• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoku88

Ah, so it's satire then.

As an aside, does anybody know how I can have google music not detect podcasts? I like to use doggcatcher to download podcasts because it doesn't chew through my battery like stitcher does, but downloading podcasts fucks up my beautiful google music library until I delete them. Hence I just use stitcher and cry when I see my phone only lasts 8 hours from full charge.

Hmm, that doesn't sound right. Doggcatcher usually puts _nomedia files in its podcasts directories for exactly that reason.

Ashhong

Is there any way to have a better track seeker bar in PowerAmp? It is ridiculously hard to skip forward in a song. The seek area is soooo skinny and small, impossible to accurately select a spot of the song I want to listen to.

Cipherr

That's not the first time I've seen someone suggest that Google needs to ditch the shackles of Android and start over from a clean slate but I still don't understand why anyone thinks this needs to happen.

Because at this point, its the only action that could put an end to its tremendous momentum.

Pctx

Banned
mine will last about 1 day and 16 hours with display at around 40%. Medium-heavy usage.

Sad that that's considered acceptable these days.

The reason you have bad battery life is because something is preventing your phone from sleeping (look at all the period where it's awake despite the screen not being on)

if you disable that you will see improved battery life.

Happened to me, and it turned out to be my network monitor app. Useful, but if it drains battery it's gotta go.

True, however this is a huge challenge for Gingerbread iit seems. My honeycomb tablet doesnt have that problem.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I got a new Galaxy S2, while its a freaking good phone im worried about battery life,
with 3g always on and using it quite a bit and listning to music , the battery lasts like 6 hours is that ok? or should I look for a new battery?

Pctx

Banned
Well my love affair with the skyrocket is over. 100% battery bug means I'm moving back to to the gs2 since that hardware doesn't seem to have any issues.

MercuryLS

Banned
Is it possible to side load Google Currents to my Nexus S? It's a canadian phone so I can't download Currents through the market.

Does the device need to be rooted to do this? Can someone explain if I can do this?

Thoughts Neogaf:

I really want to take advantage of Verizon's deal right now where they up the limit to 4gb from 2gb, but I don't have a lot of disposable income.

So my thought was to just go get the Samsung Stratosphere for free as there aren't really any good phones for about 100$ and I don't really have the money for the Nexus or Razr.

Bad/dumb?

jokkir

Is it possible to side load Google Currents to my Nexus S? It's a canadian phone so I can't download Currents through the market.

Does the device need to be rooted to do this? Can someone explain if I can do this?

Find the apk and install it. Make sure that you allow unknown apps to be installed in settings.

kehs

Banned
Do I need to put the apk in a special folder? Do I need to use an app to install it? Sorry, I've never done this before...

Nah, just open it up through the "downloads" application after downloading, or through a file manager, you'll get a prompt asking for permissions to install.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
what the hell...

normally I figure such things out myself but my mind is blown by this...

I've been having signal issues at my new place..so I had some text messages fail. I decided to reboot. Prior to reboot, I had over 140mb of internal space. After the reboot, I got a message saying I was running low on space. I open up applications under settings and everything was normal but my internal space went from 140 to 35mb. I've searched all my programs and processes and can't find out wtf happened too 100mb of my internal space. I gotta uninstall shit just to get sync working again. >_>

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Well my love affair with the skyrocket is over. 100% battery bug means I'm moving back to to the gs2 since that hardware doesn't seem to have any issues.

Galaxy Note:
8h9Sw.png

I'm not sure if this is a bug or what, but this mf'er is still going strong after 3 days. I have it on standby...this is the longest it's ever gone. Normally, it drains after 2 days or so

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Thoughts Neogaf:

I really want to take advantage of Verizon's deal right now where they up the limit to 4gb from 2gb, but I don't have a lot of disposable income.

So my thought was to just go get the Samsung Stratosphere for free as there aren't really any good phones for about 100$ and I don't really have the money for the Nexus or Razr.

Bad/dumb?

Dumb. Amazon has the Nexus for $150: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0061R2A1S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So I am definitely liking the UI of Pocket Casts, but it seems to quit out of downloading pretty easily. Any idea why? Seems that when I go into a game it quits out and actually a lot of activity makes the downloads just stop.

Also are there any good gaming-related widgets. I have about half a page of game folders now and would love to throw on some little widget on top, even news or whatever but it's hard to search for that stuff.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Only for new contracts. I am already on a family plan so it's 250. I'd rather get the Razr for 230.

Can you do the warranty and stuff through Amazon?

Right now I am leaning towards the Bionic through Best Buy for $150.

If you'd take the Razr over the Nexus for $20, I got nothing for you, dawg.

Shutter still makes sound on silent.

2 options, either download a 3rd party camera app with no shutter sound or you're gonna need a modded camera apk with no shutter sound. some places have laws where the camera shutter must have a sound and several phone manufacturers have been updating their camera software to always make a sound.

Danj

My Optimus 2X arrived today, came with 2.2.2 by default but after running the Windows based LG software update utility it is now on 2.3.4. Loving how responsive it is compared to Android devices I've used in the past. I notice LG have custom clients for Facebook and Twitter, previously I might have been a bit unhappy about that but since the official ones started sucking recently anyway, it actually might be an advantage.

Also I am impressed with the amount of storage this thing has. 2Gb internal storage, 8Gb internal SD card, and an "external" SD card slot (it's not actually external but the OS labels it as external to differentiate it from the internal one I guess). Friend of mine is getting me a 16Gb microSDHC for Christmas.

I notice on the side of the box it lists DivXHD compatibility, wonder if that means it has native MKV support? I will have to try that out.

Bricfa

So Droid Razr vs Galaxy Nexus.
There is a good chance I'll be getting one or the other soon.

What are pros and cons?

From what I can tell the Nexus has shoddy battery life, but an amazing screen and android 4.0.

But I'm liking the physical build of the Razr just a wee bit more. I am worried about blur though, how easy is it to get rid of that?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So Droid Razr vs Galaxy Nexus.
There is a good chance I'll be getting one or the other soon.

What are pros and cons?

From what I can tell the Nexus has shoddy battery life, but an amazing screen and android 4.0.

But I'm liking the physical build of the Razr just a wee bit more. I am worried about blur though, how easy is it to get rid of that?
I have a Droid x2 and once you install a launcher a decent keyboard and a decent camera app you are relatively free of blur at least on the front end as far as I can tell. More devout android officianado's may see it differently though.

tino

Banned
I played with Galaxy Nexus yesterday. I was very impressed by the big screen and the soft buttons. It felt as thin as the Razr on my hand too.

Although I will never buy a phone without a SD slot and removable battery. Fuck that Totalitarian shit!

Zeppu

I played with Galaxy Nexus yesterday. I was very impressed by the big screen and the soft buttons. It felt as thin as the Razr on my hand too.

Although I will never buy a phone without a SD slot and removable battery. Fuck that Totalitarian shit!

Which phone are we talking about again?

SimleuqiR

Nexus Tablet in the pipes?

http://www.droiddog.com/android-blo...f-the-highest-quality-in-the-next-six-months/
In an interview with Italian newspaper Corriere della Sea, Eric Schmidt has indicated the “brutal competition” between the search giant and Apple has opened doors to new direct markets for Google, which now includes tablets. Specifically, Schmidt said that “In the next six months we plan to market a tablet of the highest quality.” Unfortunately, as we might expect, there were no exact details on this particular tablet, even if Schmidt wasn’t shy on hinting the device’s impending release. And, there’s no telling whether or not the device would feature the Nexus brand, or if Google would work with a manufacturer to launch their own brand.

ShdwDrake

Banned

Battery is removable...

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
My Vibrant with CM7 went back into its constant force close fits, so last night I flashed the ICS Passion and my word its beautiful. Haven't had a single issue yet, other than figuring out the quirks of ICS itself versus GB.

mSD would indicate mini SD, a format that is largely unused nowadays.

To indicate micro SD, you can use μSD. The ALT code for μ is 230.

Also, I'm all for principles, but this is a silly principle. There are too many convenient ways to sync wirelessly nowadays that make swapping out tiny, fingernail-sized memory chips seem primitive and a chore in comparison.

tino

Banned
mSD would indicate mini SD, a format that is largely unused nowadays.

To indicate micro SD, you can use μSD. The ALT code for μ is 230.

Also, I'm all for principles, but this is a silly principle. There are too many convenient ways to sync wirelessly nowadays that make swapping out tiny, fingernail-sized memory chips seem primitive and a chore in comparison.
I am not trying to convince you. I need a microSD/SD slot to review files on my camera.

My Vibrant with CM7 went back into its constant force close fits, so last night I flashed the ICS Passion and my word its beautiful. Haven't had a single issue yet, other than figuring out the quirks of ICS itself versus GB.

Passion is quite the good ROM right now. Next version should be based on 4.0.3, too.

Schmidt has a big mouth. Larry Page made the right decision coming back.

Also CM is not always the answer. It was horrifically buggy on the Nexus S. Random reboots all the time on official Cyanogen, and many of the roms it was based on. I rooted my Galaxy Nexus and within a week I'm back to stock. I liked having the search button back, I liked the slightly faster auto rotate and using light flow to customise the LED. I didn't like the reboots and freezing. Then there were the annoying 'update messages' because my rom was so close to stock Google were still trying to push updates to me (which don't work due to the fact I'd changed my recovery image). After a few days the annoyances outweighed any benefits. Having said that If I'd bought something running sense or touchwiz I'd have had no choice but to root. Sense is bloated, confusing and practically redundant in an ICS world. Touchwiz is not so confusing but it's plain ugly.

HEY BIG MANUFACTURER IF YOU WANT TO DIFFERENTIATE YOUR PRODUCT JUST RUN STOCK ANDROID COS NO ONE ELSE DOES. UPDATES WILL BE EASIER AND YOUR UI WILL BE PRETTIER FOR IT.

Pctx

Banned
Galaxy Note:
8h9Sw.png

I'm not sure if this is a bug or what, but this mf'er is still going strong after 3 days. I have it on standby...this is the longest it's ever gone. Normally, it drains after 2 days or so

It's an issue with the .7a vs 1a chargers. It's funny because I used a "non" samsung micro-usb connection to charge my phone in the "samsung" charger and now it's working fine. It seems to be that it needs the legit samsung charger and the cable doesn't matter. I've got a logitech mouse at work that uses the same 1a charger as the samsung in which I used to charge my phone but it caused the bug.

Honestly as I'm thinking about it, I don't care that much and probably won't be taking it back because I like the thing too damn much. Just a weird thing that I have to mindful of.

Welcome to the world of Android right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom