• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circle T

Lol, I honestly don't know much about the business politics. All I know is that I need it to go through if I want to use my phone with 3G or 4G speeds in the distant future.
By the time the deal would go through, and any changes happen on either network, any current phone that any of us have will be outdated.

Ashhong

By the time the deal would go through, and any changes happen on either network, any current phone that any of us have will be outdated.

Well then I am indifferent to those issues. Anyway, I digress. I am currently under a family plan that my brother pays for so I don't really have any say in having data or not, and I don't feel it's worth it for me to get my own line and start paying 40+$ a month just because I want data. Maybe down the road.

That being said, this HD2 is just pissing me off, so I think I will bite on the $300 S2.

Futureman

Anyone know...

if I have a Verizon early upgrade in June, does that mean I can ONLY go through an official Verizon store?

or could I go to any Verizon vendor? I'm hoping I can grab a Nexus for around $99 on contract by June. I doubt it will officially be $99 by then, but I'm thinking somewhere like Best Buy is bound to have a deal at some point.

rCIZZLE

I just got my Bionic recently and I'm having some trouble transferring files to my bionic. I downloaded the Astro File Manager but I can't find anything that I tried transferring. In fact any of the folders I see on my PC, which seem to mostly be Apps, I can't find in the file manager. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

3phemeral

Hmm... I'm tempted to go in today and see if I can get this. Last time I was able to get 150 off + upgrade bonus with my D2 because they didn't want me to go to Best Buy and use up my gift cards there for the phone. I wonder if I can do the same thing now.

im so dissapointed in adw launcher for honeycomb. I did see the performance enhancements in the homescreen, but the thing is an absolute battery killer. I put the xoom to sleep at 80% 18 hours ago and when I turned it on today it was at 17%. Unacceptable. Its been like this the past 4 days. I'm sad as it feels like I wasted the 3 bucks.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
im so dissapointed in adw launcher for honeycomb. I did see the performance enhancements in the homescreen, but the thing is an absolute battery killer. I put the xoom to sleep at 80% 18 hours ago and when I turned it on today it was at 17%. Unacceptable. Its been like this the past 4 days. I'm sad as it feels like I wasted the 3 bucks.

Uhhh... seems like there's something wrong with your tablet. ADW shouldn't be doing that at all. I have ADW EX and it has no impact on my battery life at all.

jayb

That's a step up for Android users who don't even buy apps!

I've had an android phone for two years and the first app i bought was minecraft ... for 10 cents!

All the free apps always did what I need. and it probably doesn't help that I'm ok with using apps/games like Angry Birds that have ads.

Oozer3993

Just another fragment.

(they added more screen support, gamepad support, and some under the hood stuff)

Gamepad support was 3.1, along with widget resizing, mouse and keyboard support, and big performance enhancements. 3.2 had App Zooming for phone apps, SD card support, support for more screen sizes, and some performance enhancements.

DXPett1

Gamepad support was 3.1, along with widget resizing, mouse and keyboard support, and big performance enhancements. 3.2 had App Zooming for phone apps, SD card support, support for more screen sizes, and some performance enhancements.

Native screenshot ability too (settings>screen to enable)

Uhhh... seems like there's something wrong with your tablet. ADW shouldn't be doing that at all. I have ADW EX and it has no impact on my battery life at all.

The chart seems to go steady for an hour or so after sleep, then the steep decline starts. Its weird. I installed the same widgets i had when i ran stock, same live wallpaper too.

Arment

Just got an HTC EVO 4G (as did the other 3 people on my plan) for free by renewing my plan with Sprint. They've been real good to me, especially being a 11+ year customer.

Anyways I'll be graduating from a Blackberry Curve so this is my first foray into Android. I'm pretty excited.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
What browser is everybody else using? I've been using Opera Mini mostly, though I can't get animated GIFs to work, or certain websites, so for those I switch to Opera mobile.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
What's the attraction of Android for you? Is it that it allows you to do pretty everything that iOS won't or can't?

Fletcher

What's the attraction of Android for you? Is it that it allows you to do pretty everything that iOS won't or can't?

As a long time iPhone/iOS user who just recently switched, the appeal to me, and why I'm very happy with switch, is I finally feel I have total control of my phone. I haven't fully grasped everything there is, but I know it's there.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Fundamentally the way I see it:

iOS was designed well by someone else

Android is designed well by me.

tino

Banned
I start to think its not worth the 1-2 bux saving to buy any utility apps from Amazon. Every time Business Calendar gets an update, I have to click 3-4 clicks to download the updated app and then another 3-4 clicks to install it. TOO MUCH EFFORT!!

If Biz Cal drop to 3 dollar or less on Android market, I will buy it from there.

tino

Banned

All kind of legal and shady data connection plans I can get from prepaid carriers instead of almost no option from the iPhone side. Much cheaper phones and data plans too.

Danj

ASLA0.png

New phone ordered and shipped already! W00t.

What browser is everybody else using? I've been using Opera Mini mostly, though I can't get animated GIFs to work, or certain websites, so for those I switch to Opera mobile.

Opera Mobile. I don't need Opera's servers to reroute my browsing thanks to unlimited data and abundant wifi.

Tried Dolphin HD and hated the UI. Firefox Nightly was still buggy last time I used it.

User control. I like tweaking the shit out of everything.

Ashhong

Is there any noticable difference between the 1.5ghz snapdragon in the Tmobile SII vs. the 1.2ghz Exynos in the AT&T version?

Cipherr

Like someone else said, Google's web services are integrated, wide wide variety of hardware to choose from, and most importantly customization. The thing about UI's is that one size just doesn't fit all. Whats fine to one person, isn't to the next. I can make my phone my own if I don't like it. Thats not an option with iOS. You either like it how they build it, or you don't, and you either dealwithit.jpg or jump ship.

Kagami

I don't have a specific attachment to the Android OS itself, but Microsoft, Apple, RIM--these guys are only making/supporting mid-priced "one size fits all" hardware, which just haven't been what I've wanted.
For my first smartphone, I wanted a dirt cheap phone on dirt cheap no-contract pay-as-you-go service--only Android provided that.
Now this time around when I bought my second one, I wanted the opposite, a super phone with a huge screen, highest available resolution, and tons of storage space--Samsung delivered with the 5.3" 1280x800 Galaxy Note. If anything like that existed with iOS or WP7 on it, I'd be interested in checking them out, but they don't.
Android is filling in the niches the others aren't serving.

gcubed

I start to think its not worth the 1-2 bux saving to buy any utility apps from Amazon. Every time Business Calendar gets an update, I have to click 3-4 clicks to download the updated app and then another 3-4 clicks to install it. TOO MUCH EFFORT!!

If Biz Cal drop to 3 dollar or less on Android market, I will buy it from there.

besides a few stellar free deals, i refuse to buy anything on Amazon because of how shit it is.

Google and phone options

Circle T

Is there any noticable difference between the 1.5ghz snapdragon in the Tmobile SII vs. the 1.2ghz Exynos in the AT&T version?

In most benchmarks, the standard Exynos GSII will best the Qualcomm version. In normal day-to-day usage, though, you'll probably never notice. Both are really powerful phones, the Exynos versions are just a little more so.

gcubed

crosspost, two damn threads, need to get android stuff back here

4.0.3 already. Looks like its going to be the base ICS code

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2011/12/android-403-platform-and-updated-sdk.html

Going forward, we’ll be focusing our partners on Android 4.0.3 as the base version of Ice Cream Sandwich. The new platform will be rolling out to production phones and tablets in the weeks ahead, so we strongly encourage you to test your applications on Android 4.0.3 as soon as possible.

Danj

how is this phone? Will it be good with ICS? How is the battery life and all thing else. I can get it for cheap so i am intrested.

Don't know yet, it is expected to be delivered beginning of next week. It is on the list for an ICS update though. Battery life probably sucks since it is Tegra 2. I'll give some more details once I get it.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Depends what you want, these my my absolute essentials

Chrome to phone <- I can't even describe how much like magic this feels
SMS backup +
Spotify

Chrome to phone does feel like magic. I know how it works but it blows my mind every time i use it, likes it some kind of sorcery. I start grinning like a moron.

I'm contemplating getting an optimus 2x to replace my Nexus One since my carrier is running a promotion that allows me to get it for free on my current plan until the end of the year. (normally, my plan is only good for $150 off a device)

I would really rather have a Galaxy Nexus though (which they won't have for at least another month or so :( )

Bollocks

Bought my Dad's Christmas present today, a 16GB Galaxy Tab 10.1 3G and boy is it amazing, it was either this or the iPad2, glad that in the short time I opted for the iPad I didn't go through with it and in the end saved myself a lot of trouble. Looking back now I can't believe I considered the iPad, the Galaxy Tab is that good.

kehs

Banned
further evidence of GSM superiority on the GNex. I expect you to report on how it runs on the Nexus S by the end of the day. Someone on xda should get the link to the files and you can flash it

Been checking like a madman. Nothing yet.

I was curious as to why all these little apps were getting updated today (kickback/soundback/etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom