• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Just wanted to say hold off on buying Combo Queen for now, if anyone is interested. It's very much style over substance.

Barebones gameplay loop, poor feedback on combo timing, and generally frustrating gameplay. If they work on it, it could be a cool hybrid runner game. If not, it's not worth the money.
Joy, the closest I've come to actually thinking about getting a mobile game.

Just wanted to say hold off on buying Combo Queen for now, if anyone is interested. It's very much style over substance.

Barebones gameplay loop, poor feedback on combo timing, and generally frustrating gameplay. If they work on it, it could be a cool hybrid runner game. If not, it's not worth the money.

I really like the core gameplay loop, but I agree with this.

soultron

Banned
Joy, the closest I've come to actually thinking about getting a mobile game.

I really like the core gameplay loop, but I agree with this.

Hilariously enough, here's my review and the developer's response:

Needs better audio and visual feedback for combo timing:

Offensive and defensive combos don't feel satisfying right now, and my success rate past 3 or 4 hits is very low due to the large gaps between some attack strikes throwing off my groove. It feels like some additional sounds could really help with combo timing success rates. The visual feedback on the timing UI elements and parrying especially, could be better. The art is beautiful, but the gameplay needs a few improvements for me to go back. Also, the UI buttons are small and too close together.

Tap My Game, Inc. March 21, 2015
Monsters give visual cues for what they're going to do as well as audio sounds. Perhaps you're not noticing them?

Reading other non-5-star reviews that got responses, the developer is incredibly defensive and not open to actually reading the critiques. It's like he didn't even read that I was asking for more/better visual and audio feedback/cues.

I work in the game industry, and the one thing you learn very quickly is to be open to feedback because, most of the time, your first run at something needs work.

Combo Queen needs work.

If the developer wanted a real dialogue, they'd ask anyone with feedback to email them. He (probably) doesn't want this.

Reading other non-5-star reviews that got responses, the developer is incredibly defensive and not open to actually reading the critiques. It's like he didn't even read that I was asking for more/better visual and audio feedback/cues.

I work in the game industry, and the one thing you learn very quickly is to be open to feedback because, most of the time, your first run at something needs work.

Combo Queen needs work.

If the developer wanted a real dialogue, they'd ask anyone with feedback to email them. He (probably) doesn't want this.

That is such a shame. I think the core loop is really good (animations + timing on the combat), but you are right about the feedback, and the RPG mechanics are...I just can't even tell why I should bother now that I've bought what seems like the best weapon.

I really want to like the game, but I have probably played for a couple hours now, and I have no idea how damage is calculated despite trying really hard to figure it out. Sometimes the same enemy type goes down in a couple hits, other times it takes forever. I know some of it is related to the length of a run, but other times I get a standard enemy at the beginning of a run that just takes a bunch of hits to take out.

Oh well, maybe someone will come along and make a much better version of a game like this. I'd like to, but I don't know if I'll get around to it (and I have no art skills).

soultron

Banned
That is such a shame. I think the core loop is really good (animations + timing on the combat), but you are right about the feedback, and the RPG mechanics are...I just can't even tell why I should bother now that I've bought what seems like the best weapon.

I really want to like the game, but I have probably played for a couple hours now, and I have no idea how damage is calculated despite trying really hard to figure it out. Sometimes the same enemy type goes down in a couple hits, other times it takes forever. I know some of it is related to the length of a run, but other times I get a standard enemy at the beginning of a run that just takes a bunch of hits to take out.

Oh well, maybe someone will come along and make a much better version of a game like this. I'd like to, but I don't know if I'll get around to it (and I have no art skills).

One of the biggest problem with damage in the game is that a single strike deals a single point of damage. Doesn't matter if it's a large enemy or a small one. The larger enemies have a much more frustrating animation and tell, however, which I guess makes them different. It'd be better if the timing and tells would be more consistent between enemy types, but larger enemies could have longer combos or do more damage with a single strike, IMO.

The huge enemies have very little lead-in time on their strike. If it's a double-strike, there's a small puff of smoke that is emitted from his head as a tell. There's a longer lead-out on their animation, which is only really useful when combining double-strikes. However, breaking down their striking animation, they have a horizontal slash which you can see very little of before it hits you -- the generous lead-out is used to show them finishing their sword movement towards the right edge of the screen, recovering to their initial standing animation. Conceptually, the animation could be rearranged so the lead-out could be used as a lead-in, you could see the sword coming from the right side of the screen, to the left, towards the player. This would provide a generous read window for the player.

The small enemies have a super generous lead-in time on their animation for striking, and this really helps when they use a double-strike. They literally jump in the air, and then come down on the player character when striking. This is fantastic! I can read this and very easily react. There lead-out of their animation is them moving back to their initial standing position. It's short and sweet.

The smaller enemy is a better implementation, in my opinion, and has a far better "tell."

---

Also, the parrying UI is much better than the attacking UI, IMO. The parrying icon flies in from the right screen edge. Great! In combination with a good lead-in animation, it's easy to react to. The speed the icon flies in is easy to read since it always travels the same distance.

The attacking UI is a set of two concentric circles. The difference between the radii is very small. It's much less than the total distance the parrying UI icon travels from the right screen edge to the player character. This is a huge problem. Some attack beats (which are arbitrarily timed matching the animation) have smaller timing windows, but it's very difficult to react to the shorter windows since the distance the larger circle contracts to the inner circle is so small. Sound feedback would help if it was used between attack strikes, not just as an attack strike hits or whiffs. Those are good too, but a feedback for the player between strikes would be great. Also, a way to tell when a combo ends (say if it's 4 strikes long) and then begins again, if the player goes combo strike length + n strikes, in a single turn would help. Simply increasing the radius of the larger circle would help a tonne too.

Hopefully most of these bits of feedback make sense.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

Combo Queen needs work.

Alright, this is leaving my wishlist. I was interested in the game, but I hate this kind of response to criticism.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
http://smile.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b?node=2350149011&sa-no-redirect=1 Heeeeeey Android bros, Amazon Free App of the day is the excellent Super Stickman Golf by the hothots at Noodlecake. Go grab it because this is the premium version with no ads. I couldn't even find this version on the Play Store.

Speaking of Noodlecake, can I just say how fucking hard Wayward souls is (In a good way)? I've been playing it for between 20 minutes to an hour a day for a week or two now and I STILL can't beat the first boss. I get to the fifth level of the introductory dungeon and die every time. On a good run I can get him to like a quarter health. I know I just need to get good, but damn.

I'm grinding my way through buying all the skills for the Adventurer. I've got a few of the skills maxed out, and am working on the last few. If I can't beat homeboy with a fully maxed Adventurer maybe I'm just not cut out for this shit.

Martal

Neo Member
Hey guys, I need a recommendation :

My GF is addicted to Candy Crush. I fear this might have a negative effect on her health and I'd prefer her to be addicted to a less soul-crushing game instead. Wanted to ask if you guys could recommend any games that maybe your missus's are into or anything that would be a nice step up from Candy Crush. Thanks!

soultron

Banned

My GF is addicted to Candy Crush. I fear this might have a negative effect on her health and I'd prefer her to be addicted to a less soul-crushing game instead. Wanted to ask if you guys could recommend any games that maybe your missus's are into or anything that would be a nice step up from Candy Crush. Thanks!

To what degree? Is she spending hours of time a day playing? Does it cut into things like dinner or conversations you have? Is she spending hundreds of dollars on IAPs? Is she failing to fulfill career (or any other) obligations?

If not, I think you might be exaggerating a bit. My GF plays it for an hour or two, total, per day but spends nothing. She also doesn't play when we're doing stuff together. It's basically like how I'll spend an hour or two every day playing CSGO after dinner.

I was addicted to Candy Crush. I didn't spend money, but I was changing the clock on my phone so I could play endlessly, and it got to where it was making me late for things, and keeping from going to bed. I deleted it and didn't look back.

Fuck that game. Only game that's gotten me that hooked.

Is it the fact that she plays it for a few hours that you think it is impacting her health or is it actually getting in the way of eating and exercise(if any)?

Martal

Neo Member
OK I might have exaggerated the addiction a bit. Its more that I see her playing that (maybe to a slightly unhealthy degree, but that's mostly beside the point atm) and I can't help but think that if I could recommend her a different game, maybe she'd see that games don't only have to Match 3 type time wasters and understand my own love of games a bit more. I appreciate that Candy Crush is a good gateway drug, but I'd like to see if she's also interested in other games. She hasn't really been up to this point, but I see how hard it would be for someone to find something on the vast marketplace that Android has become.
I thought I'd find something to recommend to her to see if she likes other kinds of games as well.

soultron

Banned
OK I might have exaggerated the addiction a bit. Its more that I see her playing that (maybe to a slightly unhealthy degree, but that's mostly beside the point atm) and I can't help but think that if I could recommend her a different game, maybe she'd see that games don't only have to Match 3 type time wasters and understand my own love of games a bit more. I appreciate that Candy Crush is a good gateway drug, but I'd like to see if she's also interested in other games. She hasn't really been up to this point, but I see how hard it would be for someone to find something on the vast marketplace that Android has become.
I thought I'd find something to recommend to her to see if she likes other kinds of games as well.

Eh, I'd not try to force your love/appreciation of games on her. I know you're not trying to do that, but I've found it's largely worthless to come off that when when recommending a substitute, like their choices are bad.

More personal anecdotes: my GF had a kick with Threes! and/or 2048 for a bit. She liked that. She also likes stuff like Quiz Up and generic Sodoku apps. Those are the types of games she likes and I've come to accept it. She'll probably play CC until ceases to be a thing. That's cool with me.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
XCOM will never leave my phone. It amazes me that the full thing is on mobile.

If anyone wants to play multiplayer, let me know. I've always wanted to try it.

Koozek

Reposting here:
Tried out SE's Heavenstrike which is surprisingly charming and well-made with a nice soundtrack from Ryo Yamazaki (synthesizer programmer and composer on many FFs) and character design by Ryoma Ito (FF Tactics Advance, FFXII:RW). I really like the characters and the setting. It has the typical F2P regenerating "Stamina" mechanics though, but if you only play in short sessions (15-30min) and want to do the story missions only you won't need to wait much. Imo the only F2P game that didn't feel like it was only fun or playable if you paid all the time was Sakaguchi's Terra Battle. Played that for weeks, which I never did with a mobile game before.

Horseticuffs

Not to go off on a tangent, but how is the SHIELD? I see great reviews but none of the stores around me have it for me to get my hands on it to just try it out.
I have the shield tablet and it's a fucking beast. Everything I've thrown at it that has graphics settings gets maxed out no sweat. Very fun tablet and, though I don't have the nVidia controller, it works badass with controllers. If a game doesn't support them you can very easily create a profile to map taps or gestures to buttons. Chances are someone else already has, in fact, and you can download it in-game easy as pie.

I highly recommend the Shield Tablet. I hear good things about the actual handheld too, if that's what you mean. I think they're both only sold physically in GameStop or something. I got mine off Amazon.

I bought the Shield Tablet mainly for gaming since you can buy general use tablets that work fine for much cheaper. Worth every penny, in my opinion. Yeah, Play has a green country mile to go to match the App Store, but it gets portrayed as a total ghetto by a lot of folks. I think it's getting better every day. I'm currently listening to the latest Super Best Friend Cast and they're really ripping into Play at the moment lol.

Sorry for the rant!

I have the shield tablet and it's a fucking beast. Everything I've thrown at it that has graphics settings gets maxed out no sweat. Very fun tablet and, though I don't have the nVidia controller, it works badass with controllers. If a game doesn't support them you can very easily create a profile to map taps or gestures to buttons. Chances are someone else already has, in fact, and you can download it in-game easy as pie.

I highly recommend the Shield Tablet. I hear good things about the actual handheld too, if that's what you mean. I think they're both only sold physically in GameStop or something. I got mine off Amazon.

I bought the Shield Tablet mainly for gaming since you can buy general use tablets that work fine for much cheaper. Worth every penny, in my opinion. Yeah, Play has a green country mile to go to match the App Store, but it gets portrayed as a total ghetto by a lot of folks. I think it's getting better every day. I'm currently listening to the latest Super Best Friend Cast and they're really ripping into Play at the moment lol.

Sorry for the rant!
Excellent. Yes, I mean the SHIELD tablet. Great to see another recommendation for it. Thanks!

Horseticuffs

My shield tablet is arriving tomorrow. Hype!!
Enjoy! Consider the humble Android bundle if you haven't already. I just started Costume Quest and it is fucking killer. Like it was custom made just for me!

And of course anything from Terry Cavanaugh is pure gold.

Not to go off on a tangent, but how is the SHIELD? I see great reviews but none of the stores around me have it for me to get my hands on it to just try it out.

It's fantastic. Great screen, pretty hefty specs for what it is, love the included stylus and the near-stock Android. Very solid as a having system while totally useful as a day-to-day tablet as well. Only real downside is that it's a bit thick and heavy next to other comparable tablets, though even then not by much.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm tempted on both 2k games, but hearing the S4 runs poorly is cause for a concern.

My Nexus 7 2013 has similar specs, and I worry both games will run like ass.

My phone is faster, but I much prefer to play on my tablet screen. :/

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
How do you think it will run on the s6?

I would expect it to run very well, considering that's more powerful than what I'm using.

Tried out PPSSPP for the first time today. Wowzers. Type 0 runs at a rock-solid 30 fps at my phone's native res. Looks amazing, plays perfectly with the ipega controller. I'm pretty happy with it.

Hasney

I'm tempted on both 2k games, but hearing the S4 runs poorly is cause for a concern.

My Nexus 7 2013 has similar specs, and I worry both games will run like ass.

My phone is faster, but I much prefer to play on my tablet screen. :/

Having used both devices for XCOM, it does indeed run like shit on the S4 but it was better on my mums Nexus 7. More than playable for me.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
My S5 gets uncomfortably hot if I play XCOM for too long. I never play more than a few minutes at a time, though.

linsivvi

I played XCOM on Note 2 and it gets very hot too.

The game ran mostly fine and my only other complaint is that it eats so much RAM that whenever I swap to another app or even just turn off the screen the game has to reload again. That's very annoying.

anddo0

My S5 gets uncomfortably hot if I play XCOM for too long. I never play more than a few minutes at a time, though.

I played XCOM on Note 2 and it gets very hot too.

The game ran mostly fine and my only other complaint is that it eats so much RAM that whenever I swap to another app or even just turn off the screen the game has to reload again. That's very annoying.

It runs hot on my Z3 after 30mins, after 40mins+ framerate starts to suffer, no doubt because of throttling. The heat index after playing X-com is around 146f.

sharath_kumar

Neo Member
Guys, I would like your feedback for our game in Android play store called Hunter vs Demons: Platforming game [ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.HunterArena ]

The game is an infinite running, platforming game, which requires you to shoot arrows to kill demons, free angels and levelling up to become master of your own destiny. Though it includes in-app purchases to quickly level up, it is not necessary to complete the game. Skill is enough.

What do you think about it?

If this is a wrong thread, please let me know. I will delete my post and post it to an appropriate thread.

Top Bottom