• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Gaming Thread: News & Recommendations

Hastati

card crawl is out!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tinytouchtales.cardcrawl&hl=en

been interested ever since i saw it on pockettactics, it's on ios for a few months already if i'm not mistaken

if you understand japanese/chinese i highly recommend deckdefantasy
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Nussygame.DeckDeFantasy&hl=en
basically it's a deckbuilder/rpg/roguelike

Started playing it because of your post and I want to second this sentiment.

DeckDeFantasy has an awesome turn based attack system with a surprising amount of depth so far, it doesn't appear to be p2w and you can use the gatcha by completing dailies (or I have been able to so far, unless this dries up?).
It furthermore does NOT have stamina, which is awesome, you just keep going till you die and then start over again (your characters don't reset but your dungeon progress does, and I don't think you can pay to continue).

Complete with large cast of collectible, equippable, upgradeable characters (with gradually unlocking backstories like in Terra Battle), a large library of cards and creative/strategic ways to use them, RNG that isn't entirely based on luck, and some form of story.

I'd say you can enjoy it even if you don't understand any Japanese/Chinese, because the basic names of the attacks and their functions are all in english (the descriptions are of course untranslated).

The visuals aren't the greatest, but this seems to be have been made by a really small development team and a lot of effort was put into it regardless. Give it a shot if you are bored and looking for a decent card-battle rpg to pass the time.

Qvoth

Started playing it because of your post and I want to second this sentiment.

DeckDeFantasy has an awesome turn based attack system with a surprising amount of depth so far, it doesn't appear to be p2w and you can use the gatcha by completing dailies (or I have been able to so far, unless this dries up?).
It furthermore does NOT have stamina, which is awesome, you just keep going till you die and then start over again (your characters don't reset but your dungeon progress does, and I don't think you can pay to continue).

Complete with large cast of collectible, equippable, upgradeable characters (with gradually unlocking backstories like in Terra Battle), a large library of cards and creative/strategic ways to use them, RNG that isn't entirely based on luck, and some form of story.

I'd say you can enjoy it even if you don't understand any Japanese/Chinese, because the basic names of the attacks and their functions are all in english (the descriptions are of course untranslated).

The visuals aren't the greatest, but this seems to be have been made by a really small development team and a lot of effort was put into it regardless. Give it a shot if you are bored and looking for a decent card-battle rpg to pass the time.

good to hear that you're enjoying it :3
to those that are interested, it's a bit similar to cardstone, but it's turn based
reminder that you can get 1 character per day for free by using the daily gacha thing, 10% chance for 3 stars character (which is currently the highest)
from the main menu before you go out exploring, the icon looks like someone with a chat bubble, it's on the right hand side, 2nd from the bottom, after that you should be in the submenu where the background is a lady, choose the flower icon for the daily gacha

Here's one for the kids, or for those who played these games long ago:
Humble Humongous Entertainment Mobile Bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

PWYW Tier ($1 min.)
Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo
Spy Fox in Dry Cereal
Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse
Pajama Sam: No Need to Hide When it's Dark Outside

BTA Tier
Putt-Putt Joins the Circus
Pajama Sam 2: Thunder and Lightning Aren't So Frightening
Freddi Fish 3: The Case of the Stolen Conch Shell
Putt-Putt Enters the Race
+ More Next Week

$10.99 Tier
Steam keys for all of the above games
+ 75% off coupon for any Humongous Entertainment titles in the Humble Store

inky

So I guess Amazon has replaced their Free App of the day with a new app called Amazon Underground (it's just their "store app" actually) that collects what they call "actually free" games. App developers now get paid for the time one spends in the app in exchange of getting rid of in-app unlocks and stuff like that. As I understand, those apps might still have in-app purchases, but not content limiting stuff.

Anyways, here's the LINK

awp69

So I guess Amazon has replaced their Free App of the day with a new app called Amazon Underground (it's just their "store app" actually) that collects what they call "actually free" games. App developers now get paid for the time one spends in the app in exchange of getting rid of in-app unlocks and stuff like that. As I understand, those apps might still have in-app purchases, but not content limiting stuff.

Anyways, here's the LINK

Just came to post about this. Amazing numerous of games in there including Space Marshalls, Badland, Duck Tales Remastered, Shadowblade, etc.

Interesting how they are paying the devs.

The Cowboy

Just got the underground app installed, good lord is the free games section good - there are so many legit great games for free

Recently made the switch to Android and got a 32gb SD card, now its time to fill it up :D.

The Cowboy

Underground won't let me download Castle of illusion, it states my phone isn't compatible - yet it is fully compatible as i got it via the store last week and refunded it shortly afterwards as i wasn't to into the controls for the price.

Seeing as its free now that's a price i can get on board with, but alas the underground app thinks my phone isn't good enough for it..

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Just came to post about this. Amazing numerous of games in there including Space Marshalls, Badland, Duck Tales Remastered, Shadowblade, etc.

Interesting how they are paying the devs.

Yeah, this is crazy. Going to try out Space Marshalls, then buy it on Google Play if I like it enough.

Makes me feel like my $110 Google Play balance is going to sit there forever. I have so much to play already.

jokkir

Dragon Quest V is on sale:
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride - $9.99 (Regular: $14.99)

DQV may be the best in the series, and while I haven't played the Android port of it, if the port of DQIV is anything to go by, it should be a fine version of the game. (Portrait-only though, like all of the other DQs on mobile)

DS version or mobile? I think I can get my hands on a DS copy but if this version is good, I might just get this instead.

Shame there's no cloud saving though :\

Hoping for a sale DQIII

DS version or mobile? I think I can get my hands on a DS copy but if this version is good, I might just get this instead.

Shame there's no cloud saving though :\

Hoping for a sale DQIII

Looks like the DS version usually sells for around $30-$40, but if you can get a legit copy for less than that, feel free to go for it. From what I've read, the iOS/Android version of DQV is pretty much a straight port of the DS version, with cleaned-up graphics and touch controls. The standard caveats apply: like the other DQs, it's portrait mode-only, so it's more suited to phones, and it's Square-Enix, so if an Android system update breaks it, they'll probably wait a long time before patching it. Still, the price is quite enticing: $10 vs. $30.

Much of my experience is with the Android version of DQIV, which has the same basic engine and UI. It's a good version of the game, perhaps better than the DS version, as it restores the Party Chat functionality that was absent from the western DS release of DQIV, and adds Cloud Saves (via Google Drive). I haven't had any problems with the controls, and it runs fine on my LG L90 phone.

Minsc

Gold Member
Wow that 30 second trailer doesn't do much for me. Will wait for impressions... and possibly a sale.

Looks like people are loving it in the iOS thread and the |OT|, not a single negative impression, people seem to agree it's a decent step up from Hitman GO.

It is only $5, so I'm not expecting the world, but good to know they improved upon their past game in this one.

After a few minutes it's a highly stylized puzzle game. I can see why Kojima likes it.

Mainly it plays around with visual narrative, story boarding style presentation, and modern day noir aesthetic.

Finished Framed I think?

I have no idea what's worth $1 in mobile space. All I can say is that I enjoyed my time with it.

It has some flaws, the early parts are not as good as the later ones. Sometimes the audio gets a bit repetitive.

Overall though it's not a bad little puzzle game, plays with your expectations a bit, a bit of trial and error. Personally I am satisfied with seeing what Kojima's game of the year is, it's exactly what I should have expected.

KumaJG

Finished Framed I think?

I have no idea what's worth $1 in mobile space. All I can say is that I enjoyed my time with it.

It has some flaws, the early parts are not as good as the later ones. Sometimes the audio gets a bit repetitive.

Overall though it's not a bad little puzzle game, plays with your expectations a bit, a bit of trial and error. Personally I am satisfied with seeing what Kojima's game of the year is, it's exactly what I should have expected.

Hell if you enjoyed your experience with it, the game should be worth a dollar.

linsivvi

Looks like people are loving it in the iOS thread and the |OT|, not a single negative impression, people seem to agree it's a decent step up from Hitman GO.

It is only $5, so I'm not expecting the world, but good to know they improved upon their past game in this one.

Finally got the last achievement of stacking 3 pillars together. Game a bit short but worth every penny of it.

3 games added to the BTA tier

Here's one for the kids, or for those who played these games long ago:
Humble Humongous Entertainment Mobile Bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

PWYW Tier ($1 min.)
Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo
Spy Fox in Dry Cereal
Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse
Pajama Sam: No Need to Hide When it's Dark Outside

BTA Tier
Putt-Putt Joins the Circus
Pajama Sam 2: Thunder and Lightning Aren't So Frightening
Freddi Fish 3: The Case of the Stolen Conch Shell
Putt-Putt Enters the Race
Putt-Putt Travels Through Time
Freddi Fish: Maze Madness
Freddi Fish: The Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds

$10.99 Tier
Steam keys for all of the above games
+ 75% off coupon for any Humongous Entertainment titles in the Humble Store

Daigoro

Some sales:
Out There: Ω Edition - $1.99 (Regular $4.99)
QuestLord - $0.99 (Regular $1.99)
Doodle Devil HD - $0.99 (Regular $1.99)
Knights of Pen and Paper +1 - $1.99 (Regular $2.99)
Knights of Pen and Paper 2 - $2.99 (Regular $4.99)
Lightbot: Programming Puzzles - $0.99 (Regular $2.99)
Battlestation: Harbinger - $1.99 (Regular $3.99)
Rebuild - $0.99 (Regular $2.99)

Also worth noting that Dragon Quest V is still on sale for $9.99, probably for only a little bit longer.

been meaning to try Out There. i was waiting for the Omega version to go on sale. thanks.

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to mobile/android gaming so I'm not really sure what's out there, and was hoping GAF could help me out. I currently play quite a bit of Marvel Puzzle Quest at work to kill down time. Its perfect because there is no time limit/if I get a call I can just put it down and come back to it. However, its gotten to the point where I need to start paying to seemingly get anywhere (it took months for it to get to this point so I'm not complaining). Any games that are good for that kind of situation? Nothing like Hearthstone where there's a time limit on turns etc. Before I played puzzle quest my go to game was crossy road, but that didn't hold my attention very long.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Hey guys, I'm kinda new to mobile/android gaming so I'm not really sure what's out there, and was hoping GAF could help me out. I currently play quite a bit of Marvel Puzzle Quest at work to kill down time. Its perfect because there is no time limit/if I get a call I can just put it down and come back to it. However, its gotten to the point where I need to start paying to seemingly get anywhere (it took months for it to get to this point so I'm not complaining). Any games that are good for that kind of situation? Nothing like Hearthstone where there's a time limit on turns etc. Before I played puzzle quest my go to game was crossy road, but that didn't hold my attention very long.

I'm all about recommending XCOM to anyone looking for an Android game. So get that.

If you want a more "mobile" type game, my current go-to, turn-based game is Heavenstrike Rivals. I've put in quite a few hours and still haven't hit the paywall.

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to mobile/android gaming so I'm not really sure what's out there, and was hoping GAF could help me out.

If you're into tower defense games you can't go wrong with the Kingdom Rush trilogy (Kingdom Rush, KR: Frontiers, KR: Origins), they're pretty much the best there is. Plants vs. Zombies 1 is also fantastic and PvZ 2 is even pretty good now even without spending any money on it (it has gotten a TON of content updates), but it does get extremely hard compared to the first game, so you'll probably need to use a guide like me or use the in-game powerups unless you're really good at it.

The Rayman games (Rayman Jungle Run, Rayman Fiesta Run) are both great auto-runner platformers that actually feel very close to the full console games (Origins and Legends) with nice bite size levels.

SimonChris

Neo Member
PataNoir3.png

Hello Gaffers!

My interactive fiction game PataNoir is now available for Android. PataNoir is a surreal noir game, in which you manipulate hard-boiled metaphors to solve problems.

Read more at http://www.sichris.com/Games/PataNoir

Promotional music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc1iKpSO-gY

Let me know if you have any questions about the game :).

Top Bottom