• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my Galaxy S 2 for Sprint. So nice. The screen is beautiful. And it runs like a charm. Barely any lag except for when it was loading my music up.

r1chard

I wonder what Gruber's take on this will be.

No, wait. I don't.

Christ, it's pretty simple really. Those manufacturers need people to keep upgrading phone hardware. Of course they're going to stop rolling out upgrades. Just like my wife's iPhone 3G is hobbled and then ignored by successive iOS upgrades. Apple wants her to upgrade just like the Android manufacturers want people to.

I bought a Nexus S knowing that I'd get the OS upgrades and even though I'm now running ICS I'm quite interested in upgrading the hardware was well ...

Ashhong

No, wait. I don't.

Christ, it's pretty simple really. Those manufacturers need people to keep upgrading phone hardware. Of course they're going to stop rolling out upgrades. Just like my wife's iPhone 3G is hobbled and then ignored by successive iOS upgrades. Apple wants her to upgrade just like the Android manufacturers want people to.

I bought a Nexus S knowing that I'd get the OS upgrades and even though I'm now running ICS I'm quite interested in upgrading the hardware was well ...

None of this makes it OK for them to promise updates for 18 months and then go back on it. The 3G was supported for like 2 years.

Vyer

No, wait. I don't.

It doesn't seem much like that at all. Aren't some of those phones they wouldn't comment on less than a year old?

kehs

Banned
This is why you should all buy Nexus phones. See that lonely Nexus S? Yup, it's already been pushed the official Android 4.0.3 ICS OTA. See my shiny Tuna? Yup, I'm sure that when Android 5.0 Eternal Darkness is available, my Tuna will be updated. Will any of your phones?

My OG Nexus got shafted.

Google is a dirty dirty two faced liar.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
This is why you should all buy Nexus phones. See that lonely Nexus S? Yup, it's already been pushed the official Android 4.0.3 ICS OTA. See my shiny Tuna? Yup, I'm sure that when Android 5.0 Eternal Darkness is available, my Tuna will be updated. Will any of your phones?

Thank god for the community I got tons of updates for my captivate but now alot moved on ;;

newjeruse

HTC God phone is around the corner in Spring. I'll wait for that.

Husker86

I just got an extended battery and case for my Thunderbolt. This thing is a hilarious brick.

Haha yeah I'm rocking the Thunderbolt now; the normal thickness should be what it's like with an extended battery. I couldn't bring myself to getting an actual physically bigger battery.

anyone ever have google lose their entire purchase history?

"My Apps" are there.. it just doesn't think I've purchased any of them.. same goes for market.android.com

I was enjoying being back on Android for a change after using a WP 7 device.. but I'm about ready to dump google for good over this shit...

edit - and now they're back.. ridiculous. Fix your servers, google.

Danj

Is there a "Best Android Market Apps" thread anywhere? Just wondering if there's anything else I should be installing on my awesome new Optimus 2X. (Also I'm in the UK so can't use the Amazon Appstore).

iavi

I really hope they work on thinness.

If HTC released a black aluminum evo successor with the exact same design mantra as the 4G sans buttons--ferari red accents, thickness and everything-ill cry. I'll fucking cry. Do it to me, HTC. The 3d is ugly as hell, sturdy, but ugly

If HTC released a black aluminum evo successor with the exact same design mantra as the 4G sans buttons--ferari red accents, thickness and everything-ill cry. I'll fucking cry. Do it to me, HTC. The 3d is ugly as hell, sturdy, but ugly

And they'll only stick a 1200mah battery in it.

Sure, wheres the link?

Okay cool, just wanted to make sure it's okay.

The game is called, SocioTown: The Uninvited Guests
web: https://market.android.com/details?id=air.sociotownuninvitedguestsv1.A2.A0droidr1.A0.A0
mobile: search for "SocioTown" in Android market

It's an adventure game somewhat inspired by Manic Mansion and similar games. This was my first time developing a game on a handheld device, so I got all giddy inside the first time I had the game running in my hands. :)

panda21

I really want google to do well since they make some awesome stuff, but they keep screwing themselves so badly, I don't understand how they can't see it.

Every time they are like "Hey! Check out our new hotness!!!", they get media fanfare, then its always "Oh wait you actually want to use it?! wait 4 months plz".

They are such a huge company I'm sure they could fix the upgrade problem if they wanted to. It almost seems like they are doing it on purpose to make the Nexus more competitive against the other phones, but screwing themselves over in the process by making android in general look bad.

I would be willing to be they show off Majel to great applause soon, but it won't actually be available for a significant portion of android users until this time next year.

Blackhead

Redarse
I need a backup guide to follow before experimenting with custom ROMs. I have ROM Manager, Titanium backup and Titanium media sync and I'd like to know how to restore all my apps and settings after a system wipe or if something goes wrong. A step-by-step guide would be greatly appreciated.

Angst

I need a backup guide to follow before experimenting with custom ROMs. I have ROM Manager, Titanium backup and Titanium media sync and I'd like to know how to restore all my apps and settings after a system wipe or if something goes wrong. A step-by-step guide would be greatly appreciated.

If you do a nandroid backup before flashing you can always restore that if things go wrong. As long as you have a recovery on your phone you are pretty safe. Restoring a backup with titanium after flashing a new ROM - not the best idea IMO. I've tried it a couple of times with pretty bad results, apps not showing up in the launcher etc. I'd recommend reinstalling your apps instead.

Lesiroth

So GAF, I need your advice. A guy I know is offering to trade my SGS 1 for an almost brand-new HTC Incredible S. The deal looks enticing, but are the differences worth moving over? I know the IS has a better camera, but I don't really use phone cameras a lot. There's also the fact that the IS has the slower Adreno 205 GPU, and I'd be giving up the SAMOLED and internal memory. Will any of these be even updated to ICS? Decisions, decisions...

So GAF, I need your advice. A guy I know is offering to trade my SGS 1 for an almost brand-new HTC Incredible S. The deal looks enticing, but are the differences worth moving over? I know the IS has a better camera, but I don't really use phone cameras a lot. There's also the fact that the IS has the slower Adreno 205 GPU, and I'd be giving up the SAMOLED and internal memory. Will any of these be even updated to ICS? Decisions, decisions...

Why would you do this?

The SGS 1 is a better device in every way except for the camera..

that guy is trying to rip you off, imo.

Lesiroth

Why would you do this?

The SGS 1 is a better device in every way except for the camera..

that guy is trying to rip you off, imo.

You think it's that decisive? What about future support? Will the IS get updated to ICS officially or will it be left behind like the SGS too?
What about Sense? IIRC, it's a whole lot better than TouchWiz.

gcubed

You think it's that decisive? What about future support? Will the IS get updated to ICS officially or will it be left behind like the SGS too?

I find sense to be a horrible front end and a resource hog

have you seen the benchmarks on the T-Mobile GS2 vs the HTC Amaze? same SoC, Amaze performs decisively worse on every benchmark! Sense is a resource hog even on the same hardware! now imagine with hardware that isn't even up to par...

it's not an even trade! maybe $100 with the Incredible S would make it fair... not really.

also, ICS seems to have taken quite a few cues from TouchWiz, so i'd say Samsung was headed in the right direction.

have you seen the benchmarks on the T-Mobile GS2 vs the HTC Amaze? same SoC, Amaze performs decisively worse on every benchmark! Sense is a resource hog even on the same hardware! now imagine with hardware that isn't even up to par...

it's not an even trade! maybe $100 with the Incredible S would make it fair... not really.

also, ICS seems to have taken quite a few cues from TouchWiz, so i'd say Samsung was headed in the right direction.

he's talking about the SGS I

even the SGS I is better hardware wise than the Incredible S.

I'm not convinced that the SGS 1 or the Incredible S will get official builds of ICS..

For me personally, it would be a hardware question.. since I'd be loading cyanogenmod on either of them rather than using the stock rom.

Lesiroth

Yeah, I think I'll stick with my SGS. What convinced me is that CM isn't that well supported on IS, and since none are getting officially updated, CM is what I'll depend on. Thanks guys.
Shame I'll miss on the extra RAM though.

he's talking about the SGS I

even the SGS I is better hardware wise than the Incredible S.

I'm not convinced that the SGS 1 or the Incredible S will get official builds of ICS..

For me personally, it would be a hardware question.. since I'd be loading cyanogenmod on either of them rather than using the stock rom.

i'm talking about the SGS1 too! i only pointed out the TMo SGS2 vs Amaze to show that TouchWiz has better performance than Sense on similar hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom