• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
sony_ericsson_xperia_hd_nozomi_leak_1-580x435.jpg

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/01/...pictures-ahead-official-launch-las-vegas-ces/

more leaks. I think it's nice, no MicroSD support aside

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Very sharp looking phone. Beautiful hardware from Sony, as always. Get rid of those buttons, though.

Glad to see no SD card support is becoming more prevalent. Good riddance.

tino

Banned
I think its dumb for Sony to move away from the Xperia Arc design to this dumb square design. This is the same shape Motorola has been using for its B-tier phones.

Why do you say this? Because if there's no SD card support then HTC would hopefully give you more than 192MB to store all of your apps on? Because that space could be used for a bigger battery? Because loading stuff from SD cards is slow and degrades performance?

gcubed

Why do you say this? Because if there's no SD card support then HTC would hopefully give you more than 192MB to store all of your apps on? Because that space could be used for a bigger battery? Because loading stuff from SD cards is slow and degrades performance?

HTC's uninspired design and features is already causing them problems. Hopefully they figure out the reason they went downhill so fast was because of this

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Very sharp looking phone. Beautiful hardware from Sony, as always. Get rid of those buttons, though.

Me too. I hate people being able to add more storage to their phones.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I need a new phone. Been using a ZTE Blade, which I lost. Now I think I'm ready to get a more capable phone (the Blade was my first step into the world of smartphones). So I'm thinking SGS2 or Galaxy Nexus. The Nexus really doesn't have anything the SGS2 does except a larger screen with a higher resolution, right? Since the Nexus is a lot more expensive, doesn't it make sense to get the SGS2 instead?

And yeah, I know I should probably wait for new models to come out (if only because that should make the SGS and the GN cheaper).

kinggroin

Banned
I need a new phone. Been using a ZTE Blade, which I lost. Now I think I'm ready to get a more capable phone (the Blade was my first step into the world of smartphones). So I'm thinking SGS2 or Galaxy Nexus. The Nexus really doesn't have anything the SGS2 does except a larger screen with a higher resolution, right? Since the Nexus is a lot more expensive, doesn't it make sense to get the SGS2 instead?

And yeah, I know I should probably wait for new models to come out (if only because that should make the SGS and the GN cheaper).

Support and a stock 4.0 experience

i think we all get a pretty much stock experience thanks to the holo option now. (i could be wrong)

wait until after CES to decide on a new phone, some of those phones will be out as early as Feb.

AndyD

aka andydumi
As of tomorrow I will be off contract on Verizon, so based on CES I will decide what kind of update to go with. I really want to get motorola made phone.

kinggroin

Banned
As of tomorrow I will be off contract on Verizon, so based on CES I will decide what kind of update to go with. I really want to get motorola made phone.

They make 'em like tanks, I must say.

Hopefully these upcoming phones take advantage of gorilla glass 2.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, there's that... But replacing TouchWiz with a clean 4.0 install isn't very hard with an SGS2 either. So that leaves device support, I guess.

I imagine the Nexus will get more official support but the SGS2 is very popular so it will have lots of support from the community. You can't really go wrong with either phone to be honest, they both are awesome. I have a SGS2 and i love it, and i came from a ZTE Blade too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Wut. Why?

"There's no particular hardware reason a device can't have both. The problem is that there is no good UI for it.

One of the core Android principles is that you never need a file manager. Ever. We wanted to avoid the obnoxious "sneeze and a file picker appears" syndrome of basically every other OS. Local data that apps know how to handle should just be magically available within the apps, or stored in the cloud. You shouldn't have to go spelunking on your SD card to find data.

The problem with having both internal storage and SD cards is that suddenly that goal gets a whole lot harder to achieve. For a given shot, should the camera save to internal-16GB, or to SD card? Should an app from Market be installed to internal or SD? etc.

Yes, we can solve this by letting the user choose, or have it be in settings. But then, that's a file picker, or close enough to the file picker experience that we dislike it just as much.

And besides that, there are API consequences: if you stick in an SD card with photos on it, do you add those to the system media content provider? If you do, you will screw up apps because they aren't designed with the concept that photos can come and go.

What we will probably do eventually is add an import/export concept to removable storage. So the Camera will always save to internal-16GB, and when you pop in an SD card (or insert a thumb drive on USB host devices) you can start a migration or import/export dialog.

But until we have that, devices will generally either have an SD card, or a large internal storage, but not both. I totally get that a lot of people like SD cards, and I miss USB Mass Storage myself. But then, that's why it's great that there are so many devices to choose from. :)

tl;dr: it's a can of worms. We're thinking about compromises for future versions."

More discussion at the link: Android Engineer Dan Morrill Brings To Light Reasons Behind Galaxy Nexus' Lack Of USB Mass Storage

thespot84

"There's no particular hardware reason a device can't have both. The problem is that there is no good UI for it.

One of the core Android principles is that you never need a file manager. Ever. We wanted to avoid the obnoxious "sneeze and a file picker appears" syndrome of basically every other OS. Local data that apps know how to handle should just be magically available within the apps, or stored in the cloud. You shouldn't have to go spelunking on your SD card to find data.

The problem with having both internal storage and SD cards is that suddenly that goal gets a whole lot harder to achieve. For a given shot, should the camera save to internal-16GB, or to SD card? Should an app from Market be installed to internal or SD? etc.

Yes, we can solve this by letting the user choose, or have it be in settings. But then, that's a file picker, or close enough to the file picker experience that we dislike it just as much.

And besides that, there are API consequences: if you stick in an SD card with photos on it, do you add those to the system media content provider? If you do, you will screw up apps because they aren't designed with the concept that photos can come and go.

What we will probably do eventually is add an import/export concept to removable storage. So the Camera will always save to internal-16GB, and when you pop in an SD card (or insert a thumb drive on USB host devices) you can start a migration or import/export dialog.

But until we have that, devices will generally either have an SD card, or a large internal storage, but not both. I totally get that a lot of people like SD cards, and I miss USB Mass Storage myself. But then, that's why it's great that there are so many devices to choose from. :)

tl;dr: it's a can of worms. We're thinking about compromises for future versions."

More discussion at the link: Android Engineer Dan Morrill Brings To Light Reasons Behind Galaxy Nexus' Lack Of USB Mass Storage

The main consequence I've noticed to this is that there's no partition. My storage is 32g on my nexus, that's it. So there's no limit to apps or whatever because of some stupid partition the manufacturer put on.

gcubed

The main consequence I've noticed to this is that there's no partition. My storage is 32g on my nexus, that's it. So there's no limit to apps or whatever because of some stupid partition the manufacturer put on.

that was the OS. It got fixed in honeycomb and carried into ICS

Kagami

There's no reason microsd cards can't be used as expandable storage that gets formatted to an Android-specific filesystem (Not fat32/exfat) and added to a single pool of storage space from a user point of view.

Expandable storage is a good thing, because microsd cards keep getting bigger and cheaper, whereas mobile data has been become more limited and more expensive, making "the cloud" suck for phones.

There's not even a single Android phone with 64GB of internal storage like the iPhone 4S, much less 80GB like I can have on my current Android with 16GB internal + 64GB microsd. It's all fine to talk about user interface issues but if the end result is I'm stuck with a crappy 8 or 16Gb of storage, screw that.

thespot84

There's no reason microsd cards can't be used as expandable storage that gets formatted to an Android-specific filesystem (Not fat32/exfat) and added to a single pool of storage space from a user point of view.

Expandable storage is a good thing, because microsd cards keep getting bigger and cheaper, whereas mobile data has been become more limited and more expensive, making "the cloud" suck for phones.

There's not even a single Android phone with 64GB of internal storage like the iPhone 4S, much less 80GB like I can have on my current Android with 16GB internal + 64GB microsd. It's all fine to talk about user interface issues but if the end result is I'm stuck with a crappy 8 or 16Gb of storage, screw that.

It's not an issue with what the user sees, it's an issue with what apps see, that's there the API comes in. If i design an app, where does it look for files? Where does it store data? If it's on the SD, and the SD has been abstracted to look like the rest of the phone, the app breaks if you remove the card. What if there's a folder on the SD that has the same name as a folder on the card? how are conflicts resolved? The point of expandable is that it's removable. Removable causes all sorts of problems.

I'm not saying is the right design (I believe it is, IMO), however I am saying there ARE reasons why expandable storage causes issues, it's not as simple as just letting the user control it.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
samsung-galaxy-note-att-pocket-now.jpg

As if you weren't convinced that Samsung's almost-certainly-gigantic Galaxy Note was coming to AT&T, well... good luck refuting this. Just a day after an accessory vendor seemingly outed the truth, PocketNow has stumbled upon what appears to be the first legitimate press images for the Gingerbread-based handset. It's going by SGH-I717 internally, and it'll purportedly boast a 5.3-inch display (1,280 x 800), a 1.4GHz Exynos processor and a promise to get its user all kinds of stares. As for a release date? Betters might place a few bills on Valentine's Day -- we'll let you peer some more and ponder why.

Looks like it's gonna have Exynos -- nobody mentioned LTE support.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/06/samsung-galaxy-note-att-press-images-leaked/

Bboy AJ

Android hardware buttons look so antiquated already. And it's only been a few weeks since the Nexus.

kinggroin

Banned
Android hardware buttons look so antiquated already. And it's only been a few weeks since the Nexus.

I hate to admit it, but you're right. I'm doing everything on the nexus more efficiently than I did on my DX. The only thing I miss is the long press search for.voice commands. I hate having to go to the homescreen just for that.

Blackhead

Redarse

I'm not all that convinced. There are little niggles that bug me like the jarring transition every time a youtube video switches to fullscreen and the 'wrong' placement of the buttons when the phone is flipped to landscape while held in my left hand. I havent seen any useful mods for the soft buttons either (menu buttons and search buttons don't count). Now if someone would mod it into a gesture area...

Bboy AJ

I hate to admit it, but you're right. I'm doing everything on the nexus more efficiently than I did on my DX. The only thing I miss is the long press search for.voice commands. I hate having to go to the homescreen just for that.

Yeah, that's the only thing I miss. But I have to say long pressing on a search button is bad UI. I hope the team figures out a more clever way to do voice actions. Maybe it'll be long press the home button...

I'm not all that convinced. There are little niggles that bug me like the jarring transition every time a youtube video switches to fullscreen and the 'wrong' placement of the buttons when the phone is flipped to landscape while held in my left hand. I havent seen any useful mods for the soft buttons either (menu buttons and search buttons don't count). Now if someone would mod it into a gesture area...

What's up with the random dots? Not a fan of that.

kehs

Banned
Yeah, that's the only thing I miss. But I have to say long pressing on a search button is bad UI. I hope the team figures out a more clever way to do voice actions. Maybe it'll be long press the home button...

They should just add it next to the settings button in the notification tray.

So since AT&T decided to be evil and make a $20 option the only texting plan available, I'm looking for alternatives that only use data. I know iPhone users can use iMessaging; is there anything like that for Android? Really, the only people I text regularly are my family, who are (or soon will be) iPhone users, so I'm looking for something that works across Android and iOS. Is such a thing even possible?

Talon

So since AT&T decided to be evil and make a $20 option the only texting plan available, I'm looking for alternatives that only use data. I know iPhone users can use iMessaging; is there anything like that for Android? Really, the only people I text regularly are my family, who are (or soon will be) iPhone users, so I'm looking for something that works across Android and iOS. Is such a thing even possible?
Google Voice

Bboy AJ

Google Voice. It's far better than iMessage. The difference is you use a new number and can't use your old one.

Husker86

Google Voice. It's far better than iMessage. The difference is you use a new number and can't use your old one.

...and can't send MMS and is not always instant.

Yeah, I'm bitter :( I could live without the MMS, it's the (rare) delay that gets me. And the fact that I have to use the Google Voice app.

Am I dreaming or did they say you would be able to use Google Voice messaging with the stock messaging app in ICS? Because I haven't seen a way to do that.

Talon

Yeah, that's sort of a major issue.

It can be used, though, if you're willing to give a new number to everyone you know. God, it's 2012. Why are we still stuck to arcane phone numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom