• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anyone who has installed Android on Hp Touchpad recommend it? I just realized mine has been shitting there untouched for like 2 months. I can't stand the thing.

dream

Would anyone who has installed Android on Hp Touchpad recommend it? I just realized mine has been shitting there untouched for like 2 months. I can't stand the thing.

Think of it as getting an organ transplant. You'll have to take a ton of drugs and there's always a good chance your new organ will fail but it's better than leaving your diseased organ in your body.

Ps in the analogy above I am referring to webOS as the diseased, cancerous, failed organ.

kehs

Banned
Think of it as getting an organ transplant. You'll have to take a ton of drugs and there's always a good chance your new organ will fail but it's better than leaving your diseased organ in your body.

Ps in the analogy above I am referring to webOS as the diseased, cancerous, failed organ.

Is synergy holistic medicine then?

jayb

Eric Schmidt was addressing the crowd at Le Web in Paris and recounted a tale when an Android user asked why apps were often written for iOS first, and then ported over to Google's OS. His response? "My prediction is that six months from now, you'll say the opposite." After the uncomfortable silence had died down, he added that Android's "open" model meant the company had volume on its side -- and volume is what he feels will attract developers.

Bookmarked to laugh at next June.
While I doubt that'll happen within 6 months, why wouldn't devs want to develop on the more widespread OS first?

Cipherr

Eric Schmidt was addressing the crowd at Le Web in Paris and recounted a tale when an Android user asked why apps were often written for iOS first, and then ported over to Google's OS. His response? "My prediction is that six months from now, you'll say the opposite." After the uncomfortable silence had died down, he added that Android's "open" model meant the company had volume on its side -- and volume is what he feels will attract developers.

I think at best they will attain parity development wise, eventually, on the back of sheer volume alone. But 6 months is a fucking pipe dream.

dream

I think at best they will attain parity development wise, eventually, on the back of sheer volume alone. But 6 months is a fucking pipe dream.
Parity may be more realistic but in an environment where developers have to release soc specific versions of games, there is just no way they'll use android as their lead platform.

Sanic

Just flashed MIUI onto my phone using ROM recovery and it's continually looping through the boot logo and playing the startup jingle.

For those who have installed miui, is that normal for a first boot, or is something broken? I've had it sitting here for over five minutes; assuming this isn't normal.

Just flashed MIUI onto my phone using ROM recovery and it's continually looping through the boot logo and playing the startup jingle.

For those who have installed miui, is that normal for a first boot, or is something broken?

It happens from time to time when first installing a new ROM. Just go back to Recovery and re-flash.

Sanic

It happens from time to time when first installing a new ROM. Just go back to Recovery and re-flash.

I downloaded miui through the rom recovery interface as opposed to installing from internal storage, will I have to flash back to my stock backup and go through the process again or is there an option to reflash miui through clockworkmod that i'm missing?

andycapps

For those who have installed miui, is that normal for a first boot, or is something broken? I've had it sitting here for over five minutes; assuming this isn't normal.

That's not normal. Did you wipe your cache and dalvik cache before you installed?

Did anyone get the new Facebook update? It's supposedly focused on improving speed of everything. Previews make it look like the Facebook mobile site, which I use most of the time now anyway since it's so much faster and better designed.

I downloaded miui through the rom recovery interface as opposed to installing from internal storage, will I have to flash back to my stock backup and go through the process again or is there an option to reflash miui through clockworkmod that i'm missing?

Hm? You mean ROM Manager? Anyways, yeah, if you can't flash through recovery (clockworkmod) you'll have to restore a backup and try again. I always flash through recovery for this very reason.

panda21

which ROM did you install?

It's buggy and unstable, there are wifi issues, some apps don't work properly (and no honeycomb support), worse battery life.

And it's still a better experience than WebOS. I haven't booted into WebOS once the day I installed CM7. Netflix + Opera Mobile alone sealed the deal for me.

iavi

MIUI 1.12.2 english translation

And it seems to be working now. Thanks guys.

Yeah, the methodology to adopt while flashing is to: first Nandroid backup, then always wipe at least the dalvik cache and cache. I'd even suggest wiping your data & battery stats if you're going from something like an AOSP rom to Miui, but I can only suggest that since grabbing my apps from the marketplace doesn't bother me. It does guarantee that you'll have the best flash possible, however.

tino

Banned

Nowadays alot of games come out on Android first anyway.

Wound up knight for example.

andycapps

Yeah, the methodology to adopt while flashing is to: first Nandroid backup, then always wipe at least the dalvik cache and cache. I'd even suggest wiping your data & battery stats if you're going from something like an AOSP rom to Miui, but I can only suggest that since grabbing my apps from the marketplace doesn't bother me. It does guarantee that you'll have the best flash possible, however.

Yeah, the first time I went to MIUI I did the above. Once you're on it though, you shouldn't have to anything beyond wiping your cache and dalvik when you get the weekly upgrades.

New apps today:
Flick Golf
Reckless Racing
AirSync by doubleTwist
Read It Later Pro
Beautiful Widgets
Christmas HD
Fruit Ninja
Star Chart
NFL Rivals

last app still not found yet (until they update)

Amazon app store is a POS. That's the ONLY thing they're good for.

apparently it's really good for it, i believe 6 of those apps were also given away on Amazon before.

Futureman

Does anyone want to buy a fake PS2 emulator for Android? If so you can give some guy $20.91. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nathanroys.ps2#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDIxMiwiY29tLm5hdGhhbnJveXMucHMyIl0.

I really cannot believe that this is on the market and more importantly people have bought it. Sadly the same developer has the same thing for the 360, PSP, Windows, etc. It seems like from the reviews all it does is load an image.

Installs:
100 - 500

!!!

Sorta reminds me of people selling videogame console boxes on ebay trying to trick people into thinking they are getting the actual game system.

but then again, the name of the app is pretty clear.

Threi

notag
wow @ the PS3 emulator

wow @ people who actually paid for it ($40? Dang)

wow @ all his crap being still up on the android market

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Nowadays alot of games come out on Android first anyway.

Wound up knight for example.

Dude, seriously....THANK YOU! Holy shit. I've been trying to remember what the fuck the name of the game was for the past 2 weeks and scrolled through 500 Top Free games. It was a featured game 2 weeks ago on the store and for some odd reason I couldn't download it (kept getting storage error on my Infuse).

So now that I have my white Skyrocket I tried to find the game with no success for the third time 20 minutes ago... and here you are talking about it.

Futureman

what is the deal with Wind Up Knight's price? I'm reading you can beat it with the free version, but it MIGHT cost you if you aren't good enough?

While I doubt that'll happen within 6 months, why wouldn't devs want to develop on the more widespread OS first?

Because users of the "less-widespread" OS are more likely to buy apps, and buy them at a higher price.

So, unless you're simply developing for fun, you know which one to target for profits.

question about android market movie rentals:

I'm going on a plane trip to Hawaii and I'm bringing my Xoom. When you rent movies is it streaming only or can you download the movie beforehand?

No wifi on flights to Hawaii just yet

Arken2121

Explain your situation more. Worth waiting for Sprint for what? Galaxy Nexus?

I currently don't have any service and I want to know since Sprints going LTE, if it were a smart move to just go with them. I tried the epic 4g touch at my home at the data speed really blows. I really want a nice smartphone since it's going to be my first.

Husker86

I currently don't have any service and I want to know since Sprints going LTE, if it were a smart move to just go with them. I tried the epic 4g touch at my home at the data speed really blows. I really want a nice smartphone since it's going to be my first.

Them going LTE doesn't help you at all currently. None of the current phones will work with it and it means their current 4G (WiMax) will not be expanded any more than it already is.

That phone is one of the best out as far as Android goes. The network speed for it won't change though.

FireCloud

question about android market movie rentals:

I'm going on a plane trip to Hawaii and I'm bringing my Xoom. When you rent movies is it streaming only or can you download the movie beforehand?

No wifi on flights to Hawaii just yet

Though I haven't rented any movies through Google yet, I remember reading that you can "pin" the movie to your device. This allows you to download it before hand. Once you start playing it, the rental rules would apply, ie. amount of time you have to watch it before the rental is over.

Arken2121

Them going LTE doesn't help you at all currently. None of the current phones will work with it and it means their current 4G (WiMax) will not be expanded any more than it already is.

That phone is one of the best out as far as Android goes. The network speed for it won't change though.

Yeah, that's my problem as well. I'm literally a mile or two outside of the 4G coverage area and now i'm thinking they wont expand it even a little. I do miss the phone though.

Though I haven't rented any movies through Google yet, I remember reading that you can "pin" the movie to your device. This allows you to download it before hand. Once you start playing it, the rental rules would apply, ie. amount of time you have to watch it before the rental is over.

Thanks man

Husker86

Any of you have great experiences with VWZ?

Edit: or even Sprint

Verizon has great coverage and speeds (on LTE, 3G marginally faster than Sprint, obviously depending on area).

I didn't mind Sprint at all when I had them, I switched to Verizon in March since LTE was going to be in my area. I never had a negative experience with either. Carrier choice is 90% area dependent though so ask around.

Sanic

Any thoughts on Browsers? I'm sure it's talked about often but some searching didn't bring up anything substantial or recent.

I'm liking Firefox but for whatever reason the google page it pulls up looks terrible. Like some sort of WAP/Classic hybrid, and not the traditional mobile site you would get with any other browser.

jokkir

Any thoughts on Browsers? I'm sure it's talked about often but some searching didn't bring up anything substantial or recent.

I'm liking Firefox but for whatever reason the google page it pulls up looks terrible. Like some sort of WAP/Classic hybrid, and not the traditional mobile site you would get with any other browser.

Try Boat Browser. Best browser I've used so far.

Toki767

I use Dolphin for a browser myself. Though I do like the ICS browser a lot which I think is basically a mobile Chrome. It feels very smooth.

Sanic

I use Dolphin for a browser myself. Though I do like the ICS browser a lot which I think is basically a mobile Chrome. It feels very smooth.

Can't get past how ugly it is. Sounds superficial, but it IS something I would be using everyday. I might look into themeing it myself, since I couldn't find anything suitable.

Try Boat Browser. Best browser I've used so far.

Liking this a lot! Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom