• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rur0ni

Have to say, miss my RAZR. Not the most comfortable to hold, but it was damn fast. Lots of screen to work with. Motoblur and apps were good too.

On a Nexus S 4G now with ICS. Not as fast, less screen, but ICS is sweet. I'm just imagining the RAZR with moto ICS. Alas... Sprint and work discounts made it worth it.

Looking forward to next Nexus and Jelly Bean. 2012 right?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
so i just googled that... 120 text in 24h limit? are they kidding!?

Where did you find that hard number? I think it depends on the user.

It's really crappy. I imagine it's to stop spam but there are better ways.

Circle T

true true.

Are you using custom roms? or staying stock? what carrier are you using?
VZW Nexus. Stock (4.0.2), but rooted. For now. Will try some ROMs down the road when the need arrises.

so i just googled that... 120 text in 24h limit? are they kidding!?
I'm not sure that is true, or possibly not a hard enforced thing. I just went through my old text threads, and there are quite a few where the total was 400+ between me and someone else in single days. So, that would be roughly 200-ish from me, and I've never been shut down.

Husker86

VZW Nexus. Stock (4.0.2), but rooted. For now. Will try some ROMs down the road when the need arrises.

I'm not sure that is true, or possibly not a hard enforced thing. I just went through my old text threads, and there are quite a few where the total was 400+ between me and someone else in single days. So, that would be roughly 200-ish from me, and I've never been shut down.

From reading the complaint thread on the Google forums it looks like it depends on how many different people you send to as well.

linkboy

I'm getting tired of how sluggish my Moto Droid 1 has been for a while. What's the best way to overclock the thing, or whatever?

Before I got my iPhone, I had a rooted Droid, and I pushed that thing as far as I could push it.

What version of Android are you running, 2.1 or 2.2. Is your phone rooted or not?

Being that the D1 is so old, a lot of custom roms have dried up for it (since everyone is moving onto newer phones).

First off, you going to need to root the phone (obviously). You're also going to need to install a new recovery mode. The easiest way to do that is to get Rom Manager and flash ClockworkMod Recovery

Second, you'll need to install a new kernel. The D1 can be pushed to about 1ghz (it can go higher, but it gets stability issues and gets really hot). 800 to 900mhz is the sweetspot for most phones. The best kernel that I've used is the Deprimed kernel. You can install the kernel via ClockworkMod Recovery.

After the kernel is flashed, SetCPU is a great program to change CPU speeds. Some custom roms allow you to set the CPU without using a 3rd party program.

Miutsu

I did not know about the text limit, wtf?

I text about 3000-5000 a month, so 120 is really low.

Wow, my carrier gives me around 300 "free" texts a month and I think I've never gone over that! (I have never texted that much honestly).

Btw, thinking about getting a Nexus S with ICS, coming from an iPhone 3G with iOS 4 so right now anything else will feel fast like a comet.

Sarcasm

I have a question, why does it matter what type of buttons the Note (or phone has)?

I see people talking about capacative and mechanical etc?

dream

Like any of you keep your Android phones long enough to get to the point of mechanical failure due to wear and tear.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I took off my screen protector for my Samsung captivate today since it was getting bad. Holy hell I forgot how good that screen looks/feels bare lol.

VanWinkle

So I updated my HTC Evo View tablet to Honeycomb today, did I f*** up?

No, why would you think that? Honeycomb is certainly much better than Gingerbread as a tablet OS. I've used both extensively. However, I have not used an HTC tablet, so I don't know how different they'll even look with all of HTC's Sense stuff.

ChanHuk

Banned
No, why would you think that? Honeycomb is certainly much better than Gingerbread as a tablet OS. I've used both extensively. However, I have not used an HTC tablet, so I don't know how different they'll even look with all of HTC's Sense stuff.

The general consensus I got from Android is:

Gingerbread = Windows XP
Honeycomb = Windows Vista
Ice Cream Sandwich = Windows 7

Menelaus

Banned
mechanical suck, one more part to wear down.

I guess that's why there are so many capacitive volume and power buttons, then.

When the rubber meets the road, everyone knows that mechanical is better, which is why they're used for critical buttons. If your hardware buttons wear out, you use your phone too much (unless it's an iPhone, then it's understandable).

Like any of you keep your Android phones long enough to get to the point of mechanical failure due to wear and tear.

i do, i'm a 22 monther.

When the rubber meets the road, everyone knows that mechanical is better, which is why they're used for critical buttons. If your hardware buttons wear out, you use your phone too much (unless it's an iPhone, then it's understandable).

that's just because the volume and power buttons usually also control low level functions like boot sequence.

that's especially funny because typical consumers only upgrade their OS when they buy a new PC!

Al-ibn Kermit

Well volume buttons are physical since you have to be able to feel where they are so you can adjust the volume of music you're listening to without actually looking at the phone. Mechanical buttons are more solid feeling but they require more effort to press and they can eventually wear out and become squishy so I would rather just go with capacitive for buttons I press all the time.

Carton

What is the best web browser for android? Using Opera and it's ok but I wonder what else is out there.

I'm quite partial to Dolphin HD: I like how they've implemented tabbed browsing and sliding across to bookmarks. It's not quite as smooth as the stock browser for me (on Galaxy Note), but the features make up for it.

KBgL7l.png

What do the circle arrows mean? Something is updating?

DXPett1

The general consensus I got from Android is:

Gingerbread = Windows XP
Honeycomb = Windows Vista
Ice Cream Sandwich = Windows 7

Thats a pretty unfair handle for Honeycomb. There is nothing wrong with Honeycomb except everyone expected it to be on phones as well but that never happened.

saunderez

Does it just like to hang out for a while? That screen cap was taking a good while after syncing.

Depends on the apps you've got syncing, I know for a fact Google Currents used to take FOREVER to sync.

Also I keep seeing the word "root" everywhere. What does that mean?

Root access. Basically like being the Administrator of a Windows PC. You have full access to everything on the device, including the entire OS file system.

Circle T

mechanical suck, one more part to wear down.

<3 US Samsungs with 4 capacitive buttons

Before I got my Droid Charge, I would have agreed with you. Between it with its 4 physical buttons, and my Captivate with its 4 capacitive buttons, though, I prefer the Charge's physical ones. Ultimately, I like the on-screen buttons in ICS the best, but if the hardware has to have buttons, I like the physical ones.

Suairyu

Banned
Guys, specific google searches have produced nothing so I'm gonna call on some general GAF knowledge here; hopefully one of you can point me in the right direction.

Yesterday my HTC Sensation suddenly got slow. Really slow. Not in the sense that it couldn't run apps and stuff fine, because it can, but everything seems to lag. When going into messages, it takes visible seconds to load the contents of a message. When typing on the keyboard, my thumbs are working far, far ahead of the text. The whole thing feels like my phone is drunk: still capable, but takes a while to realise what it has to do.

And it's really fucking me off. Killing the entire usability experience of it for me.

I have no idea why it has happened, either. I always keep the eye candy turned way down, I don't bother with any of HTC's widgets* and backgrounds are always static. About the only always-on app I use is Smart Keyboard to replace HTC's one, but disabling it doesn't fix the problem either.

*Side-note - if I'm not actually using any of the eye candy stuff most people want from Sense, are their better rom choices out there for me?

If anyone has any ideas of what avenues I can explore to try and identify the sudden problem, or if this is a known issue with HTC Sense/Sensation-handsets, please let me know!

edit - guess I should try a factory reset first. Still, that it's happened is confuddling. Will see if problem persists.

Blackhead

Redarse
I have a question, why does it matter what type of buttons the Note (or phone has)?

I see people talking about capacative and mechanical etc?

Capacitive buttons are more susceptible to accidental presses than mechanical buttons because capacitive buttons require only a touch from any part of the body to be set off while mechanical buttons require a bit of force. The capacitive buttons on the Galaxy Note are a particularly insidious problem when using the S-pen. Due to the size of the device the natural inclination is to rest the palm at the bottom of the screen while writing. The capacitive buttons can be set off by the hand resting on it which interrupts whatever action is taking place on the screen. Mechanical buttons make a lot more sense on this particular device.

Sarcasm

Capacitive buttons are more susceptible to accidental presses than mechanical buttons because capacitive buttons require only a touch from any part of the body to be set off while mechanical buttons require a bit of force. The capacitive buttons on the Galaxy Note are a particularly insidious problem when using the S-pen. Due to the size of the device the natural inclination is to rest the palm at the bottom of the screen while writing. The capacitive buttons can be set off by the hand resting on it which interrupts whatever action is taking place on the screen. Mechanical buttons make a lot more sense on this particular device.

Here I am sitting thinking something is really bad. Thanks for the heads up.

Testing Ice Cream Sandwich on my Galaxy Note at the moment...

Official or rom?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Guys, specific google searches have produced nothing so I'm gonna call on some general GAF knowledge here; hopefully one of you can point me in the right direction.

Yesterday my HTC Sensation suddenly got slow. Really slow. Not in the sense that it couldn't run apps and stuff fine, because it can, but everything seems to lag. When going into messages, it takes visible seconds to load the contents of a message. When typing on the keyboard, my thumbs are working far, far ahead of the text. The whole thing feels like my phone is drunk: still capable, but takes a while to realise what it has to do.

And it's really fucking me off. Killing the entire usability experience of it for me.

I have no idea why it has happened, either. I always keep the eye candy turned way down, I don't bother with any of HTC's widgets* and backgrounds are always static. About the only always-on app I use is Smart Keyboard to replace HTC's one, but disabling it doesn't fix the problem either.

*Side-note - if I'm not actually using any of the eye candy stuff most people want from Sense, are their better rom choices out there for me?

If anyone has any ideas of what avenues I can explore to try and identify the sudden problem, or if this is a known issue with HTC Sense/Sensation-handsets, please let me know!

edit - guess I should try a factory reset first. Still, that it's happened is confuddling. Will see if problem persists.

Yeah, I'd say factory reset.

Pctx

Banned
With all of the leaks coming for the Samsung devices, I would imagine that we'll see 4.0 on most of the Sammy lineup by end of February. Hopefully we'll hear some sort of announcement at CES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom