• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Looks like there's also another Free App bundle over on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=nav_sap_mas_15_06_19_Jun_Bundle?_encoding=UTF8&node=10076151011

List:
Knock-Knock
Monkey Racing
Trouserheart
Deep Under the Sky
The Bard's Tale
Crazy Rocket
M.A.C.E.
Airport Mania 2 Wild Trips
Exiles
Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst
Fantastic 4 In A Row 2
Table Top Racing
Endless Skater
Quell Memento
No Gravity (Kindle Tablet Edition)

Alarm Clock Pro
Mirroring360
Simply Yoga
AVG Antivirus Pro
TinyCam Monitor Pro
Weather Live
AirReceiver

Bah, can't decide on game to get. On one hand, four job Fiesta is going on, but I've played it to death. Then we got ff 2 and 3 which I've never beat, but wait, there's more! Dragon Quest 3 is on here and that's the only 1 of the original 3 I've never completed.

Then there's ff tactics...was looking to try world ends with you, but that doesn't work on lolli?
Keep in mind that if past trends hold, Square-Enix will probably hold a big Play Store sale in July, so it might be better to wait and see for a month. But if you want something now, then go for Final Fantasy Tactics or Dragon Quest VI. As SE's most recent releases, it's unlikely that they'll be included in the sale. SE's titles are already a part of the sale on iOS right now, so an Android sale is possibly not far behind. And yeah, AFAIK, TWEWY doesn't work on LP.

And it also just got an update with new levels.

Is Colin McRae Rally worth getting?

Don't know if it's any good personally, but Vanillalite posted some positiveish impressions about a year back. Sounds like it's pretty much an enhanced port of Colin Mcrae Rally 2.0 from PS1.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
RBI Baseball 15 is now out*

$5 no IAPs

Google Play

*Seems to be a soft release and incompatible with a lot of devices

On the subject of Colin McRae it's the best you're gonna get for old school rally racing. It's def a throw back vs the new school dirt bullshit. Worth it for the price IMO, but don't expect amazing visuals.

Pachimari

I really gotta check out Final Fantasy Dimensions. I'm so in love with Final Fantasy VI these days. Also have FFV, Record Keeper and Tactics installed.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I copped RBI Baseball

I can see this getting panned on consoles, but then again it's $20 on say the Boner. Meanwhile on Android it is 1/4th the cost. Game is legit as fuck as far as I'm concerned. Just don't expect MLB the Show.

omg_mjd

I have an unrooted stock Lollipop phone. Is there a way to backup my game save/state before I uninstall my game if it doesn't have a cloud save feature?

Pachimari

I wonder if I have missed any gems. Currently I have these games on my phone:

Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Record Keeper
Hearthstone
Super Hexagon
Crossy Road
Solitaire
Threes
Ridiculous Fishing
WaveWave
Canabalt
Texas Hold Em
Flappy Bird
WordFeud
Candy Crush
Hitman Go
Pako
The Room
Monument Valley
Yeti Skiing
Flick Kick Football
Sonic Runners
Ultimate Spider-Man
Marvel Future War

Is Chrono Trigger terrible on Android?

IIRC, the two biggest problems with it are that it's locked at 30 FPS and that it has a quasi-online DRM (It only downloads part of the game at first, and downloads the rest of the game in the background at certain points). Most reviews also mention some bugs, the lack of controller support, and the poor implementation of Sleep Mode.

kama

I wonder if I have missed any gems. Currently I have these games on my phone:

Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Record Keeper
Hearthstone
Super Hexagon
Crossy Road
Solitaire
Threes
Ridiculous Fishing
WaveWave
Canabalt
Texas Hold Em
Flappy Bird
WordFeud
Candy Crush
Hitman Go
Pako
The Room
Monument Valley
Yeti Skiing
Flick Kick Football
Sonic Runners
Ultimate Spider-Man
Marvel Future War

I would recommend Ys I Chronicles and the Dragon Quest games, especially DQ 4-6.

Ys has a terrible localization, other than that it's identical to the Psp version.

The mobile versions of DraQue 4-6 I'd consider the definitive versions.

kama

I will eventually get the Dragon Quest games. Are IV-VI the trilogy that is talked about?

I have Ys on PC. :)

Yes, it's the second trilogy. They are basically polished DS versions with cleaner graphics and nicer music. If you haven't played them yet these are the versions to get, especially considering the current price of the DS carts.

The first trilogy isn't too bad on mobile either, but 1 & 2 have some issues with scaling the 2d graphics properly. I don't know if that was fixed for DQ 3.

And you can never have too much Ys 1 ;)

ElTopo

Banned
Yay, an Android gaming thread. I just upgraded to the Zenfone 2. Nice little phone. I don't really have any complaints about it. Re-installed Canabalt and Sonic 2 (nice to have a phone that actually runs it now). I just bought Predators and AVP Evolution and loving both of them, very good little games that they are.

Any other recommendations? I don't really enjoy puzzle games. I don't have a controller add-on and I'm not really going to be gaming too hard or too often on the device so it's hard to justify the purchase.

Heard Cave ported a bunch of Shmups but the quality of the ports have been questionable.

Santiako

Yay, an Android gaming thread. I just upgraded to the Zenfone 2. Nice little phone. I don't really have any complaints about it. Re-installed Canabalt and Sonic 2 (nice to have a phone that actually runs it now). I just bought Predators and AVP Evolution and loving both of them, very good little games that they are.

Any other recommendations? I don't really enjoy puzzle games. I don't have a controller add-on and I'm not really going to be gaming too hard or too often on the device so it's hard to justify the purchase.

Heard Cave ported a bunch of Shmups but the quality of the ports have been questionable.

Can't go wrong with Hearthstone.

omg_mjd

Heard good things about the zenphone 2. Great price to performance ratio. I'm into smaller devices now though (used a 6 inch phone for over a year...wasn't fun).

As for games make sure to check out Wayward Souls. Enjoyable action RPG that controls well with touch. It's a rogue like so you can dive into a dungeon, die and then upgrade your character for your next play through. It's good for both long and short sessions.

If it's a quick pure mobile game you're after then Super Hexagon is a great distraction when standing in line or whatnot.

ElTopo

Banned
How is GTA: Chinatown Wars? Never played that one back in the day. And I prefer the oldschool top-down GTA's over the 3D games.

Edit: how is DoDonPachi Resurrection too?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
How is GTA: Chinatown Wars? Never played that one back in the day. And I prefer the oldschool top-down GTA's over the 3D games.

Chinatown Wars is great. Easily the best 2D GTA, although I can't speak for the touch controls. I used a bluetooth controller to play it.

ElTopo

Banned
Downloaded Alien Breed (which was very good, one of the best games I've paid $1 for, same with Predators) and Geometry Wars 3 (which I've yet to play).

Tried a bit of AVP Evolution and the frame rate wasn't great on Medium settings but it's pretty fun for what it is. I love just how it's blatantly inspired by Monolith's AVP2.

danielcw

What is the current situation on good controllers for android (non-rooted), or even a dedicated android device with built in buttons

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
What is the current situation on good controllers for android (non-rooted), or even a dedicated android device with built in buttons

I use this and really like it, but other users here have reported input delay. Can't say that's been my experience, as I definitely would've noticed in when playing Gitaroo Man Lives. Not saying other users are wrong, just that it might be a case of YMMV. I also use it when streaming PC games through Moonlight, and it's recognized as a 360 controller. No special steps required to do so, I just connected it to my phone and it worked. I've also yet to find a game that doesn't support it, excluding things that are made solely for touchscreens.

The build quality definitely won't blow you away, but it's better than what I expected given the price. Sticks feel okay but a bit loose, dpad is fine, buttons and triggers are nice. It comes with media controls, which is nice. Holds my S5 securely, but it's very easy to remove. My girlfriend has a fairly bulky case on her S5 and it still manages to hold it, although not as well as it does without.

I just played some Geometry Wars 3 with it. Felt great.

I'm really liking Sonic Runners. It's got a great art style and the gameplay is probably one of the best of the 'endless runner' genre I've seen. I just hope it doesn't get grindy after a while. I'm only on level 9. I also wish there was variety in the environment/music. The same stuff gets repetitive after a while.

ElTopo

Banned
Got R-Type 2. It controls really well for touch-screen. Only issue is that DotEmu seems to have greatly enhanced the speed of the ship when using touch-screen, which means if you pick up the speed boosts you actually move a little quickly.

Anything else I should check out?

Downloaded Alien Breed (which was very good, one of the best games I've paid $1 for, same with Predators) and Geometry Wars 3 (which I've yet to play).

Tried a bit of AVP Evolution and the frame rate wasn't great on Medium settings but it's pretty fun for what it is. I love just how it's blatantly inspired by Monolith's AVP2.

Cool man. Thanks for the recommendation (regarding Alien Breed). I just downloaded it and am looking forward to trying it out. This thread is great. Keep the recommendations coming!

taybul

Not sure how old this game is but I picked up Geometry Dash last night and fell in love with it immediately. Ended up playing mostly the first level for almost an hour (gotta get those coins). Gave me such a Super Meat Boy vibe.

ElTopo

Banned
I use this and really like it, but other users here have reported input delay. Can't say that's been my experience, as I definitely would've noticed in when playing Gitaroo Man Lives. Not saying other users are wrong, just that it might be a case of YMMV. I also use it when streaming PC games through Moonlight, and it's recognized as a 360 controller. No special steps required to do so, I just connected it to my phone and it worked. I've also yet to find a game that doesn't support it, excluding things that are made solely for touchscreens.

I just bought this. Looking forward to trying it out.

KiTA

Welp. Have a 8 hour bus trip followed by a 4 hour car trip followed by a 12 hour car trip.

I got most of the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest ports -- anything else I'm missing? Are any of the Kemco games worth picking up?

What about a good SRPG / TPRG? I know there's FFT, any others worth picking up?

kama

The Agarest games are available on Android, although you might want to check some reviews first. I 've had them on my wishlist for quite some time but never pulled the trigger. They are quite pricey.

Then there's always Xcom and Skulls of the Shogun to consider.

ElTopo

Banned
Welp. Have a 8 hour bus trip followed by a 4 hour car trip followed by a 12 hour car trip.

I got most of the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest ports -- anything else I'm missing? Are any of the Kemco games worth picking up?

R-Type 1 and 2 and Limbo.

KiTA

The Agarest games are available on Android, although you might want to check some reviews first. I 've had them on my wishlist for quite some time but never pulled the trigger. They are quite pricey.

Then there's always Xcom and Skulls of the Shogun to consider.

Well, 2 of the Agarest games are, anyway. $12, that is a bit much but then again that's a full SRPG. Hm.

Kemco has Legend Of Ixtona, was that good?

Edit: Oh, and Rime Berta is out on Android too. Hm!

yasu151

Well, 2 of the Agarest games are, anyway. $12, that is a bit much but then again that's a full SRPG. Hm.

Kemco has Legend Of Ixtona, was that good?

Edit: Oh, and Rime Berta is out on Android too. Hm!

Legend of Ixtona is on sale too! $3.99 instead of the normal $8.99. I'm still goin' through another round of FFT though, which is scratching the SRPG itch I had.

kama

Are there Games similar to Fire Emblem in the Play Store?

See above: Final Fantasy Tactics, Agarest & Agarest Zero. You might also want to take a look at Spectral Souls, Blazing Souls and Generation of Chaos.

Most of these are ports of quite lengthy Pc/PSP titles and therefore not exactly cheap, but the general feedback on them seems to be positive so the prices are probably justified.

Nightbird

See above: Final Fantasy Tactics, Agarest & Agarest Zero. You might also want to take a look at Spectral Souls, Blazing Souls and Generation of Chaos.

Most of these are ports of quite lengthy Pc/PSP titles and therefore not exactly cheap, but the general feedback on them seems to be positive so the prices are probably justified.

Thanks a lot!

Top Bottom