best known for its graphics and controller support.

The same company that made Riptide GP2 also has recently released a pretty solid kart racer with controller support.

JMTHEFOX

The same company that made Riptide GP2 also has recently released a pretty solid kart racer with controller support.

That's Beach Buggy Racing, the sequel to Beach Buggy Blitz. I had it on the Shield Portable but I uninstalled it because the first boss kept using the super power ups throughout the race, just wasn't my thing. I will respect your opinion though.

reKon

Banned
That's Beach Buggy Racing, the sequel to Beach Buggy Blitz. I had it on the Shield Portable but I uninstalled it because the first boss kept using the super power ups throughout the race, just wasn't my thing. I will respect your opinion though.

I beat the first boss on the first try... (not trying to brag, but I don't think it was suppose to be hard lol). Used my PS4 controller with the Xperia Compact Z3 on that race.

awp69

It's already out (Episode 1 at least) on the Amazon App Store. Unfortunately, only for Fire devices, which sucks.

reminder

Simon the Sorcerer: 20th Anniversary Edition is the free app of the day on amazon! At least in germany, but i guess the free apps are the same world wide?

Simon the Sorcerer: 20th Anniversary Edition is the free app of the day on amazon! At least in germany, but i guess the free apps are the same world wide?

Most of the time, but there are exceptions (like Wayward Souls a few weeks ago, which was the FAOTD in Germany and the UK, but not in the US).

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns

An excellent choice by Amazon. Looking forward to playing through it again for the first time in 10+ years!

Kinyou

Awesome. Was waiting for this to finally show up

sca2511

just leaving a plug to a little game i've developed, the name is Rolling Dillo

Play Store link: http://goo.gl/JYH0Gg

Little trailer i've put together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_wIrqYvzEY

pr_source.PNG

I hope you guys enjoy it :D

Going to try it out

heringer

Hey guys. For fans of SRPGs like FFT, Fire Emblem and Shining Force, I would like to leave a recommendation, it's a little gem called Tactics Maiden.

Get past the rough presentation and you will have a deep and challenging strategy game with plenty of customization options and a brilliant AI.

Tactical Maiden is also a fresh take on the genre because in most scenarios you need to play on the offensive if you want to win. You need to conquer outposts (which are spawn points for your units) and pillars (which raises the unit cap of your army), and if you don't the enemy certainly will, overwhelming you in the end.

There are 85 different scenarios to play, which will take you over 30 hours of playtime. Plenty of bang for your buck. There's a story connecting the scenarios, and so far the writting is ok.

There's a lot of customization options too, with hundreds of different equipment pieces as well as dozens of different classes and special skills. Also, when your units level up you can manually distribute stat points in the attributes you want. There's plenty of depth.

The first 10 scenarios are free, if you want the full version there's a $5 unlock.

Here's a couple of reviews if you are interested:

http://toucharcade.com/2014/09/29/tactics-maiden-review/

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Tactics+Maiden/review.asp?c=61654

Play Store link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mangobile.tacticsmaiden&hl=pt-br

Launched Adventure Xpress, a match-3 RPG, on Google Play today - from Adult Swim and PikPok.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pikpok.ax.play

It's free!

Fun game! It's crashed on me a few times - sometimes at start and sometimes when the ads show.

A couple questions:
Any way to get rid of ads? Maybe with a purchase?
Any way to exit? I can't bring up the menu with a swipe up from the bottom, no matter how hard I try.

Again, fun game, just with some issues I would love to see resolved.

Thank You!

wilflare

what's the best way to keep up with app sales?
feels like i've been missing out

bought a few of the humble android bundles but still somewhat prefer to have them on the Play Store

awp69

Humble Mo-boo!-ile Bundle (Android-only; Horror-themed)
https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

Free tier
The Spookening
+ 2 more during the week

PWYW tier
Rebuild
Oscura: Second Shadow
Containment: The Zombie Puzzler

BTA tier
Five Nights At Freddy's
Dead Effect Premium
The Walking Dead: Assault

Not bad for people that don't already own those. Think it also marks the first bundle that appears to not have a half-way point where more games are unlocked.

I wonder if this free game every four days is going to replace that going forward? At the very least, I guess it would bring traffic back to the site every four days to check out their various bundles and store.

I have just got a Note 4 (upgrading from a Note 2) and fancy having a go at portable gaming again.

I want a controller that is comfortable, portable, and will hold my Note 4 as part of the controller.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but App of The Day is a great app for Android. Everyday one paid app becomes free for the whole day, it includes games, tools, and various other apps. Unblock me FREE is a great puzzle app that has thousands of puzzles all for free, although there's ads every once in a while not sure if it's between every few puzzles, or if it's just a banner. Also Riddle Me That is free and has a lot of great riddles if you like riddles.

Top Bottom