• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
well, i was looking into it on the website and it did it automatically. maybe i can keep the plan if i go to the store or something.

is that what you did?
For Verizon I went through amazon wireless. From Verizon's webpage I would have to get a new plan, through Amazon I didn't.

Agentnibs

Even More Plus™ 500 Talk + Unlimited Text + Unlimited Web
500 whenever minutes®
Unlimited weeknight minutes
Unlimited weekend minutes

This is my T-Mobile plan right now for my Nexus One. I want to upgrade to the Samsung GSII but i'd have to get a new plan and it sucks and more expensive.

I think i'd have to buy another unlocked phone to keep using this plan. :(

That plan isn't eligible for upgrades so no matter what you would have to buy a phone retail price. Before you could probably put it on your bill but you can't anymore. That plan is old but their newer value plans really arn't that bad. Only difference is that you'd have to be on a contract. And of course you'd have a slightly higher bill(65/month for what you have already,it'll go down after 20 months) But at least you pay subsidized up front.

BrettWeir

Any advice as how to go about getting an early upgrade with Verizon? Mine is 3/20/2012, but my God ... I want to get rid of my two Incredible's so bad. Tired of getting 1X signal 90% of the time. Wanting to get the Nexus for both wife and I.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I'm using the non pre-CM9 version. Think they call it ICSSGS Beta 1. Seems much smoother than the pre-CM9 version.

I think it's something to do with incorrect keys on my current version, despite having uninstalled whatever music .apk was originally installed.

When I try to install Google Music from the market I get "the package was not signed correctly".

Toki767

I think it's something to do with incorrect keys on my current version, despite having uninstalled whatever music .apk was originally installed.

When I try to install Google Music from the market I get "the package was not signed correctly".

The pre-CM9 version came with a Google Apps zip didn't it? Is the Music app not included in that one?

jayb

well, i was looking into it on the website and it did it automatically. maybe i can keep the plan if i go to the store or something.

is that what you did?

i did it over the phone with a customer retention rep. also my grandfathered plan was before the even more plans.

Toki767

Beta 2 is out now btw. The quick progress on ICS is a good sign, but I'll wait a bit for it to stabilize before jumping in.

I saw that, though I don't think it's more for the I9000 models than for the Captivate. Beta 1 has been very stable for me so far. No reboots or crashes. Only thing that force closes is an app that probably hasn't been updated for Honeycomb/ICS.

iavi

I'm reading on XDA that the Evo4G can't get a hardware accelerated build of ICS until Qualcomm gets their shit together and does something... I don't understand what, exactly, but something. Feels bad.

The current alpha build moves way to slow to even remotely be considered a daily driver.

I'm reading on XDA that the Evo4G can't get a hardware accelerated build of ICS until Qualcomm gets their shit together and does something... I don't understand what, exactly, but something. Feels bad.

The current alpha build moves way to slow to even remotely be considered a daily driver.

Same thing with the Optimus 2X and G2X, Nvidia won't release source.

Lesiroth

Seems interesting, link?

jayb

I actually hit menu to see if anything was different, as soon as I did I felt like an idiot.

i do that all the time, even on on normal websites, before I'm reminded I'm just in the browser. lulz android has us trained to hit the menu button.

see also: long press.

Toki767

One thing I really love about 4.0, at least I think it's a 4.0 feature. When someone with an unknown number calls you it tells you the state the number is from. Hopefully they make it so that it will tell you the city as well but it's definitely a cool thing.

tino

Banned
One thing I really love about 4.0, at least I think it's a 4.0 feature. When someone with an unknown number calls you it tells you the state the number is from. Hopefully they make it so that it will tell you the city as well but it's definitely a cool thing.

That would only work in Manhattan (212) and nothing else.

jokkir

Has anyone been trying the ICS custom roms for the Nexus S? If so, how was the battery life and performance? I was trying it before but the battery life wasn't that great so I switched over to a different rom.

Husker86

That would only work in Manhattan (212) and nothing else.

Yeah, as tino implied it's an area code thing, not that difficult to be put in as far as showing the state goes. All of my phones had this feature--until I switched to smartphones...the irony.

Samsung wins latest round against Apple
Genevieve Gannon
November 30, 2011 - 5:49PM
AAP

Samsung has struck the latest blow in its copyright battle with Apple after a court overturned a ban on the sale of its Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia.

In October, Apple was granted an injunction preventing the Korean technology giant from selling the product in Australia after Apple argued the Galaxy infringed on its iPad2 touch screen patent.

On Wednesday three judges in the Federal Court overturned the injunction, saying the ban had the practical effect of "killing off" the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The temporary ban had been put in place pending a decision on Apple's claim Samsung had copied its rival's iPad technology.

In their finding on Wednesday, Federal Court Justices Dowsett, Foster and Yates said Apple's infringement claims hearing would not be likely to take place before the middle of 2012, and the technology only had a shelf life of 12 months.

Given the Galaxy Tab was due to be launched in mid-2011, the judges found the injunction would seal the fate of the Samsung product.

"The practical effect of those injunctions is to deliver to Apple complete victory in respect of its claims for final injunctions in respect of that device," the judgment said.

However after overturning the ban, the judges also granted Apple a stay on its orders until Friday so the company can decide whether it would go to the High Court.

The 600-plus stores that have agreed to stock the Samsung product will have to wait until then to see what Apple is going to do next.

Samsung lawyer Neil Young, QC, argued that any stay of orders would cause further damage to the electronics giant, which has been suffering since the ban was put in place in October.

"It simply serves to prolong the injustice suffered by Samsung," he said.

The court heard it would take seven days to launch the Galaxy for sale in Australia.

The two tech giants have been embroiled in a series of claims and counter-claims over patent breaches relating to touch-screen technology.

Samsung released a statement after the judgment was delivered saying it was confident it would be able to get the tablet into stores in time for Christmas.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...atest-round-against-apple-20111130-1o6qp.html

Good call i say, the more competitions the better for consumers.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Apple need to appeal that one and appeal it fast, because if their case really has been thrown out, Samsung are going to be coming after them for grossly overinflated lost sales.

DarkFlow

Banned

Don't feel too bad. The HD2 now has HA and that's basically the evo with physical buttons.

Also it seems it might be soon.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=19836965&postcount=1046

gcubed

Apple need to appeal that one and appeal it fast, because if their case really has been thrown out, Samsung are going to be coming after them for grossly overinflated lost sales.

its one of the reasons why preliminary injunctions are bad ideas

Ohhh Yeah...

In case you don't speak Korean (stolen from the Beyond3d forums):

- 32nm low-power High-K Metal Gate
- "More than 4x the 3D performance of existing Cortex A9 solutions" (not sure if this means 4x Mali400 MP4 in Exynos 4210 or something else)
- "Panel Self Refresh feature" for reduced power consumption (says something about keeping still images within the SoC, I wonder if it's low-power eDRAM for framebuffer to avoid system RAM consumption).
- SoC's memory bandwidth of 12.8GB/s (dual 32-bit first-gen LPDDR3 @ 800MHz / 1600MT/s?)
- Mass production starting in 2Q 2012, sampling to partners now.

I'll take one of these along with a 720p Super AMOLED+ display in my future Galaxy S III, please.

I suppose it should also be noted that it will have 2 Corex-A15 Cores @ 2.0 GHz and will support resolutions up to 2560 x 1600.

JonnyBrad

there is an old alpha that was leaked around, but it has a lot of stuff not working, like microphone in calls. basically the guys working on it are refusing to release anything until it is stable.

for updates and drama see here:
http://codeworkx.de/wordpress/

They're not releasing it atm because of the mic's not working on phonecalls. If they released it in this state the self entitled whinging on XDA would be nuclear so i think its fair enough.

They have closed the source until release to stop MIUI from stealing things, incorporating with no credit and then releasing their closed source UI.

There was also the issue of one of the dev team (who i think was 14) compiling a version and releasing it on xda as his own and trying to get donations.

Basically a big clusterfuck but i can understand why they are not releasing things at the moment.

They're not releasing it atm because of the mic's not working on phonecalls. If they released it in this state the self entitled whinging on XDA would be nuclear so i think its fair enough.

They have closed the source until release to stop MIUI from stealing things, incorporating with no credit and then releasing their closed source UI.

There was also the issue of one of the dev team (who i think was 14) compiling a version and releasing it on xda as his own and trying to get donations.

Basically a big clusterfuck but i can understand why they are not releasing things at the moment.

Yes i followed that thread closely for many days since i wants ICS on my GS2 so badly, lol, i says only 5% are whiners but im glad that thread is closed so that the dev can focus on releasing it asap instead of wasting times arguing with the trolls and whiners on that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom