• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

More sales, some Kemco RPGs this time:
Soul Historica - $0.99 (Regular $3.99)
Soul of Deva - $0.99 (Regular $3.99)
Symphony of the Origin - $0.99 (Regular $3.99)
Journey to Kreisia - $0.99 (Regular $3.99)
Star Traders 4X Empires Elite - $1.99 (Regular $4.99)
Lifeline - $0.99 (Regular $2.99)

Where there a high chance the Dragon Quest titles would go on sale this month?
Yeah, Square-Enix seems to hold a major sale that includes most FFs and DQs around every six months. Last year, it happened around the end of July.

danielcw

I am thinking about buying a MOGA Pocket Controller for 20 bucks
http://store.mogaanywhere.com/Products/CPFA000253-01

Does anybody have experience with it?
Is it good, and does it require you to use extra software?

I use this and really like it, but other users here have reported input delay.

Thanks for your input :)

I am on of those people who had trouble with input lag, but that was on an older model of that controller (which didn't have the multimedia keys, for example)

Yasawas

I just want a basic yet fun JRPG with no ads or IAP shit on my phone, can anyone recommend either of the first couple of Dragon Quests to a newcomer? I fancy the later ones and some Final Fantasies (I've never played any pre-VII) but a pricetag of a few pounds is easier to swallow than eleven. ELEVEN.

ElTopo

Banned
I use this and really like it, but other users here have reported input delay. Can't say that's been my experience, as I definitely would've noticed in when playing Gitaroo Man Lives. Not saying other users are wrong, just that it might be a case of YMMV. I also use it when streaming PC games through Moonlight, and it's recognized as a 360 controller. No special steps required to do so, I just connected it to my phone and it worked. I've also yet to find a game that doesn't support it, excluding things that are made solely for touchscreens.

The build quality definitely won't blow you away, but it's better than what I expected given the price. Sticks feel okay but a bit loose, dpad is fine, buttons and triggers are nice. It comes with media controls, which is nice. Holds my S5 securely, but it's very easy to remove. My girlfriend has a fairly bulky case on her S5 and it still manages to hold it, although not as well as it does without.

I just played some Geometry Wars 3 with it. Felt great.

Just got this. Nice little controller considering how cheap it is. It's so nice to play Predators with an actual controller. The touch controls are fine in that game except for your attack buttons, they're weirdly delayed with touch.

bomblord1

Banned
2 Questions.

1. Are their any GOOD visual novels on android?

2. How is Final Fantasy Tactics? I've never played it and this might be a good time to jump in.

aravuus

I recently picked up you must build a boat. Never played 10mil but man I got hooked hard this week

Yeah, it was fucking amazing. Managed to do a run or two every time I had even the tiniest amount of free time at work lol. Shame it seems there's really nothing else like it.

Anyway, does anyone have any good turn-based RPG recommendations? Solo, party, whatever. I've been playing Historia for a couple of weeks now and it's been pretty awesome. Hasn't been a single moment where I felt a need to spend real money.

Vorg

Banned
Yeah, it was fucking amazing. Managed to do a run or two every time I had even the tiniest amount of free time at work lol. Shame it seems there's really nothing else like it.

Anyway, does anyone have any good turn-based RPG recommendations? Solo, party, whatever. I've been playing Historia for a couple of weeks now and it's been pretty awesome. Hasn't been a single moment where I felt a need to spend real money.

Well there's all those final fantasy and dragon quest games. Dq 4-6 are awesome. Dq 8 may run like crap but holy shit is it amazing. Then you have the world ends with you, chrono trigger and secret of mana. Also, if you feel like trying emulators like snes9x ex, drastic or epsxe, the possibilities are endless.

I haven't played it to any great degree yet, but Ravenmark: Mercenaries is often recommended as a turn-based Fire Emblem like strategy RPG.

aravuus

Well there's all those final fantasy and dragon quest games. Dq 4-6 are awesome. Dq 8 may run like crap but holy shit is it amazing. Then you have the world ends with you, chrono trigger and secret of mana. Also, if you feel like trying emulators like snes9x ex, drastic or epsxe, the possibilities are endless.

Sorry, I should have specified, I meant actual Android games. No ports or emulators, I'm a pretty big RPG fan so I've already played all of those on the respective consoles etc dozens of times

I haven't played it to any great degree yet, but Ravenmark: Mercenaries is often recommended as a turn-based Fire Emblem like strategy RPG.

Thanks, I'll check it out! Looks pretty sweet

maxcriden

Hi all. I'm new to mobile gaming and have an android phone but my understanding is a lot of games are available on both kinds of devices. So this seems to be an active thread so I thought I might ask for a recommendation or two. I tend to like Nintendo sorts of games if that's helpful. I previously really enjoyed Monument Valley on my iPad but I tried Nubs' Adventure and have found it just OK so far. That's the extent of my mobile gaming experience really. I've tried angry birds and flappy bird and such but those aren't really my cup of tea. Thanks for any recs you can provide!

P.S. eager to play the best of the best on Android. Especially a platformer fan but pretty open. I do like point and click/adventure games and VNs, too. I'm not generally into racing, sports, arcade, or anything violent. I would prefer not to play games on my Moto E that I could also play on Wii U, 3DS or PS3. Thanks!!

Santiako

Hi all. I'm new to mobile gaming and have an android phone but my understanding is a lot of games are available on both kinds of devices. So this seems to be an active thread so I thought I might ask for a recommendation or two. I tend to like Nintendo sorts of games if that's helpful. I previously really enjoyed Monument Valley on my iPad but I tried Pip's Adventure and have found it just OK so far. That's the extent of my mobile gaming experience really. I've tried angry birds and flappy bird and such but those aren't really my cup of tea. Thanks for any recs you can provide!

P.S. eager to play the best of the best on Android. Especially a platformer fan but pretty open. I do like point and click/adventure games and VNs, too. I'm not generally into racing, sports, arcade, or anything violent. I would prefer not to play games on my Moto E that I could also play on Wii U, 3DS or PS3. Thanks!!

For your platforming needs, I recommend these games:
Rayman Jungle Run
Rayman Fiesta Run

Both are fantastic and gorgeous.

If you are open to try card games, please give Hearthstone a try, one of the best games available on the platform and perfect for quick games.

maxcriden

For your platforming needs, I recommend these games:
Rayman Jungle Run
Rayman Fiesta Run

Both are fantastic and gorgeous.

If you are open to try card games, please give Hearthstone a try, one of the best games available on the platform and perfect for quick games.

I have Jungle Run but with the autorunning I find it kinda bothers my eyes and couldn't get into it. Sorry man. Thank you for the recommendaiton, though.

(Not a TCG guy, but I appreciate the rec!)

soultron

Banned
Got into Danmaku Unlimited 2 after reading posts in this thread about it. Game is fucking amazing. Great UX/UI for a mobile game. Shame it just munches battery life. Also, for anyone playing it, make sure to manually kill the task after you exit or it will continue to eat upwards of 70MB of RAM, even in idle.

Santiako

I have Jungle Run but with the autorunning I find it kinda bothers my eyes and couldn't get into it. Sorry man. Thank you for the recommendaiton, though.

(Not a TCG guy, but I appreciate the rec!)

Traditional platformers are quite tricky on touch controls due to the lack of dpad, so most of the good ones are auto-runners.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Alphabear came out a few days ago and I'm hooked. It's a word game where you aren't limited by letters being adjacent to each other, they just have to be next to a bear to be unlocked. Very simple, very relaxing. It's f2p with an energy mechanic, but so far I haven't hit a wall after about 3 hours of play spread out over a couple days. You can watch ads to get energy, buy it, or just wait for it to automatically refill.

maxcriden

Traditional platformers are quite tricky on touch controls due to the lack of dpad, so most of the good ones are auto-runners.

Yep, that's the impression I'm getting. Nubs' Adventure controls ok (why did I say Pip's Adventure? Lol. I'm playing Adventures of Pip on Wii U and really digging it. I guess that is on iOS as well, but I meant Nubs' Adventure) but it's just not the most exciting.

If he wants a real platformer which isn't auto-run, then there's Rayman Adventures coming out.

Is that confirmed not to be an auto-runner? I thought people weren't sure.

RedFyn

I haven't played many platformers but I enjoyed Leo's Fortune and Badland

I should note that I got Leo's Fortune for free and can't can't speak for whether it's worth the price. If you do get it I recommend turning on the on screen buttons as I found them more reliable.

Also download the amazon app store to get a paid app for free every day.

John Blade

What is the best Kemco games on android. I just manage to get RPG Chrome Wolf and liking it so far. Wondering what other games I should look into n Kemco and if they is games similar to RPG Chrome Wolf?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Hi all. I'm new to mobile gaming and have an android phone but my understanding is a lot of games are available on both kinds of devices. So this seems to be an active thread so I thought I might ask for a recommendation or two. I tend to like Nintendo sorts of games if that's helpful. I previously really enjoyed Monument Valley on my iPad but I tried Nubs' Adventure and have found it just OK so far. That's the extent of my mobile gaming experience really. I've tried angry birds and flappy bird and such but those aren't really my cup of tea. Thanks for any recs you can provide!

Definitely check Threes! and Hitman Go. If you like rpgs and choose your own adventure games, I've been having fun with the Sorcery! games. As someone else mentioned, Amazon does a free app of the day. Be sure to get Google Opinion Rewards for free Google Play credit.

I don't see how. I mean you can buy more stages and characters but I don't see anything that would ruin the experience without buying anything extra. Which I never do.

Awesome. Thank you for the info. I may pick this up after all then.

<link removed, just in case>
Flashback The quest for identity is on Amazon app store..I used to love this game.

That app doesn't look very official, or trustworthy. It's priced at Free, the description is vague and poorly-written, and the app developer's page only shows Flashback, Ecco Jr., and some Fitness app. Whoever this ksu is, from the screenshots, it looks like they just packaged a Genesis emulator with the respective ROMs for Flashback and Ecco Jr.

Of course, that's the more optimistic scenario if it is not licensed. The worst-case would be if they packed something else with it (e.g. malware, adware, etc.). Some of those permissions look quite suspicious.

bomblord1

Banned
So my Nexus 6 just updated to android 5.1.1 anyone know what changes that entails? I tried googling it but I couldn't find anything about the Nexus 6 on it.

Lifeline is on sale, it's pretty great so far and a must buy if you're a fan of branching text based adventures.

fQlD8Fy.jpg

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.threeminutegames.lifeline.google&hl=en

lutheran

That app doesn't look very official, or trustworthy. It's priced at Free, the description is vague and poorly-written, and the app developer's page only shows Flashback, Ecco Jr., and some Fitness app. Whoever this ksu is, from the screenshots, it looks like they just packaged a Genesis emulator with the respective ROMs for Flashback and Ecco Jr.

Of course, that's the more optimistic scenario if it is not licensed. The worst-case would be if they packed something else with it (e.g. malware, adware, etc.). Some of those permissions look quite suspicious.

Could that happen with software that is being sold on the Amazon app store? It isn't checked for Malware? I assumed some sort of ads were part of the deal when it was there for free but malware is another story.

Could that happen with software that is being sold on the Amazon app store? It isn't checked for Malware? I assumed some sort of ads were part of the deal when it was there for free but malware is another story.

I'm guessing that Amazon checks for malware, but no system is perfect, and some stuff could theoretically slip through. Looking at the permissions, it does look like it has some sort of adware though, particularly the "Show alert-level window above everything else" permission.

Like I said, it looks like all his ksu person did was take an existing Genesis emulator (Retro Emulator, judging by the interface in the screenshots), package it with a ROM and autostart, and put ads in (or more likely, redirect RE's existing ads, since reviews on the Play Store indicate that RE had pretty intrusive ads in the first place).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I started playing Lifeline, but the super-plucky way the guy writes started getting to me after a bit. Luckily I can send this guy to imminent death whenever I want. The idea is fascinating though, notification-based games.

Lifeline is on sale, it's pretty great so far and a must buy if you're a fan of branching text based adventures.

http://i.imgur.com/fQlD8Fy.jpg[img]

[url]https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.threeminutegames.lifeline.google&hl=en[url][/QUOTE]

Bought. Enjoying it so far and like the concept.

lutheran

I'm guessing that Amazon checks for malware, but no system is perfect, and some stuff could theoretically slip through. Looking at the permissions, it does look like it has some sort of adware though, particularly the "Show alert-level window above everything else" permission.

Like I said, it looks like all his ksu person did was take an existing Genesis emulator (Retro Emulator, judging by the interface in the screenshots), package it with a ROM and autostart, and put ads in (or more likely, redirect RE's existing ads, since reviews on the Play Store indicate that RE had pretty intrusive ads in the first place).

Thanks for the reply Zero

Pachimari

Just bought Cities: Skylines.
Another one I'll be playing alongside the other games.

But I heard good things about this one.

[edit] Wrong thread sorry.

kama

Has anyone tried the Android version of Steins;Gate? Apparently there is a fan translation for this version, I'm wondering if it's worth it. The app itself is free, so I'm assuming you have to buy the chapters piece meal or as a bundle via IAP?

If it runs well and is reasonably priced I'd rather play it on my phone than the vita.

Top Bottom