• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

Can the person here who has the Thinkpad Tablet tell me if the firmware updates are safe or not? I saw a bunch of complaints and issues about the early November update on the Lenovo forum but cannot tell if they were resolved and cannot track down any patch notes. Thanks

C.Dark.DN

Banned
My Dad is looking to get a free or $50 smartphone from AT&T.

Looks like the only ones available are:
[OS]
[2.2]LG Phoenix(TM)
[2.2]Pantech Crossover(TM)
[2.2]Samsung Captivate(TM)
[2.2]Impulse 4G by AT&T
[2.2]Samsung DoubleTime(TM)
[2.2]Samsung Infuse(TM) 4G
[2.3]Sony Ericsson Xperia(TM) PLAY 4G

Then there's the
[2.3]MOTOROLA ATRIX(TM) 4G $74.99

Any input on these phones?

gcubed

My Dad is looking to get a free or $50 smartphone from AT&T.

Looks like the only ones available are:
[OS]
[2.2]LG Phoenix(TM)
[2.2]Pantech Crossover(TM)
[2.2]Samsung Captivate(TM)
[2.2]Impulse 4G by AT&T
[2.2]Samsung DoubleTime(TM)
[2.2]Samsung Infuse(TM) 4G
[2.3]Sony Ericsson Xperia(TM) PLAY 4G

Then there's the
[2.3]MOTOROLA ATRIX(TM) 4G $74.99

Any input on these phones?

does he need to buy it from ATT? Get the Atrix 2 through Amazon for 49.99, better then the Atrix 1

It's an issue with the .7a vs 1a chargers. It's funny because I used a "non" samsung micro-usb connection to charge my phone in the "samsung" charger and now it's working fine. It seems to be that it needs the legit samsung charger and the cable doesn't matter. I've got a logitech mouse at work that uses the same 1a charger as the samsung in which I used to charge my phone but it caused the bug.

Honestly as I'm thinking about it, I don't care that much and probably won't be taking it back because I like the thing too damn much. Just a weird thing that I have to mindful of.

Welcome to the world of Android right?

If you're awesome enough, you can solder the correct resistor combination to the D+ and D- lines in your USB cable and it will charge with any charger at the max possible current rating.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
between your list and Amazon, best option looks to be the Atrix 2, it has the same internals as the Bionic without LTE. Not sure if anyone else knows of places with good deals.
How good is gaming and internet browsing on it compared to like a 100$ Android phone and the iPhone 4?

gcubed

How good is gaming and internet browsing on it compared to like a 100$ Android phone and the iPhone 4?

no idea, it will handle almost any android game you can throw at it. Its the same internals as the RAZR as well. Never used either phone for a comparison. My wife uses the older ATrix 4G but the 2 should be better then that (better screen, better processor, etc). Since it follows the same hardware as the RAZR and Bionic, its much safer to say it will be updated to ICS earlier.

With $100 you can get the Sammy Galaxy S2 from Amazon. Which is one of the best you can get

C.Dark.DN

Banned
no idea, it will handle almost any android game you can throw at it. Its the same internals as the RAZR as well. Never used either phone for a comparison. My wife uses the older ATrix 4G but the 2 should be better then that (better screen, better processor, etc). Since it follows the same hardware as the RAZR and Bionic, its much safer to say it will be updated to ICS earlier.

With $100 you can get the Sammy Galaxy S2 from Amazon. Which is one of the best you can get

(Price varies based on service type)

Boo.

When I select upgrade the phone on a family account the Atrix 2 rises to $79 and the Galaxy S II rises to $199.99.

Then the Atrix 1 is $89 compared to AT&T's $74.99.

gcubed

(Price varies based on service type)

Boo.

When I select upgrade the phone on a family account the Atrix 2 rises to $79 and the Galaxy S II rises to $199.99.

ah, well yes, these are all new customer prices. You can get an upgrade Atrix 2 for 49.99 from Best Buy

kehs

Banned
So there's an ICS Rom build (from asop) for Xoom, any takers?

edit: Can any of the guys with ICS and Handcent check if your Google Contact groups show up inside of handcent? Having an issue over here with handcent seeing the groups, but not the actual people inside the groups.

just got the OTA ICS update on my nexus s.

How do I install it?

I DL'ed it then it said restart to install so I did but nothing happened.

I goofed and didnt real all the text now I dont know what to do. lol.

ok so what do I have to do to update it.

my battery was a bit low so maybe I have to charge it up before it will let me install it?

kehs

Banned
just got the OTA ICS update on my nexus s.

How do I install it?

I DL'ed it then it said restart to install so I did but nothing happened.

I goofed and didnt real all the text now I dont know what to do. lol.

ok so what do I have to do to update it.

my battery was a bit low so maybe I have to charge it up before it will let me install it?

Yup, the update won't install if you have less than 50% battery charge. You can just plug it in though, and do the system check again, Settings > About Phone > System Update

Yup, the update won't install if you have less than 50% battery charge. You can just plug it in though, and do the system check again, Settings > About Phone > System Update

battery is at 57% now but system update just says I am already up to date.

:/

I did download and verify the update earlier it just didnt install so maybe its confued?

I guess I will just let my phone charge for another 15 mins and try again?

battery is over 60% and still nothing.

What is the normal update procedure for the nexus s?

Maybe there is something I am missing here. only had the phone a month or so and maybe I am doing something wrong.

battery is over 60% and still nothing.

What is the normal update procedure for the nexus s?

Maybe there is something I am missing here. only had the phone a month or so and maybe I am doing something wrong.

Should just do it automatically. Pull the battery and sim and try to search for the update again.

kehs

Banned
Try doing a manual "check in" through the dialer, it supposedly forces an OTA update if it's available.

Go into the dialer and dial this:

*#*#2432546#*#* You should get a "check in succeeded" notification. Then the update notification in a few mins.

Otherwise you can do the update manually if you want to mess around with going into the recovery.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Perhaps somebody here can help me, or has run into this...

I downloaded the latest update for GingerBread for my Motorola Atrix after my phone prompted me a few times to do so. I installed it and since then, my phone has been in a continuous reboot loop. The longest I've gotten it to stay up is about 15 minutes, but on average, it's rebooting about once every 90 seconds.

I've Google searched, contacted Motorola and researched other forums with little success. When I got it to stay up for 15 minutes, I had disabled the WiFi...turned that back on it borked again. I'm back in Airplane mode, but it still reboots. Anybody else go through this? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Otherwise this thing is going back.

Should just do it automatically. Pull the battery and sim and try to search for the update again.

pulled the battery and sim now it says the battery is only in the 40%'s.

will leave it for a bit to charge and try everything again.

I did download the update.... is that info still on the phone somewhere and its just waiting for the battery to be charged?

thespot84

Try doing a manual "check in" through the dialer, it supposedly forces an OTA update if it's available.

*#*#2432546#*#* You should get a "check in succeeded" notification. Then the update notification in a few mins.

Otherwise you can do the update manually if you want to mess around with going into the recovery.

I thought check in was CDMA only....

So there's an ICS Rom build (from asop) for Xoom, any takers?

edit: Can any of the guys with ICS and Handcent check if your Google Contact groups show up inside of handcent? Having an issue over here with handcent seeing the groups, but not the actual people inside the groups.

i would, but I went back to stock on my Xoom WIFI a month ago to prepare for the OTA update.

should have waited a bit longer... It feels like they are taking forever to release any ICS updates for tablets.

checked in a few minutes ago.

still no update.

charged some more and system updates still wont re download the ICS update.

ok how to I manual update this thing?

thespot84

Hmm, I always thought it was a check in with google servers regardless of network type.

I think it actually has to do with the servers on the carrier's end, that has a similar functionality to updating your roaming capabilities (it says 'HI, I'm a phone on your network, I exist, and here's the tower I'm connected to), but is a CDMA feature (best I can tell)

Lesiroth

So am I correct in thinking Go Launcher is top dog now in alternative launcher land? I looked around for other launchers that might be better, but it seems LauncherPro is no longer developed and ADW's free version is lacking.

While I'm at it,what do you guys suggest as good theme for Go Launcher? I'm kinda sick of the TouchWiz look.

thespot84

just a heads up (i wasn't paying close enough attention and missed this), for anyone that uses a cisco VPN client for anything ICS supports it out of the box.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Running ICS on my Incredible and it's surprisingly usable for a pre-alpha ROM, but I'm not sure it's up to daily driver status. Love a lot of the changes in ICS so I don't really want to go back.

Sh1ner

Upgraded my nexus S to ICS 4.03 I like some of the changes. The one feature that is missing, the one I wanted most:

Contact chips, when texting a friend, lets say you want to switch mobile numbers, you click the contact in the send field and it offers you to switch numbers. Saw this on the galaxy nexus video at the unveiling. Not available on the Nexus S tho!!! :[

Can anyone verify if this is available on the galaxy nexus?

kehs

Banned
Upgraded my nexus S to ICS 4.03 I like some of the changes. The one feature that is missing, the one I wanted most:

Contact chips, when texting a friend, lets say you want to switch mobile numbers, you click the contact in the send field and it offers you to switch numbers. Saw this on the galaxy nexus video at the unveiling. Not available on the Nexus S tho!!! :[

Can anyone verify if this is available on the galaxy nexus?

You can't do it from the default messaging app while composing, but if you're in a thread you can hit the contact chip and start a new message to a different number. (Nexus S)

What they actually showed though, was for emailing in the gmail app, (which does work).

also google really need to allow people to change text size in the messaging app.

I dont want to have to use some 3rd party ad supported bullshit because I dont have perfect 20:20 vision.

messaging got a overhaul in ICS but I think they made the text even smaller.

kehs

Banned
also google really need to allow people to change text size in the messaging app.

I dont want to have to use some 3rd party add supported bullshit because I dont have perfect 20:20 vision.

messaging got a overhaul in ICS but I think they made the text even smaller.

Yeah, the new font is smaller than the old font. You can go to accessability and make the entire font bigger everywhere(OS) though. (looks like shit though)

ElfoMan

What is the best phone I can get for around $200 unlocked (without contract) that works on AT&T frequencies ? It's christmas gift for someone...

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom