• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

reKon

Banned
Man, loved the shit out of Kingdom rush frontiers..unlocked every star on veteran - Who does that?? Can't find other games that can keep me playing for that long.

Clash of heroes had good game play but what is up with the terrible story and cutscenes.. Can't bring myself to open and sit through that shit.. Same with puzzlequest2. Looking for some quality game play with some depth (but easily accesible)

I'm a little late to the Android party... What has been everyone's favorite game?

That game is probably the best game on both iOS and Android. Because I haven't played the Walking Dead games, I might get into that if they starting sales for some of the episodes.

Qvoth

My friend just released his new game, Auro, on Android. He previously did some iOS games including 100 Rogues, which was really well-received. Auro's been in development for literally years and I've been helping here and there along the way, mostly a lot of testing, so I can tell you firsthand, it's a really neat, unique game. It also has great artwork and music.

It's gonna come out on iOS too but Apple seems determined to get in the way as much as possible of Adobe (AIR/Flash) games, and Auro happens to use AIR.

Anyway, give it a whirl: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.DinofarmAuro

i've been following this for a while ever since i saw it on pockettactics, thanks and good luck to your friend!

linsivvi

Man, loved the shit out of Kingdom rush frontiers..unlocked every star on veteran - Who does that? Can't find other games that can keep me playing for that long.

Clash of heroes had good game play but what is up with the terrible story and cutscenes.. Can't bring myself to open and sit through that shit.. Same with puzzlequest2. Looking for some quality game play with some depth (but easily accesible)

I'm a little late to the Android party... What has been everyone's favorite game?

I did, on both games of the series. I am kinda a completionist though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wayward Souls is the free app of the day on Amazon, at least in Germany. Is the game worth it? Might give it a go.

Wayward Souls is the free app of the day on Amazon, at least in Germany. Is the game worth it? Might give it a go.

Then that means it should likely be the FAOTD in the US Amazon store tomorrow. It's quite worth it.

EDIT: Looks like the US store's FAOTD is some speed reading app. boooooo

cw_sasuke

FAOTD in the UK too. And with a vast majority of 1* reviews for obnoxious game circle integration.

Same here in germany for Wayward Souls - didnt even know about Amazon Circle before, but the customer reviews are complaining that they have to sign up for Amazon Circle.

FAOTD in the UK too. And with a vast majority of 1* reviews for obnoxious game circle integration.

Must be a bug in some devices. The tab-notification should disappear after a few seconds, as long as it isn't tapped, and it shouldn't appear again until the app starts again.

Should I assume we won't get it and just buy it for 1.99$ before the price goes back up?

I'd recommend waiting until tomorrow (or 12 hours from now, when the FAOTD changes). If the UK store has it as FAOTD today, it might be FAOTD on the US store tomorrow.

SimplePhysics is the US store's FAOTD today.

WS is still on sale at the Play Store though.

Fezan

so i downloaded Galaxy on fire 2 and guess what i cant read any thing because the hud is made for tablets. Also mining is a chore to do

Started playing Wayward Souls. Seems like a decent enough game action RPG aside from the controls being kind of lacking. Why are virtual analog sticks so hard to program?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Man, I feel like I do most of my gaming on my phone these days. The past few days I've been all about CSD, Skulls of the Shogun, and Mage Gauntlet. I didn't really care about mobile gaming until I got an S5, but now I can't get enough.

I still have no one to play XCOM or Skulls of the Shogun with, though.

rower

Neo Member
The new fifa for mobile is really great. I didn't play any other fifa games, so can't really tell how much of an improvement 15 is.
Game is free to play but without stupid micro-transactions (like in madden) and that's really step into good direction EA!
Everything runs very smoothly on my phone (asus zenfone 5), very good graphic and presentations.
I really like the idea of dual control: for example you can shoot by button or by swiping on your screen.
Plus the ultimate team where you can collect players etc.

Humble PC and Android Bundle 11 is up:
https://www.humblebundle.com/

PWYW tier ($1 min. for Steam keys)
Thomas Was Alone
Bridge Constructor Playground
Cubemen
Cubemen 2

BTA tier
The Blackwell Legacy
Blackwell Unbound
The Blackwell Convergence
Small World 2 + Royal Bonus DLC
+ More next week

$11 tier
Surgeon Simulator 2013
Anomaly Defenders

Humble PC and Android Bundle 11 is up:
https://www.humblebundle.com/

PWYW tier ($1 min. for Steam keys)
Thomas Was Alone
Bridge Constructor Playground
Cubemen
Cubemen 2

BTA tier
The Blackwell Legacy
Blackwell Unbound
The Blackwell Convergence
Small World 2 + Royal Bonus DLC
+ More next week

$11 tier
Surgeon Simulator 2013
Anomaly Defenders

So far I bought all the Android bundles when I was aware of them, but there just doesn't seem to be a good game besides Thomas Was Alone in this one. Will wait for the added games. Anomaly would be great too, but not 11 bucks great.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Chub should get Cook Serve Delicious in one of those Humble bundles, its pretty much the perfect tablet game. I wonder what the process of getting your game in one is like.

zulux21

So far I bought all the Android bundles when I was aware of them, but there just doesn't seem to be a good game besides Thomas Was Alone in this one. Will wait for the added games. Anomaly would be great too, but not 11 bucks great.

the pc version of smallworld isn't bad. i haven't tried the android version yet.

Credit goes to Slickdeals, Amazon's giving away a good amount of free apps on their app store including some games. You have to wait until tomorrow because it's not live yet but it will be available until Saturday.

• Genius Scan+ ($7.39)
• Swype Keyboard ($4.49)
• OfficeSuite Professional 7 ($16.23)
• Sonic 4 Episode II ($5.25)
• Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden (Full) ($5.70)
• Quell Memento ($2.22)
• My Diet Coach – Pro ($3.99)
• Sworkit PRO ($4.29)
• Relax Melodies Premium: A White Noise Ambience For Sleep, Meditation & Yoga ($3.24)
• SketchBook Pro ($5.58)
• Riptide GP2 ($2.99) <-- awesome game
• mSecure ($10.50)
• PrinterShare Mobile Print ($12.95)
• Merriam-Webster’s Third New International, Unabridged for Android ($62.95)
• Schedule Planner PRO ($4.32)
• City Maps 2Go Pro – Offline Map and Travel Guide ($2.86)
• Earth & Moon in HD Gyro 3D PRO ($1.49)
• Another World ($2.16)
• Threes! ($2.15)
• Knots 3D ($2.00)
• Mahjong Artifacts® ($3.18)
• Paper Camera ($2.15)
• Perfectly Clear ($3.15)

Credit goes to Slickdeals, Amazon's giving away a good amount of free apps on their app store including some games. You have to wait until tomorrow because it's not live yet but it will be available until Saturday.

• Genius Scan+ ($7.39)
• Swype Keyboard ($4.49)
• Quell Memento ($2.22)
• Sworkit PRO ($4.29)
• Relax Melodies Premium: A White Noise Ambience For Sleep, Meditation & Yoga ($3.24)
• SketchBook Pro ($5.58)
• mSecure ($10.50)
• Another World ($2.16)
• Threes! ($2.15)
• Knots 3D ($2.00)
• Paper Camera ($2.15)
What's the catch when it comes to getting apps through Amazon?

zulux21

if you have a non kindle device you have to install the amazon app... app (not to be confused with the amazon store app or the amazon prime app) on your phone or tablet. Beyond that a few select apps (mostly really recent releases) seem to have something called amazon circle, but I haven't a clue what that is and have never dealt with it.

All in all there isn't much of a catch though. I installed the appstore app a while ago since amazon gives away a free app every day (and like 10% of the time they are actually decent apps :p)

Leo's Fortune is awesome! It makes me think of Braid meets Sonic. Leo is a tad too slippery imo, wish he was heavier.

I deleted Ultimate Spiderman. It's too repetitive, and that's saying something for an endless runner, and it has to download every fucking level so it's impossible to play in the train.

cw_sasuke

If you delete the Amazon App from your device, you wont be able to start the already installed apps ( but why would you install the Amazon App anyway).

Otherwise the apk versions in Amazon Appstore can sometimes be older than what is offered in Google Play store.

If you delete the Amazon App from your device, you wont be able to start the already installed apps ( but why would you install the Amazon App anyway).

Otherwise the apk versions in Amazon Appstore can sometimes be older than what is offered in Google Play store.
So don't bother if I don't own a Kindle?

• Genius Scan+ ($7.39)
• Swype Keyboard ($4.49)
• Quell Memento ($2.22)
• Sworkit PRO ($4.29)
• SketchBook Pro ($5.58)
• mSecure ($10.50)
• Another World ($2.16)
• Threes! ($2.15)
• Knots 3D ($2.00)
• Paper Camera ($2.15)

Some really good stuff on that list. Another World and Threes! are certainly worth picking up for free. Sonic 4 Episode 2 is another one. And on the applications side, Genius Scan+ and Swype are worth a look.

No major catch. Like with Humble, there is the possibility that an app developer might not update their version up on the Amazon Appstore (or they update it later than their Play Store version), but that's largely up to the app developer.

zulux21

So don't bother if I don't own a Kindle?

I think they meant uninstall... I mean with all of the free stuff amazon gives away including their own coin currency from time to time that allows you to buy other apps for free it's a valid app store to use for apps you want cheaper and it's not like it's a huge app so you don't need to remove it for room. I mean a few months ago they basically gave away like $30 in credit to anyone that downloaded the app and then got some free apps which people have been using to get newer releases for free.

as others said I forgot that sometimes the amazon apps get stuck on older versions... beyond that I think you might have to go through the app to update the games... though that might have been fixed in a more recent update.

zulux21

Yeah I don't understand the Amazon Appstore business model at all but hot dang, Threes and Another World for free? Sure thing!

It's the assumption that if you get people to at least download the store they might pay attention to it and buy some other things. you have to build a user base some way and free stuff is usually a good way to do that if you can afford to do it :p

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So I'm looking for a good logic puzzle/strategy game. Something akin to advance wars or picross

zulux21

• Genius Scan+ ($7.39)
• Swype Keyboard ($4.49)
• Quell Memento ($2.22)
• Sworkit PRO ($4.29)
• SketchBook Pro ($5.58)
• mSecure ($10.50)
• Another World ($2.16)
• Threes! ($2.15)
• Knots 3D ($2.00)
• Paper Camera ($2.15)

the apps seem to be live

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I got one of those surveys from Google Opinion Rewards this morning and after asking what games I thought of when I thought about computer, then mobile gaming it straight up asked me whether I'd heard of/played Hearthstone and how interested I'd be in it coming to Android. Pretty amusing, I imagine Google are fairly keen on Blizzard porting that over soon.

zulux21

I got one of those surveys from Google Opinion Rewards this morning and after asking what games I thought of when I thought about computer, then mobile gaming it straight up asked me whether I'd heard of/played Hearthstone and how interested I'd be in it coming to Android. Pretty amusing, I imagine Google are fairly keen on Blizzard porting that over soon.

I'd likely play it more if I had it on my tablet... I can't be bothered to start it up on my pc anymore... to much a grind due to horrible match making programming.

I wonder which one is missing as the AU list has 26 the US list has 26 but Heroes of Steel RPG Elite is not on the AU list but was on the US list...

er wait I know... it's the note taking one as I had issues getting that one when these launched but it's free now.

Top Bottom