• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesius

Guys, I really need some help with a smartphone purchase (Verizon).

I've been eligible for an upgrade for over a year and a half (been rocking a shitty, shitty LG Dare since November 2008), but for some reason I kept putting it off as I was waiting for the latest and greatest phone to arrive.

Well, it looks like that time is finally at hand with the Galaxy Nexus (at least whenever it finally releases). But at $300 with a two year contract -- well, it seems a bit expensive, especially when I can get either a Droid Incredible 2 or a Droid X2 for a penny on Amazon.

Being an Android/smartphone virgin, would I honestly be missing all that much by going with a cheaper phone?

I don't really plan on any heavy use -- mostly just GPS, streaming Pandora/downloaded songs to my car stereo, and light browsing while I'm out and about.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I've been eligible for an upgrade for over a year and a half (been rocking a shitty, shitty LG Dare since November 2008), but for some reason I kept putting it off as I was waiting for the latest and greatest phone to arrive.

Well, it looks like that time is finally at hand with the Galaxy Nexus (at least whenever it finally releases). But at $300 with a two year contract -- well, it seems a bit expensive, especially when I can get either a Droid Incredible 2 or a Droid X2 for a penny on Amazon.

Being an Android/smartphone virgin, would I honestly be missing all that much by going with a cheaper phone?

I don't really plan on any heavy use -- mostly just GPS, streaming Pandora/downloaded songs to my car stereo, and light browsing while I'm out and about.

Get the GN. What's $300? It'll be LTE, too. If anything, you can get the GN and trade it to someone here for a Droid Inc 2 plus cash.

Take the deal on a phone or wait for the price of the GN to go down.

You can't beat the price of a penny.

Aesius

Take the deal on a phone or wait for the price of the GN to go down.

You can't beat the price of a penny.

There's no way I can wait any longer. What are the chances Amazon might have a deal on the Nexus in say a month or so?

And realistically speaking -- if I went with a Droid X2 or an Incredible 2, what would I be missing that I would get on the GN? Bear in mind I have no experience with Android whatsoever, so ICS means basically nothing to me.

Oozer3993

Verizon currently has a deal for $100 off a 4G phone for select customers. Nobody is sure what the qualifications are, but one seems to be upgrading from a 3G phone to a 4G phone. You could try calling up customer service and asking about your upgrade and then inquiring about the $100 off deal. You just might be eligible.

Sky Chief

Just get the Nexus. You're going to be signing a contract promising Verizon thousands of dollars, what is an extra $300 to ensure that you have the most up to date and future proof phone?

reKon

Banned

check your account, I'm pretty sure that you should have a $50 discount and may be able to get $100 if that rumored $100 discount thing is true

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Is there anyway I can setup a video playlist? Maybe the VLC app does it, I havent tried.

I want to set up music videos playing back to back, like a song playlist would.

Threi

notag
since the Nexus S is getting it, will other galaxy s (1) variants be getting ICS or is it just that phone alone...for some strange reason?

kehs

Banned
since the Nexus S is getting it, will other galaxy s (1) variants be getting ICS or is it just that phone alone...for some strange reason?

Nexus S is getting it since it's handled(mostly) by Google. It'd be surprised if the international Galaxy S (handled by samsung) gets ICS, and super amazed if the US variants get it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I would not buy an Android phone with on screen buttons right now.

Forsete

Any app or function that syncs pictures like iCloud, but on an Android? I tried Box which is pretty cool, but it would be better if it automatically downloaded on my PC. And uploading lots of pics is a bit of a hassle from the phone (you select them one by one).

Husker86

Any app or function that syncs pictures like iCloud, but on an Android? I tried Box which is pretty cool, but it would be better if it automatically downloaded on my PC. And uploading lots of pics is a bit of a hassle from the phone (you select them one by one).

Google+ does it to Picasa

MrBig

Planning on getting a Thinkpad (32gb) soon. It will be my first android device.
Anything I should know? I know generally stuff about the OS through reviews/videos and through hands-on but have not used one extensively.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Planning on getting a Thinkpad (32gb) soon. It will be my first android device.
Anything I should know? I know generally stuff about the OS through reviews/videos and through hands-on but have not used one extensively.

You mean a Lenovo thinkpad tablet?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Does anyone know if there's a difference between the Google Talk app and the Google+ Messenger app? If all your Talk contacts are also Google+ users, does it make the Google Talk app redundant?

afaik, G+ messenger doesn't do video chat on phones yet. Talk does if your manufacturer remembers to update Talk in the 2.3+ updates(HTC forgot to do that in the last 3D update -_-)

I just learned that in the default GTV home screen, you can add widgets! So you can stream music while you watch tv.

MrBig

I have one. What are you buying it for?

The main selling point would certainly be the stylus. I want it for sketching/painting without having to carry around my 10 pound laptop + wacom tablet just to make some digital sketches.

The utility beyond that is what I'm mostly interested in finding out about

Divvy

The main selling point would certainly be the stylus. I want it for sketching/painting without having to carry around my 10 pound laptop + wacom tablet just to make some digital sketches.

The utility beyond that is what I'm mostly interested in finding out about
Thats what I bought mine for too. And I would say that you should wait for the next batch of tegra3 tabs to come out. Its not that its bad, its pretty good, its that Lenovo support sucks. They've been pretty poor about updates so far. I know motor's xyboards will have stylus input too.

I can answer more questions when I get home in an hour.

MrBig

Thats what I bought mine for too. And I would say that you should wait for the next batch of tegra3 tabs to come out. Its not that its bad, its pretty good, its that Lenovo support sucks. They've been pretty poor about updates so far. I know motor's xyboards will have stylus input too.

I can answer more questions when I get home in an hour.
I was doing some research on it yesterday and found a bunch of people saying they had received quit a few support updates to the device. Also a dev on the Lenovo forums confirmed an upgrade to 4.0 in March, as well as asking for consumer input on changes.

When will the new xyboards be available (if they are available off-contract?)

Divvy

I was doing some research on it yesterday and found a bunch of people saying they had received quit a few support updates to the device. Also a dev on the Lenovo forums confirmed an upgrade to 4.0 in March, as well as asking for consumer input on changes.

When will the new xyboards be available (if they are available off-contract?)

There's only been one update so far that was a pretty big fiasco since at first it bricked people's tablet's. I frequent those boards, and I wouldn't put too much stock into what the devs say, they've been consistently wrong so far.

Don't get me wrong, the tablet is great, it's just obviously Lenovo's first shot at a tablet and I think they could do better support wise.

As for the stylus, it's pretty good, but it does depend on the app. One of the best apps is Quill which is an excellent sketching app that is constantly being improved. Sketchbook pro is good for painting, but has pretty crappy handwriting recognition so it's a bit frustrating to use. The thing is brilliant at simple sketching, but not quite there for detail work.

The only other thing is that Lenovo obviously made it for corporate use, so it's heavily secured which means it isn't getting rooted any time some so forget about that.

I'm not sure when the Xyboards come out, maybe in 2-3 months?

Oozer3993

There's only been one update so far that was a pretty big fiasco since at first it bricked people's tablet's. I frequent those boards, and I wouldn't put too much stock into what the devs say, they've been consistently wrong so far.

Don't get me wrong, the tablet is great, it's just obviously Lenovo's first shot at a tablet and I think they could do better support wise.

As for the stylus, it's pretty good, but it does depend on the app. One of the best apps is Quill which is an excellent sketching app that is constantly being improved. Sketchbook pro is good for painting, but has pretty crappy handwriting recognition so it's a bit frustrating to use. The thing is brilliant at simple sketching, but not quite there for detail work.

The only other thing is that Lenovo obviously made it for corporate use, so it's heavily secured which means it isn't getting rooted any time some so forget about that.

I'm not sure when the Xyboards come out, maybe in 2-3 months?

Both Droid XYBOARD models will be available at Verizon stores tomorrow. But those are 4G models and will be pretty expensive without a plan.

Motorola have clever people in charge of coming up with names for their devices.

They also have the worst software developers on Earth. Unless CyanogenMod is available for the device, DO NOT BUY MOTOROLA.

MrBig

Can't find any info if it has pen pressure though. Weird thing to omit.

Looks like it doesn't to me. http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/12/xoom2reviewxoomwhatmat600.jpg

But anyway, concerning using the Thinkpad for art applications, is there any reason that I shouldn't buy this, and is there anything that it isn't capable of doing (considering the limited range of hardware/software)
The business aspect of the tablet is also what caught my eye over the normal consumer-level stuff, so that is a plus to me.

Divvy

Looks like it doesn't to me. http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/12/xoom2reviewxoomwhatmat600.jpg

But anyway, concerning using the Thinkpad for art applications, is there any reason that I shouldn't buy this, and is there anything that it isn't capable of doing (considering the limited range of hardware/software)

For art, like I said, it's great for sketching, but harder for detail work as the accuracy of the touchscreen just isn't there. It's not bad by any means, just don't expect it to be like a cintiq.

As for other stuff, it's just as capable as any other android tablet with the exception of root access. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it? For me, the browsing is pretty great, and games run well on it though I don't play many games on it. The optional keyboard folio is very well made if you're interested in it. It is heavy though, really heavy.

derder

So my choices are:
1. White GS2 for $500
2. White AT&T Skyrocket for $600
3. Black Nexus GSM for $750
4. Black Galaxy Note for $700

I think I'll go white GS2...

kehs

Banned
So my choices are:
1. White GS2 for $500
2. White AT&T Skyrocket for $600
3. Black Nexus GSM for $750
4. Black Galaxy Note for $700

I think I'll go white GS2...

Negri has the titanium Galaxy Nexus for $690 if you use VZsucks as a coupon code (seriously). Give you $45 off.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm now listening music on my brand new Galaxy Note. The device is gorgeous! But I'm a bit disappointed to find out that games library seems to be limited due the exotic nature of the device.

Is there a way to force the Gameloft games to run on the device?

rCIZZLE

Is there any danger using the stuck pixel apps? I just got my phone a few days ago and would prefer to just fix the pixel instead of taking it in to exchange and feeling like a jackass.

kehs

Banned
Is there any danger using the stuck pixel apps? I just got my phone a few days ago and would prefer to just fix the pixel instead of taking it in to exchange and feeling like a jackass.

Nah, all they do is basically flash a bunch of random colors really fast.

Pctx

Banned
Google+ does it to Picasa
Albeit it does it "gimped" as in not as robust as the desktop version.

I'm thinking of creating a folder on Picasa that is shared better for G+ to auto upload to. I really hope they flesh out that feature in the near future.

wario

live pics of the sony ericsson xperia arc hd (nozomi)

gsmarena

things i noticed:

- dedicated camera button
- hdmi port
- no microSD slot
- non-removable battery
- microSIM

kinggroin

Banned
If I were to overcloack my xoom to say 1.2 ghz or higher, would I actually be able to notice a difference in performance, like web page loading?

The modified kernals like tiamat offer better honescreen performance and application responsiveness. Over locking will obviously lower battery life a bit, but you will a slightly snappier xoom (especially if you use Widgets heavily).

I personally recommend using adw ex as a launcher replacement. Its fully hardware accelerated, and can handle twice as many scrollable honeycomb Widgets on a single screen without dropping below 60fps. Quite astounding, and a little sad at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom