• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Meh.

They need to show partnerships with cable providers. Youtube on TV is old hat. And apps? They show off netflix app on a tv as if its a new thing. Come on.

Show me how it will integrate with a Tivo or a Comcast DVR and then you see people. Not youtube of bacon lasagna.

There's a reason they don't show it, all it does it load up the default dvr interface and you control it through the directional pad. (comcast)

So lame.

jokkir

Is the Android Market down or is it just me?

EDIT - Crap, I think it's just me. Anyone know why my Android Market stopped working on my Nexus S (4.0.3)

My roommate just bought me one of these:
android.jpg

:cajun

Raistlin

Meh.

They need to show partnerships with cable providers. Youtube on TV is old hat. And apps? They show off netflix app on a tv as if its a new thing. Come on.

Show me how it will integrate with a Tivo or a Comcast DVR. Not youtube of bacon lasagna.
The issue is more about the DVR and cable HW itself. The next specification (replacement for cable card) should allow for full interaction.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Why are you blaming Google ... as though it's their fault?

Really the only stuff that would be impacted by regions is web content and streaming services - which you likely have your own offerings for.

Meh, I get the content providers are assholes about licensing outside of the US, but this is google we're talking about here. They should be able to have some sway in the matter. It's just that every service that involves a content provider is basically locked away, and it's not like I'm in some tiny country on the other side of the planet, I'm in Canada! It just doesn't seem like they really bother, I mean why is Currents not available in Canada?

kehs

Banned
Meh, I get the content providers are assholes about licensing outside of the US, but this is google we're talking about here. They should be able to have some sway in the matter. It's just that every service that involves a content provider is basically locked away, and it's not like I'm in some tiny country on the other side of the planet, I'm in Canada! It just doesn't seem like they don't really bother, I mean why is Currents not available in Canada?

Nah, these licensees are assholes. They(ABC, NBC) block the Google TV browser from accessing the videos on their websites.

It's ridiculous, It's just another computer you dillholes!

First day of using my Nexus on a work day. Pretty satisfied. I have the screen at full brightness and am still using the phone considerably more than I expect to in the future due to new phone syndrome.

The one question I have is about the steep drop which corresponds with the mobile network signal turning brown. My assumption is that I had a very weak 3G signal at this point, hence the change in colour and steep drop. Can anyone who has more experience reading these graphs confirm?

gCFt6.png

8bx2j.png

Sarcasm

I am going to the phone store in a few hours and really want to know on the note,

how is the HD Super OMLED (which note has) vs Super OMLED Plus?

Raistlin

Meh, I get the content providers are assholes about licensing outside of the US, but this is google we're talking about here. They should be able to have some sway in the matter.
If only. Believe me ... they tried. As a matter of it was pretty big news how bad things failed.

Then again that was more about simply getting US web content to work on their browser ... in the US. What you're asking for is even more impossible. Essentially no one has gotten it ... including companies bigger than Google.

It's just that every service that involves a content provider is basically locked away, and it's not like I'm in some tiny country on the other side of the planet, I'm in Canada! It just doesn't seem like they really bother, I mean why is Currents not available in Canada?
Exactly how could they not have content providers involved ... there wouldn't be any content then :p

Are you not aware of why region blocking occurs? It's really not something content providers are going to bend on until some sort of entirely new universal paradigm is devised. Entire industries are based on the fact it exists.

Raistlin

I am going to the phone store in a few hours and really want to know on the note,

Higher res, but has some aliasing since it's back to a pentile display. Hopefully their next iteration will improve upon it.

Carton

I have both the Galaxy Note and the Galaxy S2; the Note's display is vastly superior. I find switching from the Note to the S2 to be quite jarring, not just because of the size, but the difference in resolution, too.

AH well, guess screw it and still get it.

The Note's display is not perfect, but, in my opinion, it's the best on the market overall.

Sarcasm

That will be very short-lived.

Expect some awesomeness at CES.

GO on please? Cause over here phone is expensive since you

Shop Phone, than shop Carrier. Though you get unlocked phones over here so that's a plus, no waiting on carriers for updates etc.

I want the note due to screen size, I wanted something in between cell phone & tablet.

Divvy

If only. Believe me ... they tried. As a matter of it was pretty big news how bad things failed.

Then again that was more about simply getting US web content to work on their browser ... in the US. What you're asking for is even more impossible. Essentially no one has gotten it ... including companies bigger than Google.

Exactly how could they not have content providers involved ... there wouldn't be any content then :p

Are you not aware of why region blocking occurs? It's really not something content providers are going to bend on until some sort of entirely new universal paradigm is devised. Entire industries are based on the fact it exists.

Fair enough, I guess it's just the way it compounds on the fact that some of google's own stuff doesn't work here either like voice.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Share to Google TV is enough for me, if you have an htpc then maybe it's not a good idea but I'm loving it, between Netflix YouTube and access to my media server it's the best 80 bucks I've spent on tech.

^^^ this

3.1 changed everything. It was ok before but now it's like having a tablet.

Raistlin

GO on please? Cause over here phone is expensive since you

Shop Phone, than shop Carrier. Though you get unlocked phones over here so that's a plus, no waiting on carriers for updates etc.

I want the note due to screen size, I wanted something in between cell phone & tablet.
I don't have any inside info, but I'm expecting competition.

It's the first 'HD' phone screen, and we're about to start CES where companies will be showing stuff they'll be launching all year. I don't think it's a stretch to assume there will be competitors with other HD screens.

Sarcasm

I don't have any inside info, but I'm expecting competition.

It's the first 'HD' phone screen, and we're about to start CES where companies will be showing stuff they'll be launching all year. I don't think it's a stretch to assume there will be competitors with other HD screens.

SO basically doesn't really matter. Cause in X amount of years I will most likely upgrade again?

I just want to make sure that I don't buy something bad >.>

Carton

GO on please? Cause over here phone is expensive since you Shop Phone, than shop Carrier. Though you get unlocked phones over here so that's a plus, no waiting on carriers for updates etc.

Keep in mind that even if a similarly sized device is announced at CES, you're still likely looking at a wait of a couple of months before it comes onto the market. But by all means hold off for a week until CES is over, and make an informed choice based on facts.

Sarcasm

Keep in mind that even if a similarly sized device is announced at CES, you're still likely looking at a wait of a couple of months before it comes onto the market. But by all means hold off for a week until CES is over, and make an informed choice based on facts.

CES is in a week? Kinda disconnected with everything since moving to Taiwan. Where can I read up when its done?

jokkir

Tried Google Wallet again today at McDonalds. Blew this guys mind right behind me who was waiting for his food lol.

I can't wait until this officially comes out in Canada.

Carton

Bad in what way? I can list a number of flaws, but overall, it's a fantastic device. If your emphasis is on reading/browsing, you'll love it; I have a 1300 page, image rich, medical text book on mine, and the Note handles it very smoothly, and it's readable without zooming.

CES is in a week? Kinda disconnected with everything since moving to Taiwan. Where can I read up when its done?

Yep. Jan 10-13

http://arstechnica.com/
http://www.engadget.com/
http://www.wired.com/
http://www.slashgear.com/
http://allthingsd.com/

I also anticipate we'll have a dedicated thread on OT neogaf, and that this thread will be on top of the major android announcements.

jokkir

The ICS browser isn't all that bad, actually. It takes some time getting used to but seems good once accustomed to it. Although, there are some improvements here and there that could be made.

Raistlin

SO basically doesn't really matter. Cause in X amount of years I will most likely upgrade again?

I guess my only advise is to watch CES to see if anything is announced that piques your interest.

It starts Sunday. I think it would be silly to run out and buy something tomorrow when the biggest consumer electronic show of the year starts in a few days.

Besides the links Carton gave, there's also a gaf thread for it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457795

Divvy

Tried Google Wallet again today at McDonalds. Blew this guys mind right behind me who was waiting for his food lol.

I can't wait until this officially comes out in Canada.

How did you get it to work in Canada? The apk I installed told me It wouldn't work here.

MiniKelly

The ICS browser isn't all that bad, actually. It takes some time getting used to but seems good once accustomed to it. Although, there are some improvements here and there that could be made.

it is ok. I hate going to bookmarks. It takes 2-3 steps.
I wish there was a menu button to go to bookmarks.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, the USA has yet to get the Note? i don't feel so neglected anymore. :)

[quote="random dude on Engadget]"at&t version will NOT have the home button (4 capacitive buttons), will have LTE, which means the snapdragon processor. As for the at&t bloatware, or crippled features (no wi-fi tethering), that's anyone's guess. [/quote]

SHM, if that's true than i pity you USA folks. Or buy one out of contract, I'm very happy with the device. The only problem i have is that many games don't "support it" and won't sell it to me through the Android Store or Samsung Apps, even though they seem to run without any tinkering.

jonno394

Hi guys, sorry if this is a stupid question but I just received a Samsung Galaxy S i9000. This has been unlocked by the previous owner.

It is currently running 2.1 and I would ideally like to upgrade it to 2.3.5, is this possible to do with the official firmware even thought it has been unlocked?

Angst

Hi guys, sorry if this is a stupid question but I just received a Samsung Galaxy S i9000. This has been unlocked by the previous owner.

It is currently running 2.1 and I would ideally like to upgrade it to 2.3.5, is this possible to do with the official firmware even thought it has been unlocked?

Yeah, if 2.3.5 is officially available you can install the firmware. You'll lose root though. And I think you have to install it from recovery.

jonno394

Yeah, if 2.3.5 is officially available you can install the firmware. You'll lose root though. And I think you have to install it from recovery.

Thanks for the quick reply and info! I might look into it over the weekend, not overly tech savvy with android as this is my first experience with one of their handsets,

Angst

Thanks for the quick reply and info! I might look into it over the weekend, not overly tech savvy with android as this is my first experience with one of their handsets,

Are you on an official ROM today? I'd recommend installing Cyanogen 7 or an ICS based ROM. Anyone else here that actually have the phone that can give jonno some advice?

If I was going to make up a story about my grandma not being able to use Android, "making a call" would be the last example I'd use.
You're grandma has some problems if she can figure out an iPhone, but not an Evo. iOS/Sense are BARELY different as far as making a call.

My old man could only use android phones because 3.5 inch is too damn small and his eyes are shit and he has thick fingers.

Thankfully the EU are doing their best to have the EU treated as one market rather than individual countries when it comes to stuff like rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom