• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arken2121

Verizon has great coverage and speeds (on LTE, 3G marginally faster than Sprint, obviously depending on area).

I didn't mind Sprint at all when I had them, I switched to Verizon in March since LTE was going to be in my area. I never had a negative experience with either. Carrier choice is 90% area dependent though so ask around.

Would you recommend the razr or nexus for a first time smart phone user?

Any update notes?

Can't look at facebook from work.
Today we're launching an updated Facebook app for Android. It's now quicker and easier to view photos, get messages and navigate around the app.

Photos get better
Photos and albums are up to two times faster than the previous Android app. It's also easier to share photos, view comments and edit captions on the go.

Messages on top
Your messages and notifications are now at the top of your screen. You can respond to friends and stay updated without leaving the page you're on.

Menu on the side
You can quickly access your News Feed, Groups, games and apps from the new left-hand menu. The features you use most are now at your fingertips.

Get the App
Facebook for Android is available on Android Market. We're excited about the new app, and we hope you check it out.

you can tag people when you upload pictures (unsure if that was there already or not).

Flash

wow the new fb app is so much better! it's actually quick and responsive.

the old one was totally unusable lol i always checked my fb through the browser

Blackhead

Redarse
Marco:

Standing Up For Android
Shifty Jelly’s counterargument to some of my Android opinions, which provides a concrete data point showing that money can be made on Android, concludes with this:

Finally, we’d like to publicly challenge Marco Arment to bring Instapaper to Android and drop the negative attitude. We’ll bet you one large cup of our finest Australian Coffee that you’ll be pleasantly surprised by just how great the Google Market is. In many ways it’s a better place to be than iOS, since so many developers are ignoring it, and yet there is a massive install base waiting to give you their money.

I can’t afford to invest months of development time into learning the platform and making an Android app, then supporting and maintaining it in parallel with my iOS app indefinitely, with so many other data points telling me that it almost certainly won’t be worth the investment.

So I’ll make it more interesting. Instapaper has a public API. I’m not aware of any good, stable, feature-rich Android Instapaper clients that actually use it and aren’t just ripping off my iOS app’s private API.

If you make the first great Android Instapaper client that:

• uses the official API
  • contains a significant portion of the iOS app’s features, the details of which we’d work out privately
  • runs on a wide variety of Android devices and OS versions including modern smartphones, the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet, and whichever 10” tablet matters at the time of completion
  • is priced at $2.99 or higher in the U.S. with approximately equivalent pricing elsewhere, and satisfies requirements to be sold in the Google Marketplace, Amazon Appstore, and whatever B&N uses for the Nook Tablet

I’ll call it the official Instapaper app for Android, I’ll promote it on the Instapaper site, I’ll drop the subscription requirement for its API access, you’ll answer all support email that comes from it, and we’ll split the net revenue 50/50.

What do you say?​

... *smh*

dream

Marco:

Standing Up For Android
Shifty Jelly’s counterargument to some of my Android opinions, which provides a concrete data point showing that money can be made on Android, concludes with this:

I can’t afford to invest months of development time into learning the platform and making an Android app, then supporting and maintaining it in parallel with my iOS app indefinitely, with so many other data points telling me that it almost certainly won’t be worth the investment.

So I’ll make it more interesting. Instapaper has a public API. I’m not aware of any good, stable, feature-rich Android Instapaper clients that actually use it and aren’t just ripping off my iOS app’s private API.

• uses the official API
  • contains a significant portion of the iOS app’s features, the details of which we’d work out privately
  • runs on a wide variety of Android devices and OS versions including modern smartphones, the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet, and whichever 10” tablet matters at the time of completion
  • is priced at $2.99 or higher in the U.S. with approximately equivalent pricing elsewhere, and satisfies requirements to be sold in the Google Marketplace, Amazon Appstore, and whatever B&N uses for the Nook Tablet

I’ll call it the official Instapaper app for Android, I’ll promote it on the Instapaper site, I’ll drop the subscription requirement for its API access, you’ll answer all support email that comes from it, and we’ll split the net revenue 50/50.

What do you say?​

... *smh*

That seems more than fair to me and I hope someone (hopefully Ryan Watkins of Paper Mache fame) decides to take on the challenge.

Threi

notag
Any thoughts on Browsers? I'm sure it's talked about often but some searching didn't bring up anything substantial or recent.

I'm liking Firefox but for whatever reason the google page it pulls up looks terrible. Like some sort of WAP/Classic hybrid, and not the traditional mobile site you would get with any other browser.

I use opera mobile with turbo enabled (except on wifi)

loads gaf just fine, doesn't kill my data allowance.

Also has an exit button so it doesn't stay in memory.

And handles tabs pretty well.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What's so great about Instapaper? Aren't there like a bunch of apps that already do the same thing?

Blackhead

Redarse
Looks like the Facebook app update will be out sometime soon https://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=10150393505147131
no menu button?! :O Is this the first major app to add support for ICS?

What's so great about Instapaper? Aren't there like a bunch of apps that already do the same thing?
It was the first. That's, uh, basically it.

That seems more than fair to me and I hope someone (hopefully Ryan Watkins of Paper Mache fame) decides to take on the challenge.
that sounds like exploitation to me and I hope no one is foolish enough to take him up on it.

kehs

Banned
is priced at $2.99 or higher in the U.S. with approximately equivalent pricing elsewhere, and satisfies requirements to be sold in the Google Marketplace, Amazon Appstore, and whatever B&N uses for the Nook Tablet

Haha.

Oh wow.

e²: I'm kinda drunk dream so, brodock?

Marco:

Standing Up For Android

• uses the official API

What do you say?​

... *smh*

If you look at some of his other posts and Twitter comments he's just an anthing-that-isn't-Apple troll like Gruber and MG Siegler, and he has the balls to ask for a 50% cut? Fuck him. Just use Pulse or Read It Later Pro (it's on sale today for $0.10, too).

dream

that sounds like exploitation to me and I hope no one is foolish enough to take him up on it.

Why? He's letting them use his brand and the private API that generally requires users of third party Instapaper clients to have a paid subscription.

Besides, I thought Android developers were usually all open source and GPL and informationshouldbefreeman. Here's their chance to finally make some money!

kehs

Banned
Why? He's letting them use his brand and the private API that generally requires users of third party Instapaper clients to have a paid subscription.

Besides, I thought Android developers were usually all open source and GPL and informationshouldbefreeman. Here's their chance to finally make some money!

Instapaper was derived from a time where popular internet devices(I use the term loosely) lacked proper capabilities to save something for later or share it elsewhere.

They'll make like five bucks.

dream

Maybe at a fundamental level, yeah, but for people who are really into Instapaper, it's really more like you're editing your own personal magazine. The social browsing stuff is surprisingly fun too, not to mention the fact that it actually makes the content on horrible web pages readable (which has been sherlocked by pretty much everyone).

Instapaper is the killer app for me and my barrista friends.

Blackhead

Redarse
Or you could say he's getting someone to work for free on an official Android port of the Instapaper app and test the waters if there's any demand while still keeping open the possibility of swooping in later and getting rid of the middle man. A salary of some sorts, even if the app flops, should be required and I'd choose a 70/30 split too because that's the Apple thing to do.

... not funny. Not even clever as a developer truly interested in open source and the gpl would ask to see Marco's instapaper source code which he wouldn't share (Marco already said as much when he described his previous deal with arc90 for the readability app)

dream

The thing is, Instapaper is both a service and an application. It's not really unreasonable for Marco to ask for a 50/50 split when he's dropping the subscription requirement for access to the private Instapaper API (which passes the savings on to the customer).

And within the Apple community, Instapaper is very well supported. I joke about Android developers not knowing what it's like to make money but I think there's a lot of profit potential just from being christened the official Instapaper app for Android because this hypothetical app would have a level of quality beyond junk like "EverPaper" and "AndReader" and "HardCopy" and whatever other crap I've had the misfortune of using.

PS: here's the Wall Street Journal explaining why Instapaper rules better than I could, Coperdickus.

kehs

Banned
The thing is, Instapaper is both a service and an application. It's not really unreasonable for Marco to ask for a 50/50 split when he's dropping the subscription requirement for access to the private Instapaper API (which passes the savings on to the customer).

And within the Apple community, Instapaper is very well supported. I joke about Android developers not knowing what it's like to make money but I think there's a lot of profit potential just from being christened the official Instapaper app for Android because this hypothetical app would have a level of quality beyond junk like "EverPaper" and "AndReader" and "HardCopy" and whatever other crap I've had the misfortune of using.

Are you talking about:

Over 140 iPhone and iPad apps support sending pages directly to Instapaper

Because literally every app would support sending pages directly to Instapaper on android....... if they would just make an actual app.

That would be User > third party app > instapaper to handle content from another third party. It just seems ridiculous.

How about User > Instapaper. The problem is that instapaper doesn't have a business model other than stripping ads views from content viewers other than directly charging for stripping ad views.

The lack of free inter app operability is makes instapaper so viable...as long as they stay inside of wall gardens.

dream

What's the alternative, though? Syncing a custom set of bookmarks across devices? That doesn't give me an offline queue. Saving html files in Dropbox or Evernote? That's janky as fuck. There's always going to be an inherent level of proprietary...ness when it comes to timeshifting web content. Maybe it's just the creative barista in me, but I think Instapaper does it a lot better than clones like Read It Later or Readability.

kehs

Banned
I guess it's just a difference of content viewing. I don't mind ads, or shitty layouts when I'm seeking out specific content. Sure it'd be awesome to have it look cleaner look, but it's not deal breaking for me. If the content can't supersede the shitty flashads blaring off to the side well you're content wasn't that interesting to being with. Maybe it has to do with time management as well. I don't really set time aside to do certain things so I don't really have a need to readitlater during my tablet time or laptop time or smartphone time.

Ideally marco would at least just release an android url catcher(that literally every app can use), even if it's not a full client.

The audacity, though, to put up a "challenge" to use your API so you can rake 50% profits? That's some hipster OWS videotaping cops with ipads type shit.

dream

Well, there's nothing stopping Android developers from sending urls to Instapaper in their apps. Pulse does it.

I guess the thing about the challenge is Marco probably doesn't give a shit if there's an official Instapaper app for Android or not; he's doing fine selling the iOS client and collecting $1/mo from users of other clients that go through the API. I just don't think it's out of order for him to want 50% in exchange for pimpage and dropping the subscription requirement.

I mean, people are writing awful clients with reduced functionality anyway...and you'd have to imagine that most of them aren't selling many copies.

PS: my barista friends all agree that the best camera is the one you have with you.

So after playing with ICS on my Incredible I have to say I really like it. The rom I am using is fast. I have a few apps that don't work yet, bits of slowness or glitches at times, random reboots every now and then (but the boot up on this rom is quick), and I can't get the phone to connect to my ad-hoc network, but other than that it is good and I can't go back to CM7 (can't wait for CM9!). I just wish the widgets scaled better. With the Incredible's 3.7" screen, the calendar and gmail apps don't work so well. And also I wish the search bar could be removed since the Incredible has a search button on the phone.

What's the alternative, though? Syncing a custom set of bookmarks across devices? That doesn't give me an offline queue. Saving html files in Dropbox or Evernote? That's janky as fuck. There's always going to be an inherent level of proprietary...ness when it comes to timeshifting web content. Maybe it's just the creative barista in me, but I think Instapaper does it a lot better than clones like Read It Later or Readability.
Read It Later is good too, don't diss it. I have an account for Instapaper too but don't use it anymore.

Blackhead

Redarse
Well, there's nothing stopping Android developers from sending urls to Instapaper in their apps. Pulse does it.

I guess the thing about the challenge is Marco probably doesn't give a shit if there's an official Instapaper app for Android or not; he's doing fine selling the iOS client and collecting $1/mo from users of other clients that go through the API. I just don't think it's out of order for him to want 50% in exchange for pimpage and dropping the subscription requirement.

I mean, people are writing awful clients with reduced functionality anyway...and you'd have to imagine that most of them aren't selling many copies.

PS: my barista friends all agree that the best camera is the one you have with you.

Could you list all the Android Instapaper clients, and over apps with similar functionality, that you've purchased?

Anyway, looks like you got your wish:

martinadamek said:

Charles

Hi guys has anyone found any custom ICS roms for the SGS2? There are decent ones for the Galaxy S, so I assumed there'd be one for it's big brother too.

JonnyBrad

Hi guys has anyone found any custom ICS roms for the SGS2? There are decent ones for the Galaxy S, so I assumed there'd be one for it's big brother too.

The rom's are in development hell as they can't get the mic working on phonecalls (kind of a deal breaker)

So until either samsung gives up the driver (they won't as its not there's to give) or an ICS rom leaks from them you likely won't be seeing it.

http://codeworkx.de/wordpress/

Mafro

no menu button?! :O Is this the first major app to add support for ICS?
There is a menu button. The usual settings for notifications and stuff but no contact sync, of course.

Read It Later is good too, don't diss it. I have an account for Instapaper too but don't use it anymore.
Read It Later is fine, but it doesn't work properly on websites that require you to login to see content. It only gives you the full website view rather than the simplified one.

Google+ has also been updated:
What's in this version:
Search
+1 photos
+1 comments
High resolution photo upload support
See if someone's online and currently typing in Messenger conversations
Start Messenger conversations by just entering a phone number
Links to posts or profiles can now open inside of the app
Instant Upload supports videos again
Several stability improvements and bug fixes

Marco:

Standing Up For Android

• uses the official API

What do you say?​

... *smh*

lol, so he wants to go 50/50 while someone else does all the hard work?

BRILLIANT MOVE!!!

i'm sure several random Android devs will jump at the chance, some would do it for less i bet.

JonnyBrad

new facebook is delightful, but notifications still suck

You can get all the other notifications (ie when someone posts a comment on your status) by logging into facebook on a blackberry and turning them all on. I get all the notifications now heh.

I have no idea why notifications on android facebook are so shit. They're just lazy.

tino

Banned
He really should have hired someone to write the android. version. This is no way to do a business. This is leading to very ugly split in the future.

I bet the Android guy will have a fall out with that smug dude and stop paying him. And he will blame Android for it.

Thanks for info on the Plan B and Lookout apps GAF! Another question, has anyone ever bought an app that was incompatible with their phone? The market won't let me buy NFL Rivals for Galaxy S =(

panda21

Read It Later is fine, but it doesn't work properly on websites that require you to login to see content. It only gives you the full website view rather than the simplified one.

how does instapaper handle that? readitlater detects that some of my articles are from websites that require logins and offers me to log in.

Because literally every app would support sending pages directly to Instapaper on android....... if they would just make an actual app.

That would be User > third party app > instapaper to handle content from another third party. It just seems ridiculous.

How about User > Instapaper. The problem is that instapaper doesn't have a business model other than stripping ads views from content viewers other than directly charging for stripping ad views.

The lack of free inter app operability is makes instapaper so viable...as long as they stay inside of wall gardens.

i get that you are saying the model for instapaper wouldn't work on android, but i have no idea why? of course the whole point of instapaper is stripping ad views? you pay for the app to do that and thats how they make money.

Mafro

how does instapaper handle that? readitlater detects that some of my articles are from websites that require logins and offers me to log in.
Instapaper just treats them the same as any other website. For example, I subscribe to Figure Four Online for the newsletters (which are behind a pay wall) and I always use Instapaper to read them them on my iPad and it works fine, but this is what I get when I use Read It Later Pro:

Wsfmcl.png

The full web page view works fine, but the text view doesn't work at all.

EDIT: Oh, the "Manage Site Accounts" section in settings is currently incompatible with Android 3.0 or higher. That's cool :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom