• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
I am in Taiwan about to pick up a Galaxy Note,

is there something wrong with the phone?

It runs Gingerbread with Touchwiz and the S-Pen has some UX faux pas. Oh and one version doesnt have NFC. Those niggling issues aside (or deal breakers in my case), it's an amazing device.

Sarcasm

It runs Gingerbread with Touchwiz and the S-Pen has some UX faux pas. Oh and one version doesnt have NFC. Those niggling issues aside (or deal breakers in my case), it's an amazing device.

So how do you know which is which? It would be nice to know which has NFC since phones are expensive here. But that's how they roll here, no contracts ever.

Blackhead

Redarse
So how do you know which is which? It would be nice to know which has NFC since phones are expensive here. But that's how they roll here, no contracts ever.

I think only the one sold in Korea has NFC. You'll want the korean version too as that has LTE as well. I'm bot sure how to tell.. The label on the battery? Ask the sellers and check in the store before taking it home, I guess, I'm not sure how this works in Taiwan...

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Nobody has the Galaxy Note. It's not due for release state-side until this year.

Also, nobody cares about WP7. That's why Verizon doesn't carry any WP7 devices worth mentioning, they already have the most Android devices of any US carrier and they have the iPhone. They also have 128 markets live on LTE already and will have 75% of the nation covered with glorious blisteringly-fast
battery-killing
LTE speed by the end of this year. They don't need anything else to continue their utter humilation of AT&T at this point.

I have the intl. version, it supports att bands

GLONASS being in the specifications should prove without a doubt that it's a snapdragon.

Kind of unfortunate that there are capactive buttons but its probably still possible to enable the soft buttons.

GLONASS is in the Exynos version as well

Sarcasm

This is the note I get access to:

itoCncQcs9Wmo.PNG

Circle T

A lot of people are bummed that it is not the Sammy Exynos but in order for AT&T to justify the LTE devices, they are stuck with Qualcomm until Sammy brings the pain later in Q2 with their own LTE chipset.

I've used both the GS2 and the Skyrocket and I honestly can't tell a difference. I also don't care about benchmarks which don't do me a spit lick of good. Very happy with my Skyrocket's performance.

I may however change my tune once LTE lights up in Portland and my battery starts making baby crying noises....
Yup, I agree. People keep mentioning how the GSII is much faster and smoother than the Nexus. That might be so, but I'll be damned if I can tell in my day to day use of them. Like you, I care more about the actual usage of the phone, not what a couple benchmarks say.

longdi

Banned
Is GS2 really smoother than GN? I thought ICS will give hardware acceleration to the UI? Disappointed if true.

Anyhow a heads up, i have downloaded a couple of free full games from samsung apps store, get them while still available! i love free games! :D

Circle T

Is GS2 really smoother than GN? I thought ICS will give hardware acceleration to the UI? Disappointed if true.

Anyhow a heads up, i have downloaded a couple of free full games from samsung apps store, get them while still available! i love free games! :D

Well, the hardware of the GSII is a bit stronger than the Nexus, and it only has to render 800x480 worth of screen, so it stands to reason that the GSII would, from a technical standpoint, be better than the Nexus. Like I said though, in my day-to-day usage of both, I can't tell. They are both really nice phones. ICS is excellent, though, and as such, my Nexus is my go-to device.

DrFunk

..so you need a manga to explain it:

f8a0b2134ef78e00f9dd83279c78fbca.png

Whilst Japanese manga comics encompass a variety of different subjects and story-lines, you might be surprised to learn that Google’s Android operating system has been given a comic of its very own, and its called “Sweet Android High-school”.

Sweet Android Highschool chronicles the pursuits of the world’s most notable Android vendors, including Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola and Sony Ericsson. However, instead of referencing them by their brand name, this comic refers to each of the manufacturers with the following names:

Moto-Laura-chan (Motorola)
Sam-Sung-chan (Samsung)
H-T-Syee-chan (HTC)
Elle-G-chan (LG)
Soni-Eri-chan (Sony Ericsson)

Apple is listed also, and is known as Apple-kun.

According to Asiajin, the recent Google buyout of Motorola has been captured, with Google marrying Moto-Laura-chan. The Asia-focused website says that the high-school teacher “does not give precedence to her” and “everyone tends to forget about the marriage”.

As you may have noticed, none of the above companies are Japanese, therefore they are characterised as international students.

Japanese students Sharp (Sharp-chan), Fujitsu-Toshiba (Fuji-Toru-chan) and Casio-NEC (Kashio-Nko-chan), represent the Japanese contingent and are said to be anxious and complain all the time.

You can read more about the characters, here.

We have sought translation of some of the comics but you can clearly see some of the comics referencing Google’s Ice Cream Sandwich update and the new Galaxy Nexus.

Asiajin says that the comic “runs on extra editions of Weekly ASCII, a PC magazine with long history in Japan,” that also publishes some excerpts online, here.

http://weekly.ascii.jp/elem/000/000/071/71299/

http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/01/02/android-has-its-own-manga-comic-sweet-android-high-school/

I got a Nook Color for xmas, put full gingerbread on it 2.3.7 and loving it so far. This is my first android device, all other devices are iOS. Lightyears beyond the stock Barnes and Noble software which on top of being very limited was also very slow. My Nook Color is very snappy and exactly what I wanted from a $200 tablet.

so far I have installed
-Dolphin HD
-ereader software (nook, kindle, kobo)
-Perfect Viewer for comics
-Netflix, MX video player
-games (angry birds, fruit ninja)

looking for recommendations/must have apps. Also any way to make the on screen icons bigger would be nice, so far none of the ADW Launcher themes have given me what I wanted.

kehs

Banned
I got a Nook Color for xmas, put full gingerbread on it 2.3.7 and loving it so far. This is my first android device, all other devices are iOS. Lightyears beyond the stock Barnes and Noble software which on top of being very limited was also very slow. My Nook Color is very snappy and exactly what I wanted from a $200 tablet.

so far I have installed
-Dolphin HD

looking for recommendations/must have apps. Also any way to make the on screen icons bigger would be nice, so far none of the ADW Launcher themes have given me what I wanted.

Look into something called DPI changer (not the exact name), but that will affect the entire device and not just the launcher.

AndyD

aka andydumi

so far I have installed
-Dolphin HD

Go Launcher has some options for bigger icons, worth a try to see if it does what you want.

DrFunk

7-inch Eee Pad Memo leaked:

eee-pad-leak.jpg

The ASUS news, it just keeps on flowin'. Shortly after getting a sneak peek at the Eee PC Flare, in flies yet another leaked image of yet another leaked ASUS product. This go 'round, we're looking at what's purportedly the 7-inch Eee Memo Pad, a handy little fellow that'll ship with a 1.2GHz dual-core Snapdragon processor, 16GB to 64GB of internal storage space, built-in 3G, WiFi and a 1,280 x 800 screen resolution. It's hard to say what edition of Android will pop up when this is formally unveiled next week at CES, but we're guessing that it'll stick its tongue out at the long-awaited Padfone as it's introduced, regardless.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/02/7-inch-asus-eee-memo-pad-gets-leaked-1-2ghz-dual-core-snapdrago/

Yesterday, I finally bit the bullet and jumped on Ziggy's kernel for the Rezound. Then, I overclocked to 1.83 GHz and disabled the file that keeps only one core active until a load. My Quadrant score has jumped dramatically (2632) and the phone just seems generally snappier. The extra power drain isn't too bad because I've got the extended battery.

longdi

Banned
Well, the hardware of the GSII is a bit stronger than the Nexus, and it only has to render 800x480 worth of screen, so it stands to reason that the GSII would, from a technical standpoint, be better than the Nexus. Like I said though, in my day-to-day usage of both, I can't tell. They are both really nice phones. ICS is excellent, though, and as such, my Nexus is my go-to device.

You cant tell then that is bad...i was eagerly awaiting for ICS to improve the UI scrolling and transitions. 60fps locked in all google core apps not happening...?
as fast as TW is, my sister old iPhone4 wins in smoothness.

Circle T

You cant tell then that is bad...i was eagerly awaiting for ICS to improve the UI scrolling and transitions. 60fps locked in all google core apps not happening...?

Well, then it sounds like you will be disappointed. Like I said about benchmarks, I have no clue what the framerate is. Using the phone feels fine to me, which is what I want. Nice, fast and fluid. I don't care about framerates, benchmarks, etc. If the phone runs well, I'm happy. YMMV

To everybody with a galaxy s 2:

Do your wallpapers show up blurry? Any wallpaper that I add myself shows up blurry as if it were a low res image. Is this a known issue?

Where the hell is my Galaxy Tab 7.7? Pretty soon I'll be a little bitch and go "wah, it's not even 2560x1600, I'm waiting for something BETTER"

Yup, I agree. People keep mentioning how the GSII is much faster and smoother than the Nexus. That might be so, but I'll be damned if I can tell in my day to day use of them. Like you, I care more about the actual usage of the phone, not what a couple benchmarks say.

The thing is you could tell in day to day use not just benchmark. When I was switching back and forth with with the GS2 and Gnex, it was night and day. The browser for example, if you go to a page with a lot of pictures, the Gnex will struggle to scroll smoothly , it becomes very choppy. While the GS2 handles any website smooth as butter. This also present when scrolling thru your photo gallary, you can swipe effortly from picture to picture on the GS2 but on the Gnex the picture take a bit of rendering. And I'm running 4.0.3 on the gnex.
Typing is also a bit slower on the Gnex than GS2 when using the same type of keyboard. Sometimes when I type to fast the Gnex lags.

Some might say I'm bais but I'm not. I had 2 units in the same time and was able to do side by side comparison, which a lot of people don't have the opportunaty to compare. I just say how I see it. Even reviews sites don't bother about the lil things.

But guess what unit I kept?..the gnex.

Circle T

The thing is you could tell in day to day use not just benchmark. When I was switching back and forth with with the GS2 and Gnex, it was night and day. The browser for example, if you go to a page with a lot of pictures, the Gnex will struggle to scroll smoothly , it becomes very choppy. While the GS2 handles any website smooth as butter. This also present when scrolling thru your photo gallary, you can swipe effortly from picture to picture on the GS2 but on the Gnex the picture take a bit of rendering. And I'm running 4.0.3 on the gnex.
Typing is also a bit slower on the Gnex than GS2 when using the same type of keyboard. Sometimes when I type to fast the Gnex lags.

Some might say I'm bais but I'm not. I had 2 units in the same time and was able to do side by side comparison, which a lot of people don't have the opportunaty to compare. I just say how I see it. Even reviews sites don't bother about the lil things.

But guess what unit I kept?..the gnex.

No, I can't. All these things you mention, I've never noticed them. Both phones run really well for me.

Never seen that. Touchwiz?

Are you asking if I'm using Touchwiz? If so then yes.

I should clear things up. It's not that the wallpaper looks incredibly low res, it's just that when I view an image in the gallery it shows up really crisp and clear, when added as a wallpaper it gets a bit blurry and looses the "crispness". However the default wallpapers look really clear.

Al-ibn Kermit

Weird, it seems like the Samsung app store supports nearly every single north and south American country besides the US.

No fee riptide gp :(

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

I should clear things up. It's not that the wallpaper looks incredibly low res, it's just that when I view an image in the gallery it shows up really crisp and clear, when added as a wallpaper it gets a bit blurry and looses the "crispness". However the default wallpapers look really clear.

I'd imagine some of the wallpapers you are downloading are low-res.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I can't wait till the tablet/pad market matures...

It's going to be sooooo good with everyone just trying to upping the ante! :D

I can't even imagine how Google is going to top ICS in terms of update...deary me it's amazing...

Angst

Hmm, perhaps Touchwiz applies a "Smooth Wallpaper" filter or something like that? I've noticed that option when setting wallpapers using CheckRom (built from TW).

Hmm, perhaps Touchwiz applies a "Smooth Wallpaper" filter or something like that? I've noticed that option when setting wallpapers using CheckRom (built from TW).

Perhaps? I don't see an option for it though.

I took some screen shots so you can see what I'm talking about

also I found a thread on it on xda but it doesn't help any.

No, I can't. All these things you mention, I've never noticed them. Both phones run really well for me.

You may not feel the difference, but it doesn't mean that others wont.

I let some of my friends(iphone users) try the GS2 and the Gnex, they have no idea what android phones are, both clearly stated that the GS2 is smoother. They even thought the the Gnex was an older device.

After getting used to ICS, It is awesome. I now think ICS > touchwiz, but touchwiz is still nice.
Using Nova launcher with ICS solve some of its shortcomings.

Battery of the Gnex is now on par with the GS2, I don't think there's much difference in battery life at all now.

Without a case even though the Gnex is a lil bit bigger, it feel much nicer that the square GS2, feel very comfortable and balance.

I screen is just awesome but I wish the white is whiter than the yellowish tint is has. I was able to solve this with an app called Screen Adjuster, and bumping up the blue a bit. The iphone 4s screen seem to be really white, but the black is not really black.

panda21

To everybody with a galaxy s 2:

Do your wallpapers show up blurry? Any wallpaper that I add myself shows up blurry as if it were a low res image. Is this a known issue?

I definitely have that problem, wallpapers look fine in the gallery, but look ugly if I set them as wallpaper. Almost looks like a low quality JPEG or something.

Doesn't happen with built in wallpapers though.

Weirdest thing is that I'm pretty sure it also happens in cyanogen.

besiktas1

Can you guys help me please... On my Desire HD I have whatever stock OS they give me. I want to root the phone with whatever will make it run the best/smoothest.

Help?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well, in my moving over from SMS to Google Voice completely, I hit a limit on Google Voice today. I can't send texts for 24 hours, according to my research. That's bullshit.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm getting tired of how sluggish my Moto Droid 1 has been for a while. What's the best way to overclock the thing, or whatever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom