• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Humble Games Workshop Mobile Bundle (Android-Only, Tons of Warhammer)
https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

PWYW tier ($1 min.)
Warhammer Quest
Warhammer 40,000: Carnage
WH40k: Storm of Vengeance
Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf
The Horus Heresy: Drop Assault - Warmaster's Edition
Warhammer: The App

BTA tier
Talisman Prologue
Chainsaw Warrior: LotN
Warhammer: Snotling Fling
+More next week

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Tempted by this, any opinions?

I tried everything but Space Wolf and Talisman Prologue. Can't say I'm fond of most of them. Everything felt like an inferior version of other games on the platform, but with a coat of 40k paint. I guess that would be great if you're really into Warhammer, but it's not enough for me to get much out of them.

Tarps

I tried everything but Space Wolf and Talisman Prologue. Can't say I'm fond of most of them. Everything felt like an inferior version of other games on the platform, but with a coat of 40k paint. I guess that would be great if you're really into Warhammer, but it's not enough for me to get much out of them.

Thats pretty much what I'd feared, I have enough in my backlog to keep me busy. Thank you for sharing!

I'm on the fence about Baldur's Gate. I have a Note 4 and I am wondering how it plays and if I can use my SPen to control and play the game?

John Blade

Might be the wrong forum and did try to check it on gaf but is they a list of emulator for android that play console or handheld game. Free and paid as I am interested in trying them out on my shield tablet.

Vorg

Banned
Might be the wrong forum and did try to check it on gaf but is they a list of emulator for android that play console or handheld game. Free and paid as I am interested in trying them out on my shield tablet.

Not an official list or anything, but what I'd personally recommend:

Drastic - Nintendo ds - This will run everything full speed, unlike other free emulators on the play store.
Epsxe - Playstation - The best psx emulator in my opinion. Pcsx rearmed on retroarch is better but the ui on retroarch is a nightmare. Fpse is also decent, but epsxe is just better in both compatibility and ease of use.
Myboy - Gameboy Advance - great compatibility and performance and it supports shaders.
Snes9xEX - Super Nintendo - This one is free, has great performance and compatibility. The author, Robert Broglia has a bunch of other emulators you could checkout as well.
UoYabause - Sega Saturn - This is also free and it's new, so it has a lot of bugs. The author seems to be constantly improving it, though. Not exactly ready for primetime yet, so keep that in mind.
Reicast - Sega Dreamcast - This is a free port of null DC to Android, so compatibility is hit and miss. The devs are constantly working on improving it though.

Fbh

So I recently got a Galaxy S6 and decided to download some graphically demanding F2P games to see how the device holds up.

Is Asphalt 8 supposed to run badly? It really feels like sub 30fps during races, I even downloaded some FPS counter app which says the median is 26fps which I find really dissapointing for what is supposed to be one of the "high end" phones.

soultron

Banned
So I recently got a Galaxy S6 and decided to download some graphically demanding F2P games to see how the device holds up.

Is Asphalt 8 supposed to run badly? It really feels like sub 30fps during races, I even downloaded some FPS counter app which says the median is 26fps which I find really dissapointing for what is supposed to be one of the "high end" phones.

Could be lots of things. Might be capped at 30 and poorly optimized beyond that. Android developers do have a hell of a job in supporting so many phones, so I can forgive stuff like this.

You could try reviewing the game and mentioning that. They might respond to your review. Or, do one better and email them directly asking about this.

0ljpsfRSAUlOL2mwJULpPj5x4ZCgF-_l8C0kNsRgOSKd0OeFxCrBbavG8OCJoczxfJ4=h900

Just wanted to give a shout-out and glowing recommendation to everyone for Leo's Fortune. Played this last night and it's fucking amazing. It controls like a dream (seriously best touch screen controls ever) and is a joy to play. Beautiful and beyond enjoyable. Best game I've had on my phone so far. Give it a shot. It's wonderful.

kennah

What's the cheapest tablet that I can get that would be more powerful than a Galaxy s4?

Size doesn't particularly matter. Nor brand. Thinking of switching my phone back to iPhone but would like to keep access to my games.

Hasney

What's the cheapest tablet that I can get that would be more powerful than a Galaxy s4?

Size doesn't particularly matter. Nor brand. Thinking of switching my phone back to iPhone but would like to keep access to my games.

It's not been a good time for Android tablets. The Sony Z3 Tablet/Compact tablet is great, but it can be a bit pricey.

kennah

It's not been a good time for Android tablets. The Sony Z3 Tablet/Compact tablet is great, but it can be a bit pricey.
Holy Shit. $600 in Canada.

That's unfortunate about the tablets. I was hoping something in the $200 range would do.

John Blade

If you're into gaming on Android and don't mind any big brand name, maybe look into Xiaomi MiPad. It's basically look like a Ipad mini but have a gpu that is used for Nvidia Shield Tablet. Here is the link of one site that sell it. For price, it will be over $300 dollars CDN.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/XIAO...D_Product_Link&utm_campaign=EMSPD_Feed_335645

The original Chainsaw Warrior added to the Humble GW Mobile Bundle's BTA.

Humble Games Workshop Mobile Bundle (Android-Only, Tons of Warhammer)
https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

PWYW tier ($1 min.)
Warhammer Quest
Warhammer 40,000: Carnage
WH40k: Storm of Vengeance
Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf
The Horus Heresy: Drop Assault - Warmaster's Edition
Warhammer: The App

BTA tier
Talisman Prologue
Chainsaw Warrior: Lords of the Night
Warhammer: Snotling Fling
Chainsaw Warrior

GaussTek

Final Fantasy III, IV, V and VI are currently 50% off until August 13th.

I really want VI, but... does anyone know if they've been lower than that before? Thanks!

Final Fantasy III, IV, V and VI are currently 50% off until August 13th.

I really want VI, but... does anyone know if they've been lower than that before? Thanks!

50% was the biggest discount in all of their previous sales; seems like Square-Enix is hesitant to go lower that in most cases. (The only one that comes to mind is DQ1 for $0.99 from $2.99, a 66% discount)

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Not sure if it is a sale or permanent price reduction, but Broken Age is down to $6.99 from $9.99.

The Cave is down to $2.99. I'm uncertain of the original price for this one.

I'm unable to confirm prices in other regions at this time.

amrod

iOS is having a sale on games, what are the chances the same games will get discounts on android? Looking at attack the light, geo wars 3, xenowork

soultron

Banned
card crawl is out!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tinytouchtales.cardcrawl&hl=en

been interested ever since i saw it on pockettactics, it's on ios for a few months already if i'm not mistaken

if you understand japanese/chinese i highly recommend deckdefantasy
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Nussygame.DeckDeFantasy&hl=en
basically it's a deckbuilder/rpg/roguelike
Been playing Card Crawl nonstop since I got it. Very well done. The only IAP that I know of is ~$4 CAD to unlock quests and a few other goodies (basically a fancy way of unlocking the full game) and I happily paid for it. Don't regret it at all.

Really solid game.

zulux21

so this is a gaming thread, but I figure you guys will know as well.

What is the best budget t-mobile smart phone right now (looking at $100-$200)

the two I am currently looking at are Motorola Moto G (3rd generation) - Global GSM - Unlocked - 8 GB Black

and ASUS ZenFone 2 Cellphone, 16GB, Silver (Unlocked )

stuff like 3/4g don't matter at all as I won't use them (I think my wife's plan gets her unlimited 2g though :p) I also don't need a lot of storage as she will likely only have 3-5 games on the phone (terra battle, Dragon Blaze and attack the light currently). the main thing that is important that it works as a phone. she is currently using a T-Mobile Sparq Prepaid Phone as her phone and it likes to go into emergency mode from time to time as well as not always get calls or texts even when it says she has full signal so I am hoping that upgrading her phone will help with that. Aiming for a decent phone to maybe try to make one of my tablets more redundant.

if you guys don't know in here at least you might know of a thread to ask around in as I couldn't find a mobile gaf thread :p

edit: I see there is an adroid thread though so I guess I will ask there too.

edit 2: I went with the moto.

Top Bottom