• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is there any way to have a privacy mode for Google Voice notifications? And is there a way to integrate Voice Actions to use Google Voice instead of SMS?

This switch over from not using SMS is a little more of an issue than I thought. Still worth the $20 extra a month, though.

And how do I deal with Google 2 step verification? I might just pay for the individual texts.

Husker86

Is there any way to have a privacy mode for Google Voice notifications? And is there a way to integrate Voice Actions to use Google Voice instead of SMS?

This switch over from not using SMS is a little more of an issue than I thought. Still worth the $20 extra a month, though.

And how do I deal with Google 2 step verification? I might just pay for the individual texts.

The few times I've used Voice Actions on my Thunderbolt to send a text it asked me if I wanted to send through GV or the stock app.

gcubed

once you install an app that associates with a function that is already associated, when you do something, it will ask you which one you want to use (and you can choose a default).

What about google 2 step? I have used it for over a year, works great and for how much of my life is in google services i would never go back

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Thanks, guys. I haven't even tried voice actions yet. I was just wondering. I don't recall it asking my default SMS on N1 on Gingerbread but I may be forgetting.

What about google 2 step? I have used it for over a year, works great and for how much of my life is in google services i would never go back

Since I get a text message to my phone with the code, it is an issue if I don't pay for text messages. So I'll have to pay ala carte.

gcubed

Thanks, guys. I haven't even tried voice actions yet. I was just wondering. I don't recall it asking my default SMS on N1 on Gingerbread but I may be forgetting.

Since I get a text message to my phone with the code, it is an issue if I don't pay for text messages. So I'll have to pay ala carte.

you should only get a text message with the code when you sign up. You would have to pay 10 cents for it. I dont know if you can use gvoice for activating 2 step

SimleuqiR

You can set up the 2-step verification to call your phone instead of texting, when setting up the Authentication app, on your brand new GN. Once that's done you shouldn't need to receive the code via text and just use the app (of course you will need an internet connection, but since you will be trying to access your Google account(s) I guess this is a given).

you should only get a text message with the code when you sign up. You would have to pay 10 cents for it. I dont know if you can use gvoice for activating 2 step

Google recommends not to. See my reply above. They allow you to get the initial code via a phone call.

Circle T

Interesting side note:

Under the sync settings on 4.0.3 Picas Web albums no longer appears, instead it says "Google Photos". Looks like the Picasa death is immement.
Been that way for a while, actually. My VZW Nexus is still on 4.0.2, and it says Google Photos. My Captivate, with its 4.0.0 source-built ROM, says it as well.

AndyD

aka andydumi
meh. If apple tries to sue their patent would get invalidated pretty quickly due to prior art. I see nothing coming of it

The point is that it would still take a lot of money and a lot of litigation to invalidate it. Even with the recent changes at the PTO.

I do think though it will come to a head soon and some company is going to say screw it, fight it to the Supreme Court and destroy software patents as a whole.

Bboy AJ

The few times I've used Voice Actions on my Thunderbolt to send a text it asked me if I wanted to send through GV or the stock app.

Alright, maybe I'm doing this wrong. I'm on a GN LTE. I hit the Microphone at the top of the homescreen. I say "Send text." All that pops up is a box. There's no GVoice or SMS option. Do I actually have to hit send before the option comes up?

tino

Banned
The point is that it would still take a lot of money and a lot of litigation to invalidate it. Even with the recent changes at the PTO.

I do think though it will come to a head soon and some company is going to say screw it, fight it to the Supreme Court and destroy software patents as a whole.

Or they can copy the MS/Novell suit and fight it for a deced until the patent become completely irrelevent.

And then it will end in a mistrail.

Does anyone know if the paid Winamp Android app can handle m3u playlists for streaming music? I want to use it for archive.org, but don't quite trust myself to ascertain this within fifteen minutes of shelling out BIG FIVE DOLLARS.

kehs

Banned
Alright, maybe I'm doing this wrong. I'm on a GN LTE. I hit the Microphone at the top of the homescreen. I say "Send text." All that pops up is a box. There's no GVoice or SMS option. Do I actually have to hit send before the option comes up?

Clear the defaults for the Messaging application if you don't get an option.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

The patent portfolios of big companies are worth billions. There is no way that the supreme court would invalidate the whole system and wipe out hundreds of billions of US companies value. Plus every big company would fight tooth and nail to prevent it.

Beezy

To all you Handcent SMS users, do you use the default layout? I like the app, but it's so ugly compared to android 4.0's default messenger. Can you post a screenshot of your custom layout if you're using one?

To all you Handcent SMS users, do you use the default layout? I like the app, but it's so ugly compared to android 4.0's default messenger. Can you post a screenshot of your custom layout if you're using one?

Thats the reason I dont use handcent on the GNexus. Stock is beautiful... I might just DL SMS Popup though. Cant believe Google didnt include that feature at this point in the game.

kehs

Banned
So interestingly enough, the Nexus S still supports UMS, and moving apps to the "sd card" after the update.

I'm curious if a factory rest would change it to a setup similar to the GN.

do they update through the market after you download them?

I grabbed Agenda Widget through there, and the updates were later processed through the Android Market, but I'm not sure if it was just a fluke or not.

How legit is this? Will we get future updates?

Pretty legit.

gcubed

So interestingly enough, the Nexus S still supports UMS, and moving apps to the "sd card" after the update.

I'm curious if a factory rest would change it to a setup similar to the GN.

I grabbed Agenda Widget through there, and the updates were later processed through the Android Market, but I'm not sure if it was just a fluke or not.

Pretty legit.

there is gym babes!!! see girls running in the gym on your phone! for free! way to go getjar

jayb

Pretty legit.

interesting, none of the apps I've downloaded from Get Jar are able to be updated through the android market.

Devs are able to publish updates to GetJar, and the newest version of the Get Jar app will notify you when there's an app update. The other day I was notified of a Beautiful Widget update. Edit: blog post about it... http://blog.getjar.com/developer/updates/

From what I understand, Devs get paid per download on GetJar.

kehs

Banned
interesting, none of the apps I've downloaded from Get Jar are able to be updated through the android market.

Devs are able to publish updates to GetJar, and the newest version of the Get Jar app will notify you when there's an app update. The other day I was notified of a Beautiful Widget update.

From what I understand, Devs get paid per download on GetJar.

I just realized Agenda Widget does the seperate-apk-key-to-unlock thing. Actually...most of the apps I got from amazon/getjar use that system, so the updates to the apps are linked from the market. Heh.

SimleuqiR

I've always defended sense....but those group icons.....wut.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1403859

tumblr_lndpat27cQ1qeo0zjo1_500.gif

ICS shouldn't be touched, unless is Mr. Duarte himself doing the touching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom