• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

ElTopo

Banned
GTA : Chinatown wars is also on sale.

Thanks for the heads up. For a $1 it's a must buy.

Also, I recommend the F2P game Sword of Xolan. Very good platformer proving that touch screen can work for a 2D platformer. The F2P shit isn't too bad, you just get nagged with an ad after you beat a level.

Apparently, all of these sales are part of a promo:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_3001959_premium_games_sale?hl=en

A few more not mentioned above:
Valiant Hearts: The Great War (Part 1) - $0.99
LIMBO - $0.99
Tetrobot and Co. - $0.79
NBA Jam - $0.60
The Room Two - $0.69
Marvel Pinball - $0.49
Age of Zombies - $0.10

Where, from which country, do you see those prices?
For example Momument Valley is still 2,99 EUR in Germany, and many other deals posted in this thread have very different prices for me as well.

EDIT: google play needs a gift system

USA

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'm buying games and I don't have a single MB of space to spare for any of them. Think I need to get a new phone, 16 GB isn't cutting it.

SID 6581

Thanks for the heads-up.

I bought Chinatown Wars for 77p. It was great on PSP (never played on DS.) I just hope it supports controllers.

BTW does anyone know if there's a way to sync a Dualshock 3 with an Xperia phone without sourcing that odd USB micro - mini OTG lead?

Edit: Nevermind, I realised that I just need to plug the usual DS3 charging lead into a USB OTG adapter. No wonder I couldn't find the cablle to buy.. Duh.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
It's shitty how phones moved away from micro SD cards so they could charge more for storage tiers.
I have a phone that supports microSD cards, but a lot of games won't allow much of their data to be stored on it. XCOM, for example, still takes up over 2 GB on my device storage after moving what I can to the SD.

When I get a new phone, 128 GB is going to be a necessity. With that, I could skip the memory card and still be okay.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
What app do people use in order to connect a Dualshock 3 to a phone via OTG? I have an HTC One M8 and Sixaxis Enabler didn't really work. I tried USB/BT Joystick Center after and I got the D-Pad to work, but couldn't really figure out the proper button configs so that games could detect them. I am pondering on whether I should root again and give Sixaxis Controller a go, but I'm getting mixed signals of reports that the app does support the M8 and people who claim that it doesn't. Help?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Valiant Hearts does not appear to be the full game, FYI. The rest is purchasable in app. Kind of disappointed. Don't think I will wind up playing through it.

soultron

Banned
Grabbed The Trace after having it recommended to me.

Neat murder mystery in 3 acts/scenes. If you liked The Room 1+2, you'll probably enjoy this. Some of the puzzles aren't that great and can be a bit frustrating... like a combination lock code
being on the side of the locker the lock is actually securing... but you won't know to spin the camera there because nobody would write their combo right there. And you're never cued to do this by the game's writing or player leading.
And some object interaction puzzles don't handle well with the touch screen either.

Ultimately, if you want maybe 2-3 hours' playtime out of a decent puzzle/adventure game, this should be an easy $5 purchase.

bomblord1

Banned
Can you have a bluetooth controller connected to a phone while it's mirroring to a Chromecast?

I've been considering attempting to use Chromecast screen mirroring + a bluetooth controller to play Android games on my TV.

How is the lag on Chomrecasts screen mirroring? I know it exists but how bad is it?

kinn

Can you have a bluetooth controller connected to a phone while it's mirroring to a Chromecast?

I've been considering attempting to use Chromecast screen mirroring + a bluetooth controller to play Android games on my TV.

How is the lag on Chomrecasts screen mirroring? I know it exists but how bad is it?

Its unplayable. Too much lag.

Grabbed The Trace after having it recommended to me.

Neat murder mystery in 3 acts/scenes. If you liked The Room 1+2, you'll probably enjoy this. Some of the puzzles aren't that great and can be a bit frustrating... like a combination lock code
being on the side of the locker the lock is actually securing... but you won't know to spin the camera there because nobody would write their combo right there. And you're never cued to do this by the game's writing or player leading.
And some object interaction puzzles don't handle well with the touch screen either.

Ultimately, if you want maybe 2-3 hours' playtime out of a decent puzzle/adventure game, this should be an easy $5 purchase.

Just bought this based on your recommendation.

Looking forward to playing it.

MarkusRJR

Damn, why are so few tablets available with more than 16gb? I can't store that many games on my tablet/phone with these sort of storage options...

Benedict

Just updated and started my OUYA after the Razor news.
Is there some kind of list where I can see what games on Amazon App store and Humble Bundle works OK with the controller on OUYA?

MarkusRJR

I don't know a single name brand tablet that lacks a model larger than 16GB what are you looking at?
Maybe it's because I live in Canada, but the only 32gb Android tablet available here is the Nexus 9 and the Sony Tablet Z2, both of which are priced at iPad prices (aka out of my price range).

bomblord1

Banned
8-10" preferably.

What about the Dell Venue 8 7000?
http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-8-7840-tablet/pd

It's fairly highly reviewed, has decent specs, and the 32GB model is $399 (US). Also one of the sexier tablets on the market.
wpid-dell-venue-8-ces-hero.jpg

Another option would be the Nvidia Shield tablet
http://shield.nvidia.com/store/tablet
32gb = $399 (US)

If gaming is your focus this is the best tablet on the market of that hands down. Packs a punch and has Nvidia game streaming. (controller is seperate). Has a Micro HDMI out for connecting to your TV.
shield-store-920x540_0002s_0000_tablet-gallery_1.jpg

Are either of those available in Canada?

MarkusRJR

What about the Dell Venue 8 7000?
http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-8-7840-tablet/pd

It's fairly highly reviewed, has decent specs, and the 32GB model is $399 (US). Also one of the sexier tablets on the market.
wpid-dell-venue-8-ces-hero.jpg

Another option would be the Nvidia Shield tablet
http://shield.nvidia.com/store/tablet
32gb = $399 (US)

If gaming is your focus this is the best tablet on the market of that hands down. Packs a punch and has Nvidia game streaming. (controller is seperate). Has a Micro HDMI out for connecting to your TV.
shield-store-920x540_0002s_0000_tablet-gallery_1.jpg

Are either of those available in Canada?
The Dell tablet costs $530 in Canada and the Nvidia tablet isn't sold in Canada.

Not sure why Canada doesn't deserve decent priced 32gb tablets. That's literally the third tablet I could find over all the big stores that's 32gb (because it's only sold over Dell's website in Canada).

bomblord1

Banned
The Dell tablet costs $530 in Canada and the Nvidia tablet isn't sold in Canada.

Not sure why Canada doesn't deserve decent priced 32gb tablets. That's literally the third tablet I could find over all the big stores that's 32gb (because it's only sold over Dell's website in Canada).

Well that sucks. Could you order it from a U.S. dealer on something like Amazon and have it shipped?

John Blade

Well that sucks. Could you order it from a U.S. dealer on something like Amazon and have it shipped?

If you're in Canada, you can order the shield Tablet in select store now or it's only walk in store sale in Canada. The link are below.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?item_id=077879

http://www.staples.ca/en/nVidia-SHI...GB-HDD-LTE-Black/product_1463368_2-CA_1_20001

Because our CDN dollar isn't good, it might not worth the price to buy this from the US unless you don't mind to pay more for it.

I guess the last place to buy this item is USE product on ebay and even in the used market, they do sell them quite high because Nvidia Shield Tablet didn't sell that well and didn't sell that many.

Pac-Man championship edition DX is out and I can't stop playing it.
send help!
Just bought it the other day. I love this game on Steam and this version feels pretty good even with touch play. I went ahead and bought Forget-Me-Not as well, such a great little indie game. I also wish listed Space Invaders Infinity Gene while I was at it. I am glad to see some of these ios exclusive games finally get a release on Android devices.

Any word on Tomb Raider II coming to Android at all? I know there was a port to iOS, but it seems odd that over half a year later it hasn't popped up on Android yet.

Vorg

Banned
Any word on Tomb Raider II coming to Android at all? I know there was a port to iOS, but it seems odd that over half a year later it hasn't popped up on Android yet.

The original tomb raider was only released like 3 months ago on Android so I don't know if we should expect the sequel so soon.

Edit: Nooooo, Pac-Man ce DX has some kind of bug that erases the save file every time I get in the game. Yesterday I played it for like 2 hours straight and now all that effort's gone to shit. Only the achievements remain but the levels are all locked! Ugh... Fuck off Namco!!! /angry rant

MarkusRJR

If you're in Canada, you can order the shield Tablet in select store now or it's only walk in store sale in Canada. The link are below.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?item_id=077879

http://www.staples.ca/en/nVidia-SHI...GB-HDD-LTE-Black/product_1463368_2-CA_1_20001

Because our CDN dollar isn't good, it might not worth the price to buy this from the US unless you don't mind to pay more for it.

I guess the last place to buy this item is USE product on ebay and even in the used market, they do sell them quite high because Nvidia Shield Tablet didn't sell that well and didn't sell that many.
Ironically I read this post right after Nvidia issued a notice that the Shield Tablet is a potential fire hazard.

But yeah, I never really checked out Staples/CanadaComputers since they usually suck for computers/tablets. Are there any other low-key computer stores that are good?

John Blade

Ironically I read this post right after Nvidia issued a notice that the Shield Tablet is a potential fire hazard.

But yeah, I never really checked out Staples/CanadaComputers since they usually suck for computers/tablets. Are there any other low-key computer stores that are good?

Unfortunately, they isn't. NCIX used to sell them but not anymore. I guess ebay might be the last choice for you online or depend where you live in Canada, Kijiji.

Roto13

Pac-Man championship edition DX is out and I can't stop playing it.
send help!

I saw this in the Play Store. I've always wanted a portable version of this game. How is it, content wise? Does it have the DLC mazes and songs from the big boy version?

Wonder if I could play it with my tablet's bluetooth keyboard for physical controls.

EDIT: Ended up buying it. Touch controls work ok. It's a good port, though it doesn't have the DLC. Also score attack is 3 or 5 minutes instead of 5 or 10 minutes. Kind of ruins the music a bit since there are mixes that are timed to end at 5 and 10 minutes but not 3.

So thanks to this thread I installed Leo's Fortune (looks amazing) along with Lifeline and Badlands. Three pretty fantastic recommendations right there. Is there anything recently released that I'm missing? In terms of "must have" titles?

EDIT: I'm in to platformers and arcade games if that helps (so Pacman CE, Super Hexagon and so on).

Top Bottom