• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Pachimari

So Sega have removed Jet Set Radio, Super Monkey Ball 2 and another one I don't remember.

It's worse on iOS, were they have apparently removed up to 16 titles.

danielcw

I have lag issues with my cheap ipega controller as well.
But there are so many different ipega controllers ...

So Sega have removed Jet Set Radio, Super Monkey Ball 2 and another one I don't remember.

It's worse on iOS, were they have apparently removed up to 16 titles.

Is Chu Chu Rocket still there?

louiedog

The Talos Principle is now available for The Nvidia Shield TV, Shield Tablet, and Nexus 9.

The game is split up into chapters unlike the PC version. It's $5 for the app and IAPs are $5 to $15. So it looks like $20 total if you buy the season pass and $30 if you buy each.

The game is excellent. I own it on Steam and it took me ~10 hours to get to an ending but there's a lot of optional harder puzzles you can complete to get a different ending.

So I just found out about Skiing Yeti Mountain which seems like a really fun game, but it runs like crap on my Note 4.

The graphics are really simple, so it's strange that it's running so poorly. It's like the game is running at half speed.

Edit: apparently there's a day/night cycle setting that improves performance if you turn it off. It went from slow-mo to super fast turn off that little setting.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Devolver Digital released Always Sometimes Monsters on Android a few days ago. It's a really fantastic game. It's all about the story you make, which is constantly being crafted by your choices. This isn't a Mass Effect renegade/paragon deal, either. Things aren't black and white, and you can inadvertently send yourself down a dark path with relatively minor decisions.

Ending spoilers for my first playthrough (not a standard story spoiler, but it's something that can happen):
In the middle of my story, while I was trying to scrounge up money for rent, I found the developer's studio. I found a note in their trashcan with the combination to their safe. Desperate for cash, I robbed them. This created a universe-ending paradox, as the dev no longer had the money to finish making their game. I unmade myself.

elephantsoup

Neo Member
Devolver Digital released Always Sometimes Monsters on Android a few days ago. It's a really fantastic game. It's all about the story you make, which is constantly being crafted by your choices. This isn't a Mass Effect renegade/paragon deal, either. Things aren't black and white, and you can inadvertently send yourself down a dark path with relatively minor decisions.

Ending spoilers for my first playthrough (not a standard story spoiler, but it's something that can happen):
In the middle of my story, while I was trying to scrounge up money for rent, I found the developer's studio. I found a note in their trashcan with the combination to their safe. Desperate for cash, I robbed them. This created a universe-ending paradox, as the dev no longer had the money to finish making their game. I unmade myself.

Brilliant. Very clever indeed.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
No...I need to start looking at those.
There's one on right now, but I can't speak for the quality of the included games. I've opted to pass on it, unless the stuff that unlocks later interests me. You can also use their app to install any games you buy in their store. Cook, Serve, Delicious is available. That'll make time fly.

I can confirm that XCOM from the Google Play store works when in airplane mode. It's more expensive than your standard mobile game, but it's a complete port of Enemy Within minus a couple of the larger maps that couldn't be brought over. It'll eat through your battery pretty fast, but it's XCOM. XCOM, man.

Murdoch

There are so many 'AAA' PC release's hitting Android (specifically Nvidia TV box) at the moment. It's becoming really hard to ignore it.

As soon as they come on sale in the UK I will certainly be taking a look at one. The only sticking point for me personally, is the rather monstrous price tag for the 500gb version. For the same price you are much better off opting for a dedicated gaming console from the bigger players surely?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
this is basically the psp version ported to mobile devices with a touch screen interface right?

This is apparently a direct port of the iOS version. It's locked to 4:3.

Playing a patched ISO of the PSP version in PPSSPP is still the best way to play it, if your device is able to.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Man, Hitman Sniper just doesn't work on Android for me. It's way too slow. I can't deal with it.
I would play the shit out of this game on PC or console

sprinkles

As I enjoyed Final Fantasy 6 on my Nexus 5, I wanted more Square goodness. I made the mistake of getting The World Ends with You. Which does not work at all on Lollipop..

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Next Hearthstone mode Tavern Brawl unlocks at 10AM PT!

Hearthstone is still the best game on Android IMO. Will be interesting to see what Bethesda brings.

anddo0

Next Hearthstone mode Tavern Brawl unlocks at 10AM PT!

Hearthstone is still the best game on Android IMO. Will be interesting to see what Bethesda brings.

how expensive is it to play this game on Android?

I've only played tutorial.. I wasn't interested in this type of game until The Witcher 3 got me hooked on Gwent,

A lot of Kemco RPGs are on sale:
$0.99 each (Regular $3.99)
RPG Chrome Wolf
RPG Grace of Letoile
RPG Fortuna Magus
RPG Seven Sacred Beasts
RPG Fanatic Earth
RPG Link of Hearts
RPG Illusion of L'Phalcia
RPG Infinite Dunamis
RPG Covenant of Solitude
RPG Eclipse of Illusion
RPG Destiny Fantasia
RPG Bonds of the Skies
RPG Shelterra the Skyworld
RPG Revenant Saga
RPG Chronus Arc
RPG Asdivine Hearts

I seem to remember someone recommending Chrome Wolf in particular over on CAG, though most impressions seem to imply that their RPGs feel rather same-y and simple.

A few more non-Kemco sales:
BattleLore: Command - $3.99 (Regular $9.99)
Talisman Prologue - $0.99 (Regular $2.99)
Colin McRae Rally - $0.99 (Regular $1.99)

Anustart

Bah, can't decide on game to get. On one hand, four job Fiesta is going on, but I've played it to death. Then we got ff 2 and 3 which I've never beat, but wait, there's more! Dragon Quest 3 is on here and that's the only 1 of the original 3 I've never completed.

Then there's ff tactics...was looking to try world ends with you, but that doesn't work on lolli?

Firehead

Bah, can't decide on game to get. On one hand, four job Fiesta is going on, but I've played it to death. Then we got ff 2 and 3 which I've never beat, but wait, there's more! Dragon Quest 3 is on here and that's the only 1 of the original 3 I've never completed.

Then there's ff tactics...was looking to try world ends with you, but that doesn't work on lolli?

Just get Tactics.

Top Bottom