• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
is beyondpod still the best podcast app? i need to really figure out and stick to one of these programs b/c podcasting (along with board games) is the only thing where i'm not 100% converted over from my itouch

zoku88

SC20111217-170819.png

Why does the OS use up so much battery on my gs2?

given how long its been on battery, it's probably that in comparison it's doing a lot, because nothing else is doing anything.

It's an ICS unlock method. However, it's up to the device maker to use it and include it in the device.

Case in point : Nexus S doesn't have face unlock (presumably because the ffc isn't the greatest), while the Galaxy Nexus does.

Ah, hopefully Samsung puts out the final version of ICS for the S2 soon so we can see how much it will differ from the nexus build. Some things seem really nice in ICS so I'm curious if it all gets included in the S2 version or if things get cut.

Ocho

is beyondpod still the best podcast app? i need to really figure out and stick to one of these programs b/c podcasting (along with board games) is the only thing where i'm not 100% converted over from my itouch

I've only used PocketCast and haven't felt the need to try any other. Simply amazing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r58/holistic845/SC20111217-170819.png[/MG]

Why does the OS use up so much battery on my gs2?[/QUOTE]
It's a percentage. Not a raw number.

[quote="AstroLad, post: 33548067"]is beyondpod still the best podcast app? i need to really figure out and stick to one of these programs b/c podcasting (along with board games) is the only thing where i'm not 100% converted over from my itouch[/QUOTE]
Doggcatcher and PocketCasts.

Blackhead

Redarse
What's the best notes app? Preferably one that syncs via Simplenote/dropbox or links up with Microsoft's OneNote. And it shouldn't ads—or at least there should be some way to pay to remove the ads.

What's the best notes app? Preferably one that syncs via Simplenote/dropbox or links up with Microsoft's OneNote. And it shouldn't ads—or at least there should be some way to pay to remove the ads.

Funny you should mention that, I'm working on one right now (got to do something while I'm out of work :().

zoku88

I guess that's why since the last charge cycle had the display use like 60%.

Did you turn the screen on more during that time?

1.5 days on battery seems to indicate to me that you're not actually using the phone a lot? (I'm lucky to last 6-8 hours, but I use it soooo much.)

Kagami

I'll post again since my last post was about 3 months ago:

I've got a Samsung Gravity SMART with Froyo. It's pretty gimped in terms of built-in memory, and the frustrating part is that the dalvik cache is on the internal memory so even apps that install to the SD card eventually eat up all the memory and I start getting "memory full" errors.

The only saving grace has been rooting the phone and removing some of the crapware, but I think the only real long-term solution is modding it so the dalvik cache isn't stored on the internal memory.

Is there any way to do this safely, or do I have to wait until someone gets around to porting cyanogenmod (if that ever happens)?
I recommend against putting the entire dalvik cache on the sdcard because that can prevent the phone from booting because the sdcard isn't mounted yet (in my experience).
But there exist apps to make it convenient to symlink specific individual application dalvik cache files from the sd card, so you can just move ones that you're confident aren't needed when booting the phone.
I think you'll need to repartition your sd card so that the first partition is a Linux file system (ext3) although I know some things can be symlinked to FAT32 (e.g. the browser cache); can't remember if the dalvik cache likes fat32.

Will Android Reach Its Sell-by Date In 2012?

There comes a time in the life of every piece of computer code that, no matter how much you update it, no matter how many bug fixes and new features you apply, it will always be behind the curve. I think Android, with the Ice Cream Sandwich v4, has reached that point. Android is as good as it’s going to get. The sales will continue, the brand name will live on, but the time for great leaps in usability and functionality has passed.

iavi

ICS its jarded the greats, idk what hes calling it. I might jump over to kush since hes now on 4.0.3.

I just flashed to Kush's latest myself. It's not all there yet--graphical glitches, sluggish launcher in moments--but it is snappy, for the most part, and good enough now to be a daily driver. I may nandroid back to CM for the moment, but am glad to see ICS coming along at a nice pace.

DXPett1

While I can see his point in terms that Android is just about to peak (6 months when the majority of users and devs are talking ICS rather than Honeycomb+Gingerbread) in terms of its following and ground swell (simply because it owns the most marketshare now) in terms of functionality+features Google has stated that starting with ICS they are moving to a 12 month release cycle, slowing it down if you will. This in turn will allow Google to couple more features and functions in each revision and thus create a greater impact when these revisions are released much like the hype & impact surrounding iOS releases.

aznpxdd

Guys, is there a Galaxy S II OT? I can't seem to find it via google searching GAF. Would appreciate it if anyone can link me to it, thanks!

MrBig

Anyone tested UberMusic?

Would love to have a dose of the Metro interface on my tablet.

Speaking of which, are there any more apps that use the Metro design philosophy for non-rooted devices?

tino

Banned
Ah hahahahaha. "everything that needs to be invented already has been".

His lack of vision disturbs me.
Before 3.0 came out, I was hoping android offer a way to run two apps on the same screen like wiandow 8 does with the adjustable split screen.

Either android work on it soon or get chrome running on android soon.

Cipherr

Its ok, his opinion that everything that can be invented already has been, will suspiciously vanish right about the time Apple TV is announced. At this point Android is so healthy, there's really little reason to take offense at crap like that. Men lie, women lie, number don't. The platform is extremely healthy and growing by the day.

kinggroin

Banned
Before 3.0 came out, I was hoping android offer a way to run two apps on the same screen like wiandow 8 does with the adjustable split screen.

Either android work on it soon or get chrome running on android soon.

I'd kill for this.

It would make my life a lot easier when it came to something like doing expenses.

Maybe a mode that lets you two finger swipe between two or three full screen apps like you would your home screens.

man of science

Neo Member
So, I would like to install CM7 on my Atrix, but I can't find a good guide. They all start out very simple and easy to follow and then they all get too confusing. Are all phones this hard to mod or did I just get lucky?

Threi

notag
Anyone tested UberMusic?

Would love to have a dose of the Metro interface on my tablet.

Speaking of which, are there any more apps that use the Metro design philosophy for non-rooted devices?

Works great for me, personally the 4x4 widget is its main draw.

No search though, but like zune you can press the letter boxes to jump alphabetically.

Considering the author though don't expect updates.

kehs

Banned
Oh wow...so Google TV has remote for phones...you can share to the google TV remote via share menu and the link pops up on the google TV box. So it's like chrome to phone. So awesome.

Threi

notag
mine will last about 1 day and 16 hours with display at around 40%. Medium-heavy usage.

Sad that that's considered acceptable these days.

Looking at mine....
SC20111218-100135.png

That does seem a bit high.
The reason you have bad battery life is because something is preventing your phone from sleeping (look at all the period where it's awake despite the screen not being on)

if you disable that you will see improved battery life.

Happened to me, and it turned out to be my network monitor app. Useful, but if it drains battery it's gotta go.

His lack of vision disturbs me.

Ah, so it's satire then.

As an aside, does anybody know how I can have google music not detect podcasts? I like to use doggcatcher to download podcasts because it doesn't chew through my battery like stitcher does, but downloading podcasts fucks up my beautiful google music library until I delete them. Hence I just use stitcher and cry when I see my phone only lasts 8 hours from full charge.

dream

That's not the first time I've seen someone suggest that Google needs to ditch the shackles of Android and start over from a clean slate but I still don't understand why anyone thinks this needs to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom