• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurntPork

Banned
The fault lies in between the gap between the glass screen and the body of the phone. You probably can't see it now, but you will, when stuff starts getting in there. Unless you can find a case that guarantees an airtight seal, dust will still find its way in. IMO you got your phone for 30 bucks, just use it nude and enjoy the hardware.

Well that sucks. At least it's still an awesome phone! I might still get a case for it, though, since I'm protective of my electronics (especially when it'll cost $500 to replace it if it breaks).

Dazzla

Assuming by folder you mean labels, pretty sure thats just the stock gmail app, are you sure you have it setup correctly?
More-> Settings-> click your account, scroll to bottom
make sure Email notifications are checked.
click labels to notify
any label you have set to syn for a certain period of time can be notified on (by default its only inbox and priority inbox). can be changed by clicking sync inboxes and labels.

Sorry, I meant the normal mail client. My exchange account has server side rules to sort into subfolders. I could see it in the Gmail app, why don't they put that functionality into the normal mail client? I don't want to go and buy touchdown or something similar.

I'll be getting my Christmas bonus in December this year, and I was thinking I could do with a better Android device than the one I have right now (even if it is a 7" tablet, 600Mhz, tiny internal storage and Android 2.2 just don't cut it any more). I can't afford a new tablet, so my new device is going to have to be a phone, around the £250 price range. So far I've been looking at these devices:

Anyone got any other recommendations that are available SIM-free at that kind of price point in the UK?

now that LG backpedaled and said it's getting ICS, Optimus 2x for sure.

The resolution affects the score, and the app might not be optimized well for ICS quite yet.

EDIT: Oh, they all used the same resolution. Still, we can't say for sure until the GS2 gets ICS.

i'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the GS2's scores will get better with ICS.

newjeruse

Really hoping that whatever the HTC Zeta turns out to be, it is released in concert with all the OG Evo 4G owners contracts expiring next Summer. What a beast that thing is.

kinggroin

Banned
Well, I guess...

Okay, the Galaxy Nexus is gimped. The only reason to get it is for the screen, stock Android, or better support.

All three of those sound well worth it. The only thing the gs2 has on the nexus, is its theoretical ability to play high end 3d games better. This is android though, not xbox live.

There is no phone that is more attractive than the nexus imo.

Pctx

Banned
Screen and stock support are worth it, however it depends on what people are looking for.

I'm waiting to see what DC or QC phones we're going to see @ CES to make a choice before I get a new phone. Comes CES, I'm guessing all premium Android phones will be 720p screens and I bet we'll see the Galaxy S3 w/ a 720p with an AMOLED HD+ screen.

rc213

Well that sucks. At least it's still an awesome phone! I might still get a case for it, though, since I'm protective of my electronics (especially when it'll cost $500 to replace it if it breaks).

I had to swap out my original Sensation 4G after 3 weeks in early July because of the dust issue. Since then I've had it with a eBay TPU case and a zagg screen shield and no issue so far. *knock on wood*

Arken2121

Screen and stock support are worth it, however it depends on what people are looking for.

I'm waiting to see what DC or QC phones we're going to see @ CES to make a choice before I get a new phone. Comes CES, I'm guessing all premium Android phones will be 720p screens and I bet we'll see the Galaxy S3 w/ a 720p with an AMOLED HD+ screen.

I'm looking at just waiting for the S3. Going without a phone sucks but if it comes to Verizon, i'm game.

Pctx

Banned
I'm looking at just waiting for the S3. Going without a phone sucks but if it comes to Verizon, i'm game.

My biggest issues with the phone is availability, price and camera. I'm really wanting a phone that does 1080p and pictures well and right now the GS2 does them better (IMO) than the Nexus does. The GS3 I'm hoping has the same or better camera shutter as the Nexus but without the detail or quality loss comparatively.

Regardless though, the Nexus stands on its own as a truly epic phone.

Well, I guess...

Okay, the Galaxy Nexus is gimped. The only reason to get it is for the screen, stock Android, or better support.

yeah, but those are all compelling reasons.

All three of those sound well worth it. The only thing the gs2 has on the nexus, is its theoretical ability to play high end 3d games better. This is android though, not xbox live.

There is no phone that is more attractive than the nexus imo.

it has better still image and video capture, and with removable memory, you can record lots of video by simply swapping microsd cards!

Ashhong

How is the battery life on the LG 2X? I was thinking of getting the G2X on Tmobile but a little worried about the battery since it was the first dual core phone.

Cudder

Why is the iPhone so much better when web browsing?

Hardware acceleration, which has been fixed in ICS.

Although I still think that web browsing on Android is better regardless. When I use the Nexus One I KNOW that whatever website I end up going on will work flawlessly no matter what thanks to Flash. Before Battlefield 3 was out I was watching a LIVE STREAM of the game being played on my N1, amazing. That, coupled with the fact that you can do other magnificent things like download mixtapes, unzip them, and then proceed to listen to them in your music player of choice, all from your phone, still blows my goddamn mind every time I do it.

panda21

i think the SGS2 has hardware accelerated browsing?

i've been using cyanogen on my sgs2 for a while and i'd love to be wrong, but it feels like stock is a whole world of smoother, probably because the hardware acceleration works better.

trying out checkrom, it seems pretty cool. i'd forgotten that touchwiz is actually quite good, although i don't like the iphone style app drawer

Circle T

I am really impressed at how good the CM9 alpha is on the Captivate. I think I am going to try using it for a couple days and hopefully it is solid enough for everyday use.
I've found, stability-wise it is totally capable for daily use. Battery-wise, though, not so much. Still needs some work optimizing, it seems, as I can only get about 6-8hrs right now, when previously on CM7 I could make a full day no problem. Still though, like you said, considering its "Alpha" state, it is quite awesome how well it runs.

Android GAF:

My girlfriend just got an HTC Rhyme (Verizon) as a present. She really likes the size (she dislikes 4" and greater screens). However, she isn't sure if she should keep it. I looked it up, and it doesn't exactly have a future (Cyanogenmod support is completely absent). I actually recommended that she defect to Apple, as they share her views on the small form factor of phones. Also, I let her know that the Droid 4 will be coming out soon with similar specs as the Razr. This might not be an option due to her disdain for hardware keyboards. What say you, GAF? Does she have any other good options? Looks like everything Android is going bigger.

NOTE: She has to stay with Verizon

Ashhong

I have been having huge phone lag, especially when installing new apps. Figured the problem was my class 2 SD card since I was using an sd-ext partition for my apps. Today I was messing around with my DPI, originally at 184, and it seems to be a lot better! So happy. Currently at 186 and it looks the same so no harm done.

Android GAF:

My girlfriend just got an HTC Rhyme (Verizon) as a present. She really likes the size (she dislikes 4" and greater screens). However, she isn't sure if she should keep it. I looked it up, and it doesn't exactly have a future (Cyanogenmod support is completely absent). I actually recommended that she defect to Apple, as they share her views on the small form factor of phones. Also, I let her know that the Droid 4 will be coming out soon with similar specs as the Razr. This might not be an option due to her disdain for hardware keyboards. What say you, GAF? Does she have any other good options? Looks like everything Android is going bigger.

NOTE: She has to stay with Verizon

why does she need CM?

reKon

Banned
after using an htc incredible with the default go launcher ex theme and simi clock, all the other widgets, and playing around with it for a few days, I honestly don't understand those who leave android for ios, especially when android 4.0 is coming out. I've used plenty of iOS and I guess it really must be all about the apps (and the better battery life too I guess) but so far, the apps on the android market have been great for me.

I'm now realizing that I've fallen victim to the bullshit hyperbole that has been spewed out of android/ios threads filled with people who complain about the faults of android like the apparently lag that is non existent to iOS. Stop running so many damn widgets on your phone then... I understand the experience should be silky smooth and thankfully hardware acceleration will help fix all of this on the Nexus (which I plan on getting). So far, my incredible has experienced barely any lag and has been operating extremely well, even with a cracked screen (this is my mom's old phone).

thespot84

after using an htc incredible with the default go launcher ex theme and simi clock, all the other widgets, and playing around with it for a few days, I honestly don't understand those who leave android for ios, especially when android 4.0 is coming out. I've used plenty of iOS and I guess it really must be all about the apps (and the better battery life too I guess) but so far, the apps on the android market have been great for me.

I'm now realizing that I've fallen victim to the bullshit hyperbole that has been spewed out of android/ios threads filled with people who complain about the faults of android like the apparently lag that is non existent to iOS. Stop running so many damn widgets on your phone then... I understand the experience should be silky smooth and thankfully hardware acceleration will help fix all of this on the Nexus (which I plan on getting). So far, my incredible has experienced barely any lag and has been operating extremely well, even with a cracked screen (this is my mom's old phone).

To echo this, I've convinced myself, given the bias that I will be buying a GN when it comes out, that ICS is going to be the great leveler when it comes to the OS wars. I had a lengthy conversation with a friend tonight who's used both, and he currently has iOS and likes it more, for it's 'fluidity' and the general ease and smoothness of the experience. Up until now iOS has been more polished, and I think his 'complaints' are valid ones. Given the reviews and video I've seen of ICS on decent hardware I'm very hopeful that Android will finally be given the smoothness my friend mentioned, but without the walled garden that is iOS. Fingers Crossed.

EDIT:

Just fired this up. It was painless, and is absolutely INCREDIBLE.

reKon

Banned
To echo this, I've convinced myself, given the bias that I will be buying a GN when it comes out, that ICS is going to be the great leveler when it comes to the OS wars. I had a lengthy conversation with a friend tonight who's used both, and he currently has iOS and likes it more, for it's 'fluidity' and the general ease and smoothness of the experience. Up until now iOS has been more polished, and I think his 'complaints' are valid ones. Given the reviews and video I've seen of ICS on decent hardware I'm very hopeful that Android will finally be given the smoothness my friend mentioned, but without the walled garden that is iOS. Fingers Crossed.

Apple has barely had to change anything to their fundamental design in terms of the layout of the OS other than folders and notifications (which can still be improved). Am I correct? If that's so I guess excluding brand recognition/design, people will take simplicity, familiarity, and the "app selection" over customization and trying something new (because that is exactly what android is to someone who knows iOS). If you had an ipod touch as an mp3 player, then you know iOS. You don't have to know much more and when a new phone comes out, you can pay more attention to the new features.

Furthermore, Android really isn't as complicated as people make it out to be. They are just use to something else. My mom's first smartphone was the htc incredible I'm using now and she sucks with technology. If she was able to play around with it and figure stuff out, anyone could. I credit some of this to HTC sense, which was designed pretty well, but in general I wish people would be more open minded. I know there are plenty of legit reasons for people to prefer the iPhone 4/4s but I NEVER hear legit reasons from the same people. It's usually comes from those who actually know about both Android and iOS platforms.

Some of the shit I've been doing in terms of customization isn't really that hard. I think that an average person could be able to figure out how to change themes and use a different launcher and widgets rather than the defaults on their phone and really enjoy their nice design. You're going to be owning a phone for a long time so you have plenty of time to learn how to change things. It's not like it's a one day thing where you have to learn everything at once.

thespot84

Apple has barely had to change anything to their fundamental design in terms of the layout of the OS other than folders and notifications (which can still be improved). Am I correct? If that's so I guess excluding brand recognition/design, people will take simplicity, familiarity, and the "app selection" over customization and trying something new (because that is exactly what android is to someone who knows iOS). If you had an ipod touch as an mp3 player, then you know iOS. You don't have to know much more and when a new phone comes out, you can pay more attention to the new features.

You hit the nail on the head here. 'people' refers to the general populace, people who are not particularly saavy (remember, 1/2 of everyone you meet is below average), and like things spoon fed to them. There's a lot of selection bias with the people here on GAF.

Because GAF is a.) on the internet b.) a gaming forum, and c.) populated primarily by young men you're going to find more people here who are into things like customizing, but it's simply not the case among most people.

While brand recognition is important the fact is, like you said, Apple has a winning formula. There's a reason they're a $350 billion company. I think people will go to great lengths to defend their decision to buy an iPhone, or do anything for that matter, and that's where 'android is hard' comes from.

My mom uses android and has no problems with it. Android is not hard, but it's also not delivered on a parent-voiced fake biplane of a spoon into your mouth (as the dollars leave your wallet).

thus far, smoothness in ICS is definitely a jump over gingerbread.. but it does have hitches and stutters in the app drawer and a few other places..hopefully these will be ironed out, leaving nothing but buttery smoothness all around.

imo, WP 7.5 and iOS are still smoother and have better, more consistent user experiences. ICS shows that Apple and Microsoft can't afford to rest on their laurels, though.. because Google is closing the gap.

Android is a different animal than either of the other two.. and it can be frustrating and intimidating to people who aren't tech savvy. ICS helps by breaking the settings down into meaningful categories.. but there are still a lot of things in there that are intimidating to users that are welcome to more technically proficient folks.. things like the built-in task manager, certificate settings, etc are things that evoke the feeling of a PC more than a device they just use to make phone calls and read an e-mail or two.

ICS is a step in the right direction.. but Google still has more work to do. Definitely the best version of Android, though.

My opinion of ICS may change more as I use my galaxy nexus, but so far I just think it is the best version of android.. and not necessarily superior to WP 7 or iOS.

Blackhead

Redarse

I keep going back to iOS because a jailbroken iPhone is just as customizable as any Android phone but comes with a more consistent ecosystem. There are only a few Android features/apps I care about that I can't get with a jailbroken iPhone: NoLED/LED notifier, system-wide Downloads manager, and Flash support.

panda21

i wonder if the smoothness of iOS is really any better than android these days. i guess it probably was in the past, but comparing my ipad with my SGS2, the SGS2 is way way smoother and the ipad has plenty of random stuttering/hitches where it will not respond for a second before doing what you told it to, e.g after hitting the home button in an app.

thanks. it seems pretty shitty. i wonder if its any better with custom roms.

Absolutely, my father bought a optimus 2x and it came with froyo, it was quite terrible.

I put cyanogenmod all over that shit and it's quite awesome, it lasts him about two days with lightish usage and a day of heavy usage.

*Reads title* Eh, sounds useless...
*Looks at screenshot* Holy crap.

Samsung Note vs. Galaxy Nexus?

I have to buy a new droid next month. Can't decide...GAF help me.

I'm an HTC fanboy but none of their latest models are as good as the Note or GN.

Is the Note getting an ICS update anytime soon? If yes that would push me forward to grab it right now..

pootle

I bought a Note when I found out that the Nexus doesn't support usb memory sticks and I am delighted with it. Great screen, big battery and a micro sd slot. Also it's still a very thin phone and it fits in my fleece or jacket pocket just fine. I haven't really used the stylus but it seems to work very well. I'm not sure if Samsung really are getting their act together and will be updating to ICS more quickly than their past crap efforts but as it is the Note is a fantastic phone.

panda21

damn some of these android developers are douchehawks. it really puts me off using some of the roms just because of how childish they act. SGS2 seems to have some real e-drama loving devs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom