• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky Chief

What is the best low price tablet on the US? My coworker wants to get one for his kids in gradeschool for games and stuff. Anything decent for about $150? What about a rooted OG Nook Color?

cajunator

Banned
Really enjoying my Galaxy S II Skyrocket so far.
I like being able to visit car sites like this one: http://www.shayton.eu/ and being able to see the flash intros. Its not a huge thing, but its nice not seeing "??" all over the screen for once.

DarkFlow

Banned

jokkir

So I wasn't going crazy. Root access is broken when you switch to ICS. There's a temporary fix for now though until someone fixes it

mingus

So I'll be able to update my Nexus S with the "system updates" option in the settings menu? And it'll pop up sometime in the next month? I don't really want to do it manually.

Eventually, yeah. I stopped waiting when 2.3.6 came out and my ota for 2.3.5 still hadn't arrived.

was able to successfully flash my mobilicity nexus S with ICS. so any of you wind guys should be good to go with t-mobiles update as well.

did the same with my mobi nexus s...ICS is running great and seems like its much faster than GB so far from what i have tried out...

cajunator

Banned
Galaxy S2 line.

Case in point, took some of my first pictures with my Skyrocket yesterday and was blown away by the clarity. Really great camera!

If you use the flash, yes. without it, its shitty. But I use the flash so it comes out pretty clear.
Unless Im doing something wrong and am a shit photographer which is VERY possible.
I was watching some vids on Ebaumsworld and thinking about how that site used to be one big blank box and it made me sad.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
What the hell is with some of this DRM? I bought Zookeeper yesterday because I heard good things when it was on the DS. My home internet connection just went down, so I decided to play it on my Transformer to pass the time. Nope! Gotta have an internet connection to play the thing I bought!

+1 DRM affecting paying customers.

edit: Whoop, nevermind. A friend told me it's one-time activation. I'll just have to remember to boot up a game right after I buy it (a sad thing that I don't, but it's DD and all)

Also, cannot wait to get ICS on my TF101.

Got a GS2 on Sprint on Amazon.. First time Sprint user. Anything cool I should know?

Touchwiz has a few neat features built in:
-Slide on your contacts to go to either phone or message.
-Slide on the status bar to adjust brightness if not on auto.
-Home + Power for screenshots
Probably some more, I haven't really played with the OS.

Haters gonna hate, touchwiz is fine.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I hate the slide on the status bar to adjust brightness. I have never done it intentionally. Arg.

JonnyBrad

They also hardware accelerate the browser, which pre ics made it MILES better than any other android browser.

edit: and yes the slide brightness thing is annoying as fuck.

Question: why do the android browsers always "refresh" or reload when I come back to them after going home / minimizing it and using another app? This has happened to me in every Android phone I've had and I'm curious as to why this happens. Is it a memory issue?

Ashhong

Help please! I am about to upgrade my friend's iPhone line to get myself a Galaxy SII on my Tmobile line. The thing is the data plan needs to be changed on the iPhone line, but the rep said that it won't take into effect as long as I activate the S2 on a different line.

Now my question is, I will be unlocking/rooting straight out of the box. Is this possible? I don't know if it's like the iPhone used to be where the phone was just locked until you plug it into iTunes and all that. Will I be able to activate the phone for the first time on T-mobile? Hopefully this would prevent my friends data from getting changed.

JonnyBrad

Question: why do the android browsers always "refresh" or reload when I come back to them after going home / minimizing it and using another app? This has happened to me in every Android phone I've had and I'm curious as to why this happens. Is it a memory issue?

Memory would be my guess. It doesn't do that on my gs2!

kehs

Banned

Pretty sure they fixed around 2.2 update.

rozay

Banned
Any updates on a manual update link for the AT&T Nexus S ICS ROM? Can the T-Mobile one be used without problems?

EDIT:im wrong, read this thread and find out http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1395828&page=103 its on one of these pages

Has anybody used both PowerAmp and PlayerPro? Which do you prefer, and why?
PowerAMP sounds better and has a GREAT equalizer/preamp+gapless audio. It's probably one of the best music players I've ever used after the 2.0 update. The interface is skinnable now but I haven't seen anyone make any sadly.

PowerAMP sounds better and has a GREAT equalizer/preamp+gapless audio. It's probably one of the best music players I've ever used after the 2.0 update. The interface is skinnable now but I haven't seen anyone make any sadly.

I've read a number of user comments on forums which say PowerAmp sounds better and I'm still not sure why. All these players go through the Google media framework in the Android OS and should sound exactly the same with EQ/preamp disabled, right? I guess I'll download both and listen to the same thing on both since they both have free trials.

rozay

Banned
I've read a number of user comments on forums which say PowerAmp sounds better and I'm still not sure why. All these players go through the Google media framework in the Android OS and should sound exactly the same with EQ/preamp disabled, right? I guess I'll download both and listen to the same thing on both since they both have free trials.
Most players do but poweramp has its own I believe. Also gives you the option of using its own media library that doesn't have the same tag issues as the stock android one.

gblues

Banned
I'll post again since my last post was about 3 months ago:

I've got a Samsung Gravity SMART with Froyo. It's pretty gimped in terms of built-in memory, and the frustrating part is that the dalvik cache is on the internal memory so even apps that install to the SD card eventually eat up all the memory and I start getting "memory full" errors.

The only saving grace has been rooting the phone and removing some of the crapware, but I think the only real long-term solution is modding it so the dalvik cache isn't stored on the internal memory.

Is there any way to do this safely, or do I have to wait until someone gets around to porting cyanogenmod (if that ever happens)?

kinggroin

Banned
I'll post again since my last post was about 3 months ago:

I've got a Samsung Gravity SMART with Froyo. It's pretty gimped in terms of built-in memory, and the frustrating part is that the dalvik cache is on the internal memory so even apps that install to the SD card eventually eat up all the memory and I start getting "memory full" errors.

The only saving grace has been rooting the phone and removing some of the crapware, but I think the only real long-term solution is modding it so the dalvik cache isn't stored on the internal memory.

Is there any way to do this safely, or do I have to wait until someone gets around to porting cyanogenmod (if that ever happens)?

This kind of question is best reserved for the folks at xda

PowerAMP:
+ the equalizer is very powerful and has tone controls for bass and treble
+ volume control is finer than Android default (and other players)
+ lots of options for manipulating music files, including tag editor
+ nice lock screen widget
+ is updated regularly by author

- interface is hilariously convoluted compared to stock player and PlayerPro
- album art downloader often downloads wrong art and no option to change it yourself
- has the problem where audio skips a moment when screen turns off (known Android issue)

PlayerPro:
+ interface is very clean and intentionally resembles stock Android player
+ album art downloader lets you choose what you download from Internet search
+ downloads artist pictures which are overlaid under the lock screen widget

- uses Google framework, so you can set volume too loud or too soft but never just right
- not smart enough to ignore the Last.fm "no picture here" placeholder images and downloads them
- audio skips when DSP Pack is used on Galaxy Tuna and screen turns off (known problem with Tuna/ICS)
- hasn't been updated since July 2011, has author abandoned it? it works fine on Tuna though

The biggest problem I'm having is with comparing audio quality between the two players. Because PowerAMP and PlayerPro don't follow the same volume settings, trying to get the volume level on both exactly the same for an A/B comparison is virtually impossible. PowerAMP gives me much more granularity in volume controls, but it's album art downloader sucks. PlayerPro lets me get exactly the right album art with Internet search but the volume control is retarded on stock Android and has always been, and PlayerPro inherits this.

If the author of PowerAMP is planning on adding the ability to select your own album art using Internet search, then I would definitely go with PowerAMP at this point. Maybe I should post in the forum for that app and ask.

mf.luder

Since I'm a nerd, I went out and grabbed a cheap nexus s last night for 250. I tend to flip back and forth between iOS and android. Like them both. What I really want is to test out google wallet. Tried today but the flashing didn't go as expected. Fresh start tomorrow!

Also, can't wait for ICS to hit AT&T gsm phones.

rozay

Banned
PowerAMP:
+ the equalizer is very powerful and has tone controls for bass and treble
+ volume control is finer than Android default (and other players)
+ lots of options for manipulating music files, including tag editor
+ is updated regularly by author

- interface is hilariously convoluted compared to stock player and PlayerPro
- album art downloader often downloads wrong art and no option to change it yourself
- has the problem where audio skips a moment when screen turns off (known Android issue)

PlayerPro:
+ interface is very clean and intentionally resembles stock Android player
+ album art downloader lets you choose what you download from Internet search
+ downloads artist pictures which are overlaid under the lock screen widget

- uses Google framework, so you can set volume too loud or too soft but never just right
- not smart enough to ignore the Last.fm "no picture here" placeholder images and downloads them
- audio skips when DSP Pack is used on Galaxy Tuna and screen turns off (known problem with Tuna/ICS)
- hasn't been updated since July 2011, has author abandoned it? it works fine on Tuna though

The biggest problem I'm having is with comparing audio quality between the two players. Because PowerAMP and PlayerPro don't follow the same volume settings, trying to get the volume level on both exactly the same for an A/B comparison is virtually impossible. PowerAMP gives me much more granularity in volume controls, but it's album art downloader sucks. PlayerPro lets me get exactly the right album art with Internet search but the volume control is retarded on stock Android and has always been, and PlayerPro inherits this.

If the author of PowerAMP is planning on adding the ability to select your own album art using Internet search, then I would definitely go with PowerAMP at this point. Maybe I should post in the forum for that app and ask.
Hold down on the album art to change it while in the now playing screen. Unfortunately I don't think he's implemented batch tagging yet. I really appreciate being able to tag singles I download straight from my phone though.

What phone are you using that causes the audio to skip when the screen turns off? I've never had that happen with any audio player on android or phone. I use a nexus one daily with poweramp.

is there a way to edit the drop down bar on my gs2? Seems like a waste to keep the Bluetooth tab there when I will never use it. Would rather get rid if my widget and put brightness there

kehs

Banned
So the face recognition thing to unlock on the nexus, is that a nexus thing or an ice cream sandwich thing?

It's an ICS unlock method. However, it's up to the device maker to use it and include it in the device.

Case in point : Nexus S doesn't have face unlock (presumably because the ffc isn't the greatest), while the Galaxy Nexus does.

Al-ibn Kermit

SC20111217-170819.png

Why does the OS use up so much battery on my gs2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom