• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

killakiz

I swear if the Transformer get ICS before the XOOM I'm going to flip out. Been waiting for this XOOM Android 4.0 upgrade for what feels like ages.

Been loving my Rezound since I picked it up early last month. I grew up addicted (as a toddler) to the original Knight Rider so the red and black just clicked, plus it's an incredible phone. One of my friends at Google also got a Galaxy Nexus and after some time with it I'm glad I didn't get that.

Some of the first paid apps I picked up are:

Video caller id - which is AWESOME and should be a standard feature on Android phones! Try the free version FIRST to make sure it's compatible with your phone.

projectM - Pretty much Milkdrop on your phone, so now I have an eyegasm battery-waster, which is perfect for when I'm half awake and need to zone out before sleeping.

If anyone hasn't checked those out, it's worth taking a peak!

SUPREME1

Banned
Is there an updated list or anything definitive/final on what phones are getting 4.0?

Evo Shift here and I know Evo3D is getting it, but I was wondering if the shift would as well. Certainly there are differences in hardware, but the phones are simlar enough that I think the Shift could rock 4.0 well enough.

Anyone?

ChanHuk

Banned
as an owner of a 10" tablet and a phone with a 4.65" screen, i think a 7" tablet is too small for my needs.

I'm the opposite, 4.65" is too big for my hands and my pockets. 10" is too big to lug around everywhere. I would like a 4" phone and currently have a 7" tablet which has been perfect for the occasional web browsing and reading otherwise I'll grab my laptop if I were to do something more demanding.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Advice time.

A friend asked for help picking out new ATT Android phones for herself and her husband. There are only few restrictions: $0-$50 in store or websites (with contract), Android on ATT (work has a good discount for the plan), needs to have a photo/video camera with flash.

What do you recommend GAF?

Samsung Infuse? its free at Best Buy.
Atrix 2? its $50.
HTC Inspire? its $50.

Its their first foray into smartphones, so they dont need cutting edge. Before they had old school phones, and one of them had an Ihone with no data plan, so no experience with apps or anything of that sort.

ChanHuk

Banned
Advice time.

A friend asked for help picking out new ATT Android phones for herself and her husband. There are only few restrictions: $0-$50 in store or websites (with contract), Android on ATT (work has a good discount for the plan), needs to have a photo/video camera with flash.

Atrix 2? its $50.
HTC Inspire? its $50.

Its their first foray into smartphones, so they dont need cutting edge. Before they had old school phones, and one of them had an Ihone with no data plan, so no experience with apps or anything of that sort.

Not being biased, but they're better off spending another $50 and getting an iPhone 4. Especially if its their first smartphone.

gcubed

Advice time.

Atrix 2? its $50.
HTC Inspire? its $50.

atrix 2

Not being biased, but they're better off spending another $50 and getting an iPhone 4. Especially if its their first smartphone.

you act like android is hard to learn. No, go away

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
If you into that sort of thing

http://phandroid.com/2012/01/05/white-galaxy-nexus-coming-in-february/

galaxy-nexus-white.png

What's the Appeal of white phones? Every model looks better on black.

AndyD

aka andydumi

They are looking specifically for Android, something work related, I assume app support or something. So Iphone suggestions are useless.

Circle T

Advice time.

Atrix 2? its $50.
HTC Inspire? its $50.

Atrix 2 is very good. The LG Thrill is EOL most places, but some stores still have them (like Best Buy) going for $50 now as well. Either of those are pretty nice phones. The Xperia Play is also only $50, and even if they don't like the gaming controls, the phone is pretty solid.

Toki767

Advice time.

Atrix 2? its $50.
HTC Inspire? its $50.

How soon do they want a phone? I'd honestly wait for the Galaxy SII to go on sale.

gcubed

This weekend at the latest. So it has to be very soon, no waiting.

how firm are they on $50? The jump from an Atrix 2 to a GS2 is a pretty big jump and is only currently an extra $50 on Amazon

edit... as a note, this is for new customers...

Al-ibn Kermit

The atrix 2 is a little less powerful than the gs2 but most people won't care, especially if it's their first smartphone.

Edit: I meant atrix 2, damn SwiftKey.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Even the custom rom of ICS on tablets run shitload better than HC, the stock browser in particular looks smooth as butter. Google really fucked up with HC, such a lame stopgap.

Can't wait for ICS on my tablet, I'm so ready.

reKon

Banned

It's funny how tons of people on this forum actually suggest this if its "someone's first smartphone". It's complete bullshit... my mom's first smart phone was a droid incredible and she had no problems using it at all. She learned how to do a lot of things by herself and it was not complicated at all. iOS is easier to use for most people mainly because they are familiar with the interface since they've owned iPod touches in the past. That does not mean Android is a hard OS to use. My mom who is one of the furthest I know from being technologically knowledgeable was able to figure out how to use an android phone easily.

Threi

notag
Advice time.

Atrix 2? its $50.
HTC Inspire? its $50.

I just got an infuse, its actually a really great phone. Its essentially a Galaxy S2 with Galaxy S internals (slightly overclocked). I have yet to do anything that would make me wish "man I wish I had a dual-core processor". However IIRC in the US Its still on Android 2.2 with no upgrade so it may not be that appealing over there.

Ashhong

No. The HTC Dream (G1) has an official 1.6 update (which has the best battery life/stability). The custom ROMs and battery life were all terrible for this device with the exception of Super D.

T-Mobile Samsung Behold II still runs on Android 1.5 as the official Cupcake (1.6) stable ROM never came out, so essentially users were shafted hard.

Yup my GF has the Behold II on 1.5 and its a piece of shit. A HUGE PIECE OF SHIT.

Though I did read that 1.6 was released for a bit until it was pulled OTA. I think I can root it and install it but she's due for an upgrade soon anyways.

This weekend at the latest. So it has to be very soon, no waiting.

I just got a Galaxy SII refurb from AT&T for like 10 bucks. It is in brand new condition and I (mostly) love it. Got it in like 2 days.

Advice time.

Atrix 2? its $50.
HTC Inspire? its $50.

Atrix 2

ChanHuk

Banned
It's funny how tons of people on this forum actually suggest this if its "someone's first smartphone". It's complete bullshit... my mom's first smart phone was a droid incredible and she had no problems using it at all. She learned how to do a lot of things by herself and it was not complicated at all. iOS is easier to use for most people mainly because they are familiar with the interface since they've owned iPod touches in the past. That does not mean Android is a hard OS to use. My mom who is one of the furthest I know from being technologically knowledgeable was able to figure out how to use an android phone easily.

There's a reason why everyone suggests an iPhone as their first smartphone, "it just works". Android is definitely the more advanced user OS.

My grandmother can make a phone call from my iPhone yet she's clueless when handed my cousin's Evo. She doesn't even know how to turn on a computer.

gcubed

There's a reason why everyone suggests an iPhone as their first smartphone, "it just works". Android is definitely the more advanced user OS.

My grandmother can make a phone call from my iPhone yet she's clueless when handed my cousin's Evo. She doesn't even know how to turn on a computer.

Thats because she is using an iphone. Its utter bullshit... i dont know how to really use an iphone because *gasp* i dont use one. Take your shit elsewhere

Al-ibn Kermit

Does anybody know if carriers can tell if you're using a third party tethering app? I'm on sprint so apparently the data is unlimited but I've been averaging over 5GB/week so I'm worried they might call.

gcubed

Does anybody know if carriers can tell if you're using a third party tethering app? I'm on sprint so apparently the data is unlimited but I've been averaging over 5GB/week so I'm worried they might call.

Yes but most dont do anything unless you abuse it. Att i think is the only semi aggressive one but if you dont give them a reason to look most dont

Sarcasm

I think the whole my gandmother thing depends.

Both my parents and grandma went from shitty flip phones to Android. Literally they found more useful apps than me.

But my grandpa went to an iphone. He did the same. But him using an Android seems to be near possible.

Also note that my parents and grandma can use an iphone.

Also hows the Galaxy Note HD Super OMLED compared to a Super OMLED Plus? I am picking a note up today most likely.

Moved to Taiwan six months ago.

Futureman

If I was going to make up a story about my grandma not being able to use Android, "making a call" would be the last example I'd use.

iphone-vs-evo-os-top-1.jpg

You're grandma has some problems if she can figure out an iPhone, but not an Evo. iOS/Sense are BARELY different as far as making a call.

Al-ibn Kermit

Yes but most dont do anything unless you abuse it. Att i think is the only semi aggressive one but if you dont give them a reason to look most dont
Even if you bought the app through a third party app store, in this case the amazon app store? I could probably end up using the same amount of data just using the phone and no tethering though.

Raistlin

What's that song they used?

Also I really don't see the need for a TV dedicated OS, but then again I just serve all my media from a relatively powerful htpc to my TV or whatever else
Once mature, what makes this sort of direction interesting is the ability to aggregate everything into one seamless UI - live TV, DVR content, local content (server), web content, and streaming services.

Cool, 80% of that won't work in my country. Thanks google.
Why are you blaming Google ... as though it's their fault?

Really the only stuff that would be impacted by regions is web content and streaming services - which you likely have your own offerings for.

kehs

Banned
Share to Google TV is enough for me, if you have an htpc then maybe it's not a good idea but I'm loving it, between Netflix YouTube and access to my media server it's the best 80 bucks I've spent on tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom