• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidion

Slideit is much better than swype for me. It is like a combo of swiftkey and swype.

I tried slideit, maybe even on your suggestion from another thread, and it is almost too accurate. The error tolerance results in way too many unregistered swipes and after a while the time and effort it takes to write something just becomes arduous and annoying. In addition, the suggested words aren't any more accurate than Swype. To each his own I suppose.

kehs

Banned
Yeah, I went from Froyo -> Swype -> GB -> Swype > Swift > ICS, and I'm pretty happy with the ICS. Longer words were a hassle to type on swift and swype, but in ICS it only takes about 5 letters to pin it down.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I tried slideit, maybe even on your suggestion from another thread, and it is almost too accurate. The error tolerance results in way too many unregistered swipes and after a while the time and effort it takes to write something just becomes arduous and annoying. In addition, the suggested words aren't any more accurate than Swype. To each his own I suppose.

Definitely an adjustment, you are right about that. But its advantages over swiftkey and swype overwhelm its downsides for me.

Pctx

Banned
Yeah, I went from Froyo -> Swype -> GB -> Swype > Swift > ICS, and I'm pretty happy with the ICS. Longer words were a hassle to type on swift and swype, but in ICS it only takes about 5 letters to pin it down.
Typing feels so much better on the ics kb and the custom dictionary with predictive type is awesome.

Circle T

I do like the ICS keyboard, but I always seem to go back to SwiftKey. It just works better for me. With the ICS keyboard, I get a lot of accidental "spaces" when I'm actually trying to hit a letter on the lower row. SwiftKey also seems to suggest and auto-correct me better.

In the end, though, we should all just be happy that we have this many great options available to us.

gimmmick

Going on with my 4th android device tonight.

Got kicked off sprint for using too much data. Canceled my account and now I'm back with verizon.

Got a droid bionic for 150. Got in with the 4gig data promotion that vzw is running till the end of the month.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I tried to register both of my cards for Google checkout but both were declined. The cards have no trouble on other services such as Steam, Amazon, Paypal and Nintendo eStore. What might be the cause?

Thinking about getting the Droid Incredible 2 to replace my outdated LG Vortex that I got earlier this year, but the website that my co-worker told me to use seems a little sketchy. Especially since I'm still under my parent's contract, I'm really hesitant to make the leap to the Inc2.

Angst

What's a good find my phone app?

If you want to attempt to locate your phone after it's been lost you can try: Plan B

And Lookout if you haven't lost it already:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lookout&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmxvb2tvdXQiXQ..

Wtf, how many gigs a month did you have to do to piss them off?
Using Spotify/Youtube/other streaming services it's pretty easy to use a couple of GBs per day and I think most phone company have a 5 or 8 GB monthly cap.

Wtf, how many gigs a month did you have to do to piss them off?

Currently, if you have unlimited data still on Verizon they officially say they may start throttling you on a busy tower after 2 GB. Most people who have actually been throttled by Verizon say that they used about 8-9 GB in a month before Verizon came over with an aluminum baseball bat to bash their data connection's speed in.

Verizon's throttling is interesting, as it doesn't occur all the time. If Verizon notices a heavy data user is on a tower which is congested, it will throttle them. If they are on a lightly-used tower at the moment, they'll still get full speed no matter how much data they are sucking down.

If you tether without paying for a tethering plan, all the carriers will ream your asshole if you are also a data hog. Except AT&T, they'll ream your asshole if they merely detect you tried to tether without paying. The other carriers will look the other way as long as you don't tether a lot and don't use too much data. Just so you know.

Angst

Currently, if you have unlimited data still on Verizon they officially say they may start throttling you on a busy tower after 2 GB. Most people who have actually been throttled by Verizon say that they used about 8-9 GB in a month before Verizon came over with an aluminum baseball bat to bash their data connection's speed in.

Verizon's throttling is interesting, as it doesn't occur all the time. If Verizon notices a heavy data user is on a tower which is congested, it will throttle them. If they are on a lightly-used tower at the moment, they'll still get full speed no matter how much data they are sucking down.

If you tether without paying for a tethering plan, all the carriers will ream your asshole if you are also a data hog. Except AT&T, they'll ream your asshole if they merely detect you tried to tether without paying. The other carriers will look the other way as long as you don't tether a lot and don't use too much data. Just so you know.

Wow, US carriers are assholes. How much do they charge for .00005 kb text messages?

I'm so glad I'm on an unlimited plan - if I had been paying the regular fee of 16 NOK (~2$) per MB my last invoice would have been for $8 000... D:

Al-ibn Kermit

Well I'd expect sprint to take a little longer considering they're content letting you tether through usb. Plus they're the only one still offering unlimited.

Well if you use it like a cable connection and torrent 72pp tv shows on it, it will use up the bandwidth really fast.

I once used 110 GB in a month on my HSDPA connection just to see when my provider would actually start throttling me (they have a policy that they may throttle you after 10GB). They throttled me to 1 Mbps for the entire next month. :(

Funny, all my friends asked me that the same question. I tethered shit out of my wimax connection.... I'm the reason why we have tiered data caps.

seriously, i'm impressed!

back in the day i did this:

4IucB.png

and didn't even get a notice.

The screen on my HTC Magic shattered a week or so ago so I'm upgrading to an Sony X10 from a dude on craigslist this afternoon. Still holding out for a "perfect" phone (720p screen, microSD slot and 8MP+ camera) before I spend too much on anything.

kehs

Banned
I was setting up my Google TV, get an update immediately when turning it on, downloads and applies the (HC I assume) update. Then I got to the page where you authorize Logitech to key log you and rape your data, but I keep getting a network connection failure. Awesome right?

The whole time I'm already signed into my Google account (because there really is not network connection failure) and I can see notifications in the bottom like "Updates Available".

Thanks.

Quick search yields:

http://forum.gtvhacker.com/troubleshooting/topic380.html

Some people said they got it it work by just spamming the Retry button,

In the Logi forums they are saying there are times of day the server goes down. But it's been hours, and well over the 3 hour maintenance window... What's up logi?!

Google TV ®

gcubed

the reason i hated swype was because i couldn't hand it to someone. If you weren't swyping the keyboard was horrible.

panda21

$300 for refurbished Galaxy SII from AT&T with no contract, to be used on my Tmobile account. Should I pull the trigger?

i have an S2 and I'm fiending for a galaxy nexus. but the gs2 actually has mostly better hardware. i'd say go for it if you can wait for ICS, I love mine. (i watch secret garden and RM on it lol)

Ashhong

i have an S2 and I'm fiending for a galaxy nexus. but the gs2 actually has mostly better hardware. i'd say go for it if you can wait for ICS, I love mine. (i watch secret garden and RM on it lol)

I'll be rooting and putting custom roms on it, so I'm sure the wait wont be THAT long for ICS. Also the Nexus is way out of my price range, so my option is either stick with my HD2 and slightly busted screen, or upgrade to the S2 and sell my HD2.

No. You'll be stuck on EDGE.

Not an issue, I don't have any data and don't plan on getting any. The only issue is if I am still on Tmobile when I do eventually get some data going. Although hopefully the merger goes through, or I can just sell the phone and probably still come out even. Just wondering if 300 is worth it for a refurb.

Though, how bad could a refurb be? Phone is pretty new...

Blackhead

Redarse
I'll be rooting and putting custom roms on it, so I'm sure the wait wont be THAT long for ICS. Also the Nexus is way out of my price range, so my option is either stick with my HD2 and slightly busted screen, or upgrade to the S2 and sell my HD2.

Not an issue, I don't have any data and don't plan on getting any. The only issue is if I am still on Tmobile when I do eventually get some data going. Although hopefully the merger goes through, or I can just sell the phone and probably still come out even. Just wondering if 300 is worth it for a refurb.

Though, how bad could a refurb be? Phone is pretty new...

*smh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom