• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermit7

Shit, tried throwing Cyanogen and then MIUI on my phone all goddamn day. For some reason I am apparently incompetent.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
hermit7 said:
Shit, tried throwing Cyanogen and then MIUI on my phone all goddamn day. For some reason I am apparently incompetent.
Are you rooted? What phone do you have? Do you have clock work recovery installed? Did you boot into recovery? Did you do a full wipe before hand? I love MIUI so its totally worth it to get it working to me.

hermit7

Enduin said:
Are you rooted? What phone do you have? Do you have clock work recovery installed? Did you boot into recovery? Did you do a full wipe before hand? I love MIUI so its totally worth it to get it working to me.

Rooted, I had downgraded via SBF, and tried to use ROM Manager.

Droid X. Whenever I applied the update in clockwork mod, it would reboot and go into vanilla 2.2 FroYo. I am not sure exactly why it is not working.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
hermit7 said:
Rooted, I had downgraded via SBF, and tried to use ROM Manager.

Droid X. Whenever I applied the update in clockwork mod, it would reboot and go into vanilla 2.2 FroYo. I am not sure exactly why it is not working.
Hmm I'm nor quite sure what the issue is. I would go to the droid x forums on the xda site and follow their instructions to the letter. You marry be missing a step or have to reroot. You may need to be using a specific version of clockwork.

hermit7

Enduin said:
Hmm I'm nor quite sure what the issue is. I would go to the droid x forums on the xda site and follow their instructions to the letter. You marry be missing a step or have to reroot. You may need to be using a specific version of clockwork.

That may be the case. I am retrying now, with the Gingerbread Kerna. Have you used that one?

JCX

What is the best twitter app for tablets? The official twitter app is just for phones. I wish the iPad app would be ported over.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
hermit7 said:
That may be the case. I am retrying now, with the Gingerbread Kerna. Have you used that one?
Well there are tons of different kernels out there and most roms usually come with one. That shouldn't be prohibiting you from flashing a new rom though. I have an HTC inspire for the record and I'm using the latest build of MIUI with a custom kernel specifically made for MIUI inspire.

This link should help. XDA Droid X MIUI

GatorBait

Zapages said:
192ohx.jpg
I always wondered...what does the blue line signify?

tino

Banned
Copernicus said:
Yeah, but H doesn't exist for them since it was never aosp'ed....so...

Maybe Google will change their mind and release Honeycomb code a year down the road. Not that it matters either way.

hermit7

Enduin said:
Well there are tons of different kernels out there and most roms usually come with one. That shouldn't be prohibiting you from flashing a new rom though. I have an HTC inspire for the record and I'm using the latest build of MIUI with a custom kernel specifically made for MIUI inspire.

This link should help. XDA Droid X MIUI

I figured it out. When I went to install it after SBFing I rooted my phone in FroYo. After taking the OTA the Superuser permissions fucked up, and remained to an extent so it did not properly root.

I have since SBFed again, took the OTA to .605 and then rooted again. Flashed into recovery and then applied the ROM, as I normally would.

The issue thus is that rooted in FroYo, and then when upgrading to GB it bugged out which is a known issue.

Only issue that I am having for the moment is Sound issues. I can't seem to find the individualized app settings to vibrate for SMS, and for calls. Any ideas?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If your version of miui is the same as mine in layout the phone and messeging settings should be in the programs tab of settings. If not it should be somewhere in the settings there possibly under the systems tab.

CoilShot

Anyone have experience with droid bionic? Im using a droid charge and having alot problems with it was wondering if this phone would be better.

Circle T

CoilShot said:
Anyone have experience with droid bionic? Im using a droid charge and having alot problems with it was wondering if this phone would be better.
I don't have a Bionic, but I DO have a Charge, and really like it. What problems are you seeing?

CoilShot

Circle T said:
I don't have a Bionic, but I DO have a Charge, and really like it. What problems are you seeing?
major slowdowns, battery life and not being able to answer phone calls

Major slowdowns while using maps and software to the point it took 1 min to load my map info.

Ive tried everything to fix it also aka turning off wifi,gps, and screen brightness for the battery life. It's gotten so bad I've had to carry two standard batteries on me.

I've received phone calls sometimes I couldnt answer. Yes I'm serious :(

Circle T

CoilShot said:

Major slowdowns while using maps and software to the point it took 1 min to load my map info.

Ive tried everything to fix it also aka turning off wifi,gps, and screen brightness for the battery life. It's gotten so bad I've had to carry two standard batteries on me.

Hmm, I've never had any of those issues. Are you on stock firmware, or do you use a custom ROM? I should have probably said that I use the "GummyCharge" custom ROM (2.3.4 / EXT4). It is based on the leaked Gingerbread official firmware, which I hear fixed a lot of issues. Perhaps your issues were some of those tweaks, because the phone has been pretty much flawless for me, with no problems like you're seeing.

Sorry I'm not more help.

thespot84

CoilShot said:

Sounds like my OG Droid

CoilShot

Circle T said:
Hmm, I've never had any of those issues. Are you on stock firmware, or do you use a custom ROM? I should have probably said that I use the "GummyCharge" custom ROM (2.3.4 / EXT4). It is based on the leaked Gingerbread official firmware, which I hear fixed a lot of issues. Perhaps your issues were some of those tweaks, because the phone has been pretty much flawless for me, with no problems like you're seeing.

Sorry I'm not more help.
Im on 2.2.1

Not to sound like an idiot but how do I update my firmware? It's saying my system is up to date when I ran a system update.

Circle T

CoilShot said:
Im on 2.2.1

Not to sound like an idiot but how do I update my firmware? It's saying my system is up to date when I ran a system update.
Well, the "Official" way is just like you did, through the Settings menu, checking for firmware. The first leak of and official build of Gingerbread was a while back, though, and was followed by 2 more later. One would think that and official version will be coming soon-ish.

If you are open to trying custom firmwares, then there is a multitude of ways to do that. I would only do that, though, if you are FULLY comfortable doing so, as you can really mess your phone up if things go wrong.

Circle T said:

Sorry I'm not more help.

It looks like there is a leak for 2.3.5 GB. Gummy has not gotten his hands on it, but other devs have and it is FAST!

Circle T

DaveTheSnake said:
It looks like there is a leak for 2.3.5 GB. Gummy has not gotten his hands on it, but other devs have and it is FAST!
I did see that, but I'm taking the "Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It" approach with this phone lately. I'm running 2.0 RC 1.5, and it has been totally bulletproof for me. I have heard that the recent leaks are getting MUCH more stable and speedy, though, so I'm excited to see some new stuff come out based on them.

Mrbob

Damn the man. I missed the Galaxy S 4G prepaid sale at Tmobile for the refurbished model. $199 and now sold out. :(

Guess I'll stick with the Motorola Triumph. Best Buy has it on sale for 279.99 and I can get a 35 dollar virgin card for activation in store.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Anyone seen the Atrix 2 and Captivate Slide announced?

Captivate Slide has a nice looking keyboard, and is specced nice (dual core, etc). Atrix 2 looks like a boring upgrade though.

I'd link but I'm on my phone.

allreal

Hello android community,

Recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S II and I am pretty excited(coming in the mail). Coming from a 3gs, I am uncertain what the droid market has in store for me. I have a couple questions on the droid market place and os.

I am a little unsure on how the marketplace works.

From what I understand anyone is able to create apps and upload them into the marketplace, is this correct? Is there some kind of certification process that the apps must go through in order to be sold on the marketplace? Seems like this could cause some problems due to viruses/spyware?

What are some of the must have apps?

Also unsure of what rooting is. Is this similar to jailbreaks? (I had a this whole fiasco with my iphone after i jailbroke it. I could not install more recent firmware, thus limiting me on the types of apps that I was able to download. Which absolutely sucked.) Pretty tech saavy, but bricking my phone was not an option.

Lastly, what is the best source of information(forum) for anything android and the process of rooting.

Thank you, thought I would ask first since this thread is quite active and often on the front page of the ot before I dive into google.

kehs

Banned
download nightly cm roms randomly....always works

download final releases.....always wrecks havoc on my phone

/-_-\

-----

allreal: the default android market isn't curated, but when something malicious does appear, Google has the capacity to remove it as well as remove it from installed devices.

I'm looking for a really good music player for my new Infuse 4G.

I'm used to my blackberry, so I want a player that lets me hold down the volume buttons to go forward/back through my song list, maybe use the mute button on my headphones to play/pause music.

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom