• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Anyone have the LG Optimus One P500? My mom got one for $70 to use as a pay-as-you-go phone. It's got Android 2.2.1 and I was wondering if it's worth updating it to 2.3

gcubed

For me, I think Google TV should be scrapped completely and just add a TV app to ICS. Then you can run android on your TV and reduce fragmentation. ICS should be standard across all devices.

Thats a terrible idea. ICS is made for touchscreen devices. They could roll in tv functionality and thats their ultimate goal but ics as of now is a terrible deal

r1chard

This is the ROM you want to be using until Google gets ICS for the NS sorted out.

Hmm. The biggest problem I had with the two ICS ROMs I tried (Google's and CyanogenMod's) was that my GPS no longer worked. That was a deal-breaker for me. I'm not sure I can be arsed updating to Yet Another ROM without being certain that the GPS will work with it, and given that my case seems to be very rare I'm not sure that's going to happen. It works fine under 2.3.6 though ...

I wonder whether "No Radio or Bootloader included (Use your own)" on that ROM you linked to could possibly be what I'm looking for...

kehs

Banned
Thats a terrible idea. ICS is made for touchscreen devices. They could roll in tv functionality and thats their ultimate goal but ics as of now is a terrible deal
Nah, the only thing Google TV is Google's live TV, launcher, and TV/movies apps. The support for xlarge screens is all that matters.

Non touch screen support has been in android since day one.

next-gen-iconia-tab-1080p.jpg

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...0p-display-ice-cream-sandwich-coming-q2-2012/

kinda want. lol if the battery is awesome.

Well, they rolled Gingerbread and Honeycomb together to make ICS, it stands to reason that in the future they'll roll ICS and Google TV together to make Android 5.0 Skynet.

Apple has been trying to unite desktop Mac OS and iOS, and for the same reason. It just makes sense to have one foundation people can build apps for.

r1chard

Hmm. The biggest problem I had with the two ICS ROMs I tried (Google's and CyanogenMod's) was that my GPS no longer worked. That was a deal-breaker for me. I'm not sure I can be arsed updating to Yet Another ROM without being certain that the GPS will work with it, and given that my case seems to be very rare I'm not sure that's going to happen. It works fine under 2.3.6 though ...

I wonder whether "No Radio or Bootloader included (Use your own)" on that ROM you linked to could possibly be what I'm looking for...

Nope. GPS still doesn't work under ICS using that ROM. At least there's an issue for it now (4 stars, sure to be ignored.)

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Anyone have the LG Optimus One P500? My mom got one for $70 to use as a pay-as-you-go phone. It's got Android 2.2.1 and I was wondering if it's worth updating it to 2.3
A family member of mine got one for Christmas (with Telus, a Canadian provider) and it came with Android 2.2 (the 2.3 upgrade is available). Works perfectly as it is right now. Seeing how the upgrade for a LG Shine Plus from 2.1 to 2.3 created many issues with Wi-Fi & Bluetooth, I'm in no hurry to upgrade the P500 to 2.3. Froyo supports moving apps to SD card so there's no real need for me to upgrade the phone.

DXPett1

ICS was and is made with the goal that Phone, Tablet and TV support is brought together. This Lenovo TV seems to be the first example of the TV side of things. Interested to see what its like in comparision to a dedicated Google TV device (which is just running Honeycomb anyway)

NomarTyme

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
How does one navigate a touchscreen OS and apps with a remote?

Well, the buttons are on a grid - so... remote left/right + select etc? I don't see how it would be much different than any other smart-tv control scheme.

In fact, I imagine there could be some benefits - maybe an app on your phone that lets you use it as a remote - plenty of devices already support that sort of thing as it is.

giga

How does one navigate the Wii's menu screen? Same way.
You're telling me this tv has a wiimote?

Well, the buttons are on a grid - so... remote left/right + select etc? I don't see how it would be much different than any other smart-tv control scheme.

In fact, I imagine there could be some benefits - maybe an app on your phone that lets you use it as a remote - plenty of devices already support that sort of thing as it is.
Google TV apps and market don't show touchscreen apps. They have to be TV optimized. So I'm wondering how "ICS" on this device makes any difference. You can't perform gestures with buttons like you can on a touchscreen and navigating touchscreen apps using that would be extremely cumbersome.

If there's a cursor, they blew it.

kehs

Banned
How does one navigate a touchscreen OS and apps with a remote?
Android has had crosspad input control since day one. The always innovative single comes with a remote that actually has accelerometers /motion control.

Nearly all android apps allow me to navigte through them with the trackball on the nexus one. Same thing on Google TV and non touch screen devices.

giga

Android has had crosspad input control since day one. The always innovative single comes with a remote that actually has accelerometers /motion control.

Nearly all android apps allow me to navigte through them with the trackball on the nexus one. Same thing on Google TV and non touch screen devices.
So you're basically using a dpad or joystick to navigate touchscreen apps. Like tabbing through controls in a PC app instead of using the mouse. What a horrible experience.

kehs

Banned
So you're basically using a dpad or joystick to navigate touchscreen apps. Like alt tabbing through a controls in a PC app instead of using the mouse. What a horrible experience.
Well that's why people build apps for Google TV with a different layout in mind and something that android does intentionally. Small number of rows and columns. Most apps I've used are simple enough on g TV. I haven't bothered with sideloading many things but the one or two apps I have ate anything but "horrible". Between a dpad and a cursor you have enough input to do what you need.

giga

Well that's why people build apps for Google TV with a different layout in mind and something that android does intentionally. Small number of rows and columns. Most apps I've used are simple enough on g TV. I haven't bothered with sideloading many things but the one or two apps I have ate anything but "horrible". Between a dpad and a cursor you have enough input to do what you need.
That's why Lenovo should have put Google TV in it. The Google TV Market doesn't show apps that require touch screen support--which is absolutely necessary because otherwise it would suck hard. Developers should be creating 10 foot UIs and that restriction forces them to.

Cursors lol.

kehs

Banned
That's why Lenovo should have put Google TV in it. The Google TV Market doesn't show apps that require touch screen support--which is absolutely necessary because otherwise it would suck hard. Developers should be creating 10 foot UIs and that restriction forces them to.

Cursors lol.
The market will filter the application automatically based on the device. They don't need Google TV to do that. Device and applications declarations take care of that. Again something that's built into android and the market.

The reason Google TV was needed before during GB is because the os lacked the proper supportbfor things like xlarge screens, res dependent layouts and market app filtering. All of that stuff is already in place post 3.2.

Cursors are lol for screens that arent withing reach?

Lol desktops.

giga

The market will filter the application automatically based on the device. They don't need Google TV to do that. Device and applications declarations take care of that. Again something that's built into android and the market.

Cursors are lol for screens that arent withing reach?

Lol desktops.
And this Lenovo TV has Android Market?

You're not seriously proposing using a mouse or trackpad to control a TV are you? A TV OS isn't a desktop OS.

Kagami

I have one ("LG Thrive" on AT&T) but after I rooted it and messed with some things, it tells me update packages are invalid heh. So it's staying on 2.2.1 because I don't feel like messing with it anymore.
Only thing I can think of I might miss from Gingerbread is the handles for selecting text to copy. (I assume that's a Gingerbread thing anyway.)

kehs

Banned
And this Lenovo TV has Android Market?

You're not seriously proposing using a mouse or trackpad to control a TV are you? A TV OS isn't a desktop OS.
I don't know if it does, and just like hdmi dongle, if it has market support it doesn't need Google TV.

I'm getting along fine controlling my g tv with a combo of d pad and trackads.

I mean its not like people haven't been controlling their TVs with spars for decades. With proper layouts is not that big of a deal as some make it out to be.

giga

I don't know if it does, and just like hdmi dongle, if it has market support it doesn't need Google TV.

I'm getting along fine controlling my g with a combo of d pad and trackads.
I'm sure you are, but excellence in UX goes beyond using cursors for a TV. That's why there are 10 foot UIs.

Pctx

Banned
Any word on Nexus on AT&T getting announced in the next few days of CES?

Only two days to return my skyrocket because i will if they announce it.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I've said it before and I'll say it again but why can't you use your android phone as a remote?

Even a super basic touch screen remote if you don't want to use your phone so it is always with the TV.

kehs

Banned
I've said it before and I'll say it again but why can't you use your android phone as a remote?

Even a super basic touch screen remote if you don't want to use your phone so it is always with the TV.
Connectivity, remotes work on ir and very few phones have ir. That said there are a few products that leverage your wifi to an ir blaster that allow your phone to double as a remote. There's also an ir blaster that plugs into the headset Jack, but I've only seen support for ios.

There's an app for iOS/Android which connects to a Samsung Smart TV using Bluetooth or WiFi which lets you control your TV using the phone as a remote.

Dizzan

MINI Member
There's an app for iOS/Android which connects to a Samsung Smart TV using Bluetooth or WiFi which lets you control your TV using the phone as a remote.

That's perfect and how it should be imo.

If Apple does announce a TV as rumoured, I bet 100000% that it will feature iPad/iPhone as the control input.

It just makes sense to me. Remotes with big ass buttons look so dated compared to all modern tech.

Raistlin

For me, I think Google TV should be scrapped completely and just add a TV app to ICS. Then you can run android on your TV and reduce fragmentation. ICS should be standard across all devices.

For several reasons, that's a bad idea.

• GoogleTV needs to have a 10' user interface, which doesn't have the same requirements as a phone or tablet UI.
  • The actual physical interaction necessitates a remote control, it's not a touch UI. Many interactions cannot be directly mapped to work well using both.
  • There is core functionality that just isn't needed in ICS. Things like overlaying graphics on DVR or live TV streams, PiP, etc. Why should all of that be sitting in the OS footprint of a phone? Moreover, I suspect it needs to actually interact with the TV's video processor.

I like that Google is working on getting a solution for both phone and tablet, but that's a much different beast than a TV UI. Phones and tablets' physical interactions are basically the same, the UI really aren't all that different ... more just a layout shift to make better usage of the greater real-estate ... etc.

What you're asking for would be akin to Windows packing their desktop and server products into one release. It just really doesn't make sense. The needs are sufficiently different, that the best solution is to offer different products. Sure they share a lot of things at the kernel level, but actually trying to pack everything into one would just yield a bloated mess with worse performance, and maintenance problems.

I'll simply pose this question. What would be the actual benefit of merging them together? Given that they share a kernel and GoogleTV can access the app market ... what is actually gained by such a merge? It seems like there's more potential negatives than positives.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Finally upgraded to a Galaxy S2 (I'm on Sprint and coming from a Palm Pre which I had from launch). Haven't messed with the phone much other than get it setup with my account, anything I should know for starters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom