• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well, their sources leading up to the galaxy nexus announcement were spot on. (at least as far as the last batch of rumours going around before the thing was actually unveiled) And this does fit in line with what we know, though I was much more expecting everyone to jump to 1920x1200 before 2560x1600.

Fuck BGR.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
maybe it's something I did by adding a shit load of apps and launchers but google music is buggy as hell on google tv.

kehs

Banned
Question to anyone who can answer. Been using Android & Google Music for nearly two weeks now and it's amazing. Only problem is that the music stored on my music locker isn't updating to show up on my phone. Went into settings and tapped the option to refresh music list and still nothing. Must be doing something wrong. Any help?

Love Android btw. Bought more apps this week on the Market thanks to the sale than I bought on iOS. Ever.

Have you double checked that your music is set to sync under account settings?

popeutlal

Alright, I can't use Opera on a tablet anymore. When you zoom into a page and click the back button it zooms out rather than going back. So you need to hit back twice to go back to the previous page.

And accessing bookmarks sucks too.

Switching to Dolphin or Boat browser instead.

tino

Banned
Alright, I can't use Opera on a tablet anymore. When you zoom into a page and click the back button it zooms out rather than going back. So you need to hit back twice to go back to the previous page.

And accessing bookmarks sucks too.

Switching to Dolphin or Boat browser instead.

Dolphin mini or Firefox, best bookmark/tab management browsers.

another day, another 3 apps bought.
Handy thing about having two android devices is that if an app isn't compatible with one, I can grab it with the other.

thetechkid

can't open up my Android Market and Amazon Apps Market, both will fc right away. anybody experiencing this???

I am as well, also all my apps I have that are moved to the SD card force close with an error, and I get errors saying there is no SD card but its inserted into the phone. I tried taking it out and reinserting it but does not work.

Fuck. So yesterday this randomly popped up in my notifications area: "Free Prize Unclaimed: You've Been Selected At Random to Win...." So apparently I got some sort of adware installed. It showed up again today. How can I find it and kill it? The only apps I've installed recently are from the Google $.10 promo but I'd be surprised if it came from there. Running HTC Inspire 4G with Gingerbread.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fuck. So yesterday this randomly popped up in my notifications area: "Free Prize Unclaimed: You've Been Selected At Random to Win...." So apparently I got some sort of adware installed. It showed up again today. How can I find it and kill it? The only apps I've installed recently are from the Google $.10 promo but I'd be surprised if it came from there. Running HTC Inspire 4G with Gingerbread.

https://market.android.com/details?...SwxLDEsImNvbS5kZW5wZXIuYWRkb25zZGV0ZWN0b3IiXQ..

thetechkid

Now besides all of the apps I had moved to my SD card, the apps that were are the phone all no longer work and all force close. I can only run gmail, the android market, and the camera.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks. Do you know if there's one service in particular I should look for? All the apps listed with ad services are ones I've had on my phone for months, so it's hard to know which is the culprit.

The weird fucking thing is googling "Free Prize Unclaimed" only gives 3 results, the first of which is my post! I can't believe I'm the only one in the world to get this.

hahah, most of the ones on this list are pretty aggressive. airpush is the most common culprit:

#Push Notifications#
AirPush
Appenda
LeadBolt
Moolah Media
TapIt
Urban Airship
Xtify

jobber

Google TV is so good now. I've sideloaded a bunch of app and Music is working great now. I tried to add on an external 320gb hdd to it and it was getting bogged down checking for errors. So much so that the entire box froze up. I put a 16 gig flash drive in and it works great!

The logitech media player now plays almost every format I have. I haven't tried mkv yet but it's an app out that that will.

The Chrome browser is 10 times better than the old version.

The only trip up is getting LaunchPro working correctly. That and Live Wallpapers are hit and miss. They work in the preview and once you set it, nothing happens.

kehs

Banned
Google TV is so good now. I've sideloaded a bunch of app and Music is working great now. I tried to add on an external 320gb hdd to it and it was getting bogged down checking for errors. So much so that the entire box froze up. I put a 16 gig flash drive in and it works great!

The logitech media player now plays almost every format I have. I haven't tried mkv yet but it's an app out that that will.

The Chrome browser is 10 times better than the old version.

The only trip up is getting LaunchPro working correctly. That and Live Wallpapers are hit and miss. They work in the preview and once you set it, nothing happens.

Can you see network shares from Google TV?

jobber

Can you see network shares from Google TV?

you mean streaming stuff from a LAN or NAS? yes. That's how I tested the video codec. I have a NAS on my network and a media server. Found both with the media player. I can access the revue via the built in FTP client.

kehs

Banned
you mean streaming stuff from a LAN or NAS? yes. That's how I tested the video codec. I have a NAS on my network and a media server. Found both with the media player. I can access the revue via the built in FTP client.

Awesome, thats good to know

reKon

Banned
Whatsapp owns.

Is there any wifi texting app better than this? I'm in the basement of a lib at my campus and I wanted to quickly find some way to do wifi texting since I get no signal, then I found this. I have no problem paying $2 a year if it works well all the time.

zbeeb

Whatsapp owns.

Is there any wifi texting app better than this? I'm in the basement of a lib at my campus and I wanted to quickly find some way to do wifi texting since I get no signal, then I found this. I have no problem paying $2 a year if it works well all the time.
Try viber for wifi texting and calling. Its free!

jobber

Whatsapp owns.

Viber as mentioned is free..also it's GrooveIP that lets you use your google voice for free voip calling, heywire, textPlus, and text me for free texting.

jobber

Last gripe about GTV today. I have 515mb of internal space and after I installed Currents, I had 35mb of space which set off the low storage alert. So I was looking at my apps and saw what was eating space. Music eats up 290mb of space and Currents takes up 90mbs of space. It doesn't eat that much on any of my phones. Anyway, after a few minutes, my internal space went from 35mb free to 205mbs free. That's with those apps still taking up space.

I have no idea what's going on there but everything still works.

Pctx

Banned
Whatsapp owns.

Pretty much this.
I text my wife on her iphone with whatsapp
and I haven't had any issues.

What are some good apps/methods for configuring which apps start up when I turn on the phone? There are a handful of apps that I don't use that came with the phone - they start up in the background whenever I boot up the phone. RAM isn't an issue yet but I want to deal with this before it does become an issue.

Is rooting the phone required?

ana

Thanks. Do you know if there's one service in particular I should look for? All the apps listed with ad services are ones I've had on my phone for months, so it's hard to know which is the culprit.

The weird fucking thing is googling "Free Prize Unclaimed" only gives 3 results, the first of which is my post! I can't believe I'm the only one in the world to get this.

For me airPush was culprit on Mysettings-app when it was updated little while ago...

Some adds are ok in the app itself but notification area should be free of them..

panda21

so apparently ICS for SGS2 should be coming in some form by the end of next week :D can't wait. the design of currents looks like it perfectly matches ICS too.

Does anyone know if there's a difference between the Google Talk app and the Google+ Messenger app? If all your Talk contacts are also Google+ users, does it make the Google Talk app redundant?

Oozer3993

What are some good apps/methods for configuring which apps start up when I turn on the phone? There are a handful of apps that I don't use that came with the phone - they start up in the background whenever I boot up the phone. RAM isn't an issue yet but I want to deal with this before it does become an issue.

Is rooting the phone required?

I think Autostarts is what you're looking for. And rooting is required.

so apparently ICS for SGS2 should be coming in some form by the end of next week :D can't wait. the design of currents looks like it perfectly matches ICS too.

Dagnabbit Google, hurry up with ICS for Nexus S. Don't want to flash a custom ROM, and if other devices beat the Nexus series to it I will be very disappointed.

I don't think Android tabs will topple iPad anytime soon, but that's kind of a shitty article. It's pretty much "it won't win because I said so"

Thats what I got from it too. People seem to think that Google should care about hardware. Why? They are a software vendor and as loong as many devices carry their OS they are happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom