• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wads

Banned
Having a really tough time deciding between the Galaxy s2 and Amaze on T-mobile...

Samsungs poor customer support, in my experience, really makes we want to avoid it, but the phone looks amazing... plus, the added annoyance of them disabling Google talk video (fixed with root I'm sure, but still annoying).

Probably going to go with the Amaze, but man it's about 51/49 at this point.

Wads said:
Having a really tough time deciding between the Galaxy s2 and Amaze on T-mobile...

Samsungs poor customer support, in my experience, really makes we want to avoid it, but the phone looks amazing... plus, the added annoyance of them disabling Google talk video (fixed with root I'm sure, but still annoying).

Probably going to go with the Amaze, but man it's about 51/49 at this point.

They dont sell 10 millions Galaxy S2 in 3 months for no reason, i got one, the screen is amazing and once u upgrade ur firmware to 2.3.5 the battery life is very good.

Wads

Banned
Yeah, I had the Evo 3d for awhile though and I really liked it. Love Sense and I hear touchwiz is really annoying...

Plus the google video thing (which I use everyday) being blocked and I'm not 100% sure there is a fix for that. I really want the Galaxy s2, but it seems like there are problems to me.

Yoshiya

wario said:
this write up provides a nice overview of the next snapdragon soc, krait.

link
No, not really. Here, a real write up from someone who knows what he's talking about.

Also, on the GSIII leak, it's worth noting that Samsung have retroactively rebranded the Hummingbird as a previous generation Exynos. See here. Apart from the spelling mistake (which isn't necessarily impossible on an internal presentation) there doesn't seem to be anything to indicate the slide isn't real.

sleeping_dragon said:
They dont sell 10 millions Galaxy S2 in 3 months for no reason, i got one, the screen is amazing and once u upgrade ur firmware to 2.3.5 the battery life is very good.

Can you link me to a guide for rooting the SG2?

I would really like 2.3.5

Wads

Banned
Okay, so I found a google talk app that will work on any version of android... so that's no longer a problem.

Obviously the screen being super amoled is much better, but have you noticed any drawbacks due to the 480x800 resolution?

gamer, pmed you

rc213

Wads said:
Okay, so I found a google talk app that will work on any version of android... so that's no longer a problem.

Obviously the screen being super amoled is much better, but have you noticed any drawbacks due to the 480x800 resolution?

gamer, pmed you
Need to be rooted to install Google Talk on Tmo Galaxy S II?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The Faceless Master said:
Captivate Glyde is one row of keys away from being awesome.
I think I really dig the way the menu buttons are sized/position. Thats badass. That phone makes me want to explore the world, Drake style. Something about it really gives off a manly self sufficient hero vibe.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What, that doesn't sound very realistic.

Polari

OriginalThinking said:

Fuck software patents. Such bullshit. Also, fuck the US for trying to spread software patents globally. Thank god everyone else has at least an ounce of sense.

My own introduction to the realities of the patent system came in the 1980s, when my client, Sun Microsystems--then a small company--was accused by IBM of patent infringement. Threatening a massive lawsuit, IBM demanded a meeting to present its claims. Fourteen IBM lawyers and their assistants, all clad in the requisite dark blue suits, crowded into the largest conference room Sun had.

The chief blue suit orchestrated the presentation of the seven patents IBM claimed were infringed, the most prominent of which was IBM's notorious "fat lines" patent: To turn a thin line on a computer screen into a broad line, you go up and down an equal distance from the ends of the thin line and then connect the four points. You probably learned this technique for turning a line into a rectangle in seventh-grade geometry, and, doubtless, you believe it was devised by Euclid or some such 3,000-year-old thinker. Not according to the examiners of the USPTO, who awarded IBM a patent on the process.

After IBM's presentation, our turn came. As the Big Blue crew looked on (without a flicker of emotion), my colleagues--all of whom had both engineering and law degrees--took to the whiteboard with markers, methodically illustrating, dissecting, and demolishing IBM's claims. We used phrases like: "You must be kidding," and "You ought to be ashamed." But the IBM team showed no emotion, save outright indifference. Confidently, we proclaimed our conclusion: Only one of the seven IBM patents would be deemed valid by a court, and no rational court would find that Sun's technology infringed even that one.

An awkward silence ensued. The blue suits did not even confer among themselves. They just sat there, stonelike. Finally, the chief suit responded. "OK," he said, "maybe you don't infringe these seven patents. But we have 10,000 U.S. patents. Do you really want us to go back to Armonk [IBM headquarters in New York] and find seven patents you do infringe? Or do you want to make this easy and just pay us $20 million?"

After a modest bit of negotiation, Sun cut IBM a check, and the blue suits went to the next company on their hit list.

http://www.forbes.com/asap/2002/0624/044.html

Tribes of Trusty said:
I rooted my SGS2 and installed 2.3.5 via Odin, but it doesn't appear to me that the battery life really improved...

Are u sure man? if thats the case then you should try out some custom rom on XDA.

Doopliss

Only the really old SGS2 firmware had significant battery drain problems. Unless you got your phone around May/June and hadn't updated it at all you wouldn't see any difference.

Bear in mind, every time a new firmware comes out people say that the battery life seems better, or that performance feels a little faster.

sleeping_dragon said:
Are u sure man? if thats the case then you should try out some custom rom on XDA.
I think that it's more an issue of kernel (which manages radio signal, battery usage, etc) than firmware. I like my stock samsung android :)

EDIT : And I prefered odexed roms over deodexed (the majority of custom ROMS are deodexed), I like saving space :)

Doopliss

sionyboy said:
Some gpu/browser benchmarks of the 4S.

www.gsmarena.com/iphone_4s_browser_benchmark_and_camera_sample_leaks-news-3257.php

Looks like the A5 is clocked lower than ipad2, but it's still taking names on the gpu front.

Two questions for google though.
1. What browser is honeycomb using?
2. Gimme the browser in ICS.
Why not link to the original source of the benchmarks, instead of some random blog that reposts them and adds nothing of value?

Honeycomb uses the Honeycomb browser. You can expect ICS to bring its performance improvements to android phones.

rozay

Banned
OriginalThinking said:
The guys got a history of being bang on the money and has got the scoop on several upcoming handsets before anyone else. Which worries me.
Don't freak out about this. He hasn't been accurate when it comes to off the wall statements like this. He may have had great insight a few years ago but he burned a lot of bridges and in general tends to spout a lot of foolishness.

So after taking the plunge a month or two ago and buying an EeePad Transformer (my first ever tablet), I now sorta want a smart phone that I can tether it to (I currently have a really cheap phone) as well as my 3DS (and a Vita when it comes out). It looks like in the UK this means going on either 3 or O2. I'm pretty tempted by the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play. Is it any good? I know it's supported by CyanogenMod now, so presumably I'll be able to put Ice-cream Sandwich on it when CyanogenMod is based on that if Sony Ericsson don't provide an update.

rozay said:
Don't freak out about this. He hasn't been accurate when it comes to off the wall statements like this. He may have had great insight a few years ago but he burned a lot of bridges and in general tends to spout a lot of foolishness.

Cool. It would ease my mind though if they'd make an announcement about the announcement. I hate all this 'not knowing'

gcubed said:
It doesn't even make an ounce of sense

I know, I know. But if there was even a percentage chance of it being true. I wish they'd stick an Ice Cream Sandwich statue outside the Googleplex. They did that weeks before Gingerbread was revealed.

Doopliss said:
Why not link to the original source of the benchmarks, instead of some random blog that reposts them and adds nothing of value?

Honeycomb uses the Honeycomb browser. You can expect ICS to bring its performance improvements to android phones.

jkOTM.gif

So I installed CM 7.1 on my dad's p-999 (what WIND calls the optimus 2x, and t-mobile the g2x) and it's pretty snazzy.

Now the problem is that ever since i installed the t-mobile gingerbread update on it from the stock wind froyo, the GPS has never worked properly, someone suggested to make a change to the APNs, so I went in and took a look at the APN settings, I did not change any of them though. I back out of the APN settings, and now the thing refuses to get a data connection (when I look at APN settings on my nexus one, i lose my data connection, but it comes back after 10 seconds after backing out of the menu). I restarted the phone and everything, went back into the APN settings to make sure everything was good, and it still doesn't work. :\ Anybody have any suggestions?

gcubed

nubbe said:
maybe one should get a Touch for gaming
That would be ideal but i don't believe it's getting the new chip. So its on par CPU power with other chips but as expected is a gpu beast. Again, the slowdown on my hanging with friends is unbearable

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Jesus the 4S is like greased lightning

Also, did I read that the Atrix 2 is available Oct 16th? o0

OriginalThinking said:
The guys got a history of being bang on the money and has got the scoop on several upcoming handsets before anyone else. Which worries me.
He is very, very often wrong as well. I stopped putting stock in Eldar a long time ago.

Sanic

Pandoracell said:
Is it possible to change the lockscreen slider graphics without rooting the phone?

Anyone have an answer to this? Also, new question: can I root a Nexus S without wiping everything I have on the phone? Looking around, the answer seems to be no, but I just want to be sure.

JonnyBrad

Pandoracell said:
Anyone have an answer to this? Also, new question: can I root a Nexus S without wiping everything I have on the phone? Looking around, the answer seems to be no, but I just want to be sure.

Use widgetlocker from the market (and no lock) and then you can use whatever you want in terms of sliders.

RayStorm

I remember reading something about offline navigation for Android. As a quick web search didn't turn up the expected results I do wonder if that was just my imagination.

In brief: Is there a way for free navigation on android without having a data connection? E.G. Downloading Maps and Voice data at home and then just use the Android phone as a regular navigation system.

Zapages

Does anyone know to increase the speaker volume of the galaxy S2 during in call mode?

Also I can have my phone vibrate when I receive a message instead of a sound appear.

gcubed

CryptiK said:
So how would the Nexus Prime pull up against these guys hopefully topping!
It could possibly top the android list but that's iffy due to the increased resolution. It won't come near the A5 in terms of gpu performance.

SimleuqiR

http://phandroid.com/2011/10/11/pho...xus-nexus-prime-show-up-on-picasa-via-google/

nexus-prime-camera-sample-2.jpg

Looks like a good chunk of Googlers have the Nexus Prime in their hand. A couple of photos have been uploaded to Picasa, Google’s image hosting site, through Google+, Google’s social networking site. And you know what? It doesn’t shoot a bad picture at all.

shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

Also:

More than the photos themselves, it looks like “Galaxy Nexus” is a strong contender for the device’s retail name as it has been listed as that in the TIFF information.

Goddammit I hate that fucking name! I hate Samsung.

Doopliss

RayStorm said:
I remember reading something about offline navigation for Android. As a quick web search didn't turn up the expected results I do wonder if that was just my imagination.

In brief: Is there a way for free navigation on android without having a data connection? E.G. Downloading Maps and Voice data at home and then just use the Android phone as a regular navigation system.
In Google Maps, Menu>More>Labs, enable 'Precache map area'. Now long press somewhere on the map, tap the bubble and then tap precache map area. It'll download a 10 mile square around that point. You can do a bunch of these to cover more area.

The voice instructions are generated on your phone so don't require data.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
When I hear "Galaxy Nexus", I think along the lines of "mobile cell phone" or "ATM Machine"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom