• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda21

if it has a translucent thing for the buttons, what is in the big block underneath them? it doesn't look like there are any wires going through it. seems like a waste of space

MMaRsu

Hey guys I need some help.. I tried updating my GS2 through Wifi today, it says it would install the update but no such luck. Also, I cant update through Kies ( just installed this today ) because it says the device is unrecognizable or unsupportable? I tried removing the SD card, disabling wifi before reinstalling Kies but no luck.

Is there a program to update the SGII with new official firmware through other means than Kies? If I try to install the new update with Wifi it says there was an issue with the installation and I should try Kies.

Good morning guys. I have a quick question!

I'm interested in buying my mom an Android tablet for Christmas, as I see one by Motorola that comes with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for a decent price. How user friendly is Android?

All she would do is browse the web and do some word processing. She uses Microsoft Office often for lists, spreadsheets, and whatnot.

Would she have a problem learning and understanding Android for all she needs to do? Or should I look into getting her an iPad (although I read that the iPad does not have a bluetooth mouse interface)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Good morning guys. I have a quick question!

I'm interested in buying my mom an Android tablet for Christmas, as I see one by Motorola that comes with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for a decent price. How user friendly is Android?

All she would do is browse the web and do some word processing. She uses Microsoft Office often for lists, spreadsheets, and whatnot.

Would she have a problem learning and understanding Android for all she needs to do? Or should I look into getting her an iPad (although I read that the iPad does not have a bluetooth mouse interface)

Keyboard and mouse work pretty great with android and I use mine all the time for work. If she gets splashtop streamer she can also use them with remote desktop which is is pretty awesome.

And it's pretty user friendly. Honeycomb is fairly straight forward to use.

Argyle

The talk thing that is similar to siri that they have on the galaxy S2, is that a samsung thing or an android thing? It's the thing in this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riKh1eY1XWM&feature=relmfu#t=2m32s

Is that just google voice thing or is it something special? Some of the reviews made it sound like it was something different but I'm not sure. I'm just curious if that will be on the galaxy nexus.

It's Vlingo - I think you can just download it from the Market (I have a Galaxy S2), they have been doing this for years and years (there is even a Vlingo app for Symbian)...

I will say that the version that came on my Galaxy S2 is way better than the version I downloaded on my Galaxy S, no idea if it was any particular Galaxy S2 customization or just that the new version is a lot better.

Market link:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.vlingo.client&hl=en

It's Vlingo - I think you can just download it from the Market (I have a Galaxy S2), they have been doing this for years and years (there is even a Vlingo app for Symbian)...

I will say that the version that came on my Galaxy S2 is way better than the version I downloaded on my Galaxy S, no idea if it was any particular Galaxy S2 customization or just that the new version is a lot better.

Market link:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.vlingo.client&hl=en

Ah, is that just Vlingo? I have another question for a little while but I'm afraid it will not go smoothly... Are there any major apps/functions that the iPhone has that an android phone has or vice versa or are they pretty much the same? I know like android has spoken directions when using the maps thing where as on iPhone it just shows the route and doesn't talk to you. Siri is pretty much the same as Vlingo, etc.

Edit: Ya, the one in the video looked better that's why I was wondering if it was something special or just regular vlingo. I thought one review said they worked with Samsung to customize it for the S2 but I don't remember for sure. :/

cajunator

Banned
whatever the voice program is, it really works.
I said to it "send message "Fuck you shithead" to my brother and it works!
Marvelous technology.

whatever the voice program is, it really works.
I said to it "send message "Fuck you shithead" to my brother and it works!
Marvelous technology.

Human kind fighting hard on the technological front so that we.... we may watch videos of kitties playing with yarn balls and send "Fuck you shithead" to our brothers. Glorious.

Danj

Is there a website anywhere that lets you search phones by features? Like, supposing I know some of the things I want my phone to have, is there a website where I can select those and it'll come up with a list of all current phones that have that or better?

ChanHuk

Banned
Anybody here have the HTC Evo View? Its eBay's daily deal at $240 shipped. Thinking about picking one up for my grandparents to do Skype. Rather get them an iPad 2 but simply can't afford $500.

TxdoHawk

Just get the Nexus. You're going to be signing a contract promising Verizon thousands of dollars, what is an extra $300 to ensure that you have the most up to date and future proof phone?

This. Android phones are becoming old news in mere months, you don't want to already put yourself behind the curve on day 1 of a two-year contract, not with how stingy carriers and manufacturers have been with OS upgrades.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This. Android phones are becoming old news in mere months, you don't want to already put yourself behind the curve on day 1 of a two-year contract, not with how stingy carriers and manufacturers have been with OS upgrades.
$300 x 2 phones would end up as 20% of my entire 2 year agreement. Or alternatively it would be like paying an extra $25 a month. It's actually a fairly substantial outlay.

TxdoHawk

$300 x 2 phones would end up as 20% of my entire 2 year agreement. Or alternatively it would be like paying an extra $25 a month. It's actually a fairly substantial outlay.

I can sympathize with this. But for me, I look at it this way: If I'm going to give VZW thousands of dollars for a smartphone plan, I want a phone that at least somewhat justifies the expense. Your mileage (and personal feelings) may vary, of course. I'm also on an individual plan, so the equation doesn't exactly work out the same.

I should really stop impulse buying.

I can't really use this revue I just bought. sigh.

Just return it, dude. "Smart TV" is just a half-assed combination of existing technologies that other devices do better, and bizarre widget-like toy stuff you'll never use. I don't know a single person happy with their purchase of this junk.

wario

The Faceless Master said:
kind of ridiculous to have that huge removable back plate just to access the sim slot...
if they were going the non-removable battery route, they should have gone with a uni-body design with the sim-card slot available on the side, top, or bottom.

panda21 said:
if it has a translucent thing for the buttons, what is in the big block underneath them? it doesn't look like there are any wires going through it. seems like a waste of space

they easily could have made the phone smaller. lose everything below the translucent strip and the phone's more pocket-able. heck, the actual buttons are capacitive buttons below the screen, i'd be okay if the front of the phone was just that.

MrBig

Whats the experience like when using an app designed for phone res and is there any way to tell whether apps will work well when using them on the larger 10" screens?

The modified kernals like tiamat offer better honescreen performance and application responsiveness. Over locking will obviously lower battery life a bit, but you will a slightly snappier xoom (especially if you use Widgets heavily).

I personally recommend using adw ex as a launcher replacement. Its fully hardware accelerated, and can handle twice as many scrollable honeycomb Widgets on a single screen without dropping below 60fps. Quite astounding, and a little sad at the same time.

Just bought it. How do i put the dock on the right side in landscape mode? I saw a youtube video with it like that, but after looking around the settings i cant find it.

Doopliss

Whats the experience like when using an app designed for phone res and is there any way to tell whether apps will work well when using them on the larger 10" screens?
Most apps will draw at the correct resolution for the tablet, but how usable they are depends on the UI. For example something like Google Maps which is just a bar at the top for controls and then one big pane to view the map works totally fine. Apps where you view lists of things (such as email or a settings screen) don't work so well as you'll just get a single list on screen at a time with lots of wasted space:

KiwPel.jpg

Most apps don't change their UI when run on a tablet, so just look the the screenshots and imagine the same thing but bigger. You have 15 minutes after buying an app during which you can get a refund, so you can always just try something out if you're not sure.

MrBig

Most apps will draw at the correct resolution for the tablet, but how usable they are depends on the UI. For example something like Google Maps which is just a bar at the top for controls and then one big pane to view the map works totally fine. Apps where you view lists of things (such as email or a settings screen) don't work so well as you'll just get a single list on screen at a time with lots of wasted space:

Most apps don't change their UI when run on a tablet, so just look the the screenshots and imagine the same thing but bigger. You have 15 minutes after buying an app during which you can get a refund, so you can always just try something out if you're not sure.

Thanks a lot. Good to know they can dynamically scale. The refund-trial sounds really great, now that I know about it I couldn't imagine how bad it would be without such a system :lol

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Submarino Conversível;33411606 said:
After having tested the Galaxy Note, is hard to not want it, even if I know for sure some pants wouldn't be able to hold it. I'm amazed at so much power and size!

you know you want to hold and manipulate it

jayb

I don't currently have an android tablet, but want to see what apps are available. So what's the best site to browse a full list of android apps optimized for tablets?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Funk, I may have asked you this before, but Note or GN? Why?

tino

Banned

If you are a little girl, get the Galaxy Nexus.

If you are a man, get the Note. If your Jeans pocket can carry a NDS, it can carry the Note.

Oh you are asking Funk, never mind then.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

I'm not gonna lie, it's a tough decision. I'd hate to use a car analogy here, but think of the Note as a Bentley...it's loaded, powerful, and aesthetically pleasing, but support is limited, and it's pricey. There aren't many roms available on XDA, and if you have issues, you might have trouble finding a resolution. But that screen, my god

Also, remember that the Note doesn't support Tmo's US bands (1700/2100).

The Nexus is more....like a car with a lot more support. It's more open, a lot of people own it, and you have Google's backing. You're getting less perks (screen, stylus, camera), but you're getting more roms, support, and ICS. When the Note gets ICS, it'll probably be uber though.

As far as size goes:
IMG_0564.jpg

They're not too far apart.

So, it may just be a matter of your needs. Of course, if you have Tmo US, you're decision's already been made.

Kagami

If you need storage space, the Note can give you up to 80GB (probably more in the future when bigger miscrosd cards come out), whereas the Nexus is limited to 16.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Wow. Personally, I think the Note makes the GN look like a normal-sized phone in that picture. ;)

Yeah, no joke. The Note looks massive in that picture. I didn't know there was anything out there that could make the GN look puny.

Thanks for that, Funk. My decision was made by TMo but just curious to hear your take on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom