• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
onlive was released for android. anyone download it yet and try to play games?
It's pink on my Droid x2. Seems like a common problem. Over wifi legobatman ran fine just it was all pink. Controls are kinda a bitch though so many onscreen buttons.

andycapps

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the facebook app just the mobile web app now?

Very similar, which is okay with me. Still wondering if push notifications are working. It has the annoying settings of Notifications > On, but then you have a separate setting for updates. I'm not sure if Notifications > On means push, and I doubt it does as that setting has been there forever and I've never received push notifications.

Good to see that Google+ has influenced Facebook to improve the design of it's app, finally. Definitely seeing some UI influence there, and speed is approaching the G+ app.

gcubed

Lumine

Hey guys, I'm about to join you lot as an android phone owner. Ordered a Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman which should've arrived today, but I guess I'll have to wait 'till tomorrow.

Anyway, I was thinking of ordering a microSD card for it as the phone only comes with a 2gb one. I didn't want to start a whole new thread for one small question so I thought I'd ask here.

What brand(s) should I be looking at or avoiding? I see there are several "classes" too, I guess they have to do with the reading speed? Any minimum class I should go for? Also, it says my phone's memory can be upgraded to 32gb, I assume that means it supports microSDHC. Am I correct?

I was just looking at some 16gb ones and I'm really suprised how far they have fallen in price. :)

Thanks in advance.

gcubed

Hey guys, I'm about to join you lot as an android phone owner. Ordered a Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman which should've arrived today, but I guess I'll have to wait 'till tomorrow.

Anyway, I was thinking of ordering a microSD card for it as the phone only comes with a 2gb one. I didn't want to start a whole new thread for one small question so I thought I'd ask here.

What brand(s) should I be looking at or avoiding? I see there are several "classes" too, I guess they have to do with the reading speed? Any minimum class I should go for? Also, it says my phone's memory can be upgraded to 32gb, I assume that means it supports microSDHC. Am I correct?

I was just looking at some 16gb ones and I'm really suprised how far they have fallen in price. :)

Thanks in advance.

yup, should be fine with SDHC cards then. Not sure how much internal memory is in that phone, but if you are only going to use the SD Card to store pictures, movies/music you could probably avoid buying the highest class to save some cash, although i'm not sure of the price differences between a class 6 and a 10.

pr0cs

Get the fastest class card you can afford. You can get some really cheap cards but if they're < class 6 it will be an exercise in frustration in getting data (music, videos etc) to and from it since it will be so slow.

I bought a cheap card and I regret even using it since it's so slow. it's ok to use for storing small files, etc but copying music to it is really annoying.

pr0cs

I really hate how the ICS launcher still doesn't support scrolling widgets, or they changed that sort of functionality in 4.0.
I like the launcher but widgets like Colorize simply won't work.
I could always go back to something GoLauncher or LauncherPro, etc but I sort of wanted to enjoy 4.0 stock. I just can't believe they touted shit like "resizable widgets!" yet scrollable widgets still aren't supported properly yet.

Futureman

I really hate how the ICS launcher still doesn't support scrolling widgets, or they changed that sort of functionality in 4.0.
I like the launcher but widgets like Colorize simply won't work.
I could always go back to something GoLauncher or LauncherPro, etc but I sort of wanted to enjoy 4.0 stock. I just can't believe they touted shit like "resizable widgets!" yet scrollable widgets still aren't supported properly yet.

doesn't gmail have a scrollable widget? Sounds to me like 3rd party widgets haven't been updated to include scrolling.

pr0cs

doesn't gmail have a scrollable widget? Sounds to me like 3rd party widgets haven't been updated to include scrolling.

Yeah you're right, the calendar widget scrolls so they must have changed the API in 4.0 so that scrolling works differently, at least for their launcher anyway.

If I use GoLauncher the scrolling works fine so it's definitely related to the launcher as well though.

ICS is really good though, I'm getting better battery life, more responsive usage, way better browser, even with my hacked cyanogen build 7 on my SGS. Shame I'll never get a 'real' ICS out of Samsung, par for the course though and the reason why I don't expect I'll ever buy a non-google branded phone again.

gcubed

Yeah you're right, the calendar widget scrolls so they must have changed the API in 4.0 so that scrolling works differently, at least for their launcher anyway.

If I use GoLauncher the scrolling works fine so it's definitely related to the launcher as well though.

ICS is really good though, I'm getting better battery life, more responsive usage, way better browser, even with my hacked cyanogen build 7 on my SGS. Shame I'll never get a 'real' ICS out of Samsung, par for the course though and the reason why I don't expect I'll ever buy a non-google branded phone again.

its not the launchers problem that it doesn't recognize random third party scrollable widget programming.

Lumine

yup, should be fine with SDHC cards then. Not sure how much internal memory is in that phone, but if you are only going to use the SD Card to store pictures, movies/music you could probably avoid buying the highest class to save some cash, although i'm not sure of the price differences between a class 6 and a 10.

Get the fastest class card you can afford. You can get some really cheap cards but if they're < class 6 it will be an exercise in frustration in getting data (music, videos etc) to and from it since it will be so slow.

I bought a cheap card and I regret even using it since it's so slow. it's ok to use for storing small files, etc but copying music to it is really annoying.

Alright, thanks. I guess I'll be going for class 6, 10 seems a bit of a jump in price. I might actually go with 32gb instead of 16.
Any brand should be fine then?

gcubed

Alright, thanks. I guess I'll be going for class 6, 10 seems a bit of a jump in price. I might actually go with 32gb instead of 16.
Any brand should be fine then?

read reviews from where you are buying it from. Sandisk/Kingston/Transcend should all be fine. No namers are where you want to tread carefully

pr0cs

its not the launchers problem that it doesn't recognize random third party scrollable widget programming.

I'm not sure if I'd call it 'random third party' as pretty much any other launch that supports scrolling widgets work, just not 4.0's launcher. ie: there must be some standard that is agreed upon if all the other launchers work, just not Googles.
Chances are the 'official' spec for that sort of widget has changed in 4.0 and the 3rd party ones aren't using that new spec.

gcubed

I'm not sure if I'd call it 'random third party' as pretty much any other launch that supports scrolling widgets work, just not 4.0's launcher. ie: there must be some standard that is agreed upon if all the other launchers work, just not Googles.
Chances are the 'official' spec for that sort of widget has changed in 4.0 and the 3rd party ones aren't using that new spec.

does it work in 3.0? I would assume its the same but you never know

Revoh

Is there a way to make Opera Mobile to stay on RAM all the time? It's really annoying to get off the browser, open twitter/some app, then open Opera again and load all the pages again losing time and bandwidth.

Mafro

Twitter app has been updated with a slightly new layout. Not sure if I like the new version, lists had been replaced with "discover" and you have to go into your profile to get to lists.

gcubed

Twitter app has been updated with a slightly new layout. Not sure if I like the new version, lists had been replaced with "discover" and you have to go into your profile to get to lists.

there are only a few more reporters/people i need to go to G+ to be able to stop using twitter

Threi

notag
Is there a way to make Opera Mobile to stay on RAM all the time? It's really annoying to get off the browser, open twitter/some app, then open Opera again and load all the pages again losing time and bandwidth.

Try enabling the exit button, then just pressing home to get out rather than back.

JonnyBrad

The big blue bar with the twitter icon seems a little out of place. Unlike facebook the twitter app has been good for a while.

Mafro

The big blue bar with the twitter icon seems a little out of place. Unlike facebook the twitter app has been good for a while.
Yeah I preferred the previous version, it was probably the best official mobile Twitter app I've used out of Android, iOS and BlackBerry.

New 10c/10p apps up;

ADWLauncher EX
Space Physics
Toki Tori
Talking Tom Cat 2
Homerun Battle 3D
Blue Skies Wallpaper
Kids Learn to Read
Can Knockdown 2
Tetris
Reckless Getaway

fuenf

Are there any recommended (free) themes for ADW Launcher EX? I'm a Go Launcher EX user (love it) but bought ADW anyway, i mean it's 10c and it might be useful someday but after installing it i dont even have a phone icon on the screen. I certainly dont wanna customize it myself.

SimleuqiR

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/8/2...oid-and-ios-offers-magazines-from-forbes-fast

Google just introduced an interesting new magazine application called Currents for Android and iOS devices, which feels very much like the company's riff on social readers like Flipboard or Pulse.

KUtoToAPHGzmR3QhY-0ap8CqjgrqfIouUNdaLkGJkrfbQ0i1g3TBONIywq6HOykN_UU

Interesting.

Edit:

And then I read this:

Your favorite blogs and feeds - Instantly, turn your Google Reader subscriptions, or any of your favorite blogs/feeds into a beautiful edition with a magazine feel.

/squeals like a girl!!

Threi

notag
im using the minimalistic theme myself. There are endless amounts of themes available on xda forums, but this is the quickest one i could find on the android market that i liked:

(the only thing that is enabled in the theme is the icons)

fuenf

im using the minimalistic theme myself. There are endless amounts of themes available on xda forums, but this is the quickest one i could find on the android market that i liked:

is that adw? it looks amazing :) guess i'll have to spend the time to customize adw.
care to share the link to the theme?

gcubed

GODDAMNIT. I've been using Pulse for like a year now. Someone tell me if it's a valid replacement.

wait, is that the apk?

i guess if you arent in the US.

Its actually pretty freaking awesome, just limited at the moment with content. Can't figure out how to get my google reader subscriptions in it either

giga

App is crap. Slows down when scrolling (which is horizontal instead of vertical. why google?) and you can only individually add different feeds from your google reader.

Clipjoint

Does it actually sync with Google Reader? Seems like I have to add all of my feeds manually. If it only pulls unread content, this will be the greatest app of all time.

reKon

Banned

how do you get the days of the week on the side?

kehs

Banned
This is pretty interesting, considering the conversation yesterday about instapaper.

e: I think I'm replacing pulse with this.

I'm wondering if they are just scraping or if this is opt in from the sources.

It's opt in, awesome, they've kept this pretty quiet, I'm surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom