• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The sequel to costume quest is pretty terrible or at least pointless if you play the first one. It feels slapped together in order to make some quick cash. I don't begrudge them doing that but buyers should beware.

What? The second Costume Quest is fantastic! It has some faults for sure but it didn't seem slapped together to me. Granted, the humor and story are my favorite things about the series.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Every once in a while Amazon will really kill it with the free app of the day. I had already bought Wayward Souls, but that's great for everyone who hasn't jumped on it yet. That game is pretty legit.

garath

Nice. Picked up wayward souls. The only thing I don't like about it so far is if I need to hit home and sleep the game, it keeps the screen on. Rough for a mobile game.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Wayward is fun but hard as hell. Never did beat the first boss. I bought Mage Gauntlet hearing it was similar but easier.

Sol1dus

The first episode of GoT is free on the Amazon Appstore.

I played through it today on the big screen with my Shield Tablet. The game is awesome, I even bought the season pass with the rest of my amazon coins. However I can't download any of the episodes due the the game being so glitchy. Its a damn shame because the forums on their website are littered with people having the same problem.

Just giving you guys a word of advice. You might be better off trying out the first episode and just not giving them your money until they fix their game.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to get Amazon to return my coins so I can delete the game.

Hasney

Just giving you guys a word of advice. You might be better off trying out the first episode and just not giving them your money until they fix their game.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to get Amazon to return my coins so I can delete the game.

Only thing I'll say is don't hold your breath hoping for them to fix it. Telltale are pretty notorious for it.

anddo0

The first episode of GoT is free on the Amazon Appstore.

I played through it today on the big screen with my Shield Tablet. The game is awesome, I even bought the season pass with the rest of my amazon coins. However I can't download any of the episodes due the the game being so glitchy. Its a damn shame because the forums on their website are littered with people having the same problem.

what type of glitches?

I'm playing the free episode and it's been smooth so far.

Two more added to the Mobile Bundle's BTA:

So I just bought the bundle (mainly for 80 Days), but I was curious about how these versions of the games work in regards to updates.

I currently own Kingdom Rush Origins already, but now I have this Humble Bundle version with all the pay content. Does this Humble Bundle version still update through the Google Play store when new levels are released for it?

EDIT: I actually found the explanation on their site, apparently they update through their own Humble Bundle Android app, which makes sense. Hopefully their updates are timely, because one of the things I hated about the Amazon app store was how long some games would take to update (if they updated at all).

Nikodemos

Crusaders Quest has become completely unplayable on my Xperia M2. It was always pretty unstable, even with low-perf mode on, but now it won't even start even though I cleared the cache. A pity, since I really like the game and its humour.

Oh, and I still like Deck Heroes despite its highly simplistic gameplay and its recent slide towards P2W.

I'm looking for some cool time killing arcade games for when I'm on the train or whatever. Games in the vein of the awesome Pac Man CE and the super addictive Super Hexagon. I've been searching through this thread and others and am finding it hard to come up with anything. Recommendations?

I also downloaded Hero Of Many thanks to this thread so thank you to the OP for that. Although I'm looking for arcade games anything like that would be awesome too.

Hitman Go is on sale for $0.99 (Regular $4.99), to celebrate the first anniversary of the game's release:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.squareenixmontreal.hitmango

Amazon's got another bundle of apps for free:
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_lin...d_t=101&pf_rd_p=2078345822&pf_rd_i=2350149011
Plants vs. Zombies (Kindle-Only)
Plants vs. Zombies (Wi-Fi Download) (For Kindle and non-Kindle devices)
Adventure Time Game Wizard (Kindle-only?)
Table Top Racing
F18 Carrier Landing
Virtua Tennis Challenge
Amazing Alex Premium
Unmechanical
Pudding Monsters HD
Prince of Persia Classic
Osmos HD
Chess and Mate

Wolfram|Alpha
Runtastic Pro
Songsterr Guitar Tabs
Flightradar24 Pro
MeteoEarth
CityMaps2Go Pro
LectureNotes
A Better Camera Unocked
Oxford Spanish Dictionary
RDP Pro Client: aRDP
TouchDraw
Mobile Doc Scanner
Fun English Course
Splashtop Whiteboard

anddo0

Great. Mostly better on a tablet just because phones get real hot playing it for the most part.

Yeah it runs amazing well. I'd say it's superior to the PS3 version in terms of framerate and loading times. The only problem is phone heat after an hour or more of play.

E92 M3

Great. Mostly better on a tablet just because phones get real hot playing it for the most part.

Yeah it runs amazing well. I'd say it's superior to the PS3 version in terms of framerate and loading times. The only problem is phone heat after an hour or more of play.

I'm planning on playing it on the Note 4 in half hour increments at most. Should I wait for any sales or anything?

anddo0

Enemy Within was on sale in February. It's hard to say when it will be $5 again. The game is definitely worth the asking price of $10 though.

Calcaneus

I just tried a bit of Implosion as well (just the trial) , shocked that it looks so good and runs well on my phone. Gets a bit hot though. Only played three missions but if they keep adding mechanics and upping the challenge I can see it being a great game. I'm a sucker for mech games as well.

Also got Hitman GO since I had some extra money in my account, I'll start that soon.

kennah

I don't know if it's just my imagination or game updates or whatever, but I tried xcom again since going lollipop on my s4 and it seems to run way better

Nikodemos

Implosion looks very nice and runs surprisingly well on my M2, but I greatly dislike virtual buttons, particularly the thumbstick, especially since it doesn't have any haptic feedback. It's something I've noticed missing in pretty much all virtual thumbstick games.

Oh, and since the very latest update, Crusaders Quest doesn't crash at launch anymore. Seems like the devs are reading GAF. Now if they could only fix the screen lock coming on during Google Play login screen issue...

So Kingdom Rush: Origins was pretty fucking fantastic. Best tower defense game I've ever played. Seriously ever. It's so much fun. The way in which it keeps you active and maintains your attention is just sublime. Addictive as hell. It's a little too short though. I completed the campaign in only three or so sessions. I downloaded Kingdom Rush: Frontiers to get another tower defense fix and unfortunately that game is nowhere near as good as its sequel. It's inferior in every way. Anyone know if the original is decent?

I'll be keeping an eye on that studio though. They created probably the most enjoyable mobile game I've ever played.

So Kingdom Rush: Origins was pretty fucking fantastic. Best tower defense game I've ever played. Seriously ever. It's so much fun. The way in which it keeps you active and maintains your attention is just sublime. Addictive as hell. It's a little too short though. I completed the campaign in only three or so sessions. I downloaded Kingdom Rush: Frontiers to get another tower defense fix and unfortunately that game is nowhere near as good as its sequel. It's inferior in every way. Anyone know if the original is decent?

I'll be keeping an eye on that studio though. They created probably the most enjoyable mobile game I've ever played.
Did you ever play Defender Chronicles? It's like a side-scroller Tower Defense meets Diablo in a way. Best Tower Defense game ever, always gets overlooked which is a shame since so much effort went into the game.

EDIT: Nevermind, thought Defender Chronicles was available on Android but apparently it isn't. Shame.

linsivvi

The games aren't that short if you are going after all the iron and heroic challenges and 3 stars on all stages. Other than that, the developer will update the games with new contents from time to time. They just added a second endless stage to Frontiers last month and there should be new stages for Origins in a week or so (there are new achievements listed in Google Play).

As for the quality, I feel like the series gets progressively slightly better. When the first one came out it was lauded as the best tower defense game ever but if you don't think so highly of Frontiers then maybe skip the original and find something else.

Did you ever play Defender Chronicles? It's like a side-scroller Tower Defense meets Diablo in a way. Best Tower Defense game ever, always gets overlooked which is a shame since so much effort went into the game.

EDIT: Nevermind, thought Defender Chronicles was available on Android but apparently it isn't. Shame.

Thanks for the recommendation! I checked out Chronicles and its sequel and you're correct; they appear to be iOS only for the moment. Here's hoping there's an Android port down the line (or even Steam) because the screenshots for the Chronicles games look beyond amazing. So I take it the only platform they're available for at the moment is iOS? My Sisters have some iPads so there's still a possibility I can play them. It's just that at home I only really have my PC for Steam games and my Z3 Compact for Android games. I'll definitely keep the Chronicles games in mind though. They genuinely look quite fantastic from the screens I've seen. I'll be sure to remember them just in case ports do eventually happen.

The games aren't that short if you are going after all the iron and heroic challenges and 3 stars on all stages. Other than that, the developer will update the games with new contents from time to time. They just added a second endless stage to Frontiers last month and there should be new stages for Origins in a week or so (there are new achievements listed in Google Play).

As for the quality, I feel like the series gets progressively slightly better. When the first one came out it was lauded as the best tower defense game ever but if you don't think so highly of Frontiers then maybe skip the original and find something else.

Thanks for the tip! I actually didn't notice the additional challenges so thanks for pointing that out. It might be worth going back to Origins again and checking them out. Extend the play time for the game as evidently I haven't fully experienced everything in the game yet. New content sounds fantastic too so I'll be sure to keep updating the games. Speaking of Frontiers specifically I think I hadn't played enough of it when I came to the opinion and conclusion in my previous post because playing a little more of it the game does seem about on par with Origins. Once I hit the more challenging levels I could see the quality shining through more. It's as good as Origins now that I've played some more of it.

Both Origins and Frontiers are exceptional games though. I encourage anyone who likes tower defense games to give them a shot. They're the best I've ever played.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Need to find something new to play, but I always just end up loading up Hearthstone.

This is even worse now that it's on my phone as well as my tablet.

linsivvi

Thanks for the tip! I actually didn't notice the additional challenges so thanks for pointing that out. It might be worth going back to Origins again and checking them out. Extend the play time for the game as evidently I haven't fully experienced everything in the game yet. New content sounds fantastic too so I'll be sure to keep updating the games. Speaking of Frontiers specifically I think I hadn't played enough of it when I came to the opinion and conclusion in my previous post because playing a little more of it the game does seem about on par with Origins. Once I hit the more challenging levels I could see the quality shining through more. It's as good as Origins now that I've played some more of it.

Both Origins and Frontiers are exceptional games though. I encourage anyone who likes tower defense games to give them a shot. They're the best I've ever played.

Good to hear you end up liking both! When they updated Frontiers, it is a bit strange for me to go back too since I've gotten so used to the hero specific spells. What I like the most is that they do not reuse the upper tier towers like most serial games would do, so the games always play somewhat differently. The attention to details is also something I don't see in most tower defense games.

Yeah, the Kingdom Rush games are pretty much the only Mobile games I play with any regularity. I personally think they are all pretty equal in terms of gameplay, but they do get a little better (or at least different) with each game.

The first game doesn't have permanently upgrading heroes, they upgrade from level 1 in each stage, which gives you an incentive to put them in the action to level fast so they are strong enough for the later rushes of enemies. Frontiers added more of the dynamic levels were new routes open up and there are special towers to spend coins on (pirate ships that fire on enemies, special unit towers on the map, etc.) and added the persistent upgrades for the hero characters. And finally Origins added the Hero Ability that you can activate on your own.

I barely see them as seperate games at this point since I've played them so much, they're more like expansions of the same great game. If you want more content, you can do the two challenges for each stage which gives you enough points to finish up the upgrades on your main skill tree (for the different units and stuff) which then gives you enough power to do the really hard (free) DLC levels they added after release. And then you can play the game on the harder difficulty levels as well. I've seriously put in dozens of hours across these games (woudn't be surprised if I've broken 100 by now) and I still haven't played above "Casual" difficult which feels perfect to me. I did replay the games a lot when I lost save progress on Android, and I bought them all on my iPad as well and play them on there too.

The HMB11 is finished, in its place is the Humble Tin Man Games Mobile Bundle. Apparently, this is a collection of "Fantasy Gamebooks," sort of like Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books with RPG elements.

https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

PWYW Tier:
Judge Dredd: Countdown Sector 106
Slaves of Rema
Siege of the Necromancer
An Assassin in Orlandes

BTA Tier:
Trial of the Clone
Curse of the Assassin
Fighting Fantasy: Caverns of the Snow Witch
Sultans of Rema
+ More next week

$9 Tier:
Ryan North's To Be or Not To Be
Fighting Fantasy: Starship Traveller

Speaking of hard DLC levels, word on the street is that the upcoming new stages for Origins are really, really hard.

Can't wait!

Wonder exactly HOW hard they'll be. There was one added to the first game (corrupted woods, or something like that) that was seriously impossible for me until I watched a video playthrough, and even then I almost lost.

If I remember right it would swarm you with trees or mushrooms that would break into smaller ones, but it would did it early in the match and from all directions, so it was super hard to set everything up when and where you want it.

In other news, it looks like Square-Enix uploaded a LolliPop-enabled update (Version 1.0.2) for Final Fantasy VI on the Amazon Appstore. AFAIK, it marks the first time that SE put out an updated version of a Final Fantasy app on the Amazon Appstore, despite posting new builds on the Play Store.

EDIT: Speaking of LP compatibility, my phone recently received its LP update (5.0.2), so I can confirm which games (that I own) work on LP and which ones don't. Dragon Quest I, Dragon Quest IV, VVVVVV (Amazon Appstore), Super Hexagon (Humble Store), and Terra Battle work fine on LP. The Kairosoft games that I have installed (Pocket Academy, Pocket League Story, Dungeon Village, and Pocket Stables) also work fine. King of Fighters '98 crashes at the start, and Metal Slug 3 (Humble Store) crashes after the SNK/DotEmu screens.

Qvoth

anybody here have experience with forge? it's mtg against cpu only (or so i've heard)
since i'm not interested in pvp i'm kinda interested

or should i just try out magic 2015 from google play?

Top Bottom