• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
Factory resets are scary. I mean, I know I've backed everything up with HTC Sync, Google Sync and some manual backups just in case, but that still doesn't stop me from thinking I've just lost everything as I hit confirm.

longdi

Banned
i care, when i see my sister flipping through her ip4 like a boss, i wish google will 1. make hardware acceleration for everything and 2. tie down when and how we can get updates!

Sarcasm

i care, when i see my sister flipping through her ip4 like a boss, i wish google will 1. make hardware acceleration for everything and 2. tie down when and how we can get updates!

So your sisters iphone4 is all iphones4s?

I can tell you my wives fathers ip4 doesn't flip like a boss anymore. Given he did use it for work.

gcubed

you are on a forum talking about a phone. I'd classify you as a phone nerd and if you cared enough you can easily get it.

the 40 million other people (no idea how many people use android now) don't know what version they are, that a new version is out, or care what it does as long as the app they want works.

Its funny to see an microsoft person use this argument as well when google is just following the PC market that has worked well.

Pctx

Banned
seriously, "Fragmentation" is at this point just a lazy argument that should get you laughed out of a room. Its a myth. If apps work on 98% of all phones out there fragmentation is boogey man. No one cares except for techies and phone nerds, and they will just root their phone and put a rom on it when available if they care that much.

To be fair, what these bloggers are asking for is for Android to go closed like Apple so we can have nice things.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Damn, Go Locker for Go Launcher is AWESOME! Beautiful lock screens that don't interfere with NoLED functionality.

Make sure you set Go Locker as your default launcher (don't worry, it will not create issues with Go Launcher running) and the screen lock will work each and every time instantly without any delay whatsoever.

reKon

Banned

I flip through my gnexus like boss much faster than iI do with my moms iphone4s (which barely has anything on it). This is simply because of how the OS is organized from the way notifications are handled to that dedicated recent apps icon that usually takes you back to exactly where you left off in an app.

Threi

notag
Damn, Go Locker for Go Launcher is AWESOME! Beautiful lock screens that don't interfere with NoLED functionality.

Make sure you set Go Locker as your default launcher (don't worry, it will not create issues with Go Launcher running) and the screen lock will work each and every time instantly without any delay whatsoever.

I have it installed and play around with it, but just like widgetlocker I always prefer the functionality of stock. I will agree though that it always is instant, moreso than the stock locker. GO launcher + locker is a great combination.

I'd actually say the go devs contribute the most out of anyone towards android customization. They really deserve credit for what they do.

It would be interesting if they could make a GO rom ala MIUI. Would use an ungodly amount of memory but would be smooth a hell lol

Fatalah

I have it installed and play around with it, but just like widgetlocker I always prefer the functionality of stock. I will agree though that it always is instant, moreso than the stock locker. GO launcher + locker is a great combination.

I never used a Launcher before -- is this one called GO Launcher EX ?

Guys I need help, I bought a sgp glass protector for my s2, everything works fine but the back button randomly stops working every now and then no matter how much or hard I press it nothing happens, then I'll come back to it later and it'll work for a while then stop, is there a way to turn the sensitivity of the buttons up to max?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Android Central tweet: Unmodified Holo theme now a requirement for devices with Android Market access http://bit.ly/wBeXgf #android

Kind of a big deal.

I hate this generation.

Why?

I grew up in the Philippines, where texting caught on way earlier than it did here in the USA because it was cheaper than voice minutes. Don't hate. Most of that texting was with me and my man anyway. It was even worse when I was dating a chronic texter like me 6 months back :p

I have a question... Does ADW Launcher work on top of any UI? I'm getting a Sony Ericsson phone which has the blueish theme and custom UI and stuff, if I install it will I get a new home screen?

zedge

+1

I nearly forgotten how tacky that button is on the original GSII:

dh2Ys.jpg

Haters gonna hate... :p

Love my button, especially when its sitting on the desk beside me and I don't have to reach for the awkward power button on the side to wake it. :up:

Not to mention all the awesome leaked ROMs for it.

OG GS2 > all

dtrack

Love my button, especially when its sitting on the desk beside me and I don't have to reach for the awkward power button on the side to wake it. :up:

OG GS2 > all

:brofist:

Physical buttons > capacitive! :D

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
What, people are shitting on real buttons? What the source of this crusade against input feedback? :shakes fist

OG GS2 > all

I disagree. You can keep your honking button. I'll take a smooth screen over it any day.

8L01J.jpg

zedge

Why are you guys comparing a GS2 to an iPhone?

Its the real GS2, not the bastardized carrier branded replicas.. :D

And its > any icrap product. Any GS2 for that matter. ;)

I disagree. You can keep your honking button. I'll take a smooth screen over it any day.

8L01J.jpg

Do you ever play any games or type in landscape mode? If so how many times have you accidently pressed one of those buttons? That happened to me all the time with my old captivate, drove me nuts.l

PS I am just playing around, its all preference. :D

Vyer

http://www.droiddog.com/android-blo...-require-the-holo-theme-to-access-the-market/

So all the.phones running 4.0.are required to use the Holo theme or no access to the market !!

Hell has frozen over !!
Android Central tweet: Unmodified Holo theme now a requirement for devices with Android Market access http://bit.ly/wBeXgf #android

Kind of a big deal.

Beaten !!

It's an option, but are they forced to actually use it? Or is it more the assets must remain an option for devs?

kinggroin

Banned
http://www.droiddog.com/android-blo...-require-the-holo-theme-to-access-the-market/

So all the.phones running 4.0.are required to use the Holo theme or no access to the market !!

Hell has frozen over !!

Kind of a big deal.

Beaten !!

This is the best news of the day. Just when my faith in Google was beginning to waver.

We shouldn't lose consistency across devices just because android is open. The modularity of the platform is what makes it so incredible. Let customers decide what android should look like past the stock interface, and let hardware manufacturers differentiate with exactly that, hardware.

/slippery slope

giga

This is the best news of the day. Just when my faith in Google was beginning to waver.

We shouldn't lose consistency across devices just because android is open. The modularity of the platform is what makes it so incredible. Let customers decide what android should look like past the stock interface, and let hardware manufacturers differentiate with exactly that, hardware.

/slippery slope
Manufacturers are still free to customize to their heart's desire. All this means is that the rom manufacturers use must have the holo widget styles included so third party developers can use it in their apps without interference. That way, when they design their app around the default 4.0 UI, they'll know it will be consistent across devices.

We have no desire to restrict manufacturers from building their own themed experience across their devices. In fact we’ve gone further to make this even easier. In Android 4.0’s API (level 14) we’ve added a new public theme family to complement the Holo family introduced in Android 3.0: DeviceDefault. DeviceDefault themes are aliases for the device’s native look and feel. The DeviceDefault theme family and widget style family offer ways for developers to target the device’s native theme with all customizations intact.

kehs

Banned
It's an option, but are they forced to actually use it? Or is it more the assets must remain an option for devs?
The latter, it's for devs to be able to build to a visual standard. OEMs can still basterdized the stock UI as long as they leave the Holo theme assets for devs to hook into when they deploy an app.

giga

Some of the these bloggers really have no idea what they're talking about and shouldn't misreport like this. Embarrassing.

This post was brought to you by Charlotte Dunois, Galaxy Tuna by Samsung, the letter "H", and no stinking face buttons on my phone!

nobuttons.jpg

Buttons suck, it's about time phones dispensed with them entirely.

Cipherr

I think you are misunderstanding the article written by the engineer. Android 4.0 requires manufactures to leave the Holo theme intact if they Android Market access. OEMs can use whatever theme they can create for their own skin. However, developers who specific the Holo theme in their Android 4.0 app will be able to have their app have the same look and feel as a standard ICS app.

As it stands today, if I deployed a basic app to a Samsung phone with TouchWiz, HTC phone with Sense, and a Nexus S, they would all look very different. Different button colors, corner roundedness, tab colors, etc. What Google has done today squashes that, for apps running on Android 4.0+ devices anyway

That was the clearest explanation I can find of what I think they have done with this change.

Its the real GS2, not the bastardized carrier branded replicas.. :D

And its > any icrap product. Any GS2 for that matter. ;)
he means the one on the right... or are you a part of Samsung's legal team!?

Do you ever play any games or type in landscape mode? If so how many times have you accidently pressed one of those buttons? That happened to me all the time with my old captivate, drove me nuts.l

PS I am just playing around, its all preference. :D

clumsy.

kinggroin

Banned
Manufacturers are still free to customize to their heart's desire. All this means is that the rom manufacturers use must have the holo widget styles included so third party developers can use it in their apps without interference. That way, when they design their app around the default 4.0 UI, they'll know it will be consistent across devices.

Yeah, I see that now, thanks for the clarification. Could've avoided this emotional roller coaster if I actually read more than just the headline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom