• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

Manufacturers are still free to customize to their heart's desire. All this means is that the rom manufacturers use must have the holo widget styles included so third party developers can use it in their apps without interference. That way, when they design their app around the default 4.0 UI, they'll know it will be consistent across devices.

yes, but hopefully the API around themeing divorces the carrier customization from the working of android itself. before ICS themeing was actually modifying android, not they can build a theme and apply it from default without actually having to tinker under the hood. Hopefully this allows faster updates to products that use manufacturer themes

giga

yes, but hopefully the API around themeing divorces the carrier customization from the working of android itself. before ICS themeing was actually modifying android, not they can build a theme and apply it from default without actually having to tinker under the hood. Hopefully this allows faster updates to products that use manufacturer themes
You have more faith in carriers than I.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This post was brought to you by Charlotte Dunois, Galaxy Tuna by Samsung, the letter "H", and no stinking face buttons on my phone!

nobuttons.jpg

Buttons suck, it's about time phones dispensed with them entirely.
I have a Droid x2 and I love having hardware buttons for a few key tasks. Sometimes it's nice to know you really pressed a key. I'll take practicality other aesthetics for key functions.

skybaby

My GS2 (the real version aka international) is my first Samsung phone and I'm running the KP8 ICS leak and damn this thing is so stable already and released so quickly. Coming from a Motorola it's almost unreal.

gcubed

who here has an ATT LTE phone? How's the battery life? i've heard it should be better due to GSM/LTE handoffs vs incompatible handoffs with CDMA. Any word?

Pctx

Banned
who here has an ATT LTE phone? How's the battery life? i've heard it should be better due to GSM/LTE handoffs vs incompatible handoffs with CDMA. Any word?

I do but don't have LTE in Portland yet. HSPA/HSPA+ battery life on my Skyrocket is anywhere from 1-2 days.

Also--- I can't emphasize this enough:
http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2012/01/holo-everywhere.html
Having called that "skinning" would be optional in 4.0, I can't wait to have the choice of either Stock or TouchWiz. Android really made the right choice with this.

jokkir

How does it work in canada?

Just go to a store that supports PayPass and when the person asks you how you want to pay, just say Paypass, turn your screen on, and wave it over the PayPass machine.

You need Google Wallet installed though with an NFC enabled device.

Just go to a store that supports PayPass and when the person asks you how you want to pay, just say Paypass, turn your screen on, and wave it over the PayPass machine.

You need Google Wallet installed though with an NFC enabled device.

this tech has been available in credit cards and key fobs for what..a decade now? I never really saw the point of using a smartphone instead.

thespot84

this tech has been available in credit cards and key fobs for what..a decade now? I never really saw the point of using a smartphone instead.

what's awesome about it is that a) you don't need to carry an cards. b) it's more secure because it's only one when you say it is (no swiping my butt on the street for a CC number. and c.) you can store a multitude of payment methods in one place. You may not see the point but given the ubiquity of smartphones in the near future this will be the de facto for payment. Just wait....

Emily Chu

Banned
what's awesome about it is that a) you don't need to carry an cards. b) it's more secure because it's only one when you say it is (no swipping my butt on the street for a CC number. and c.) you can store a multitude of payment methods in one place. You may not see the point but given the ubiquity of smartphones in the near future this will be the de facto for payment. Just wait....

oops batteries dead - can't pay for shit now

unless battery tech becomes alot better or recharges via body heat, solar etc

just ain't happening for a while.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
My problem with that is that occasionally paypass won't work. It tells me I need to pay by inserting the chip. So I don't have a my cards on me, I'm outta luck.

thespot84

these are all issues with execution, not design. It's like saying credit cards are a bad method because they don't scan sometimes or the mag strip wears out....

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
these are all issues with execution, not design. It's like saying credit cards are a bad method because they don't scan sometimes or the mag strip wears out....

Well sure, but its not realistic to use this and not carry around any cards at the moment until the tech is good enough.

clav

What still has 1.5? G1?

No. The HTC Dream (G1) has an official 1.6 update (which has the best battery life/stability). The custom ROMs and battery life were all terrible for this device with the exception of Super D.

T-Mobile Samsung Behold II still runs on Android 1.5 as the official Cupcake (1.6) stable ROM never came out, so essentially users were shafted hard.

SUPREME1

Banned
Is there an updated list or anything definitive/final on what phones are getting 4.0?

Evo Shift here and I know Evo3D is getting it, but I was wondering if the shift would as well. Certainly there are differences in hardware, but the phones are simlar enough that I think the Shift could rock 4.0 well enough.

jokkir

lose wallet: use phone to call and cancel cards

lose phone: use friend's phone to call and cancel phone and cards

Not exactly. You need a PIN to open Google Wallet and to make purchases.

I guess if they somehow break into your pin, you're "screwed". You should be changing your PIN once in a while anyway :p

MrBig

Wallets and phone/device payments will coexist until problems like battery life and personal information (with security) are resolved. No one should even be suggesting Google Wallet as a replacement for a real wallet.

jayb

No. The HTC Dream (G1) has an official 1.6 update (which has the best battery life/stability). The custom ROMs and battery life were all terrible for this device with the exception of Super D.

T-Mobile Samsung Behold II still runs on Android 1.5 as the official Cupcake (1.6) stable ROM never came out, so essentially users were shafted hard.

oh Samsung.

Hi, sorry if this has been covered but I don't keep up with Android news much, but I've just updated my HTC HD2, and now I seem to only have one theme to choose from? As in the style of the main buttons on the screen. There's only an option for the curved buttons, I had the more squareish ones before the update but now they don't seem to be an option. Also, I really don't like the new unlock slider, is there an option to change it back? Thanks.

Is there any expectation/possibility of a new killer Android phone being announced for Verizon Wireless at next week's CES, or am I safe to grab a Galaxy Nexus?

My OG Droid is dead, and I've been using a horrible Palm Pixi Plus until I find a new phone, but I think I've reached my limit.

kinggroin

Banned
Is there any expectation/possibility of a new killer Android phone being announced for Verizon Wireless at next week's CES, or am I safe to grab a Galaxy Nexus?

My OG Droid is dead, and I've been using a horrible Palm Pixi Plus until I find a new phone, but I think I've reached my limit.

even if there is a killer phone announced, I guarantee you that phone won't be as well supported as the nexus.

Who has used a hone with Super OMLED plus? How does it compare to the HD Super OLMED?

I've seen close-up comparison images of the two, and even though the GN screen is pentile, it's so much higher res than the GS II that text looks significantly less grainy on the GN.

edit: here it is

attachment.php

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't know why anyone would get this. The wonderful blacks of the screen merging with the black of the bezel is so beautiful.

They're just trying to be Apple with this nonsense.

SimleuqiR

Looks absolutely ridiculous

It fucking does. I like what was previously stated, the bezel should be all black. Then the back can be white with maybe a different type of pattern. I still don't like the white color though.

Anyways,

Google tablet PC believed to be targeting Kindle Fire

As Google reportedly may launch an own-brand tablet PC to compete against Apple's iPad, sources from Google's upstream supply chain believe that Google, instead of Apple, may actually be targeting Amazon's 7-inch Kindle Fire as its major competitor. However, Google Taiwan commented that the company has never heard about plan of launching own-brand tablet PC.

The sources believe that Google will launch the own-brand tablet PC in March-April, featuring a 7-inch panel and Android 4.0 with a price less than US$199 to compete against Amazon.

I don't know Google. Maybe you should get your shit together on how to make and release a mobile smartphone before you try to beat the Walmart of the Internet at retail? You almost got it right with the Nexus Tuna.

I don't think Google can match Amazon on this turf, yet.

Angst

It fucking does. I like what was previously stated, the bezel should be all black. Then the back can be white with maybe a different type of pattern. I still don't like the white color though.
As the colour of the bezel can be changed by the user I think it'll look pretty good. Also *render*

Al-ibn Kermit

I don't know Google. Maybe you should get your shit together on how to make and release a mobile smartphone before you try to beat the Walmart of the Internet at retail? You almost got it right with the Nexus Tuna.

I don't think Google can match Amazon on this turf, yet.
Doesn't amazon lose a little money on each kindle fire sold? They want to make their money back by directly selling amazon apps, movies, etc. I'm not sure how well that model would work for Google.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Doesn't amazon lose a little money on each kindle fire sold? They want to make their money back by directly selling amazon apps, movies, etc. I'm not sure how well that model would work for Google.
Doesn't google take a piece of everything sold in the android market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom