• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyBrad

Yes i followed that thread closely for many days since i wants ICS on my GS2 so badly, lol, i says only 5% are whiners but im glad that thread is closed so that the dev can focus on releasing it asap instead of wasting times arguing with the trolls and whiners on that thread.

Exactly. Let them get on with their work is what i say. When they have got all major features implemented release it and XDA members can start finding the small bugs from there.

panda21

but going closed source just seems counterproductive. now only people who are part of their little group can work on it, because they are so terrified of someone else taking the credit. basically their egos are taking precedence over getting ICS working quickly.

I don't think the MIUI thing is entirely fair, since they have contributed stuff to cyanogenmod (fm radio), and it seems a bit petty to closed source it because of that.

I mean if microphone isn't working what are MIUI going to do with it? Unless they fix it, and release a working ICS... which would benefit everyone, except teamhacksung's egos.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
According to the devs working on the Desire port, the HD2 HA implementation is a very bad hack, and not solid enough to be used.

From XDA:

been running the rom with the hack now since last night (~12hrs), battery drain is higher even when the phone is not used. While it is being used the phone gets warm alot faster than usual, the drain is very noticable. The constant errors being logged in the background are so bad that the cpu is almost constantly at 100% and its impossible to open logcat after a while (totally clogged...)

You notice a kind of choppyness during browsing thats clearly cuased by all the unnnessacery cpu usage, but the UI is a lot more responsive.

Its a compromise, battery drain / weird choppyness vs slow UI.

The hack is "bad" because someone threw some external libs into the rom without rebuilding it, so a few links between libs are broken. it works "kind of", but this is not how its meant ot be.

Imagine someone attaching the wrong gears to a gearbox with the teeth constantly grinding, probably the best analogy.

nozomi.jpg

Apparently the new SE-Nozomi. Looks absolutely sick. Such a shame it will come with a completely outdated SoC instead of a Krait based one.

Finally jumped on the smartphone bandwagon and got myself a swanky new Bionic 4G LTE. I like its look and speed, but being so new to the smartphone business, I'm so unaware of so many features. It's like I'm trying to swim across an ocean with nothing but a snorkel.

Blackhead

Redarse
nozomi.jpg

Apparently the new SE-Nozomi. Looks absolutely sick. Such a shame it will come with a completely outdated SoC instead of a Krait based one.

They are still calling it Xperia under the Sony Ericsson brand? I thought they'd use the buyout as an opportunity to start afresh...

Cipherr

I hope Sony stops being hardheaded and tries to be the OEM for the next Nexus phone. Samsung has been it one too many times.

I would piss myself if they managed to snag the next Nexus phone. SE has the best hardware designs by far, I wouldn't know what to do with myself man.

I would piss myself if they managed to snag the next Nexus phone. SE has the best hardware designs by far, I wouldn't know what to do with myself man.

Considering that S-E is currently working on a SoC with a A15/PowerVR 6 series combo, I'd be interested in seeing such a thing.

gcubed

Considering that S-E is currently working on a SoC with a A15/PowerVR 6 series combo, I'd be interested in seeing such a thing.

Oh yeah? For when? They have been behind techwise on every phone they release. Would be nice to see them compete on all fronts (definitely best designs)

I now realize that youtube video is of the old platform, but as far as what you're saying gcubed, did I misread this?

ST-Ericsson’s new Nova A9600 brings over 200 percent more mobile computing performance compared to the U8500 platform. It features the industry’s best and most efficient low-power implementation known today of a dual ARM® Cortex- A15 MPCore™ with each core running up to 2.5GHz thanks to very innovative power saving techniques to be disclosed later this year.
“As the selection of advanced smartphones and tablets increases we see the need for a wider range of performance points to be addressed,” said Mike Inglis, EVP and general manager of the ARM Processor Division, “This announcement shows the performance that can be achieved by combining the Cortex-A15 processor with integrated LTE modems.”
The Nova A9600 will be the first platform announced to incorporate Imagination Technologies next generation of graphics processors, codenamed Rogue, which will set a new performance bar for GPUs at mobile power consumption levels. The Nova A9600 will bring more than a 20-fold improvement in graphics performance compared with the U8500 platform.

gcubed

I now realize that youtube video is of the old platform, but as far as what you're saying gcubed, did I misread this?

Nope, no misreading, just didn't see an associated novathor product for that. I have no knowledge just assuming the novathor, which is the combined chips/modems, are the smartphone applications. I would love to see that chip though.

wario

Nope, no misreading, just didn't see an associated novathor product for that. I have no knowledge just assuming the novathor, which is the combined chips/modems, are the smartphone applications. I would love to see that chip though.

it might be awhile.

anandtech has it listed as a 2013 chip. it was announced around mwc in february and almost nothing has been said about it since then.

the company's gone through quite a bit with job cuts, r&d site closures and financial losses this year.

having said that, sony does have an upcoming mid-range phone, the LT22i Nypon, using the st-ericsson u8500 chipset.

specs include:
cortex-a9 dual-core 1 ghz cpu
mali-400 gpu
qhd screen

it will be interesting if this phone outperforms their flagship nozomi that uses the dual-core 1.5ghz snapdragon.

I'm preparing to flash my Droid X with CyanogenMod. Almost time for me to finally say Goodbye and Fuck You to MotoShittyBlur.

[Oblivion Arena Announcer]THIS! SHOULD! BE!! INTERESTING!!![/Oblivion Arena Announcer]

Yoshiya

Dual A15 makes a lot more sense than quad A9, given multithreading is never 100% efficient and proper support in apps is still limited (I believe). Nvidia look to be stuck with a stopgap product once again.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Well a bad hack is better then no hack. The Devs on XDA amaze me with what they can do giving very little.

Is it really? Again, from the write-up of using it:

The constant errors being logged in the background are so bad that the cpu is almost constantly at 100% and its impossible to open logcat after a while (totally clogged...)

You notice a kind of choppyness during browsing thats clearly cuased by all the unnnessacery cpu usage, but the UI is a lot more responsive.

No thanks. I'll take a sluggish UI over battery drain and CPU overload.

Dual A15 makes a lot more sense than quad A9, given multithreading is never 100% efficient and proper support in apps is still limited (I believe). Nvidia look to be stuck with a stopgap product once again.

Nvidia made compromises with Tegra 2 to have the timing to become the de-facto honeycomb SoC. Now they are making compromises with Tegra 3 to become the de-facto Window on ARM SoC. They would have probably preferred to have made T3 28nm with Cortex-A15s, but they need as many of their chips in the hands of OEMs right now in order to gain a good amount of market share.

Has anybody compared the Prime to the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus yet? That's what I really want to see.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
My Droid 1 is asking me if I want to update. I'll do it if it's ICS, but I doubt it is. Haven't really seen anything yet.

Pctx

Banned
read that yesterday, besides the wifi issue he had, it all seems very positive, with the comment about "the best LCD ever in a tablet"

Yup and quite frankly, I think ICS is going to turn the tide on the iOS vs. Android debate once we get some saturation with some of the ASUS product line.

gcubed

Yup and quite frankly, I think ICS is going to turn the tide on the iOS vs. Android debate once we get some saturation with some of the ASUS product line.

there needs to be more ICS products out because some video streaming apps aren't allowed to be installed, etc.

and i agree, once ICS gets saturated there is no more "honeycomb/phone" apps, they are all one in the same.

tfur

Can anyone tell me if L2TP with PSK works with ICS or the current OS that is on the Asus Transformer?

In the past, stock Android would have problems with L2TP and people would end up using PPTP.

wario

indeed. Sony needs to start making phones that are good on the inside too.

what we see at ces and mwc in early 2012 should be the last of the SE developed phones. sony phones should be arriving by fall 2012.

sony's already changing things up by using st-ericsson's chips instead of qualcomm snapdragons in some of their phones.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I love my google ecosystem and everything, but they are going to have to do something incredible to beat dropbox, It's easily the best piece of software I've started using in the last couple of years.

It doesn't have to be Dropbox, though that would be cool. I'm wondering if it's more a game cloud save service.

Kwixotik

How would I go about unlocking my AT&T Galaxy S II? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help or point me in the right direction. Google isn't helping much.

Cipherr

i think we will start hearing more about other devices getting ICS once Verizon launches their version. Google has been pretty mum

Yeah, we aren't going to hear anything about ICS on other devices officially until after the GN drops more than likely.

gcubed

Yeah, we aren't going to hear anything about ICS on other devices officially until after the GN drops more than likely.

the thing that sucks is that Verizon screwing around with it is slowing down the pressure for app developers.

as a note - my wife's atrix is having all kinds of whacky issues. She bought a protection plan through best buy because she has a hard time keeping a phone in her hands instead of on the ground, or on subway tracks (happened already). Anyone here have the Atrix 2? Best Buy doesnt really carry the original Atrix so when we go tomorrow she will most likely get an Atrix 2 as a replacement. I'm gathering its better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom