• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Cronee

I'm kind of surprised no one has posted this yet. There's this Pokemon clone on the market now called EvoCreo and it's surprisingly pretty well done. I haven't played very much of it yet, less than an hour, but so far I've enjoyed it. People have reported some small bugs here and there but the developer seems to be actively tackling any issues that have come up.

It does have IAPs for a virtual currency, which can be traded for a randomly chosen Creo, a Creo with alternate skins, alternate avatars, and an item that allows you to avoid all random encounters.

Here's the link if anyone is interested.

Edit: I was mistaken on the type of IAPs and have corrected the post.

SNK's titles just went on sale, $0.99 each. IIRC, a good chunk of the older releases were never updated to work on LolliPop. I'm pretty sure that Fatal Fury Special and Garou work on LP, I think SamSho2 might have been updated to work on LP, and KOF97 was updated last week, so it might work too.

Fatal Fury Special - $0.99 (Regular: $3.99; 75% off)
Garou: Mark of the Wolves - $0.99 (Regular: $3.99; 75% off)
Samurai Shodown 2 - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
Metal Slug - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
Metal Slug 2 - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
Metal Slug X - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
Metal Slug 3 - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
The King of Fighters '97 - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
The King of Fighters '98 - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
The King of Fighters-A 2012 - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)
Beast Busters: Featuring KOF DX - $0.99 (Regular: $2.99; 67% off)

And as for a non-SNK sale, it looks like Goat Simulator is $0.99 (Regular $4.99) on both Google Play and Amazon Appstore.

Hasney

Nice one. Where to start with the Metal Slugs?

X is the best for me, but they're all an absolute blast. If you only get a couple, I'd probably go:

X > 1 > 3 > 2

I love 2, only reason I'd put it at the bottom is that X is basically 2 but modified for the better.

Vorg

Banned
Damn, why do they not have Neo Turf Master or Super Sidekicks on there... Or Baseball Stars.

Man if they release super sidekicks 3 I'll insta-buy without thinking. I had it on the neogeo cd and it was amazing fun, even with the neogeo cd's shit load times. And I don't even like sports games.

Huh, it looks like the versions in the bundle are slightly newer than what's up on the Play Store right now (e.g. Blazing Star is version 1.5 in the bundle, 1.4 on the Play Store). I first noticed this when I was able to run Metal Slug X and Blazing Star on my LolliPop device with no problems, two games that were previously reported to not work on LP. I haven't tried everything yet, but it looks like the Bundle has the updated versions with LP support, though I'm guessing SNK will upload them to the Play Store within a few days.

Does any of these games have controller support?

The fighting games definitely have Bluetooth controller support, but it looks like the Metal Slug games and Blazing Star seem to be touch-only, unless there's some auto-detect I'm not seeing, since I don't have my MOGA hooked up right now.

Anyone else having problems with Metal Slug 2? I can get to the character select screen but pressing Start does nothing. I've tried it on two devices so far with no luck (2013 Nexus 7 and 1st Gen Moto G).

This doesn't work on my Moto G 1st gen Lollipop. Just crash. I have to proceed a refund for it. Sad right now. Do anyone know if I buy the bundle pack, will the game work on lollipop.

I can confirm that the bundle version works on my LP device. Like I said, it seems to be a newer version than what's up on the Play Store (v1.5 vs. 1.4).

Anyone else having problems with Metal Slug 2? I can get to the character select screen but pressing Start does nothing. I've tried it on two devices so far with no luck (2013 Nexus 7 and 1st Gen Moto G).

If it's like X, you just need to tap your chosen character's portrait again to proceed.

Bought the bundle because it as cheap but man these games don't work well with touch. The second boss of metal slug x requires you to shoot downwards while moving which is nigh impossible to do with touch with our dying constantly. Looks great once you turn the horrible filtering off but the onscreen buttons take up way too much space, even on my Note Edge

Edit: prompts can be customized, but making the icon smaller also decreases the range of your movement

Yasawas

Huh, it looks like the versions in the bundle are slightly newer than what's up on the Play Store right now (e.g. Blazing Star is version 1.5 in the bundle, 1.4 on the Play Store). I first noticed this when I was able to run Metal Slug X and Blazing Star on my LolliPop device with no problems, two games that were previously reported to not work on LP.

Nice! I was all set to buy a Metal Slug a couple of days ago until I noticed that and I was skipping this bundle too but I'm in now. And I'm a sucker for a "free" shirt promo...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Oh so SNK finally updated all of their shit to work on ART?

I initially laughed at the bundle cause none of SNK's shit had been updated to work with L.

Vorg

Banned
The base Telltale apps usually only include Episode 1. The rest of the episodes are IAPs, individually and as a bundle.

First episode is usually free though. Not sure why they decided against it this time. It's what made me buy the walking dead and the wolf among us. I'm not buying it blindly.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Oh so SNK finally updated all of their shit to work on ART?

I initially laughed at the bundle cause none of SNK's shit had been updated to work with L.
Garou and Metal Slug X work on my HTC One M8 but KOF 98 still crashes.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
First episode is usually free though. Not sure why they decided against it this time. It's what made me buy the walking dead and the wolf among us. I'm not buying it blindly.
The always launch as a paid episode, usually for $4.99. Then they make them free after a few months.

Not sure why it's 69 cents instead of free this time. I'm pretty burnt out on TT games, though. Think I'll be passing.

Vorg

Banned
Activision just released an update for geometry wars 3 with 40 new levels and a retro evolved mode that is basically geometry wars 1 (no geoms and you lose multiplier when you die). For free. Holy crap!

Activision just released an update for geometry wars 3 with 40 new levels and a retro evolved mode that is basically geometry wars 1 (no geoms and you lose multiplier when you die). For free. Holy crap!
How is this game using touchscreen controls? I've been interested if it's any good this way. I may be buying a game pad soon anyways.

Phionoxx

Saw that The World Ends With You is on Android. Anyone own in on a Nexus 6 with 5.1.1? Reviews are mixed on if it works with the latest Android version or not.

Saw that The World Ends With You is on Android. Anyone own in on a Nexus 6 with 5.1.1? Reviews are mixed on if it works with the latest Android version or not.

They updated it a few weeks ago to work on LP (not sure about 5.1.1 though). But like I've been saying, it's best to wait a few days, since Square-Enix usually does a big sale around every six months (They had a sale in late July last year).

EDIT: On an unrelated note, some sales just popped up:
Fotonica - $0.89 (Regular $2.99)
Botanicula - $0.95 (Regular $4.99)

bomblord1

Banned

I own a Nexus 6 on 5.1.1 but I don't own TWEWY on it. I've been considering getting a game on my phone though I'm interested in both this and Final Fantasy Tactics.

My only concern is Square's android ports have been known to have problems in the past.

Top Bottom