• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

josephdebono said:
Seriously. Does anyone hold the phone in the manner indicated? I.e. with your thumb resting at the vertical centre of the screen?

I doubt it, because if you do, you can't hit the bottom section of the screen with your thumb. It's unnatural to stretch below your thumb's natural motion, but it's perfectly natural to stretch upward. My guess is that everybody has the base of their thumb in the bottom 1/4 of the screen. In fact, pretty much everybody would do that unless you're making a misleading .jpg.

rozay

Banned
Using screens above 4 inches with one hand is not anywhere near as comfortable for me and I don't have small hands. I hope the nexus isn't too bad ergonomically.

clav

MercuryLS said:
The biggest problem with Android is that there's always something better right around the corner. Look at the Nexus Prime, now the Samsung Galaxy S3 specs are leaked...when that comes out, I'm sure we'll be hearing about the next superphone.

Android handset makers need to space out their phones better if a newer model comes out every 6 months, it makes it very hard for people to know when to jump in. I remember wanting to get a Nexus S, then I heard about the Galaxy S2, now I'm hearing about the Nexus Prime and now we've got the Galaxy S3 being rumoured. I don't know when to jump in because of it.

Things are simpler in the Apple world. 4S is out now, a year from now there will be a new phone, jump in now or wait for the next one.
The biggest problem for Google is to get those Android updates on all handsets.

To a certain extent, Apple's fragmentation makes more sense as if you've seen the iPhone 3G (2nd generation Apple phone) run the latest iOS, it just dies.

Google still can't get everyone on board to update the handsets accordingly.

I hope Google finds how for ICS, but I heard the same parrot for Froyo and Gingerbread releases. Heck, not everyone runs on the same version of Gingerbread.

Microsoft got it right to update all the Windows Phone 7 handsets.

I hope Google can adopt that philosophy. It's ridiculous that people have to treat their Android phones like Windows Mobile 5/6.5 handsets.

kehs

Banned
claviertekky said:
Yeah, the talk about battery life in the Android operating system is hilarious if you've seen the trend.

Wait until Froyo.

Wait until Gingerbread.

Now, it's wait until Ice Cream Sandwich.

I saw a massive jump in battery efficiency in the jump to GB. Hardware accelaration will also help with battery life.

I can consistently go 24 hours between charges. 36 hours with light usage, 45ish if I kill 3g.

clav

Copernicus said:
I saw a massive jump in battery efficiency in the jump to GB. Hardware accelaration will also help with battery life.

I can consistently go 24 hours between charges. 36 hours with light usage, 45ish if I kill 3g.
On some handsets, Froyo runs better than Gingerbread because the carrier/manufacturer never bothered to update the phones.

Again, Google still needs to get on board with updates.

I hope that changes with Ice Cream Sandwich, but I feel like I've read this hope story for some years now.

Cipherr

MercuryLS said:
The biggest problem with Android is that there's always something better right around the corner. Look at the Nexus Prime, now the Samsung Galaxy S3 specs are leaked...when that comes out, I'm sure we'll be hearing about the next superphone.

Android handset makers need to space out their phones better if a newer model comes out every 6 months, it makes it very hard for people to know when to jump in. I remember wanting to get a Nexus S, then I heard about the Galaxy S2, now I'm hearing about the Nexus Prime and now we've got the Galaxy S3 being rumoured. I don't know when to jump in because of it.

Things are simpler in the Apple world. 4S is out now, a year from now there will be a new phone, jump in now or wait for the next one.

No they don't. The fact that Apple only releases on phone a year doesn't change the fact that technology moves forward at a rapid pace. The planet doesn't freeze with a iPhone comes out for a year. Tech moves forward, whether you move with it or not. Choose a phone and buy it. Doesn't matter if the phone is an Android Windows or iPhone, a few months later something better will be out, and there's nothing you can do, no phone you can buy that will change that.

I have never understood this point of view. You think that if you buy an iPhone 4S that suddenly for the duration of the year, LTE, HD screens, Wimax, 1GB of ram, fast dualcore CPUs and the like just wont exist during that 2 year contract? OF COURSE THEY WILL, it doesn't matter what you buy. When people say this it really makes me think that folks care to much about either having the newest phone, or being able to tell people they have the newest phone, rather than just liking the phone they have.

If you need a phone to brag about, or show off, then yeah Android probably isnt the OS to go with. Or you could just find a phone you like and buy that.

SimleuqiR

MercuryLS said:

It does? I stick with a 2 year cycle. Can't go wrong with that.

Nexus line + 2 Year cycle = Me happy.

My Nexus One can still handle its own. I will have had it for two years on Jan. 6th, 2012.
CM7 (or will it be CM8?) can probably keep it going even further with ICS ports.

Doopliss

SimleuqiR said:

My Nexus One can still handle its own. I will have had it for two years on Jan. 6th, 2012.
CM7 (or will it be CM8?) can probably keep it going even further with ICS ports.
Apparently it's going to be CM9. They're following the Firefox school of version numbering, or something.

Emily Chu

Banned
alternade said:

This is why I dont think the Prime will be that exciting aside from the fact that its new and will direct upgrades from google.

my main selling point was unfucked virgin pure google Ice Cream Sandwich OS...

I liked my Droid X but I had to remix, root, mix again, install custom rom, etc

would just like to use a phone out of box with unfucked Google OS.

MercuryLS

Banned
SimleuqiR said:

I think following the Nexus line is the best thing to do with Android phones. I am definitely looking closely at the Nexus Prime. The one thing that make all of this more painful is the the delay that these handsets have in coming to Canada, it can take upwards of 6 months after the US release to get to Canada.

Emily Chu

Banned
SimleuqiR said:

was thinking the same of just getting Nexus Flagship ATM then 2 years later get another Nexus Flagship unless something better comes along...

HURRY UP PRIME

zedge

MercuryLS said:

You don't always have to have the latest and greatest. If you buy a high end Android phone now it will easily last you a couple of years, you don't have to upgrade every time a new phone is announced. What an odd way of thinking. Keep drinking the cool aid I guess.

MercuryLS said:

Android handset makers need to space out their phones better if a newer model comes out every 6 months, it makes it very hard for people to know when to jump in. I remember wanting to get a Nexus S, then I heard about the Galaxy S2, now I'm hearing about the Nexus Prime and now we've got the Galaxy S3 being rumoured. I don't know when to jump in because of it. Things are simpler in the Apple world. 4S is out now, a year from now there will be a new phone, jump in now or wait for the next one.

There's a difference between a problem and a preference. Always wanting the newest most powerful phone is the latter, not the former.

People with Galaxy S2s are hugely satisfied. A slightly better GPU or processor in a new phone 3 months later won't change how their phone works or how Android performs as a whole.

Additionally when you look at it, the standard Droid receives a hardware update about every year. The Samsung Galaxy S was released in July 2010 (US) and is seeing a successor in fall 2011, over a year later. Nexus is updated once a year.

There are a lot of manufacturers and lines of hardware but they are more structured than it initially seems. (Software) Updates are the problem, imo.

kehs

Banned
Emily Chu said:
hmm not FLAGSHIPPY ENOUGH

I want quad core, HHD SCREENS, 4-8gb RAMS, 128GB SDDs

etc

Don't forget the wifis*

*it's actually not a joke anymore, dual band wifi on prime. hah*

Donos

Emily Chu said:
and just like that google Nexus Prime is old fart... sigh...

looks like my Contract is up next June

lord knows there be Quad Core 2.0Ghz , 4GB RAM 15MB Camera etc by then

and possibly iPhone 5

these things are like a full fledge laptop now

FUCKING WOW!!

by the time the GSIII releases there will be the next big thing just around the corner. it just never ends.there wont be a phone that will stay on top 1-2 years.
Pic in the "leak" looks like Samsung Wave (II)

Emily Chu

Banned
Donos said:
by the time the GSIII releases there will be the next big thing just around the corner. it just never ends.there wont be a phone that will stay on top 1-2 years.
Pic in the "leak" looks like Samsung Wave (II)

seems like the best idea is to snipe a flagship once your contract is up and scan within the next couple of months to see if anything is around the corner...

first SP was LG ALLY then a Droid X, then well

possibly Nexus Prime or well Nexus Prime II S SUPER MOBILE GLOBAL ULTRA DELTA ALPHA BRAIN SCANS

newjeruse

I have to imagine HTC is planning a new flagship phone for when everyone with an EVO 4G's contract expires in Summer 12. Any rumors so far?

zedge

MercuryLS said:
I think following the Nexus line is the best thing to do with Android phones. I am definitely looking closely at the Nexus Prime. The one thing that make all of this more painful is the the delay that these handsets have in coming to Canada, it can take upwards of 6 months after the US release to get to Canada.

How long before we had the Nexus S? It was not 6 months. We also had the GS2 before the US, and the Play/Arc, among others. This is not always the case anymore.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Divvy said:
Actually I think most right handed people hold it in their left hand so they can interact with it with their right hand. Aside from that you're right, I don't hold it like the diagram.

This. But I sometimes do hold it like that and I tried just now and I can reach to the corners of the phone let alone the corners of the screen with my thumb. The green area there is for tiny tiny hands. I have average hands at most and I can reach the whole thing no issues. Even my wife who has tiny hands has no issues with a 4.3 phone.

wario

newjeruse said:
I have to imagine HTC is planning a new flagship phone for when everyone with an EVO 4G's contract expires in Summer 12. Any rumors so far?

htc has a 720p phone in the works (htc vigor i think?) but by summer, qualcomm's next gen chip, krait, should be out.

a good bet htc's next flagship will have it.

MercuryLS

Banned
zedge said:
How long before we had the Nexus S? It was not 6 months. We also had the GS2 before the US, and the Play/Arc, among others. This is not always the case anymore.

Well I hope the Nexus Prime release is quick in Canada.

LegoArmo said:
e7kG6.png

Anyone know what "not installed" means? As far as I'm aware they are.
in the new market, that seems to happens when they're system apps and there is an update available.

Zapages

Hey guys,

Whenever I am driving I usually place my cellphone on speaker. What I noticed is that the Galaxy S2 has bit of a soft speaker, which is really surprising.

Is there an app to improve the speaker volume. I mean speaker is fine while playing video or listening to music.

Is there an app that will improve that or is there some setting in call that I should fix. I have noise suppression enabled for call. That is good right?

Or is there something wrong with my phone? :(

tino

Banned
MercuryLS said:

So you are saying, Android worlds offer too many options and FREEDOM, you prefer the TOTALITARIAN style of the other OS.

wario

this write up provides a nice overview of the next snapdragon soc, krait.

First on 28nm process technology: Snapdragon S4 processors are the first mobile processors to be manufactured using the latest 28nm process technology that provides inherent advantages in frequency scaling, power consumption and reduced size.
Qualcomm showed us some preliminary benchmarks which told us the Adreno 225 GPU should out-perform the industry-leading PowerVR SGX543MP2 found in Apple’s A5 SoC.
The most notable feature of Qualcomm’s Snapdragon S4 is the industry’s first fully integrated 3G/4G world/multimode LTE Modem. This thing supports all of the world’s leading 2G, 3G, and 4G LTE standards and it integrates GPS, Bluetooth 4.0, WiFi, FM, and NFC.

hope we see phones using these chips in Q1 2012.

link

Lesiroth

Gah, ever since I switched to CM on my SGS, the lack of a music player that can share songs and decent eye-pleasing file manager among other faults have been really bugging at me. I don't even know if I should go back to stock or some other ROM or stick it out with CM.

wario

gcubed said:
Don't believe qualcomm quotes on power of chipsets
yeah, I know. highly doubt a higher clocked adreno 220 can outperform the sgx543.

I'm more interested in the shift to 28nm chips. they should really help with battery life. huge 720p screens have to be massive drains.

wario said:
this write up provides a nice overview of the next snapdragon soc, krait.

hope we see phones using these chips in Q1 2012.

link
this article is AMAZING!!!

Samsung and Texas Instruments will also have new processors out in the first half of 2012, but it appears they are offering more of the same tech we have already seen at faster speeds. Samsung will have a dual-core 1.5 GHz Exynos 4212 at 32nm and TI will have a dual-core 1.8 GHz OMAP4470 at 45nm. Both chips should offer improved performance and batter life, but they are not pushing the limits like NVIDIA or Qualcomm.

*looks at benchmarks*

*looks at article*

*looks at benchmarks again*

*looks at graph in article*

UrhDk.jpg

*laughs*

Zapages

Lesiroth said:
Gah, ever since I switched to CM on my SGS, the lack of a music player that can share songs and decent eye-pleasing file manager among other faults have been really bugging at me. I don't even know if I should go back to stock or some other ROM or stick it out with CM.
there off google music and winamp to say a few. I use google music

kamil

Neo Member
gcubed said:
Don't believe qualcomm quotes on power of chipsets

Obviously they try to make their chips look good but Qualcomm did have the best CPUs for first half of 2010 and was only overtaken in March 2011 (in the 2nd half of 2010 and begining of 2011 Samsung, TI and Qualcomms CPUs where pretty much equal). This isn't that surprising as Qualcomm chips have long lifespans. But I think it's pretty much a given that Kraits is going to win with Cortex A9 CPUs - is is a year younger architecture afterall. Article on Anandtech also puts them closer to Cortex A15 than A9.

The thing that Snapdragons will still lag behind competitions are GPUs, Adreno 225 is based on the same architecture as old Adreno 200, just scaled up (to the point of being around 6 times as powerful as Adreno 200) and it won't match Mali-400 or SGX543 performance.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So what's on the horizon in the tablet market? I've been drooling over the eee pad transformer but I know the transformer 2 is barely weeks away and there's bound to be others coming soon.

Copernicus said:
They're actually skipping a number? I find that hard to believe. Probably a joke taken out of context.

CM9 is next:
As the Honeycomb source will remain unpublished, the upcoming open source release of Android Ice Cream Sandwich will be merged into CM and assigned version 9 (as soon as Google releases the source that is). So don't be surprised when you see CM9 without ever seeing CM8.

Enduin said:
So what's on the horizon in the tablet market? I've been drooling over the eee pad transformer but I know the transformer 2 is barely weeks away and there's bound to be others coming soon.

8.2"/10.1" Xoom 2's, 7" Toshiba Thrive, 10.1" Samsung (from the Prime teaser) .

kehs

Banned
Heh, that's so retarded, I mean I know release numbers don't mean anything, but skipping a point for no reason, whatevs.

kehs

Banned
Chesskid1 said:
does anyone know about cyanogenmod?

they are attempting to port it to the HP touchpad and some devs have been working on it for a month or two now.

they have just added this page to the cyanogenmod site.

http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,8748

what does this mean?

thanks.

Preliminary ground work to start building a version for the Touchpad, nothing really major, just behind the scenes stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom