• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldrush

Bought my Dad's Christmas present today, a 16GB Galaxy Tab 10.1 3G and boy is it amazing, it was either this or the iPad2, glad that in the short time I opted for the iPad I didn't go through with it and in the end saved myself a lot of trouble. Looking back now I can't believe I considered the iPad, the Galaxy Tab is that good.

Your Dad's? Sure, whatever you say.

mingus

Updated Nexus S to ICS and now there's a "Developer's Options" in my settings? What is this...

Also I can't get the screen capture to work :( Nvm didn't realize you have to hold it to make it work.

What's this all about

Makbj.png

nNad8.png

24Me8.png

kehs

Banned
Updated Nexus S to ICS and now there's a "Developer's Options" in my settings? What is this...

Also I can't get the screen capture to work :( Nvm didn't realize you have to hold it to make it work.

What's this all about

Makbj.png

nNad8.png

24Me8.png

Dev stuff you don't really need to worry about. (If you change the animation speeds to fast your phones feels like it's running super fast btw)

zoku88

Don't know yet, it is expected to be delivered beginning of next week. It is on the list for an ICS update though. Battery life probably sucks since it is Tegra 2. I'll give some more details once I get it.

I have the T-mobile version (The G2x). Apparently, the only differences are the software (and bands?) (apparently the Optimus 2x software is really lacking..)

It's an okay phone.

The battery life does indeed suck, though.

I want to buy a Nexus...

mingus

So I can install this on my AWS Nexus S (the same one used on T-Mobile)?

How do I launch install this? Does my device need to be rooted?
Don't have to be rooted so long as your device is 2.3.6 GRK39F.

Instructions here: http://www.slashgear.com/manual-update-instructions-for-google-nexus-s-to-android-2-3-4-29149254/

Dev stuff you don't really need to worry about. (If you change the animation speeds to fast your phones feels like it's running super fast btw)
It does seem faster. Protip: go with off or 0.5x; 10x makes it really really slow.

Have you tried getting to it through ADB and/or USB?

I tried doing fastboot reboot-bootloader and the problem is that it can't see the phone.

It shows up as SEC S5PC110 Test B/D under device manager with no drivers to be found.

Anything I can try?

EDIT: ADB has an empty list of devices as well =(

Swig_

I don't know much about modding Android, but is there a way to make my Samsung Galaxy S2s UI look like an HTC? I wanted an HTC, but I thought at the time, the S2 was a better phone. I don't really like how the Samsung UI looks.

Also, are there any tutorials for people who know next to nothing about modding Android?

zoku88

I tried doing fastboot reboot-bootloader and the problem is that it can't see the phone.

It shows up as SEC S5PC110 Test B/D under device manager with no drivers to be found.

Anything I can try?

EDIT: ADB has an empty list of devices as well =(

Do you have anything with linux? Maybe its a driver related thing and you might be able to see the device and use adb with a linux install?

jokkir

Just updated my Nexus S to ICS.

Too bad there's no face unlock. Kinda expected since the ICS roms were all broken with that feature :p

Flash

was able to successfully flash my mobilicity nexus S with ICS. so any of you wind guys should be good to go with t-mobiles update as well.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Are there any custom unlock apps that also have notifications built in? Or perhaps, an unlock app that actually allows NoLED to work? All unlock apps I've tried so far prevent NoLED from working.

ScOULaris

Is the AT&T Nexus S going to be receiving the OTA update this month as well, or is it just the T-Mobile version? Is there any way I can get the official ICS ROM for the AT&T model like the link to the T-Mobile version that everyone seems to be using?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Are there any custom unlock apps that also have notifications built in? Or perhaps, an unlock app that actually allows NoLED to work? All unlock apps I've tried so far prevent NoLED from working.

Just found one by accident. WP7 Lock does precisely this and also disables the Home button to prevent accidental unlocks. If you're not using NoLED, then WP7 acts just like the actual Windows Phone 7 unlock screen, so it displays missed calls, texts, and emails. Plus it works extremely smoothly on my Skyrocket! It also has a very small footprint, and it's very simplistic which I love.

Very happy. I hate the stock Samsung lock screens, they suck.

kehs

Banned
ICS on Nexus S thoughts:

That app drawer is super smooth.

It's amazing to not see lists trip over themselves.

The recent apps menu...I still hate it. It's even worse when you have a physical key. Shit takes like ten days to pop up.

ICS was developed around the GN without looking back. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
CM7 on my Vibrant keeps force closing EVERYTHING, even after fixing permissions & wiping the Dalvik cache. Had to reflash to finally get it to behave.

Are my only other GB options MIUI?

Ashhong

CM7 on my Vibrant keeps force closing EVERYTHING, even after fixing permissions & wiping the Dalvik cache. Had to reflash to finally get it to behave.

Are my only other GB options MIUI?

As a fan of CM7 over MIUI, can't you just try a different ROM using CM7?

So I'll be able to update my Nexus S with the "system updates" option in the settings menu? And it'll pop up sometime in the next month? I don't really want to do it manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom